Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I'm not sure if this had been answered yet. But yes Visas is most definitely a same-sex romance option, as much as anyone else is in KOTOR 2. I have romanced her as both male and female characters. There is an interaction that takes place which can only be triggered by a high affection and light side rating just before you head to Telos to face Nihlus.

Let me quote the interaction.

"I ask you... I beg you to stay here.. with me."

"I want to look upon you, where no one else can see, where it is just us. I want to see your face, the color of your skin. I wish to see what the Handmaiden sees when she looks at you that causes her heart to race, and her tone to change. What causes her to forsake her heritage, her oaths... as you made me forsake mine. I... need to know if perhaps I am wrong, if the universe is not as my Master once showed me."

"From the moment I heard your voice across the galaxy, I have longed for you. It is the echo, a wound that travels still, that when heard, made me understand that there was another wounded as I was, one who had felt the same sense of loss. When i heard it, I loved you more than my own life. And I wanted you to be here, with me, for as long as you will let me love you. Stay... And I want you to see what I see when I gaze upon you. I want you to know why I cannot look at you, and why I am drawn to you."

I'd say that interaction doesn't leave much to doubt.

That dialogue definitely can't happen with a female without a bug or a mod. The Handmaiden never joins the crew of a female Exile so why would she want to see what she sees that causes her heart to race and her tone to change?

Edited by OldVengeance

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very doubtful -if I understand correctly from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-lucasfilm-405-billion-384448, they only bought Lucasfilm. No mention of Lucasarts, and I imagine they'd have to go back and re-negotiate with EA/BW to yank content they already agreed upon.

I'd be more worried about where "Clone Wars" stands after this, since the deal sounds like it only effects the film series and not prequel games in the EU.

Taken from Lucasarts main page: QUOTE: LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are registered trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2012 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved.

Lucasarts is now owned by Disney, explains why nothing has been said to any of you folks...

Very doubtful -if I understand correctly from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-buy-lucasfilm-405-billion-384448, they only bought Lucasfilm. No mention of Lucasarts, and I imagine they'd have to go back and re-negotiate with EA/BW to yank content they already agreed upon.

Actually, they did get Lucas Arts among other things according to the Disney press release:

Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Disney... /sigh

I honestly feel the SW IP is in good hands. Now, if it had been the Michael Eisner era, then I'd be worried. Thankfully, we're past that. Stupid jerk almost ran Disney into the ground imho.

I'm going to start googling tonight for references to Disney's LGBT stance. Even when people don't want to listen (and some will refuse to) I still want the links on hand.

One of the cruxes of my stance kinda depended upon "Gay Day" being officially. Sadly, it isn't. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a couple of links about thoughts about the LGBT community.

I'll look tonight, and I'll probably get back to you guys within the next day or so.

Oh and Happy Halloween/Merry Samhain to everyone! Be safe, have fun. I'm going to put the jack o' lanterns out with da Doup. He did a Stay Puft pumpkin, and a couple more generic ones. I'm dressing all witchy and giving out candy to the munchkins.

PS: I fell for Vector hard. As another poster said, he's just in such harmony with the Song of the Universe. I didn't find him boring at all. I had romanced Kira on my male JK, but this story was even more sweet. Anytime he uses the pronoun "I" instead of "We," I do a happy sigh.

Major spoilers incoming...read at your own risk!

Helping him get back in touch with his old life as a diplomat was really cool. Watching him and Loken work together was even cooler. However, the part that melted me the most was when my IA and Vector had their first FTB. He had suppressed the pheromones of the Nest for a brief period of time so he could be with her. He didn't want to share her for their first time together. When I saw his rather unique human eyes (this really pretty pale goldish green that isn't available for PCs,) I loved it. I was a little sad when his eyes and mannerisms returned to his status quo. I try not to use the term normal, since it's so subjective.

As you can probably tell, I finished the romance and happily had my toon marry him.

Anyhow, I'll see you guys soon. I'll post any updated info onto the site. :D

Edited by natashina

Sorry for two posts back to back, but I was wondering if this would work for the FAQ:

Gay Days Disney began in 1998 with about 2,500 guests, and large-scale organized protests that have been absent for the past several years. Although the event isn’t officially sanctioned by Disney, said Gay Days Anaheim Producer Eddie Shapiro, the park cooperates with organizers with events like a morning "gay cruise" on the Mark Twain Riverboat, a photo op in front of the Sleeping Beauty Castle and special lunch events for gay families, lesbians and bears.

"Although it has evolved beyond just the red shirts, we have to wear them to show that we are the majority this weekend," said Shapiro. "It’s also a place for gays to reclaim that childhood comfort and safety. In Disney films, the underdog always triumphs, and that appeals to gays."

Source: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/travel///138083/gay_days_disney_shows_the_best_of_anaheim

Here's another. It talks about Disneyworld in Japan allowing same sex marriages to be preformed. They did have this part:

In the U.S., same-sex couples have been allowed to hold commitment ceremonies at Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in Southern California for years.

And although Disney had previously limited its pricey "Fairy Tale Wedding" package -- which includes a ceremony at one of the parks' marriage pavilions, costumed characters at the reception, and a ride in a horse-drawn, glass-enclosed carriage through the Disney property -- to couples with valid marriage licenses, the company changed its policy in April 2007 to include couples entering civil partnerships after an inquiry from a gay guest.

According to The Washington Post, gay couples can take advantage of the "Fairy Tale Wedding" package at Disney's U.S. theme parks and aboard its cruise ships, even if the ceremony is not technically legal.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/disney-gay-weddings_n_1519542.html

Edited by natashina

I'm going to start googling tonight for references to Disney's LGBT stance. Even when people don't want to listen (and some will refuse to) I still want the links on hand.

Good plan.

What I do know is that Disney extends full spousal benefits to same-sex domestic partners.

Disney also permits same-sex couples to hold weddings in the fairy-tale wedding pavilions and even at Cinderella's Castle at their theme parks, after addressing a misunderstanding in this regard at Tokyo Disneyland (parks in Orlando and Anaheim have accomodated same-sex weddings for years).

This is interesting as Disney does not own Tokyo Disneyland but only licenses the use of Disney trademarks, yet had sufficient clout and interest to assert their inclusive position was intrinsic to the image and values of the company.

Most significantly, it was after Disney acquired Marvel Comics that Marvel introduced the fact that one of its superheroes is gay, introduced his male love interest and told the story of their wedding.

That last point is the most direct parallel to the current situation, of Disney acquiring a franchise and not exerting influence to suppress same-gender romantic content. I see no reason why they would now.

Edited by Uluain

You mean like this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/marvel-comics-hosts-first-gay-wedding-in-astonishing-x-men-20120522

It took me a few to find a non obscure website on the subject. I think that works

Busy night for me, but I can't argue. I actually love gathering new information. :D

If anyone can find anything else, throw it on here. I'll be adding an intro to the question I'm putting in there and getting links embedding tonight.

"Isn't Disney opposed to same sex marriage?"

Gonna be a loooooong four to six weeks until we hopefully we get some information. I trust Disney, but people can be stupid. :rolleyes:

Edit: I love this. It's true they offer benefits to same sex couples. It's right there on their official website! :D

http://corporate.disney.go.com/citizenship2010/disneyworkplaces/overview/workingatdisney/

Edited by natashina

Wow, didn't take as much time as I thought it would. :D This is probably the second longest question on the FAQ now. I wanted to armor plate our butts as much as we can with facts, especially since it's Disney and it's going to be a whole new set of redundant and silly questions.

And away we go!

10) Isn't Disney opposed to same sex marriage?

To begin with, Disney currently offers benefits for same sex couples and has for years.

This is from the official website.

Disney is committed to the total well-being — physical, emotional and financial — of our employees and cast members. Disney Healthy Pursuits is the collection of benefits and wellness programs we offer our employees to support them in their pursuits of a healthier life. In 2009, as part of Disney Healthy Pursuits, we launched a new Wellness Rewards Program. Employees who participate are eligible for financial incentives in return for making healthy choices. Currently, the Wellness Rewards Program is part of a multi-year approach to recognize employees who are taking healthy steps and getting results. Employees can earn up to $300 (or double if their spouse or same-sex domestic partner also participates) to help offset their healthcare costs. As of November 30, 2010, 54% of eligible employees had completed the Personal Health Assessment required to qualify for the program.

One of Disney’s foundational values is to respect, appreciate and value everyone. In keeping with this philosophy, same-sex domestic partners are considered dependents and are eligible for benefits.

Recently, same sex marriages started to be performed at Tokyo Disney, with a relevant part to the US.

In the U.S., same-sex couples have been allowed to hold commitment ceremonies at Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in Southern California for years.

And although Disney had previously limited its pricey "Fairy Tale Wedding" package -- which includes a ceremony at one of the parks' marriage pavilions, costumed characters at the reception, and a ride in a horse-drawn, glass-enclosed carriage through the Disney property -- to couples with valid marriage licenses, the company changed its policy in April 2007 to include couples entering civil partnerships after an inquiry from a gay guest.

According to The Washington Post, gay couples can take advantage of the "Fairy Tale Wedding" package at Disney's U.S. theme parks and aboard its cruise ships, even if the ceremony is not technically legal.

Finally, Marvel Comics, owned by Disney, has an interracial gay couple from the X-Men series married as of June of this year.

There is no reason to believe that SGRs in The Old Republic will be cut because of Disney's viewpoint.

Edited by natashina

I was hoping we would get both. Probably not going to happen, I know. I just think that if we can have multiple options for OGRs they should consider including more than a "token" SGR character of each sex for every class. I said before I liked Temple but not Kaliyo. Well, it was nice that I could choose which to romance. I hope we have some choice with SGRs too.

Just my opinion and I've stated it elsewhere I believe, though I'm unsure if it was this thread or another, but I do not believe Kaliyo to actually be bisexual. I rather think she's the one who will do what she needs to in order to get what she wants, even if it results in a sexual nature with a woman... I do not however believe she actually enjoys it. She seems more... straight to me than Ensign Temple. :) I do hpe Vector is the SGRA for Male Agents, but I'll probably have to reroll to do that, considering I'm probably way too far in conversations to actually have him as a romance. :(

Vector is worth reroll imho, as is the IA story. It's sad you might have to do that, but I felt he was a lot of fun. Also, he was quite swoon worthy and I loved every second of it. I really really hope he's available for SGRs for those that want it. This is why I keep helping push for info. Romances like that are more than worth it and everyone should have at least the chance to experience that. They need to tell us if leveling makes a difference. To be honest, that's my biggest concern and I know it's a concern of other posters here.

Btw, I still think Kailyo will be available for SGRs, but I'm starting to agree that she isn't bisexual per say. She seems like a "Try-sexual" kind of gal. If she tries it and likes it, she'll do it again. I think she does like batting for both teams, but is probably super picky about it. I personally really like the character, but she seems suited as a kind of big sister and a "bro" as it were. I've known some people like her IRL, both men and women. They were very cool to hang out with, but you wouldn't want to get physically and/or emotionally involved with people like that. They tended to have too much of a partying "love em and leave 'em" mindset. I usually didn't. :p So I couldn't see her for me personally with SGRs, but I could still see her becoming accessible to all.

I just met Temple, so I really couldn't say if I'd romance her one way or the other. Even though I decided to do the Kira romance on my JK, Temple strikes me as just a little too much of a student. She's really nice to watch progress. Shame I won't be using her much though. As a Sniper, it's been me and Loken for quite awhile. :(

Too bad you aren't on Shadowlands. I'd save a name for ya for when SGRs come out. ;)

Shoot, I wish there was more OGR options for the ladies. Nothing too much against the characters, but I'm not thrilled with Quinn and Doc being the only options. Yes, you get a FTB with Pierce and I believe one with Therax, but that's it. It figures that Pierce was the one guy on the ship I could have seen my Jugg with. I'm not sure if there is a class where the ladies get more than one option. Anyone know?

I also popped in because I had to show you guys this.

Behold, Darth Maul Donald Duck!

Just awesome! Too bad it's not $200 worth of awesome to me lol.

Now I want a SW that'll become Darth Duck. :D

Edited by natashina

Vector is worth reroll imho, as is the IA story. It's sad you might have to do that, but I felt he was a lot of fun. Also, he was quite swoon worthy and I loved every second of it. I really really hope he's available for SGRs for those that want it. This is why I keep helping push for info. Romances like that are more than worth it and everyone should have at least the chance to experience that. They need to tell us if leveling makes a difference. To be honest, that's my biggest concern and I know it's a concern of other posters here.

Oh don't get me wrong. I will reroll for Vector, eagerly. I just wish I could have my current Agent romance him, since he's the one I use 99% of the time, save for boss fights when I use Scorpio... or course, Vector and I are of the same alignment, so I have massive Affection with him. When I heard about Vector I was like... "eh. A bug man? What a waste..." Then I actually saw him in game and got to know him in game and I'm just like... -totally in love- haha.

I just met Temple, so I really couldn't say if I'd romance her one way or the other. Even though I decided to do the Kira romance on my JK, Temple strikes me as just a little too much of a student. She's really nice to watch progress. Shame I won't be using her much though. As a Sniper, it's been me and Loken for quite awhile. :(

Too bad you aren't on Shadowlands. I'd save a name for ya for when SGRs come out. ;)

I don't really know much about Ensign Temple, to be honest, but from what I know about her, she seems more lesbianic than straight imo. I thought about going for a romance with her on my Agent, but then I was like... "ehhhh.." so I decided not to. .-. It's bad enough my Agent had to marry a Voss woman so he could progress... I decided not to traumatize him with a second female........ "companion".

Heh. Thanks. :p I'm on The Harbinger however. xD

You don't suppose what with Disney now acquiring Lucasarts, maybe we could ask them to put a bit of pressure?

You know, just to get some information? Considering how inclusive they seem?

*sigh* Its a sorry state when we have to hope for outside influences to gain a small amount of information about an upcoming game feature. And its completely unnecessary.

If.

They.

Would.

Just.

Answer.

The.

Damn.

Questions!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You don't suppose what with Disney now acquiring Lucasarts, maybe we could ask them to put a bit of pressure?

I was under the impression that Disney only bought LucasFilms and not LucasArts. I may be wrong, but if they only purchased LucasFilms, then you're not gonna really get much help. They'll just blow Disney off, much the same way we have been. However. I'm taking the optimitic road and assuming SGRAs are coming out with Makeb. :)

I was under the impression that Disney only bought LucasFilms and not LucasArts. I may be wrong, but if they only purchased LucasFilms, then you're not gonna really get much help. They'll just blow Disney off, much the same way we have been. However. I'm taking the optimitic road and assuming SGRAs are coming out with Makeb. :)

They acquired the whole shebang (Lucasarts, LucasFilm, Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound, ect), so it would be in their own interests to alleviate customer concerns regarding a product they have recently obtained.

And if any company can put on pressure, its Disney.

*sigh* Its a sorry state when we have to hope for outside influences to gain a small amount of information about an upcoming game feature. And its completely unnecessary.

If.

They.

Would.

Just.

Answer.

The.

Damn.

Questions!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

LOL. I wouldn't want to see you RP-PvP a Sith. Seriously, you'd be kinda good at it...almost too scary good. :eek:

Yessss...give into your hate my child. Soon, you will see the powah of the Darkside!

Wait, wrong character. :p Seriously, I can understand completely how you feel. It'll be the winter solstice by the time this comes out, at least as far as I can tell. I'm personally kinda aggravated, but I'm trying to keep my cool. However, you really spoke for me on that one hun.

For the record, I'm much more positive about SGRs making in the game with the sited deadline of this year. With someone as big as Disney backing this, there'll be a stunned silence before the roar of cheers and screams. I don't think a lot of people know how pro LGBT equal rights Disney truly is.

Hey, should I throw in a link citing that Disney bought all of the Lucas' property? I can see that question coming up again and if BW won't give us clarity, I can at least do a small part and bring full clarity to the FAQ.

Edit: My reaction to this info was to put on Feel Good Inc by the Gorillaz and Harder Better Faster Stronger by Daft Punk. I preceded to dance around my computer room. Yes, I am an uber nerd.

Edited by natashina

LOL. I wouldn't want to see you RP-PvP a Sith. Seriously, you'd be kinda good at it...almost too scary good. :eek:

Yessss...give into your hate my child. Soon, you will see the powah of the Darkside!

Wait, wrong character. :p Seriously, I can understand completely how you feel. It'll be the winter solstice by the time this comes out, at least as far as I can tell. I'm personally kinda aggravated, but I'm trying to keep my cool. However, you really spoke for me on that one hun.

For the record, I'm much more positive about SGRs making in the game with the sited deadline of this year. With someone as big as Disney backing this, there'll be a stunned silence before the roar of cheers and screams. I don't think a lot of people know how pro LGBT equal rights Disney truly is.

Hey, should I throw in a link citing that Disney bought all of the Lucas' property? I can see that question coming up again and if BW won't give us clarity, I can at least do a small part and bring full clarity to the FAQ.

A link couldn't hurt, since questions as to how much they acquired have already arisen in this thread. And I too am even more hopeful with the Disney acquisition.

As for the rage...its early, the weather is making my joints hurt, and I haven't had any coffee yet.

Sith should fear me. :eek:

<grumbles at whomever at Akamai screwed up the swtor DNS. Akamai servers run swtor.com, blip.tv and other sites>

Anyhow, here's the link. I'll get it into the updated FAQ in a bit and repost that section later today. Let me know if there is anything else I should mention about Disney.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/10/30/mickey-meet-yoda-disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion/

Edited by natashina

<grumbles at whomever at Akamai screwed up the swtor DNS. Akamai servers run swtor.com, blip.tv and other sites>

Anyhow, here's the link. I'll get it into the updated FAQ in a bit and repost that section later today. Let me know if there is anything else I should mention about Disney.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/10/30/mickey-meet-yoda-disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion/

Disney's very much into single parent families? Mulan's awesome and challenges traditional gender stereotypes?

I'm trying to think with the films now, though their recent Latina Princess has caused a lot of debate.

I don't really know much about Ensign Temple, to be honest, but from what I know about her, she seems more lesbianic than straight imo. I thought about going for a romance with her on my Agent, but then I was like... "ehhhh.." so I decided not to. .-. It's bad enough my Agent had to marry a Voss woman so he could progress... I decided not to traumatize him with a second female........ "companion".

I don't think it would destroy the game to have Ensign Temple available. I reckon it could work with a female character. When I went through the romance with her, she was pretty easily talked into sleeping with her alien superior.

I'm not personally fussed about the female SGR companions, being as I am a man who doesn't play female characters, but they do need to get it right for the people who are interested. I mean, Kaliyo is a bit of a divisive character. Some people will be annoyed if she is the only option and others will be overjoyed. Adding Temple as well might be a good idea.

Shoot, I wish there was more OGR options for the ladies. Nothing too much against the characters, but I'm not thrilled with Quinn and Doc being the only options. Yes, you get a FTB with Pierce and I believe one with Therax, but that's it. It figures that Pierce was the one guy on the ship I could have seen my Jugg with. I'm not sure if there is a class where the ladies get more than one option. Anyone know?

This was what I was thinking. It will be unfortunate if they pull the same trick with SGRs for females.

If you're straight and male, you're golden.

Straight women get a choice between Jedi Consular and Sith Warrior for two "romance" options. Although most classes do only get a choice of one or nothing.

Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes. Smuggler and Agent are two female LI's, one male. Sith Warrior has ALL the love. Consular is two male LI's, one female.

Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.

Very unsubtle HINT there.

Edited by Tatile

If you're straight and male, you're golden.

Straight women get a choice between Jedi Consular and Sith Warrior for two "romance" options. Although most classes do only get a choice of one or nothing.

Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, Knight and Trooper are all "one or nothing" classes. Smuggler and Agent are two female LI's, one male. Sith Warrior has ALL the love. Consular is two male LI's, one female.

Edit: Looking through that list, it would be really very interesting to know how the writers have addressed the "we have SGR's for existing companions, but we don't want to make everyone bisexual/player-sexual" issue. Very interesting indeed.

Very unsubtle HINT there.

Mm, I'll also be very interested to see how they do that.

Mm, I'll also be very interested to see how they do that.

That statement of making everyone player-sexual being bad writing has raised many, many questions of what equals good writing, whether they're going to use stereotypes for their companions (which we thrashed out a score or more pages back) and who they're going to use.

It's wonderful that not even the writing team is allowed to come in here and have a chat. It's not like they're tied up in dropped semi-colons and lost objects.