Third Advanced Class Ideas

Tenniswood

As it stands right now I do not think it possible/ feasible to add additional fully voiced class in to the game. Instead I think it is probably best to include a third advanced class to each class in the game right now. I know there are threads like this now but here are just my ideas:

Sith warrior/Jedi knight-sith ravager/jedi duelist. Use a single bladed lightsaber and a focus. Wear medium armor. 3 dps trees. This class is a duelist and agile style class. Their trees revolve around fast pass, agile combat and use moves like ravage and master strike. One tree is heavy single target with stuns and burst, one is AoE DOTS and the third is the shared tree. Certain attacks give them a "combo buff" that stacks to three and certain attacks consume a number of the "combo buff" similar to tactical advantage.

Sith inquisitor/Jedi Consular -imperial guard/Republic Legionare. Wear heavy armor along with vibrostaffs, vibro poleaxes (new weapon) and double bladed light sabers. Have a tank tree and 2 dps trees. Rely more on armor rating than assassins and use a large amount of DoTs. Large number of carges with a "decapitation" type execute move. The tank tree would be similar to the jug. Near invincible but AoE oriented with little single target.

Bounty Hunter/ Trooper - Rocketeer/Demolitions Expert-BH wield pistol or rifle. Rely on delayed explosions similar to Explosive Dart, Thermal Detonator and the agent's explosive probe. Ability to stack explosives on the target and detonate them all at once. All three trees are damage. One single target, one Aoe and the shared tree. Gain a Missile Laucher type of attack that is key to the rotation.

Imperial Agent/Smuggler - Imperial Engineer/ Pirate or Beast master. Both use rifle or pistol. Pet type class. Engineer summons bots and turrets while The Smuggler summons beasts. Have a heal tree, a dps tree and the shared tree. Heal tree relies on summoning the machines/beasts to keep target alive. Dps tree relies on buffing the summoned pets. Key to the rotation is summoning a turret and turret like beast that can beup almost all the time (100% of the time with unique dps tree)

These are just my ideas. Curious about the communities opinion and would love to see some ideas from the community as well. Maybe help Bioware out if they need some inspiration.

Being a die-hard Beastmaster from SWG, I support the beast ideas - providing you can "buy" into 2 or 3 types of beast/droid or whatever. Beastmasters win by having a selection of friends for different encounters.

As to the Consular/Inquisitor using heavy armour, no. I don't disagree with the high resist factors, but the point of that class as a whole (base class) is that they use the force in all things.

The solution would be simple, less moving around, less reactive abilities and more focus on "innate" force defences and buffs that boost the armour to heavy levels. Sacrifice the "pull" for a jump and job done.

I am concerned it will play too much like an assassin though.

I think you'd have problems coming up with a unique playstyle for a third AC for the Consular/Inquisitor given that those classes have ACs that are so different, one is melee DPS/tank (Shadow/Assasin) & the other's ranged/healer (Sage/Sorc).

They're generally nice ideas, though the Consular/Inq one sounded quite similar to the Trooper (thematically if nothing else).

IMO the greatest virtue of a third AC would be to allow any class story to fill any role, so I'm definitely going to say that Knights/Warriors should get a healer/buffer AC and Agents/Smugs should get a tank AC. (Also I hate getting medium +def gear, it's green vendor trash and a waste of a loot table roll, and this would fix that, and also justify the existence of Patron mods.)

I've actually thought about the Knight one a lot, since I've been a devoted bard and paladin player since the day I first picked up a polyhedral die, and there's nothing that really fills that mixed melee/support role in this game. I'm seeing two DPS trees and a healing tree, all of them built around buffing teammates instead of self. The DPS trees would let you do, say, 75% of the DPS of a Sentinel, yourself, but with properly rotated buffs it would improve your teammates' DPS by 20% each so you're still contributing equally to any other class in that DPS slot. (I did that math wrong but you know what I mean.) Likewise, the heal tree would let you do 75% of the HPS of a Sage, but with properly rotated buffs, debuffs and interrupts it would reduce the incoming damage to your party by enough to make up the 25% difference. Both playstyles would rely on you being in close and stabbing the enemy for Rage/Focus, so all the heals and buffs would be targetless; centered-on-self AoEs or partywide stuff like the class buffs or even something like a Guard ability that links you to another party member and makes them the automatic target of any of your friendly casts. It'd be a very different playstyle, and a fun challenge as a healer to be that close into the fight and keeping an eye on the target mob every bit as much as on allied health bars.

I also like the idea of a pet class; I could see that as either the way the Cunning guys accomplish their tanking or as a new dynamic for Aim DPS. I admit I haven't put a lot of thought into any class but the Strength users.

Edited by Quething

IMO the greatest virtue of a third AC would be to allow any class story to fill any role

I agree so much. Maybe the pet based smuggler/IA class could tank and the warrior/knight could heal. I like your ideas for the warrior healer but I think it would feel odd. Like you said it would be a heavy buffer class. I am trying to think of heals but I can't think of any :( Maybe a righteous sacrifice/blood letting. You lose some health but heal a team mate.

My suggestions would be:

SW/JK - healing/dps (they already have pure dps and tank/dps) - i wish for a non lightsaber jedi... but maybe lightsaber AND pistol one focused on the pistol and the other on both (maybe each tree would need one weapon in the main hand) - for healing: it could be based on damage you do: more damage you do, more heals for others, as long as you are atacking, you are healing. the dps tree could have a lot of AOE dps

SI/JC - pure dps - maybe like in the first cg using double blade with a single... maybe just stick with the double blade and close range force powers used with the saber...

IA/SM - tank/dps - vibroblades or such melee weapons maybe? (or the melee/pistol combo) - he tank would be... a normal tank... maybe add some CC in it... the dps would be based on melee and the pistol...

BH/TP - pure dps - grenade launcher or a sniper - maybe a super range focuses dps or a aoe master full of nades and CCs...

JK/SW: I like the above idea of adding a sabre/pistol combo. Luke was always packing a sabre and a blaster.

SI/JC: So here's my problem with the Inquisitor and Consular in general. Aren't these guys supposed to be the leaders of their order? Consulars are know for their diplomatic skills and the climax of the Inquisitor storyline is a seat on the Dark Council. So why am I doing all the dirty work? The SI/JC should be able to call upon a group of Acoyltes/Padawans ready for their trials (weak), or a pair of their Apprentices (Normal), and occasionally their most promising student Lord/Jedi (Strong).

BH/Trooper: Melee tank or DPS class using Vibroswords (still sounds kinky) or Electrostaffs

IA/Smuggler: Melee tank using a one handed vibro/electro weapons in the primary hand, and secondary holding a visible shield like the Sniper/Gunslinger cover shield

I also like the pistol/lightsaber idea, but it would really screw up itemization. You'd have to either add new schems and drops for Str barrels throughout the entire game and add Str to the random gun stat list (which would result in a crapton of useless Str shotguns, rifles, snipers and autocannons dropping), or you'd have to set the AC up so that it works like HK, using Cunning as a second primary stat (which would provide a slight mechanical advantage over other classes between diminishing returns and datacrons, and leave them able to legitimately Need on smug/IA gear, which would be a minor increase in loot drama).

Also, a pistol (and especially a healer with a pistol) implies you'll be staying out of melee. But since you'd still be getting all of the Knight/Jugg skills as you leveled up (Cyclone Slash, Opportune Strike, Master Strike improvements, Pommel Strike, Force Kick, and of course iterations of Leap), you'd still either a) be constantly in melee range or b) end up wasting 50% of your spell budget by staying at range. The other three base classes also have a melee/ranged split in their ACs, but their base abilities already reflect that and come as a mix of close and distant so there's much less waste. You could use a pistol at point blank of course, all PT style, or have it be basically a stat stick like a consular's saber, but that seems to defeat the whole point of a jedi sharpshooter.

Could give it as an offhand to the third Willpower AC, though, since as mentioned, their base abilities are already designed to synergize with ranged DPS/heals as much as with melee DPS/tanks.

Edited by Quething

I also like the pistol/lightsaber idea, but it would really screw up itemization. You'd have to either add new schems and drops for Str barrels throughout the entire game and add Str to the random gun stat list (which would result in a crapton of useless Str shotguns, rifles, snipers and autocannons dropping), or you'd have to set the AC up so that it works like HK, using Cunning as a second primary stat (which would provide a slight mechanical advantage over other classes between diminishing returns and datacrons, and leave them able to legitimately Need on smug/IA gear, which would be a minor increase in loot drama).

Also, a pistol (and especially a healer with a pistol) implies you'll be staying out of melee. But since you'd still be getting all of the Knight/Jugg skills as you leveled up (Cyclone Slash, Opportune Strike, Master Strike improvements, Pommel Strike, Force Kick, and of course iterations of Leap), you'd still either a) be constantly in melee range or b) end up wasting 50% of your spell budget by staying at range. The other three base classes also have a melee/ranged split in their ACs, but their base abilities already reflect that and come as a mix of close and distant so there's much less waste. You could use a pistol at point blank of course, all PT style, or have it be basically a stat stick like a consular's saber, but that seems to defeat the whole point of a jedi sharpshooter.

Could give it as an offhand to the third Willpower AC, though, since as mentioned, their base abilities are already designed to synergize with ranged DPS/heals as much as with melee DPS/tanks.

have to agree there... pistol/saber combo would be better in the consular...

there is two games i played that one uses both melee and ranged weapons in one pack: the first is sengoku musou 3 with date masamune and the other DMC :eek: devil may cry is one magnificent example os piltol/sword *** beating at both melee and ranged distance... maybe that combo is not that far from a jk, but sure would be more a dps only, fitting the consular...

for the knight maybe the double blade as I saw many complaining they would like it... or maybe unarmed combat :eek: something different for a change (depending on how it would turn out maybe people would complain about the legacy valor skills :D)

JK/SW: I like the above idea of adding a sabre/pistol combo. Luke was always packing a sabre and a blaster.

SI/JC: So here's my problem with the Inquisitor and Consular in general. Aren't these guys supposed to be the leaders of their order? Consulars are know for their diplomatic skills and the climax of the Inquisitor storyline is a seat on the Dark Council. So why am I doing all the dirty work? The SI/JC should be able to call upon a group of Acoyltes/Padawans ready for their trials (weak), or a pair of their Apprentices (Normal), and occasionally their most promising student Lord/Jedi (Strong).

BH/Trooper: Melee tank or DPS class using Vibroswords (still sounds kinky) or Electrostaffs

IA/Smuggler: Melee tank using a one handed vibro/electro weapons in the primary hand, and secondary holding a visible shield like the Sniper/Gunslinger cover shield

ia/sm and bh/tp - they need the ranged weapon as their base class give them skills for ranged... either the melee/ranged weapon combo or a new item: blaster rifle (or another ranged weapon) with a bayoneta as it would work for either melee and ranged...

as for the summons ideas... i don't like it much because the IA of those things is always dumb as a doornail :p

but maybe a new idea: force sensitive ia/sm/bh/tp being able to use force powers in the third tree would open a lot of thinking room...

As it stands right now I do not think it possible/ feasible to add additional fully voiced class in to the game. Instead I think it is probably best to include a third advanced class to each class in the game right now. I know there are threads like this now but here are just my ideas:

Sith warrior/Jedi knight-sith ravager/jedi duelist. Use a single bladed lightsaber and a focus. Wear medium armor. 3 dps trees. This class is a duelist and agile style class. Their trees revolve around fast pass, agile combat and use moves like ravage and master strike. One tree is heavy single target with stuns and burst, one is AoE DOTS and the third is the shared tree. Certain attacks give them a "combo buff" that stacks to three and certain attacks consume a number of the "combo buff" similar to tactical advantage.

Sith inquisitor/Jedi Consular -imperial guard/Republic Legionare. Wear heavy armor along with vibrostaffs, vibro poleaxes (new weapon) and double bladed light sabers. Have a tank tree and 2 dps trees. Rely more on armor rating than assassins and use a large amount of DoTs. Large number of carges with a "decapitation" type execute move. The tank tree would be similar to the jug. Near invincible but AoE oriented with little single target.

Bounty Hunter/ Trooper - Rocketeer/Demolitions Expert-BH wield pistol or rifle. Rely on delayed explosions similar to Explosive Dart, Thermal Detonator and the agent's explosive probe. Ability to stack explosives on the target and detonate them all at once. All three trees are damage. One single target, one Aoe and the shared tree. Gain a Missile Laucher type of attack that is key to the rotation.

Imperial Agent/Smuggler - Imperial Engineer/ Pirate or Beast master. Both use rifle or pistol. Pet type class. Engineer summons bots and turrets while The Smuggler summons beasts. Have a heal tree, a dps tree and the shared tree. Heal tree relies on summoning the machines/beasts to keep target alive. Dps tree relies on buffing the summoned pets. Key to the rotation is summoning a turret and turret like beast that can beup almost all the time (100% of the time with unique dps tree)

These are just my ideas. Curious about the communities opinion and would love to see some ideas from the community as well. Maybe help Bioware out if they need some inspiration.

for the warrior, you just described a marauder. Marauder's combine their strength with agility making them expert duelists.

for the IA/SM/BH/TP part now I want a force sensitive tree...

I mean... if they were to use the force... what kind of skills would they use?

maybe power them up to move faster, maybe add a little force juice to the atacks they do with the blaster...

for a smuggler, being able to use mind tricks would be just perfect...