New Update

Trooperclay

Which is an already disastrous mistake imo. Nothing like splitting the remaining community up more and more and more...what a foolish choice.

It is not a mistake. It is a mechanic they are designing for more...roleplay elements actually. When you are in your house, you are going to get to talk to other's that are in their houses. It will bring the community together more than you think. It's going to be a great way to get together, plan things, invite people over and just talk. It will go better than you think, don't worry TUXs!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dry spell I'm speaking of is since last November - not inclusive of 2.7, which you appear to be quite giddy about. I'm not denying 2.7 had some content, but I also don't feel any of the content in 2.7 was anything that would make any player stay or return to the game.

The way you worded it, since GSF, when using the English I learned, means in the time between GSF and now, not in the time prior to GSF.

Whether I like or dislike the content is irrelevant. Content is there. Quite a few bullet points worth of content arrived 6 days ago.

Housing seems to be convincing players to return. I don't know about 2.7. It's more stuff to do though, which is never a bad thing.

Edited by DarthTHC

It is not a mistake. It is a mechanic they are designing for more...roleplay elements actually. When you are in your house, you are going to get to talk to other's that are in their houses. It will bring the community together more than you think. It's going to be a great way to get together, plan things, invite people over and just talk. It will go better than you think, don't worry TUXs!

That sounds... horrifying.

When I'm in my house, the very last thing I want to do is talk to everyone else who is also in their house which is not my house. I'm sure we'll be able to turn that channel off. But it's still an odd mechanic that seems like it would fracture the player-base's ability to communicate. Fleet vs. Planet is already sort of ugh. Then split them again into stronghold? Meh.

Edited by DarthTHC

When I'm in my house, the very last thing I want to do is talk to everyone else who is also in their house which is not my house.

I bet that's the equivalent of the fleet channel, but for players spending time in their strongholds. So while you're crafting/looking up GTN/mailing or whatever in your house you can still see LFG's etc.

I agree - they need a mechanism to filter channels by fleet/channel/housing. That would be pretty sweet.

Edited by tharbison

Should every patch/update contain something that 'would make any player return to the game'? I don't think that's a requirement. Besides, that's what the Galactic Strgonhold expansion is for! I've already seen many comments about people returning to the game for that.

No, but every patch/update should enhance the content people are currently playing for...especially when there are 9 weeks between updates for Gods sake.

No, but every patch/update should enhance the content people are currently playing for...especially when there are 9 weeks between updates for Gods sake.

I agree. But - I don't think we agree on 'the content people are currently playing for...' You said you like FP's, OP's, and WZ's. I don't, so those aren't important to me. So...whether or not the patch/update is enhancing YOUR gameplay experience is relative to what that experience is.

Edited by tharbison

We heard from the Boston player thing that they'll have their own chat channel (presumably shared amongst all who are in strongholds) and will have a way for you to display trophies from your adventures. They said they want them to be a way to socialize and show off what you've done.

Bits and pieces of information trickling in.

No mention of a fleet chat toggle? I think fleet chat should be off by default in your stronghold but people should have the option of turning it on so they don't miss out on pugs.

It's little functions like this that would make strongholds a more complete solution. Perhaps it's too hard to code, or perhaps they don't want to set the precedent of enabling fleet chat somewhere that isn't fleet. Whatever the reasons, it would be an inconvenience/sacrifice that segments the population.

Edited by Projawa

Should every patch/update contain something that 'would make any player return to the game'? I don't think that's a requirement. Besides, that's what the Galactic Strgonhold expansion is for! I've already seen many comments about people returning to the game for that.

Each patch may not need be a huge attention-grabbing feature that will make people come back, and it's patently unrealistic to expect each patch to have something for every player that will make them want to stay - but yes, it should absolutely be an expectation that each and every content patch includes something that will make a significant segment of the population chose to stay based on that patch.

But here's where I disagree with TUXs:

[...snip...]I also don't feel any of the content in 2.7 was anything that would make any player stay or return to the game.

I definitely think the Tython and Korriban FPs and the start of a new storyline (especially one that kicks off by attacking the other faction directly) is enough to keep a significant number of players sticking around who might otherwise have jumped ship.

I personally wasn't to the point where I was about to unsubscribe, but my single biggest concern coming out of 2.4 was "okay, are we getting another story arc, and is it going to be any good?", so 2.7 definitely scratched that itch for me the same way a new Operation might do so for a raider or a new Warzone might for a PVPer.

The way you worded it, since GSF, when using the English I learned, means in the time between GSF and now, not in the time prior to GSF.

Whether I like or dislike the content is irrelevant. Content is there. Quite a few bullet points worth of content arrived 6 days ago.

Housing seems to be convincing players to return. I don't know about 2.7. It's more stuff to do though, which is never a bad thing.

2.7 doesn't negate the other 6 months of nothing but GSF (and KDY to be fair).

More stuff to do is always good, I agree with you on that Darth...but they need to remember what kept players here the past 2 years as well...

Am I the only one excited for Galactic Strongholds?

I don't see too many people around here that seem that way, even though I see a lot of people asking for Player Housing and Guild Flagships...

Probably because they haven't told us very much about it yet. Hard to get too excited until I know more about the features.

When I'm in my house, the very last thing I want to do is talk to everyone else who is also in their house which is not my house. I'm sure we'll be able to turn that channel off. But it's still an odd mechanic that seems like it would fracture the player-base's ability to communicate. Fleet vs. Planet is already sort of ugh. Then split them again into stronghold? Meh.

Then make a new tab and just put "say" in it or turn off the chat.

I was excited for the housing when I 1st heard about it but, but now I am dubious. What they are releasing this year does not appear to be enough to remain competitive with other games. The game needs new levels, new planets, new missions. Not PvP maps, housing and/or a couple flashpoints. Certainly not more cartel packs.

SWTOR is still my favorite and I will play it until the end. But the message I'm getting is that BW/EA has decided not to fund future development sufficiently to remain competitive. They have jumped the shark, and are really in milk mode.

They have jumped the shark, and are really in milk mode.

I think they're building the game out. Trying to appeal to more people by introducing new elements like GSF & housing, rather than just creating another planet. While it may not appeal to you, personally I'm STOKED about strongholds! I took the week off of work in anticipation of it.

They can't make eveyone happy all of the time, but I doubt they're in 'milk mode'. They've released quite a bit of content & updates, each bit of which requires quite a bit of resources on their part. Not to mention SWTOR is one of the top 10 earning games. I can't believe they'd just set it on cruise control.

Edited by tharbison

Ive been on a kind of Hiatus from this game, and I so ive missed the recent events and patches and such. That's probably why im so enthusiastic...

No need to explain yourself :) I'm glad you're enthusiastic!!! It's still a damn fun game...frustrating at times and slow to deliver new content...but all MMOs are tbh. Wanting MORE of something should be taken as a compliment by the developers. :D

Hey, I'm not saying we got a whole game.

Just pointing out the inaccuracy in your post, which is becoming a habit of mine recently. I mean, I've consistently responded to inaccuracy but it's new, and disappointing, to see such blatant inaccuracy coming from you.

Well he did forget about Class stories.

@the OP: Personally, I could not care any less about the player housing. To me it was a complete waste of time and development resources. However, you are not alone - there are many people out there who love playing interior designer and can't understand why any game should be without this useless feature.

No mention of a fleet chat toggle? I think fleet chat should be off by default in your stronghold but people should have the option of turning it on so they don't miss out on pugs.

Then they either need to get their butts off the sofa and go to the fleet or set up an agreement with everyone who lives in Stronghold chat to PUG each other.

Edited by TravelersWay

Everyone of those things has been announced before the end of the year by the way...

And strategically placed at year's end, after new MMOs launch.

What about the players that like SWTOR and don't leave to go play other games? We kind of get shafted for our subscriptions and whatever else.

I guess subscriptions don't really matter much, so cartel coins. That's the frustrating part - there are plenty of people spending money on those, but there isn't much being updated for the actual game.

I'm glad they added a new WZ after almost a year and a half, and there's 2 new FPs to do (though the stories in them aren't so great).

GSF has been a disappointment to many, largely because of its implementation. Why did players have to wait this many months to get the third map they already had done? There were only 2 maps to play from December until last week. And that's not to mention BW couldn't be bothered with developing it for joysticks or gamepads, something they knew folks would want but EA just didn't get around to funding.

Unless EA is selling enough CCs within GSF to get back what they wanted from it. Which, if they are, is sad, because the queue times are growing longer and longer. And what it is, 12 vs. 12 dogfights in cool SW zones, is what many players wanted from the "SSSP".

EA/BW is just holding back the maps and preventing people from getting into it, alongside incorporating cartel coins too much into the design. It feels less like part of the basic SWTOR game and more like an add-on to sell things. As such, it actually hurts their game.

I'm pretty sure Strongholds will be similar. We'll see.

Edited by arunav

Personally I think this Player Stronghold housing thing is complete bull krap and a waste of development resources.

We've had player housing since launch (our personal ships) whether anyone else admits it or not, and so there was never a need for these to be added. Despite the many people that clamored about wanting it cause they don't realize they have it already. Instead they could have turned the resources they put on this to developing ways to incorporate the Stronghold features and customization into our personal ships then had the same effect only better cause our ships can travel!

The only good thing coming out of the update in my opinion are the guild flagships.

Personally I think this Player Stronghold housing thing is complete bull krap and a waste of development resources.

We've had player housing since launch (our personal ships) whether anyone else admits it or not, and so there was never a need for these to be added. Despite the many people that clamored about wanting it cause they don't realize they have it already. Instead they could have turned the resources they put on this to developing ways to incorporate the Stronghold features and customization into our personal ships then had the same effect only better cause our ships can travel!

The only good thing coming out of the update in my opinion are the guild flagships.

I like the customizable part of the new housing; If we'd had that for ships, i'd have been content.

Flagships, on the other hand, I've been looking forward to for a LOOONG time.

It was not inaccurate...whether I disappoint you or not is of no concern to me. I stated that it wasn't worth adding GSF or housing at the expense of the things players DID play for...like FPs, OPs and WZs...that's my opinion. You may have a differing opinion, but that doesn't make mine inaccurate.

It's my belief that both Housing and GSF should NOT have been included in the "normal" update schedule - a schedule that was doing exceptionally well at the end of 2013 with releasing Ops, FPs and daily areas...you know, the kinda content we were actually satisfied with and players were playing for...instead, they ignored what was keeping players here for things that weren't. I'm pleased they're expanding the game, but with a dwindling player base, how much thinner can they make the pool of players while still keeping players happy?

The way they've drew out GSF over 3 Updates was comical...they're going to do the same with housing and it'll have the same impact...a negative one I fear.

I agree, GSF and Housing should have waited until the next major expansion and came together. GSF never should have went to test without joystick compatibility. It's 2014 FFS - the technology has been in place for quite some time.

Housing to me is a gimmick at this point. Was it cool in SWG? Sure, but SWG was a different kind of game. Invariably, this is going to be an instance like our ships where everyone goes to the exact same access point to enter their "stronghold".

I don't see too many people around here that seem that way, even though I see a lot of people asking for Player Housing and Guild Flagships...

It's the only reason I've come back. If it fails, I'll be gone again.

Yes. You are the only person in the whole game excited for Galactic Strongholds.

/s

for those who love pve there is nothing more in the short run? I mean, atm we know it's planned a makeb-style expansion. And stop.

I guess that user who said devs are a bunch of clowns was right.

Uh...PvE has had the bulk of the updates the last 2 updates...KDY and the 2 new Tactical FPs.