Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Heh. I just thought of an interesting idea. I was thinking about what you said about SWG, and I was thinking "yah, pretty much we ALWAYS used chat bubbles in SWG. Well, that is... IF WE WERE THERE."

So the obvious thing is that we should have a holo-call emitter that lasts for a while, so that we can have our friends who are in other locations beam in, and still be able to have bubble convos with us!

Holooooo Bubblllllllles !!! __ :cool:

That exactly was my first thought would happen when I head that TOR would feature holocalls back in the day. Alas, it was only for talking with quest NPCs. I'm pretty sure I posted a suggestion back in the beta forums about this, too, after finding out about thetrue nature of the holocall feature. This might warrant a new thread, however, and is definitely something I'd like to see once we have chat bubbles.

Back on topic, I've cleaned up the main post a bit, corrected a couple of broken links and such.

I really hope we'll see chat bubbles within the next couple of months. Could a dev please drop by and tell us their plans on adding the feature? An approximate patch number would be great!

Before SWTOR was released Bioware made a big thing over the massive amounts of voice dialogs they had recorded to this game. Since they doesnt seem willing to give us any chatbubbles, then my suggestion is that they could extend the voice part a bit further instead.

Why not record a few more voices that can be used for simple dialogs? Lets say that I would like to trade someone, start a group with someone, yell on someone to look out etc etc (there could be about 20-30 different dialogs to choose from). This feature could be accessed via a r-click on another players character image. You r-click on their image and a list of main headlines would pop-up.

Eg.

Group dialogs:

Do you want to group for some quests?

Go right

Go left

We need to go back, I think we missed something

Go straight ahead

What's the stategy here?

Dont attack yet, wait

Get his/her attention:

Look out!

There are enemies in the area!

You are going the wrong way!

Protect our healer!

Common dialogs:

I would like to trade with you

Could you please help me out here?

I'm sure that these dialogs could be much better if a team were to sit down and brainstorm on suggestions for this feature. Another good thing about this feature is that we all could continue to build on it by turning in suggestions of what dialogs we think would improve it further.

Edited by Boccanon

Welcome to the movement! Let's hope our dear developers will finally do something to grant us the request for chat bubbles. It'd certainly convince me to play again (my long-term subscription expires sometime today and that will be it until we get chat bubbles). Fingers crossed!

I keep checking, you have been here for months saying you won't renew, and I have checked today, it has not ended even though you said it would end again and again. You know, I am no expert, but doesn't it weakens your position when you threaten to quit, say you are quitting, but never do?

also, the word subscription in your sig is spelled wrong

All I hear is Merp Merp Merp Merp, Merp Merp, Merp Merp Merp. Don't you have anything better to do than to harass people in threads where they're legitimately pleading for a much-needed feature?? Please edit your post and change it to no more than "I want Chat Bubbles" or "I don't care if they ever add Chat Bubbles".

We need Chat Bubbles !!! ___They're going to arrive one day, I can just sense it! :cool:

hey I am just pointing out a flaw in the argument of the guy I quoted and also telling him his sig is misspelled, how is that harassment?

Edited by Sangrar

I just thought of a possible enhancement, a configurable quick-key entry in the KeyMap preferences, for switching to group-only chat bubbles mode. So you only see Chat Bubbles from people who are in group with you, and everyone else's public chat only shows up in your chat console. This mode would automatically shut off when you leave group to make it convenient to group with someone just to have a Chat Bubble convo! When standing around Carrick Station doing nothing but GTN or crafting or socializing, this would be used ALL THE TIME! Edited by anonnn

And I just thought of a possible enhancement, a configurable quick-key entry in the KeyMap preferences, for switching to group-only chat bubbles mode. So you only see Chat Bubbles from people who are in group with you, and everyone else's public chat only shows up in your chat console. This mode would automatically shut off when you leave group to make it convenient to group with someone just to have a Chat Bubble convo! When standing around Carrick Station doing nothing but GTN or crafting or socializing, this would be used ALL THE TIME!
I like the idea. While I'd be content with chat bubbles for /say chat at this point, hopefully we'll get nice, freely configurable chat bubbles options various channels (what other reason could there be that the feature has been delayed for so long, right?). Then your idea would certainly be something that'd be a great addition. In fact, adding some keybinds to turn it on/off would be cool (and more keybinds in general, too, like for unify color, hide/show headslot, various emotes, etc....but I digress).

Sadly, we don't even get any feedback from the developers what exactly they are aiming or willing to do in regards of the feature. They stated over a year ago that it was delayed because they wanted them to be "fully featured" like they wanted them to be and "get it right", yet they didn't tell us what exactly they mean by "fully featured like they want it to be" or "right". It would be nice if a developer could elaborate on that. Hopefully once it goes live (and hopefully I'll live to see that day), it'll be the greatest chat bubbles feature ever in a MMO(RP)G!

On a side note as a reminder for everyone: Please don't feed the trolls and rule breakers. Simply report them for breaking the rules using the report button and stating the reason for it to help the moderators keep the thread clean and constructive.

Edited by Glzmo

Starting to think this isn't going to happen...

This was in the game at one point during Beta, surely there is a workaround for the performance issues it caused by now?

It will happen bro, they wouldn't be that stupid. They'd be branded fools for life.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm starting to think Chat Bubbles are going to happen. I think maybe they'll start as only in your SWToR Home, and the maximum people in your Home will probably be the Ops group size, which is 24 people so the performance problems won't affect you with so few people. Edited by anonnn

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a fantastic idea and I cannot believe I only stumbled upon this thread today. I have wanted chat bubbles and spatial hat in the game since I first played, back when it launched, so I for one, strongly support this idea!

Bioware, please implement it!!!!!!

As I talked to the technical director in a cantina event, chat bubbles are an absolute nightmare with this game. It caused all sorts of issues/lag in beta when they had them and until they figure out how to fix the technical errors that arise when putting chat bubbles, we are not going to see them. Sorry it's just the truth. It's not on their list of priorities right now for the game but he said they are always figuring out how to do things. Maybe, just maybe if they "crack the code" so it doesn't cause the lag they might be able to do it.

I wouldn't hold my breath though. Sorry!

As I talked to the technical director in a cantina event, chat bubbles are an absolute nightmare with this game. It caused all sorts of issues/lag in beta when they had them and until they figure out how to fix the technical errors that arise when putting chat bubbles, we are not going to see them. Sorry it's just the truth. It's not on their list of priorities right now for the game but he said they are always figuring out how to do things. Maybe, just maybe if they "crack the code" so it doesn't cause the lag they might be able to do it.

Funny thing, I also spoke to him at the NYC Cantina Tour last October, and they said we will be seeing them when they fix the issues, and that it is a thing they are actively working on and a relatively high priority for the UI people.

Funny thing, I also spoke to him at the NYC Cantina Tour last October, and they said we will be seeing them when they fix the issues, and that it is a thing they are actively working on and a relatively high priority for the UI people.
Sadly, I think the developers that are currently in charge of this game don't have a clue or even give a damn on what exactly the issues with chat bubbles were in the first place and what is needed to fix them and implement the feature. I have the feeling it's alot easier to fix the problems they had and to implement them than many of them believe it to be.

If their engineers only had a serious look at the previous implementation from beta and talked to people that actually worked on them (like Corey Kolek who was the only one kind enough to go out of his way to explain to us the reasons why chat bubbles had been delayed originally and that the issue with them was their hogging of too much video memory for video cards with lower amounts of onboard memory and the same fix they implemented for nameplates during late beta could fix chat bubbles but only wasn't implemented for launch due to time constraints - and that they need to get time alloted to work on them to "get them right") they'd be able to implement them rather quickly.

It seems that Bioware simply doesn't care about the feature or the players that have been loyally subscribing for over 2 years to fund chat bubble development and patiently waiting for them to finally keep their promise.

I think the only way we'll get chat bubbles is if somebody that cares about them enough gets put in charge of development.

If I'm wrong, I dare a Bioware representative to drop into this thread (and please read the top post in it's entirety, especially the timeline of previous Bioware comments) and set things straight with a detailed post.

We really don't know what the current status is. Sometimes we get told they are a top priority, other times they are on the priority list and are being worked on, other times that they aren't any priority at all, at times we are told they don't know how to fix/implement them, other times we're told they know exactly how to fix/implement them but only need more time to "get them right", etc.. How are we, as the players supposed to know what exactly is going on regarding this matter? Some transparency would be much appreciated.

If you aren't working on them and don't even have them on your priority list anymore, then please show some decency and at least come here and officially say so, so those of us waiting for them can finally cancel our subscriptions and move on from this mess.

It's just a shame that we are being kept in such a limbo and that promises still haven't been kept after almost two and a half years.

Edited by Glzmo

I hate chat bubbles too. It's just another form of spam.

So as long as they introduce it with an option to disable. I'll be happy :)

Agreed.

Personally I think Chat Bubbles are annoying, but as long as the option to turn them off is included I have no problems.

NO to Chat Bubbles!

Edited by Slay_Victus
Edited to protect sensitive feelings on the subject.

The only games I see with this feature are the ones from Korea (Lineage II, Lost Chaos, etc). To be honest Chat Bubbles are annoying. The option to turn them off must be included if this nightmare feature is added. Chat bubbles would quickly become the in game pop-up add for CashFarmers.

Just Say NO to Chat Bubbles!

It's been said a hundred times, Chat Bubbles requires a checkbox in the Preferences for Enable/Disable. In fact the Chat Bubbles should be off by default, so that no one is suddenly hit by unwanted bubbles on launch day. To combat Credit-Farming Chat Bubbles, I think we should get in Preferences a modifiable hotkey that does a /ignore on the target (since we're talking about Chat Bubbles that will be in-view along with the offending party). That way we can just . ><BLAM>< . one-click the credit farmer out of sight and out of mind. And the moment we click our /ignore ability, all of that person's Chat Bubbles should vanish.

I have something to say, about Chat Bubbles. You may not agree with it, but if you give it some honest thought across a few days, and genuinely consider the game with and without Chat Bubbles, you'll find that I'm exactly correct.

. . . . . >> There's no in-game social environment without Chat Bubbles.

Edited by anonnn

Agreed.

Personally I think Chat Bubbles are annoying, but as long as the option to turn them off is included I have no problems.

NO to Chat Bubbles!

Well, the pro-chat bubbles people thank you for boosting this thread back to the top :)

I've been playing since the start of the game, hoping that some day we'll see some support for RP in terms of chat bubbles. I waited. We waited. We tried talking in crowded areas with a detached spam-cluttered chat window for two years. At least I can't wait no more. I know a lot of people don't do RP and thus see no point in chat bubbles, and that's fine. We all want different things in life. This is just how I feel.

Let's just face it, chat bubbles will never be implemented. It was just empty promises to string fans, like myself and so many others in this thread, along for as long as possible.

The same can be said for a lot of things, like PvP, but that's off topic.

Today I cancelled my subscription. I had a great time with you guys, I won't deny it. I'll miss SWTOR and dream of what could have been one of the best role playing games ever.

I go to join the ancient Sith Lords in the long forgotten tombs. May the force be with you.

- Grotts, the Lord of Caves and other dark places.