why does it take so long to craft?

swamptuna

Why do you make it take so long to craft items? This is terrible when you're leveling. By the time I'm done making things I've already leveled past what I need. Then if someone is looking for a crafter or if I'm looking for a crafter I'll have to wait till the next day to get my stuff. I would rather you double the time it takes to send your companion on missions than to create. 45 mins to make something, that's just terrible. What if I need 7? Sure I can get it off the gtn, but since I mainly pvp, doing dailies does not appeal to me. Sure they are easy and pay good, but when your on limited time, I don't want to spend all my time farming credits. Please explain to me how this would ruin the game with less crafting time? Edited by swamptuna

Time to craft is a factor in an item's value. Shorten that time, decrease its value. You may not care about that but a lot of players do.

I do understand that. That's why I suggested items with a short craft time would be BOP only. I shouldn't have to wait so long for things I want to use. That I craft myself, how would that ruin the value of anything. The real reason anything keeps its value is supply and demand. If we had shorter times I'm confident the market would adjust accordingly. I'm just stating what I found to be a drawback to a new player......yes I'm a sub:D

Edited by swamptuna

It doesn't take too long if you plan your time. After each planet is complete I consolidate all the gear, mats and loot I've collected. The first thing i'll do is send my comps to craft my armourings to level my cybertech. I'll buy enhancements/mods with planetary comms. While this is going on I'll be crafting any gear I need with a spare companion. I will easily spend a few hours between planets just crafting, buy/sell on the gtn, equipping gear and selling junk.

If you keep your crafting levels high enough, you can gear up as you level. The most important thing imo, is as soon as you interact with your chosen trainer, level that crafting skill up. If you quest without boosting your crafting skills, you'll always be behind.

Finally, if there is an item that takes a long time to craft, or a mission that takes forever to deliver mats, I do them before I log off. If I can live without it till then, I'm fine with that

I do understand that. That's why I suggested items with a short craft time would be BOP only. I shouldn't have to wait so long for things I want to use. That I craft myself, how would that ruin the value of anything. The real reason anything keeps its value is supply and demand. If we had shorter times I'm confident the market would adjust accordingly. I'm just stating what I found to be a drawback to a new player......yes I'm a sub:D

So if I understand correctly you want to increase or even double the already bloated schematic listings: BOE version takes a long time to craft but is sellable; BOP version takes less time to craft but is only usable by the character who crafts it?

And how many CS tickets would be created when someone "accidentally" crafts the BoP version and wanted the BoE?

Sorry too complicated; too many points for potential problems

So if I understand correctly you want to increase or even double the already bloated schematic listings: BOE version takes a long time to craft but is sellable; BOP version takes less time to craft but is only usable by the character who crafts it?

And how many CS tickets would be created when someone "accidentally" crafts the BoP version and wanted the BoE?

Sorry too complicated; too many points for potential problems

If it takes 45 mins to send your comp. Then 45 mins to craft. Whats the difference if all that time was allotted to your comps mission. Its still the same amount of time, but you can actually use your item when you want or need it. If I feel like changing all my mods and things in and out to see whats more beneficial. Or upgrading my companions gear, this wait time is unnecessary . Also to think everyone would be accidentally making the wrong things, I have more faith in players being more responsible than that.

OK now I understand. So you get the item immediately but the companion is on a "cooldown" and therefore cannot be sent to do anything else.

So what happens if I send my companion to craft five things? Strictly speaking you are queuing the companion to craft one thing, come back, go do another, etc. Do I get one right away and have to wait for the CD to expire on the first to get the second? Or do I simply get all five and have a CD that is 5x longer? What about crits?

And your faith is misplaced, trust me.

• 4 weeks later...
It can be a pain at the higher levels, but its not that bad the first 3 tiers if you have an alt network like I do. I got everyone to lvl 25 , with different crew skills. I pop on a podcast and hop from alt to alt sending them on missions or crafting , and by the time I get back to the first character they're ready for more missions.