Class Representatives Are Here!

EricMusco

This seems like a good move on my initial look. I think that the community can police itself enough that the reps will do a good job. I am not concerned about that side of things.

I am concerned about what the devs are going to do with this. If this becomes yet another tool to placate and postpone, I will be very disappointed. However, if it spurs dev interaction with the community I will be ecstatic.

Edited by Doulo

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very encouraged by this move. Kudos to EA/BW. As a player with several alts and at least one of each AC I don't really identify with any one particular class. Having said that, it will be nice to have a clearly appointed Rep to direct questions when issues arise.

Now, if there's a Space Combat Rep position I'm your man.

I think the most important aspect is being missed by a few peeps here. This is about helping to streamline communication, and at present only starting with advanced classes, which IMO is something this game needs badly. While I understand classes tend to function somewhat differently in PvP than PvE, this is where said individual chosen for the role, will need to gather all concerns and then present it.

I'm going to assume most "class issues" will be centered on abilities, bugs, etc, and how they perform in their respective environments, so if it's important too others I'm sure it will be relayed by whomever is chosen. This can be a very invaluable tool, and one I hope the team builds on, because like everyone we all want to help make the game better and feel like our issues (no matter what we do in game) are being addessed.

Hopefully as a community we can see this flourish, as I think we all would benefit from this.

Edited by Pistols

Don't know if i missed it, but what about the specific trees within the class? For example, the first round of posts for VG/PT will be all about DPS and the nerf they received in 2.0. What about PT/VG tanks and there questions? Electing a rep who knows or understands PVE, PVP and all specs within an advance class will be near impossible.

I don't think it will be that impossible. After scoping all the AC threads, there is a good consensus of who would represent all the roles, and both PVP/PVE well. The community is sorting itself out and we will do fine with that. How will BW sort itself out and whether Eric Musco will get pounded in the middle is the question.

Only a small fraction of players use the forums so these so-called representatives aren't representing much of anyone other than the vocal minority. Of that small fraction, how many use the class forums? I know I don't because there is nothing useful for me to be found there. I'm not deluded, I know I only speak for myself , I just wonder how many other forums users don't use the class forums.

Only paying players can post so you've already excluded members of the player base who might actually want to participate. And before people say it, not that it'll stop them, leave your 'they should pay' bull crap at the door; a player is a player no matter how they choose to play.

As Lunafox pointed out, this is really nothing but a popularity contest among the people who use the class forums.

As others pointed out, just reading the forums should give BioWare the information they are looking for, albeit you have to wade through all the bantha poo to get to it.

So yeah, I am not for having class representatives. If this goes forward, that's fine, I probably won't participate and I also know that these 'representatives' will not be speaking for me or my concerns (not that I really have any concerns about my classes and how they function at the moment). It also doesn't help that I don't have a very high opinion of these forums and what is posted in them. That's not to say there aren't good posters/posts, they're just few and far between in the sections I sometimes visit.

Anyway, that's my two credits, don't spend them all in one place..

Great idea, except for the fact that each and every single class will try to vote for SirCopperfield as their representative.

You say this as a bad thing! We could always vote for Sir Marty instead if you prefer :)

This is something we definitely talked about as a part of this program. For now our goal is to launch the Class Representatives and see how it goes. If it is well received on both sides and people like the dialog it creates. If it works, we will talk about expanding it, like you suggested above.

As you can see from this very thread some folks are hesitant about the concept. We too want to see how it goes before we roll it out too broadly!

First, it's good to see this program being implemented. It's something that can greatly help.

Second, I've been in similar programs in the other Star Wars MMORPG and I can tell you from experience that having representatives for each aspect is incredibly important. Especially roleplayers and socializers need representation as they evidently aren't represented enough among the developers which is evident by features that were promised as high priority since launch and even before that (chat bubbles, for example), but PVErs and PVPers and Space players as well. I suggest to create these three representative positions, too. It may also be a good idea to have a position for each crafting/crew skill, gameplay and others as well.

Edited by Glzmo

• Dev Post

Also as a reminder, don't forget to go to your AC forum and nominate folks. Sometime early next week we will reach out to possible candidates and make sure they are interested before we start polling. So make sure if you are a possible candidate you are checking your PMs next week.

Keep the feedback coming as I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. The goal is to increase communication between the studio and you guys, the players, about classes in general. This is definitely an initiative with a lot of community input so your opinions are important!

-eric

Hey everyone!

I am happy to announce today a new initiative that we are going to be launching here on the forums. It is something that we have seen requested since launch, and we think it will do really well in helping to communicate more with all of you on a topic you certainly want more information on; Classes. What we are going to be launching, with your help, are Class Representatives! Here are the details on how they will be selected, what they will do, and a bit about the expectations you should have about the new initiative.

Do this right and make everyone happy. Don't let us down. This is the kind of thing we need.

Edited by idnewton

Expectations

One thing I want to make sure of is that we very carefully hedge some of your expectations of this program. Our number one goal is to get your questions answered. We have known for some time that players have had Class balance questions, and it has been tricky to get them answered. The purpose of this initiative is to get those questions addressed as directly as possible. I want to make sure we stress the following things:

• It is possible, and even likely, that we could disagree with player sentiment towards something in relation to Class balance. Ex: Why does <insert class> suck at <insert thing>?! We may respond that we feel they are in a good place in our design goals and we will do our best to explain why.
  • Attaching feedback to your top 3 in no way guarantees that it will be feedback that is actionable. The purpose is to allow a set dialog between our Combat Team and you here on the forums. Just because something appears in the top 3 provided by a representative does not mean it is feedback that will garner special treatment.
  • Class Representatives are player elected and will not be granted any special access to the BioWare team. If chosen, you won’t have to sign an NDA or anything similar. You will be a player-elected forum user who assists your Class in formulating the top issues and concerns you would like to have BioWare commentary on.
  • As with all things on the forums, please remain respectful. Please respect each other, your chosen Class Representatives, and the BioWare developers.

My biggest concern is that this could just be a way to assuage the QQers. It's understandable that you may not agree with our perspective, or that feedback isn't actionable, but sometimes feedback IS actionable and sometimes when you disagree with us it's because you're wrong.

What happens when someone like KBN or Kitru is selected as a class representative and brings in both the theory crafting and the actual parses demonstrating a major issue with Shadow tank spikiness, and you guys either say "our internal testing doesn't agree", even though we know you didn't originally test with shadows, OR you say "there is a problem, but there is nothing we can do", which reads a lot more like "the devs don't wanna be bothered to put in the actual work".

Now is it incredibly cynical of me to assume that you would select representatives to give the appearance of a dialog without ever actually doing a single thing to address our concerns except pay them lip service? It absolutely is. Keep in mind though that this is a cynicism that has been earned based on past performance. You don't spend over a year destroying peoples' faith in the dev team and then turn around and completely restore it overnight.

This is a nice idea, I approve of it as an idea, but in practice, whatever you may say about expectations and believe me I don't expect a lot right now, if this program doesn't lead to some positive changes on the class balance front, all you will have done with this is made myself, and others like me, even more jaded and cynical when it comes to the development team.

P.S. My cynicism towards the dev team notwithstanding, I should definitely take this opportunity to say that Eric and the rest of the Community team have been very diligent about doing their jobs, and while they aren't perfect, they have been doing a good job and I appreciate their efforts. This idea DOES help address one of their biggest weaknesses, and does so by engaging us and I approve of this 100% from that perspective.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

Hey Bioware, maybe instead of wasting time on this, an initiative like cross-server queues, or more/better (gooder) ops instead of 3 difficulty modes of the same crap, or actually being able to produce a patch that fixes things without breaking other things. Just a few ideas.... small n!

One suggestion, change the format from 3 questions and 3 responses to actual discourse. I think there's a big difference between

Rep: There's an issue with shadow tanks..

Dev: our metrics say otherwise

And

Rep: There's an issue with shadow tank.

Rep: Shadow tanks are experiencing something different

Dev: What are they experiencing?

I think an actual discourse would require more but would also be more useful for both parties. Give them a stickied thread to discuss the issues, just devs and rep, it would let the devs express their standpoint without being mobbed by the foaming-at-the-mouth populace that is gamers.

I really advise having 2 representatives, 1 for PVE and 1 for PVP. I understsand the class rep's is only a messenger and his/her duty is basically talk and compile issues and questions his/her community has about their class but a PVE players will have very different issues and concerns from PVP players. Assassins and Shadows for example. Playing PVE Sin/Shadow DPS is going to be very different from PVP Sin/Shadow DPS. For anyone who frequents the Assassin forums, you only have to look at Wakalord's posts to see how different PVP Sins play compared to their PVE counterpart (i used to play a DPS sin back in HM TFB (50) and ~"i could not relate to half of that PVP DPS assassin thread." Edited by paowee

One suggestion, change the format from 3 questions and 3 responses to actual discourse. I think there's a big difference between

Rep: There's an issue with shadow tanks..

And

Rep: There's an issue with shadow tank.

Rep: Shadow tanks are experiencing something different

Dev: What are they experiencing?

I think an actual discourse would require more but would also be more useful for both parties. Give them a stickied thread to discuss the issues, just devs and rep, it would let the devs express their standpoint without being mobbed by the foaming-at-the-mouth populace that is gamers.

Yes, something along this line. This should not be an interview, but rather a discussion. We are not journalists asking how you plan to make the world a better place, we are concerned citizens that actually want to live in a better world. Communication only works if there is dialog in both directions, not just a sounding board to bounce random thoughts off of (I have a wall that works quite well for that thank you!). *Insert some other appropriate analogy here*

OK, off the top of my head, I think this is a step in the right direction... I do see some things both good and bad in the way you have this set up.

First off, what is to stop monstrous guilds from having their entire guild be the representatives for each class? It would not be hard to imagine one group of people literally being able to control these positions. Then it becomes what that guild and/or guild leader thinks is the problems, not what each class as a whole thinks.

Second, what stops this from being a popularity contest? I know from personal experience that people get really upset when their favorite person does not get this type of position, or that the person voted in is popular and just ignores everyone but the people he/she thinks is cool.

Third, I think that if these people are going to step into this role need to be somewhat vetted a little bit. I really would hate to think that the favorite forum troll gets this type of responsibility (albeit as little as it is to a point) and turn it into a non cohesive rant.

Fourth, what is to stop a person from using multiple accounts to be "elected" multiple times?

In my honest opinion, you need to make this similar to the player correspondent/representative/senate (whatever you want to call it) positions they have at SOE for their games (past and present). I know you have people on staff that are intimately familiar with the system (or at least you did) as I am. People should be applying for this, not being given a popularity vote. These people should show some type of community leadership abilities on the forums and in game. These people should be helpful and courteous and not be rude or disrespectful to community members. They also should not have any in game or forum infractions that resulted in bans (even temporary.

These members should also be around to help players. A central, and knowledgeable voice that new players should be able to turn to for help. This is something that I think is truly lacking in this community. I so often see people ask questions in game or on the forums only to see multiple L2P comments or similar garbage.

Now I know having the other things adds stress to doing something you are essentially volunteering for, but it helps weed out those just looking to have their name in lights from those who just want to help.

And trust me, having spent a better part of almost 2 years at SWG doing the correspondent/senator gig, it can be stressful and it can make you a very unpopular person at times when things do not go the community's way. You have no idea the hate mail/PMs I would get on a daily basis because some change was made to the game against the wishes of the community I represented on the forums. It takes special people to a point to let that crap go. Some people, no matter how hard they try, can't help but to respond to those types of messages. Even without giving these people the extra responsibilities that I and others had over there, it's still going to happen when someone sees that their "issue" was not brought up and they think it's so important.

You could also have these people using their new found status as a soapbox. And trust me that it can be very tempting to do.

This program as you have it now, it at least appears to me, has been haphazardly put together and looks very sketchy (not sure if that is the best choice of word) as to how long it can last as is. I do think you all mean well, but I really think that someone may need to rethink this as a whole. I really think it needs more on BioWare's end of the stick here (so to speak).

Again to reiterate, I don't think this is a bad idea, I just think it needs tweaking.

Just one thing I'm still curious about: does each mirror AC get one or two representatives. To clarify, will Juggernaut and Guardian share the same representative, or will they each have their own? If its the latter one, then maybe one of the factions could propose PVE questions and the other PVP so each part of the game is represented.

Either way, I look forward to seeing how this goes!

Edited by SpaniardInfinity