Vanguard tank returning after 2-3 years off

Chazcon

So getting back into the game and getting set up again I notice these things...

• I must have left before 4.0, nevermind 5.0.
  • Stats are consolidated, skill trees all different.
  • There used to be a thread from dipstik and KeyboardNinja with some heavy math about tank stats. They still maintaining that? Think the 3.0 calcs are still valid?
  • Looks like level cap is now 70.
  • Maybe I should roll a new Vanguard and play up to max to get used to all the changes organically. Would be fun anyway after so much time away.

To be clear, vanguard dps are fine in PVE, it's just PvP that they are having problems in. Vanguard tanks are fine in PvP, jugs are probably better but as long as you have a pocket healer, vanguard tanks are probably the best (good aoe dmg). If no healer, they are still fine, just not great.

Right now, the tankiest class is shadow (they get a 60% dmg reduction every 15 seconds from a utility), followed by jugs, followed by vanguards. The class that can do the most damage as a tank is vanguards, barely beating out jugs (and only in fights that reflect doesn't do anything) with shadows bringing up the rear by a good amount. Right now, all things equal I'd say jugs are probably the best, with vanguards and shadows next based on what you are doing and how good your group is (i.e. if you have great healers but poor dps, go with vanguard, but if you have meh healers and great dps, shadow is the way to go).

Anyway, all the tank classes are viable for all content in the game, and especially if you are doing sm and hm ops (which I assume you'll be doing for at least a little bit as you get back up to speed).

To be clear, vanguard dps are fine in PVE, it's just PvP that they are having problems in. Vanguard tanks are fine in PvP, jugs are probably better but as long as you have a pocket healer, vanguard tanks are probably the best (good aoe dmg). If no healer, they are still fine, just not great.

Right now, the tankiest class is shadow (they get a 60% dmg reduction every 15 seconds from a utility), followed by jugs, followed by vanguards. The class that can do the most damage as a tank is vanguards, barely beating out jugs (and only in fights that reflect doesn't do anything) with shadows bringing up the rear by a good amount. Right now, all things equal I'd say jugs are probably the best, with vanguards and shadows next based on what you are doing and how good your group is (i.e. if you have great healers but poor dps, go with vanguard, but if you have meh healers and great dps, shadow is the way to go).

Anyway, all the tank classes are viable for all content in the game, and especially if you are doing sm and hm ops (which I assume you'll be doing for at least a little bit as you get back up to speed).

Problem is in regard to defenses and this is my two credits, Vanguards just don't cut the mustard. I mean it's pathetic when Commandos have better defenses than Vanguards. Plus our leveling is atrocious.

Guardians get leap at level 2 and Shadows can stealth, but Vanguards don't get their charge till lvl 57? And grappling hook at what lvl 18?

There are still problems that need to be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[*]Maybe I should roll a new Vanguard and play up to max to get used to all the changes organically. Would be fun anyway after so much time away.

This would be my recommendation. With the changes to abilities and talent trees, you are likely going to have a bit of a reacquainting period. Not to mention, you are going to have to level to the new cap anyways, and gearing will basically start from scratch with the new Command XP/Unassembled Components stuff. Blitzing up to level 60 is actually the easier part of prepping for endgame tanking, but starting a new character from scratch might allow you to get a little more invested in them, rather than trying to remember what you did with the old one a few years ago.

• 11 months later...

• There used to be a thread from dipstik and KeyboardNinja with some heavy math about tank stats. They still maintaining that? Think the 3.0 calcs are still valid?
  • Maybe I should roll a new Vanguard and play up to max to get used to all the changes organically. Would be fun anyway after so much time away.

I rerolled for all of those reasons. It's been very helpful - and leveling is super fast.

I loathe the over simplifications - you even pick your advanced class from the start now.

But, the changes are growing on me.

Doubt the calcs are still valid - BUT there are plenty of updated calcs out there.

Ok - maybe not plenty - but they exist.

WB :D

Sounds like you've been away closer to 6 or 7 years my dOOd.

Skill trees got merged in 3.0.

Dipstik and KBN have long since quit (was good friends with KBN)

Yes the level cap is 70 soon to be 75

I hate leveling so wouldn't suggest it.

As a vanguard tank main from day one, Yes we are the most lacking tank right now, but it's fine in both PVP and PVE.

• 6 months later...