2018 Expertise Main PVP Stat Is Essential

Icykill_

edit 03/10/2016 guys please direct newbies or people who need help gearing to this thread

*** please note***

The bolster terminal on the fleet is severely broken, making it impossible to test outside of pvp itself....

I can say that if you still have old lvl 60 pvp weapons you can get 2018 expertise... Atleast 190 green items bolster well and better than the 174 pvp counter parts (not weapons)...

Edit: 190 is the highest you can go before you start to lose expertise... DO NOT WEAR EPIC PVE GEAR OVER 190 IN PVP...

Current gearing for PVP in PVE gear works as follows -

For lvl 60-65 players

You can wear a maximum of 190 lvl PVE gear to maximise bolster and expertise... "If" you wear anything over this you will lose expertise, the higher the gear, the more you lose... So "do not wear" epic PVE gear in PVP... Just wear the green 190 items you can get from the fleet vendors

By wearing gear up to 190 and having every slot filled you will get 1936 expertise... This will give you stats slightly below entry lvl PVP gear... And you won't have set bonuses... But this is how all of us pvpers start out and gear up

Obviously the first thing you want to spend your Comms on is weapons so you can get 2018 expertise as weapon crystals do not calculate expertise and aren't included in the equation. This is why you can only get 1936 expertise in PVE gear now ***Note - do not put expertise crystals in PVE weapons, this does not work and will reduce stats as well as expertise ***

My path to gearing up as I get PVP Comms is as follows -

*PVP Weapons (make sure you equipe expertise crystals)

*2-4 pieces of Armor to start out your set bonus... Belts and wrists are the 2 cheapest to start this with

*2 relics

*2 more pieces of Armor to complete your set bonus (you only need 6 out of 7 to do this)

*then you can get ear and implants

*last piece of Armor (number 7)... ** note, you don't need to use a piece from the same set if you don't want to... This allows you to use one of the other Armor pieces from the same vendor if you want slightly different stats to min/max

Gearing for lvl 10-59 players

Firstly bolster works better and simpler than ever and is extremely easy now for this bracket

All you need to do is make sure "Every Slot" is filled and you will automatically get 1936 expertise... Nobody below lvl 60 will have 2018 expertise, all will now have 1936, so the playing field is fair...

There are ways to tweak this, so let me explain

As of 4.0, you can get away with wearing really low gear all the way to 59. But when you get to 60, bolster starts to not work as well. This is where I suggest you upgrade to 190 great items from the fleet Comms vendor.

As you lvl up, you can still upgrade your gear, but so that you don't waste Comms, next do it every 8-10 Lvls. This is what I now do and I've not seen any major difference in bolstered stats.

**A quick explanation - bolster at the lowest lvls completely looks after all of your secondary stats because most low lvl gear has either none or very little... Secondly at the lowest lvl, bolster actually gives you better stats, higher health etc, to offset the higher lvl players extra abilities... As you get higher you get less stats

So as you level up bolster looks after these secondary stats less and less and even your main stats to a certain degree... I'll leave it at that, but if you want to know more just ask**

So you can still upgrade your gear as you lvl, but you don't want to or need to do it every lvl, unless you also need it for pve content.. Bolster starts to get more complicated to tweak the higher you go until you get to 60 (see my lvl 60-65 guide)

Now you might be wondering why gear below your actual lvl?... The reason is if you have gear at your lvl you can lose some main stats in favour of those higher secondary stats in your higher gear... By having it slightly lower, bolster balances those out better...

Relics are different altogether. You can now get ear, relics and implants at lvl 10 to get 1936 expertise, YAY... So make sure you equip them... But non PVP relics don't work in PVP... So what's the point in having them?... Well bolster works by making sure you have every slot filled, so if you don't have them you won't get any expertise for those slots... Now because they aren't actually used in PVP bolster doesn't care what lvl they are... So you can use your lvl 10 ones if you want until you get your PVP ones at 65

Gearing fundamentals for 10-59 to get 1936 Expertise

*** I can't say this enough, EXPERTISE IS YOUR MAIN PVP STAT. All other stats are secondary. You must have every slot filled to have 1936 expertise.

*** so have every slot fill with proper armor, weapons, ear, implants and relics This includes making sure any armor shells you wear are also filled. Ie armor, mods and enhancements. If these are empty they will not bolster and will be just like the slot isn't filled.

*** pick up your first couple of pvp missions "only" from the fleet and hand them in there. You will get free ear, implants and relics from handing them in... Please remember to equip them too ;)

*** You would think this next bit would be obvious, but for some reason it's not... PLEASE, PLEASE, equip crystals in your weapons and off hand... Especially if it's a drop item, they no longer have crystals and your stats get severely punished for not having them equipped, even if you use low lvl crystals, it is better than none *** and only power, endurance or crit ones. *** DO NOT USE EXPERTISE CRYSTALS IN PVE WEAPONS... Which means not till you get them at lvl 65.

If you have any further questions just ask, but please try to do so in the gearing thread I have... The link is in my signature... Good luck and happy Pvping

I've recently seen a huge increase in people gearing with empty armor shells, no ear, implants, relics and no crystals. Ive even had pvp guilds argue with me that running naked give better stats.

I want to clear this up IT DOESN'T. Having empty shells is tantamount to having no armor. Running naked give zero expertise and is the worst thing you can do. Not having ear, implants and relics equiped is the same.

Please try to educate the people, especially the ones you see at LvLs above 16 :o

Original post

Expertise is your most important stat in PVP... Period...

You should always aim to have 2018 maximum expertise Bolster over any other stat including main stats and endurance

It is easy to accomplish once you reach LVL 21 you can get 2018 expertise...

To do this you must always have every slot filled... Including implants, ear and relics... It doesn't even matter if they are the right main stats for your toon.... Lots of people tell me they can't afford the relics or implants early on... But this is where you could equip some of the ones you pick up even if not for your class... Atleast till you can afford the right ones

Once you reach about 50 it can be a little more complicated to have 2018 expertise because of the way Bolster works...

Basic rule... When you upgrade a piece, check either in pvp or at the fleet bolster terminal to see if it has affected your expertise... This shouldn't really be too much of a problem until you reach 53-55... But check anyway

Once you get to 55 the simplest rule is never, ever use items over 162 or you lose Bolstered Expertise... It doesn't matter if your main stats aren't higher or endurance... Expertise mitigates this... Ie if you have 1000 expertise but 42000 health... You can expect to be hit with 16000-18000 Crit hits regularly instead of less regular 7000-11000 Crit hits... When with full bolstered 156-162 gear you will have 33000-34000 health at 55

Even Equiping all 162 gear will give you negative Bolster... Once you reach the critical amount of stats Bolster works from it reduces expertise... Because 162 PVE gear has higher main stats than 162 pvp gear it reduces it... So to get around this some people including myself equip 148 mods and enhancements in our main hand and off hand... This gives you full 2018 expertise

Too many people from LVL 55 wear 168-192 or what ever the highest PVE gear is... Thinking that this helps them... It doesn't... It makes them a target for everyone who knows how bolster works... In Arena, anyone who has health higher than they should, if they had 2018 Expertise, is the first target normally... You are squishy period, no matter your health

Blue or purple LVL 148-156 gear is so cheap now... There should be no reason you don't atleast have this equipped instead of the higher gear that too many people are wearing

For those pre 50, you should always aim to have gear no lower than 5 lvls below... It's not because you lose main stats from having lower, you don't really... But because you can lose out on secondary stats you get from gear closer to your LVL... As you start to LVL you get less secondary stat bolster... So it will gradually reduce those stats and you need to take responsibility in maintaining them... But if you have the highest LVL gear and don't maintain the right mix of secondary stats you can also lose some... I know this is convoluted... To make it easier I try to have purple gear 2 -3 lvls below my max LVL... This seems to give me the right balance

Augments and Bolster work a bit different... You can have any augment LVL you want... But if you go over a certain LVL of stats you lose health to compensate... But you don't lose expertise... You can decide if you prefer the extra other stats or the extra health edit : augments now seem to have a negative affect prior to lvl 65. I no longer wear them till lvl 65 pvp gear.

Also from original post

I know this system is convoluted, but that is the current state of the Bolster/expertise system...

At the end of the day if you don't have 2018 expertise it is detrimental to yourself and you are a burden on your team and they will need to carry you

If I have forgotten anything, please add your thoughts

Edit:

Here are some Vidoes that sum up the differences between wearing gear that gives you full expertise and wearing gear with low expertise

A special thanks to Quinan for making them

Also thanks to Biscreet for putting these numbers together

186/178/168/162 armor.

Stats 186 Endo = 4033 / Willpower = 2690 / Expertise = 0 (without bolstering)

Stats 186 Endo = 4033 / Willpower = 2690 / Expertise =1076 (bolstering)

Stats 178 Endo = 4202 / Willpower = 2682 / Expertise =1092 (bolstering)

Stats 168 Endo = 4179 / Willpower = 2658 / Expertise =1104 (bolstering)

Stats 168 Endo = 4164 / Willpower = 2646 / Expertise =1113 (bolstering)

Edit: we have another positive member trying to educate people. Here is a link to his thread

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8433030&posted=1#post8433030

If you find this thread useful... Please rate it at the bottom of the page so we can try and get it made a sticky, then more people can benefit from it

Edited by Icykill_
Update new data

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Icykill, I know you have extensively experimented, so here is a lazy question: Is 156 or the 148 better as a MH/OH?

It depends if you have all other items equipped with 162... If you do, it is likely you will go over the critical stat point I mentioned and get negative expertise if you use 156 in your main/off hand... I have 162 hilt/barrel/armor, then 148 mods/enhancements because most of my gear is 162... But on one toon I have a few 156 armor pieces and it still goes critical... I got sick of mucking around with it... So I just equip the weapons as I described above... It saves time and confusion

If they're PVE'ers, they actually have access to sweet 154 Dread Guard gear (or 146 gear) that has set bonus.

The former needs some old operation tokens, but the latter is available for basic comms, and includes (weak) relics that bolster and give at least some improvement to damage/healing/absorbtion.

Both of them bolster to 2018 expertise.

If they're PVE'ers, they actually have access to sweet 154 Dread Guard gear (or 146 gear) that has set bonus.

The former needs some old operation tokens, but the latter is available for basic comms, and includes (weak) relics that bolster and give at least some improvement to damage/healing/absorbtion.

Yep... Because they're below 162 they are definately viable

It is easy to accomplish once you reach LVL 21 you can get 2018 expertise...

t doesn't even matter if they are the right main stats for your toon.... Lots of people tell me they can't afford the relics or implants early on... But this is where you could equip some of the ones you pick up even if not for your class... Atleast till you can afford the right ones

I disagree with this. It's level 20 (Light/dark relics are available at level 19 and 20) and I wouldn't spend one credit on lowbie ear/implants when they're going for 20K+ on most servers. That's ridiculous, I wouldn't never ever spend that on a lowbie item. If you're a crafter, that's different and you're all set. If not, just spend the 1000 pvp coms on your capitol planet for the level 20 pvp ear and implants. These can also be purchased while under leveled, unlike planetary coms and level 60 pvp gear. I think they're around 375 comms each. It's a drop in the bucket, I'm usually capped before level 20 anyway and just buying WZ medpack stacks.

Though, while it's probably such a small issue in the grand scheme to be taking dev's time, I think the first level 10 pvp mission should come with a bag filled with; 1 ear, 2 implants and 2 relics in the same way you get a "bag" when you choose your advanced class. I suggest not even giving them a main stat, just something like 5-10 endurance on each. This would give the level 10 1868 expertise when bolstered, because you'd still be missing the head (150). But that is a much more competitive expertise number than the current 1200 that level 10-15's are getting because they're missing all those other slots.

Edited by Ridickilis

I'm looking at pvping more on my sorcerer with absolutely no ranking or pvp gear at all, is this the best solution for me or do I just go into solo warzones and screw my team with no expertise? Critting for 3-4k is just dumb and I'm a waste of space.

I disagree with this. It's level 20 (Light/dark relics are available at level 19 and 20) and I wouldn't spend one credit on lowbie ear/implants when they're going for 20K+ on most servers. That's ridiculous, I wouldn't never ever spend that on a lowbie item. If you're a crafter, that's different and you're all set. If not, just spend the 1000 pvp coms on your capitol planet for the level 20 pvp ear and implants. These can also be purchased while under leveled, unlike planetary coms and level 60 pvp gear. I think they're around 375 comms each. It's a drop in the bucket, I'm usually capped before level 20 anyway and just buying WZ medpack stacks.

Though, while it's probably such a small issue in the grand scheme to be taking dev's time, I think the first level 10 pvp mission should come with a bag filled with; 1 ear, 2 implants and 2 relics in the same way you get a "bag" when you choose your advanced class. I suggest not even giving them a main stat, just something like 5-10 endurance on each. This would give the level 10 1868 expertise when bolstered, because you'd still be missing the head (150). But that is a much more competitive expertise number than the current 1200 that level 10-15's are getting because they're missing all those other slots.

You can't purchase crafted implants till LVL 21... So you can't get full expertise till then if you usually get them this way... I didn't know you could get them from Capitol pvp vendors at LVL 20... To be honest I never visit them because it is PVE gear and I craft my own normally... So I've learnt something... Thnx :)

I do like your idea for the LVL 10 bag of 1 ear, 2 implants, 2 relics... It would definitely make it more fair for people pvping in that bracket... They actually wouldn't even need to have stats... You just need to fill the slot for bolster to give 2018 expertise

People selling implants or relics for 20k plus are opportunists... Keep an eye on the market or craft yourself... I usually see them for between 2-5k on Harbinger... If not, I craft some myself

I've just noticed the relic reference. At low levels, like L21, relics from DS/LS vendor are super-cheap. I am knidda divided between buying two or waiting till L25 when the rakghoul even relics kick in.

Get them now... That's 4 lvls of pvp you miss out on having full expertise... Remember low LVL relics, till approximately LVL 50, do nothing in pvp... You can keep those till you can get those relics that give you boosts in pvp...

A sneaky way to get boosts off these lower ones is to equip augments too them... Then you get the augment stats from that slot, but not the relics stats... It's better than none

I'm looking at pvping more on my sorcerer with absolutely no ranking or pvp gear at all, is this the best solution for me or do I just go into solo warzones and screw my team with no expertise? Critting for 3-4k is just dumb and I'm a waste of space.

If you have it already than it is heaps better than wearing gear that reduces your expertise... Ie anything over 162...

If you have basic comms you can get some 162 gear from the basics comm vendor on the fleet... Another way is to use the first LVL of 162 gear you get from doing the expansion quests... Just don't use the next LVL ones that take you over 162...

I have 2 Sorcs, one was a healer and another dps... I got board of healing at the moment... So I have them both dps... I've LVLd one to 60 who had Brutalizer gear and I have the other at 58, but has no pvp gear at all... I've been able to min max using bolster with 148,153,162 items to get nearly exactly the same stats I had with my first Sorc in Brutalizer gear... This will be viable till I get to 60 and start Equiping pvp gear

So the old pvp gear does not give you an advantage in gear... Except maybe the relics... Which are here nor there in the big scheme of things...

Usually the people who complain about people in pvp gear, are wearing the wrong PVE gear themselves and don't have 2018 expertise... Unfortunately they are also the people less likely to listen when you try to explain why and how to gear properly

I hate to look like a newbie but I never PVP'd until just a few days ago when my son asked me to do it with him. Needless to say without PVP gear we got destroyed. Our problem is that I cannot find any vendors that sell PVP gear except for LVL 60. Where are the lower level vendors?

Thank you,

Kilians

I hate to look like a newbie but I never PVP'd until just a few days ago when my son asked me to do it with him. Needless to say without PVP gear we got destroyed. Our problem is that I cannot find any vendors that sell PVP gear except for LVL 60. Where are the lower level vendors?

Thank you,

Kilians

There aren't any... Have a read of my opening post... You use PVE gear until LVL 60... Even at LVL 60 you need to make sure none of your PVE gear is over 162... My OP explains it all

So pvp gear isn't the issue... Your PVE gear is incorrect for your LVL

What you need to do is min max your gear so you bolster properly... Bolster works to try and give you gear stats for the old LVL 55, 162 pvp gear...

There is a Bolster terminal on the bridge deck of the fleet Vanguard vessel on each faction... You can go there and activate Bolster then, Go back to the main fleet dock and play around with gear to see what Bolster does when you swap items... Only thing to remember, Is if you go to your strong hold it cancels Bolster on the fleet... And if you go into any flash point or pvp it does the same and you need to go back to the terminal to activate it again after you come out of the instance

If you are below 55 it is easier to min max your PVE gear

Edited by Icykill_

A sneaky way to get boosts off these lower ones is to equip augments too them... Then you get the augment stats from that slot, but not the relics stats... It's better than none

My rakghoul relics are all purple-augmented. I am planning to play my lowbie though during next weekend on 2xXP, so chances are he'll zoom those 4 levels in a matter of hours. But, yes, any future character will need to get relics as soon as they are level appropriate.

We all know what happened when the devs gave out bags of free PvP gear for people to get started out, and it's the reason why Bolster exists in the first place. ;)

We all know what happened when the devs gave out bags of free PvP gear for people to get started out, and it's the reason why Bolster exists in the first place. ;)

heh. bolster was around before the free starter sets. in fact, bolster is why the starter sets were necessary in the first place. bolster at 50 (then the level cap) has never made sense. all you need is expertise to prevent ppl from taking better pve gear into pvp and vice versa. also, capping exp at 2018 was a mistake. that also necessitates bolster because pve stats increase steadily, but the expertise numbers remain constant. free pvp starter gear was implemented badly, but I think it was the most viable of all the "gear gap" fixes this game has tinkered with.

Like I suggested.. They don't even need to have stats to make this work... It's just to fill the slot until the person reaches the right level to equipe ones with stats... it is only possible to have 2018 expertise if all slots are filled... Also remember that relics don't work in pvp until you get higher LVL passive ones... And too be honest I think only pvp ones should work in pvp... PVE relics bonuses really have no place in pvp and vice versa

Are the makeb mods decent for 60?

What I'm curious about is how low you can go (again, at 60). Is 162 just going to get you the best results period, or can you go with all 148s, or even lower?

162s are the sweet spot or 156s are ok too... But you will need to put some 148s in your main and off hand if you have all 162s

Sure you can go in with lower and will get 2018 expertise... But I wouldn't suggest it... It would be nearly as bad as going into LVL 60 with less than 2018 expertise...

You can get away with 140-148s up to about 58-59...

Remember ever little bit helps... Wether it's more main/health stats or higher secondary stats

So is this only for pre-60 pvp? I read it a few times and just want to be sure I understand it correctly. I've not played this in a awhile.

It is for pre 60.. but it is also relevant while you are obtaining your LVL 60 pvp gear...

Even at LVL 60 the stats will not be far off exhumed gear... Of course you will be missing the relics and the set bonus...

But it is definately better than people wearing higher LVL gear than 162... Which will reduce your expertise

I saw people yesterday running with 192 gear while trying to get their pvp gear... They had about 1000 expertise and lost us 2 Arenas and more WZs because of it... Same class for class I did 3-4 times as much damage and took heaps more damage... They were so squishy they died quickly

I equate wearing gear that gives you low expertise as getting smashed like a ripe tomato and hitting like a baby

Edited by Icykill_