Operative & Sniper in PvP

Kirti

Warzones is not about doing DPS and I honestly fail to see why people are so bloody focused on it in Warzones. You only get credit for the first 4 medals anyway, so why not work as a group and focus on winning the Warzone? I can get up to 400k as well in a long Voidstar match with MM, it doesn't mean anything at all. If you're highest on DPS in Huttball for example it tells me that you've been doing jack squat about getting the ball across the line.

Read the orginal question. I never said it was all about dps but comparing the 2 its easier to get higher dps as operative over sniper. The majority of what i said was about the utility of the operative in WZ's over a sniper. IE ability to steal a turrent if solo guarded. Keeping people off turrents and bomb placement or removeal through the use of poisons.

And agents carrying the ball is just about pointless since we a squishi class. If i end up with the ball first thing im doing is looking for someone who can take a hit and give them the ball. Powertech's/ warriors/ or an inquisitor.

Since you brought up Hutt Ball. The ability of an operative to sneak up to the scoring area where the ball carrier simply needs to throw it up to him while hes undetected is a big advantage over a sniper. You can almost always score a point if you go bottom with the ball and have a stealthy hiding in the inzone waiting for a pass. You do have to come out of stealth to catch the ball but getting in position is alot easier if your stealthed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a sniper and operative, but I like the OP more, but thats because he can stealth.

i sneak up to a target, and start with backstab - shiv - delibirate - if he uses a knockback => Darts and grenades, followed by a Flash Bang, Backstab and Shiv again.

But like everyone says, in PvP I dont hunt for kills, I go for objectives.

I have a lvl50 sniper i've just got lvl60 BM i have full Champ gear with Battlemaster mainhand.

Im playing Engi/Lethality now in PVP and MM/Lethality in PVE.

In PVP i've tried all the specc full MM full Engi full Leth bla..bla.

Now the Engi/Leth suits me the best for PVP something like this http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/imperial_agent/sniper/#::efe4fef2e2f2e3fef2ef20ef2e2f3e3fef2ef ofc you can change it to get shorter Flash Bang or put 2 point to Adhesive Corrosives for a buffed Corrosives Grenade but it should be enough with buffed Interrogation Probe and Slip Away.

I think the strength of this build is that you start slowly and you go crazy after a few second especially when you pop up your cd's. I just love when an unsuspicious opponent starts to panic and they trying to run or heal themself. They dont expect such a burst dmg in their faces.

Here's what you can do: Start with a Relic and Adrenal im using the power ones then Target Acquired followed by Corrosive Grenade Corrosive Dart Interrogation Probe. Drop cover cast Explosive Probe and Cull and you should be ready for Distraction if its a healer. Series Of Shot if he/she still stands and Takedown.

Gunslingers are pain in the *** when they pop up but if you can survive their first attack you can Slip Away and kite them while you dot them up.

Sorry for the bad English :)

It honestly isnt a contest, the operative for pvp

I levelled both, sniper 1st, mostly through pvp and although I thought it was easier with a sniper until about 25-30, it becomes tons easier for an operative after that

Basically seems like as a sniper you have a huge bullseye on your back all the time

I'm probably doing something wrong, but at level 20-25 (right on the edge of the lowest levels the first poster is asking about): I can top damage meters with my Engineering Sniper while my Sawbones Scoundrel is completely worthless (dramatically worse than a Combat Medic Commando, at least). Edited by Dzhokhar

• 6 months later...
All I got to say is that now a days Concealment Ops are pretty much dead on my server. They are extremely squishy and while having stealth is nice it doesn't mean your undetectable or the only class that has stealth. I see Snipers lasting far long then Ops "Concealment" spec's. And with the new Talent Ghost you get a minor speed increase which you can abuse for unlimited running if your never in combat that is. But the fact remains Concealment is a dead Tree that's hardly worth playing anymore.

i personaly like the OP better.

i have a 36 sniper, and then rolled an OP and got him to 50. i just find they are more fun to play. cooler skills, mobility, stealth exc.

Sniper is just cover/shoot,shoot,shoot run. cover shoot/shoot/shoot exc.

I'm sorry but what? I used to love my sniper, playing yo-yo with the jedi haha! I could hold my own 1v1 and 1 v more with heals, very good DoT's and spike damage, multiple ways to get out of being snared, and the mobility.......why do you stand still as a sniper? the only time you need to cover is when you really need to/have to as most of your good hits do not require cover.......practically the few times I used cover is when I need to defend a spot, and cover has its own advantages (that being our knockback works from it......) AND I can just imagine the faces of the jedi I am yo-yoing which makes it all better :)

Here's how I look at it: cover is just the thing you press before you use attacks, you actually have a good amount of mobility with any sniper spec. Operatives should think in a similar fashion, ie cover is the thing I press before I heal so I can't be leaped to, but it's acquired this weird perception that it makes you stationar. I mean it doesn't use a GCD so why not use it? Edited by Ryvirath

I tend to click the Cover key on my alts, it doesn't work :(

-Patpat- I'm sure they lament the lack of cover protection as much as you do. Tell those alts they should have been more Smugglers/Agents instead of whatever poop they currently are! They'd be better off -Wise nod-

-Patpat- I'm sure they lament the lack of cover protection as much as you do. Tell those alts they should have been more Smugglers/Agents instead of whatever poop they currently are! They'd be better off -Wise nod-

Trust me, I've tried to PM them, but they're always offline! :mad:

Mobility as an OP? You have... 10m 2 second root *gasp*. That about covers your mobility, LOL. Prepare to be kited, rooted and knocked back.

Lethality? No dispel protection = Lethality useless when it will matter (aka rated warzones). Go have fun with randoms, no one cares.

OOhhh that's a whole lot of bitter you got stored up there slick.

For a run-and-gun playstyle you are looking at getting a Lethality sniper.

Your standard attacks would be Corrosive Grenade, Corrosive Dart, Weakening Blast, Cull, Takedown. Of these 5 skills, 4 can be done on the move while chasing a target / kiting a melee, and only 1 needs you to be stationary (Cull is a 3 second channel)

No other class really offers a run and gun playstyle: Mercs require you to stand still to fire Tracer Missile (their bread and butter skill) while Sorcs also need to stand still for most of their rotation.

PT is the ultimate run and gun class.

It boils down to a choice between stealth melee and ranged powerhouse.

OP's utility comes from stealth and the new sprint mechanic to move between objectives very quickly. Infiltrate/Smuggle used with a couple of friends on voice comms can be extremely effective to ninja points guarded by 1-2 opponents.

Sniper also has plenty of utility in the form of 35m range, shatter shot (armour & trauma debuff), leg shot (35m range 4-sec root), orbital strike (shared with OP), 30m flash grenade, diversion (45% acc debuff, breaks sniper/slinger cover, marksman only), red bubble O' goodness, leap/pushback/interrupt immunity while in cover, and full CC immunity while Entrench is active.

In short my rakata & battlemaster-geared commando is only being used for scavenging and an extra set of dailies now that I've created a sniper. That legacy unlock for warzone exp is definitely worth the investment!

Edited by Rigsta

Hi,

if i go back to your first post, where you say you'd want some combination of both, than answer is Lethality Sniper.

Lethality sniper has enough mobility, end yet can use the cover system and sniping attacks.

I play both classes at 50. I like Operative more due to bigger versatility, but only on sniper you can acutally make ppl run from you, with *** pants :)

All the juggernauts/marauders that leap to ppl have trouble, since thay cant leap to you if you're in cover.

This is for a long discussion, but Lethality sniper IMHO is something to go with - you can easily PVP/PVE with this setup, while DPS operatives are not as good in PVE.

Both - OPs and Snipers are good in right hands, but let's face it, Sniper is atm simply better as DPS class. And if you want to do higher end content PVE, Sniper is the answer, while OPs are mostly accepted only as Healers.