Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Well, Mr. Freed left in summer last year, didn't he? and Lord Cytharat was written by him, so presumably he had been planned as gay since last year.

He left in October. They started writing for Makeb shortly after launch, so who knows, really. They may have had to wait for an "ok" based on time/budget.

However, Lord Cytharat (and whats-her-face) are our first SGR content NPCs and, I assume, were written after launch. That implies to me that we still have a long time to wait until we see anymore SGR content, because nothing yet has been written or designed.

Different writers have indicated in interviews and various statements that they have in fact written more beyond Makeb already, at least mapped out.

How likely is it that the entire idea of having SGR content (as an actuality, rather than an "Ah yes, we're Bioware, aren't we? *confused face*") is post-launch?

We know the *idea* was pre-launch, since they talked about it pre-launch, and I seem to recall comments from the devs early on about how some of the current companions were originally planned on being SGR. But whether anything was actually taken beyond some rough ideas, we don't know.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He left in October. They started writing for Makeb shortly after launch, so who knows, really. They may have had to wait for an "ok" based on time/budget.

Different writers have indicated in interviews and various statements that they have in fact written more beyond Makeb already, at least mapped out.

We know the *idea* was pre-launch, since they talked about it pre-launch, and I seem to recall comments from the devs early on about how some of the current companions were originally planned on being SGR. But whether anything was actually taken beyond some rough ideas, we don't know.

The Guild Summit mentioned something to that effect, yes, but as far as I'm aware that was also under duress.

I should imagine that whatever they have written and planned would still be subject to change right up until recording for whatever magical reasons are relevant at the time and whether it applies to romances and key stories points or not isn't something we'll ever know. The application of Makeb's romances in the Makeb might have been designed in a scenario where we already had SGRA's and world-NPC [Flirt]s, but the actuality of them is that they are our first SGR content and the limitations (sexuality by faction) and length (not very), makes them feel like an afterthought, even if the characters themselves are compelling, and this then makes me question what future SGR/A's will be like (Will the characters be equally compelling but the story itself by ultimately unfulfilling and feel unfinished?) and subsequently also the continuation of the current romances.

Makeb was apparently un-touched by the F2P change over, but its launch was definitely pushed back by SWTOR going F2P. You're right, though, writing does have a long lead-time, especially so when they then need to do the animation and recording.

I guess I'm being unduly pessimistic again.

...so female smuggler does get more flirt options than my BH, SI, or SW. I'm not saying don't add more flirts for SGR (or OGR for that matter), but so far outside of my smuggler, it's felt like 1 flirt and then companion flirts. Planetary flirts haven't felt that common, but I also don't know if certain classes can flirt with random NPC or if it's a "everyone can do this flirt" (ogr of course).

Yeah, I guess they're not as common as all that (except for Smugglers, male in particular). I'd actually like to see a bunch more, both OGR and SGR. And like I said I'm sure I recall a couple that didn't get past Beta stage, so maybe they consciously toned back the number of flirts available.

Guys, Last night, I finished the Makeb questline.

I'm a female inquisitor, empire.

I didn't have the chance to flirt with any character, what am I missing?

Thanks.

Seeker and macrobinocular -missions at Dromund Kaas and an one male resistance leader, probably. Or at least my sniper flirted with the resistance leader.

Guys, Last night, I finished the Makeb questline.

I'm a female inquisitor, empire.

I didn't have the chance to flirt with any character, what am I missing?

Thanks.

The female-female [Flirt] that I know of isn't on Makeb, but rather part of the Seeker Droid quest line with Darth Acina. this is the only female-female [Flirt] (I think) that's on the Imperial side.

Lord Cytharat is gay, you can't flirt with him and Niar...bollocks... is straight, you can't flirt with her either.

Edit: Resistance leader?

Edited by Tatile

Edit: Resistance leader?

The part of the story where you kill the hovertanks (that look like Firebrand and stormcaller). After that, you're going to go to speak to some male guy who's some kind of leader of the civilians that are rebelling agaist those mercenaries (and hutts I guess). My female agent at least could flirt when the guy asks what he would get from an alliance with the Empire.

Oh right - I don't think that was available on my Agent, but he's the only character I've leveled through Makeb so far.

I think that one is OGRA only (my friend didn't get the option on his male SW).

There's a female/female with the microbinocular quest giver too (don't remember her name)...I think this one is available for both genders. I think Lord Cytherat is the only SGRA exclusive option for some reason.

I think that one is OGRA only (my friend didn't get the option on his male SW).

There's a female/female with the microbinocular quest giver too (don't remember her name)...I think this one is available for both genders. I think Lord Cytherat is the only SGRA exclusive option for some reason.

So ti's confirmed that the Lady in the Rpublic line is bi? Somehow that does not surprise me.

So ti's confirmed that the Lady in the Rpublic line is bi? Somehow that does not surprise me.

Yep.

Why Cytherat isn't available to women? IDK...

So yes the SGRA stuff is definitely starting with this expansion and the rest may be part of a Patch later this year. Hopefully.

I'm curious what they will add (or if they will continue the Makeb ones...I kind of doubt it).

Edited by stuffystuffs

Why Cytherat isn't available to women? IDK...

Quote from the writer on Twitter: I'm still proud that he's gay instead of bi. We need more characters from the full LGBT spectrum!

So the answer is, because he just wanted it that way.

Edited by chuixupu

Quote from the writer on Twitter: I'm still proud that he's gay instead of bi. We need more characters from the full LGBT spectrum!

So the answer is, because he just wanted it that way.

Because bi people, of course, aren't on the LGBT spectrum... >.>

Because bi people, of course, aren't on the LGBT spectrum... >.>

Nope. And this means that female SI types once again get...nada. Makeb at least caan be said to be continuing the tradition, I suppose. :p

I know my negative opinion of Ashara and Andronikos is exactly that - my opinion. But I doubt I am the only one across all servers who feels that way. And Makeb offers me nothing for either gender choice.

I don't think he was implying bi people aren't LGBT, he just said he was proud to be getting more representation of the full spectrum. Almost all the characters available for SGR in other games were bi, there were hardly any who were strictly gay or lesbian.

I don't think he was implying bi people aren't LGBT, he just said he was proud to be getting more representation of the full spectrum. Almost all the characters available for SGR in other games were bi, there were hardly any who were strictly gay or lesbian.

If by 'in other games' you mean 'in Dragon Age 2', and if by 'bisexual' you mean 'arguably herosexual', sure.

I know what he was saying but he could have chosen a more elegant way of saying it. Hell, he could have left off the 'instead of bi' altogether. It IS good that we're seeing more gay and lesbian characters; I just don't think there's any need to insert comments like 'instead of bi'. I think it'd be great to see all different kinds of (consensual, legal) sexuality.

Yes, I fully accept I might be a little over-sensitive on this matter but I'm very wary (and weary, actually) of bisexual erasure. Even unintentional cases of it.