Buff Melee or nerf Ranged

Trayes

Hey everyone!

Yesterday we had an awesome fight in Ilum. The Reps had a group of 30+ people and so did the Imps. This led to some epic fighting. However any class that didnt have 30m range got auto killed before they could get credit for anything.

Why should a ranged class deal as much damage if not more then a melee class? Melee have to be within 4-10m to do their damage while ranged get to be 30m away.

Why should a ranged class have as much if not more defense than a melee class? Melee classes wear Assassins wear light armor while BH mercs wear heavy armor. Assassins can avoid 50% of basic attacks for 12 sec while BH can lower all damage they take by 25% for 12 seconds.

I feel like ranged classes have way to much going for them as a whole vs melee.

You know, they're called "gap closers" for a reason... what happened to force leap? And the assassin/shadow classes can't use stealth to sneak there way into the target range? Not even a CC or a Stun to buy some time? Edited by JAVAjedi

It's how massive world pvp always works.

Ranged classes set up lines and melee going into the dead zone gets blasted to hell and back.

Welcome to 20 years of design.

they don't get blasted to hell and back.. just straight to hell!

Huge battles always favor ranged. It's just the way it is in any game with tab-targeting. The ranged nukers are tabbing looking for targets and the melees are always the closest targets. It has nothing whatsoever to do with class strength.

You can't fix it through nerfs or buffs.

Why should a ranged class deal as much damage if not more then a melee class? Melee have to be within 4-10m to do their damage while ranged get to be 30m away.

Why should a ranged class have as much if not more defense than a melee class? Melee classes wear Assassins wear light armor while BH mercs wear heavy armor. Assassins can avoid 50% of basic attacks for 12 sec while BH can lower all damage they take by 25% for 12 seconds.

Gap closers is why. The other balancing factor is mobility. As a melee, you're generally able to do 100% of your potential DPS while moving. Ranged classes can't. It gives you repeated chances to catch them because they have to stop to do any real damage to you.

Edited by Caelrie

You know, they're called "gap closers" for a reason... what happened to force leap? And the assassin/shadow classes can't use stealth to sneak there way into the target range? Not even a CC or a Stun to buy some time?

Gap closers, why didn't I think of that. OHH its because all of the ranged have AOE knockbacks.

Force leap, Knocked back. Run at someone spamming blaster fire at you or dots. Also most ranged classes have a 30m range slow.

Also assassin gap closer is force speed. Oh look at that Sorc also has force speed and an AOE knockback. Force speed at a BH merc and they have the biggest knockback in the game. They also have TWO knockbacks.

You know, they're called "gap closers" for a reason... what happened to force leap? And the assassin/shadow classes can't use stealth to sneak there way into the target range? Not even a CC or a Stun to buy some time?

Others have mentioned why this doesn't work in large-scale pvp, but it's also important to note that if you outrange your healers you're as good as dead too. Force leaping into a huge pack of enemies in order to gain melee range also puts you out of range of your healers. Because if they're good healers, they're doing their best to not stand in range of the enemy.

So in short, melee has much more risk just in being melee when it comes to large scale pvp. Unless defenses are fixed to accommodate for the inherent disadvantage melee classes face versus large numbers of ranged classes, then melee is better off just sitting back and being guard bots while running interference on any enemies that get too close.

In a game of 8v8 WZ, your ONE gap closer as a mara/sent is irrelevent when the other team or, game in general is filled with slows, stuns, snares, roots, etc. ONE gap closer, is fair? get real, that`s fair in a 1v1 situation that you can control.

Edited by babiegirlla

Hey everyone!

Yesterday we had an awesome fight in Ilum. The Reps had a group of 30+ people and so did the Imps. This led to some epic fighting. However any class that didnt have 30m range got auto killed before they could get credit for anything.

You never played WAR I guess...

In melee range, you need GUARD AND HEALS to stay alive. Period. If you got Guard and heals backing you up, you should be able to destroy everything.

Problem with SWTOR as it is now, nobody rolls tanks. Tanks absorb dmg, CC and TAUNT ennemies, reducing their outgoing dmg. Billy ****** MDPS shouldn't be able to survive, rightfully so, but give him a tank and heals that knows what they're doing and you'll see a big improvement.

You never played WAR I guess...

In melee range, you need GUARD AND HEALS to stay alive. Period. If you got Guard and heals backing you up, you should be able to destroy everything.

Problem with SWTOR as it is now, nobody rolls tanks. Tanks absorb dmg, CC and TAUNT ennemies, reducing their outgoing dmg. Billy ****** MDPS shouldn't be able to survive, rightfully so, but give him a tank and heals that knows what they're doing and you'll see a big improvement.

And therein lies the problem. It seems that no one thinks to use their taunt ability as a tank in PvP to minimize damage, they just want to rush in like Rambo and be the hero.

And therein lies the problem. It seems that no one thinks to use their taunt ability as a tank in PvP to minimize damage, they just want to rush in like Rambo and be the hero.

Then it's a L2P as a team issue.

MDPS are GODS when backed up by tank and heals. Because 1) All the ennemy will try to focus down the guarded target, wich will then be focus healed by his teammates (in an ideal organized premade), and 2) Since the ennemy will have trouble taking their target out, they will start to run and scatter all over the place, giving your team an opening for a devastating attack on their backline.

SWTOR isn't much different from WAR as far as tanking mechanic works for PvP. These days, a guarded MDPS in WAR is the biggest threat, even though RDPS have the upperhand in PuG fights.

This problem happens outside of ilum too. Melee are weaker in damage and defense then most ranged.

They make up for it by having more mobility and survivability. You know what happens when a Sentinel gets caught? He has a chance to get away. You know what happens when a Gunslinger gets caught? He blows up.

They make up for it by having more mobility and survivability. You know what happens when a Sentinel gets caught? He has a chance to get away. You know what happens when a Gunslinger gets caught? He blows up.

You know what happens when a BH gets caught. He just puts up a shield and walks to a healer while nuking you and laughing because he has heavy armor and % damage reduction.

gap closers, sure, but in a group of 30+ people, every stealth class will tell you that you'll be detected within seconds of stealthing

also in WAR, collision was also a huge factor in pvp. since some of the points you had to defend were inside a random building or choke point. As a Blorc, my cronies and I would line up and literally block the entrance. it was amazing; melee (specifically tanks) played a huge role in the ebb and flow of a battle.

in Ilum there are choke points, but its obviously not the same. it seems we can only play the fishing game at the base as well as some other basic strategies while toolin' around the zone. we can (and should, Im talking to you my fellow republicans {im really, really sorry about that pun but i had too; im actually quite leftist, probably wont believe me but eff' it.}) start to implement some real maneuvers like splitting the group in two, tanks and ranged stay put and keep the enemy's attention while the stealthers and the MDPS flank. it will take some coordinated groups and shared comms but hopefully the melee can be more fully utilized.

Edited by reganomics

That's the problem I have playing a scoundrel. My best moves are closerange or melee, but I have no good gapclosers. And even my melee moves aren't really as powerful as the ranged ones of most of the other classes.

I'm a a big disadvantage if knocked back. Sure, I know I have to give up some mobility for stealth, but I'm still kinda screwed when outdistanced.

Granted... not 50 yet. Gonna wait and see.

Edited by Stenrik