Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

Topic #3: Oceanic populations. Are we doing anything about them?

Answer: We are very aware of the concerns with the population levels on the Oceanic servers. The problem is pretty complex, as the solutions we have either split the populations further (like allowing Oceanic players to move to North American servers), or would force players to go to server types (PvP or RP, etc…) that they do not want to be on. Our current plan is to wait for Free-to-Play to launch and see what the influx of new players does to the populations of these servers. We will give it a little time and if we do not see significant improvement, then we will move ahead with the solution that offers the best playing experience for the Oceanic community.

OK, that is it for now. Please keep your comments and questions coming and I will try to answer the biggest, unresolved questions in these “State-of-the-Game” posts. I want to thank you all for the opportunity to be involved with such an amazing game like Star Wars: The Old Republic. I will do everything in my power to take care of the game, and help guide it to a great future.

Jeff Hickman

Executive Producer

Taken from

http://www.swtor.com/blog/star-wars-old-republic-%E2%80%93-state-game

I want low ping, that is what attracts me to playing this AAA game, that i can enjoy it with no latency. So i would rather 1 server that has a big population than individual server types, bugger the PvP, RP, PvE there is barely any world PvP anyway. Id just be annoyed at a 2set of server transfers regardless. It ruins communities

Edited by Bennis

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey we're getting screwed over tonite instead of last night! Wheeeeee ... i didnt even try to play last night bc of the normal prime time downtime only to find out they didnt do maintenance and surprise surprise, its tonite w/ minimal notice AND no patch to fix all the bugs and issues.

why not wait to screw us over til next monday instead? GG Failware!

For the record I really enjoy this game. A story based MMO-RPG that actually lets me RP. It has a fantastic story, that you only get to experience its true scope when you have seen multiple Class stories and their companions stories. Beautifuly interwoven imo.

That aside, the APAC server pop issue is one that has desperately needed attention for some time, more players = a better experience for all. More Flashpoints, more Heroic quests = more story, meeting new people etc.

The need for a solution to the population issue is obvious.

Many of us have stated that BW was waiting for F2P to see how that affected our populations.

I for one am glad they have clarified their intentions to us in writing.

Now we just have to wait and see how this solution works out and over what time frame.

In summary its a great game, that currently Im not enjoying as much as I could because of a low population, I fully understand what Bioware is doing to fix this and yet at the same time my playing experience is currently less than it could be.

I impatiently await the results of this solution.

Entitled gamer you say?

No, I just want what others are getting for the same money.

Cheers

Do you think that there arn't guys already planning on day one of F2P to go to Korriban and Typhon and tell every new player to start on a more active server?

Ugh, that's a little bit revolting to me. I hope that doesn't happen, the APAC servers still have a chance to be a great home for this new influx of players.

completely unrelated question.. in your honest opinion who do you think will win the award for the most ignorant game developer this year?

*note i used "ignorant" as a replacement for the other 200 words that i thought of first.

waiting for F2P.... "LOL"

All f2p will bring is 12 year olds(no offence Gorrick) who will play 1 class to 30, get bored and go play pokeballs with each. They will QQ as they dont know anything about any class and will get pwned by the older players every time they enter the 5 wz they play a week.

Def not the type of players I want. Already sick of people rage quitting pug raids without giving it a proper go. with more noobs comes more /ragequit

Ugh, that's a little bit revolting to me. I hope that doesn't happen, the APAC servers still have a chance to be a great home for this new influx of players.

Revolting is an apt word for it, but I understand the frustrations driving people to give the warnings they wished they had received when the oceanic servers opened.

Ability to play well without lag > Ability to play the type of server you want.

In all honesty, I think there's merit to having open transfers in general, to both APAC and US servers for those on APAC, it gives people choice, but I do believe that it'd be better off to consolidate and force everyone onto a single APAC server. If people still want off a month later, then fine, but at least we'd have taken a chance.

Where's the ideas and chances being taken here? APAC is dying and everyone's just standing around and hoping that it'll instantaneously revive itself and dance like a *********** monkey all day. No, it won't.

Action really needs to be taken, sooner more than later.

I think the negatives of doing something that I believe most don't want would be another PR mess for swtor. Even if the profit margin for APAC are low, shutting it down wouldn't improve anything as most would just unsub. Edited by Davitoeliato

Lets get something constructive going on here.

Go to this poll and choose the option you want in the event that F2P doesn't achieve the desired outcome.

Keep this poll alive so we can get an idea of what the general population wants.

http://poll.pollcode.com/ja9p45

Great idea for a poll :)

Voted for APAC merge, as this gives us the best game play possible, and hopefully with a viable starting population it attracts more and more players back to the APAC single server.

Having the APAC player base spread out on multiple servers, both Oceanic and West Coast US is part of the problem.

I'm loving this game too, and I wish more people that did would post as well, because so far its just the noisy angry ones that should have probably quit, but have made it their missions to make this place and game depressing for all involved.

You are missing the point. I still like the game, and play a lot. But it isn't that great for me, as a paying customer, to accept being ignored for the chance to get Free to Play customers. I work in customer service and I would be out on my buttox pretty soon if I ever treated a customer this badly. You may be in your shiney shiney phase and not mind getting bent over, or even have that much investment in the server. I have been playing since head start and moved most of my characters over here. More than 200 levels worth of time invested. And I have been paying for 3 accounts this whole time. (Well, up until I recently cancelled them over this very issue) I'm pretty sure I deserve more consideration than than a potential free to play player.

Oh, and the reason there aren't many "I'm OK! Bend me over again!" Posts here, is because most of the people are not happy with the current situation. Sure, happy people don't post as much, but when you get a near 100% unified response you can be pretty sure that the population involved feels the same way. This is talked about in game, on other sites where you can talk about what to do without worried about getting banned, and it's talked about in the guilds. There was a Guild Summit on Gav recently to talk about this very issue.

Step 1: Merge all three APAC servers (or just PvE and PvP if RPers want to be left alone).

Step 2: Offer FREE transfers from all US servers to this new server (for everyone that has already rerolled on servers such as The Bastion).

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit! (for realz)

Edited by Chaori

Step 1: Merge all three APAC servers (or just PvE and PvP if RPers want to be left alone).

Step 2: Offer FREE transfers from all US servers to this new server (for everyone that has already rerolled on servers such as The Bastion).

Win Win

Step 2 is actually somthing i hadn't considered - would be a fantastic idea actually

Step 3 could be to offer transfers to NA or EU servers of the type you want (RPer's to RP servers and PVPer's to PvP servers, if they so choose)

Step 3 could be to offer transfers to NA or EU servers of the type you want (RPer's to RP servers and PVPer's to PvP servers, if they so choose)

Much prefer this, have rolled an alt on Dalborra and frankly would not be happy to be moved there. Never realised saying 'Greetings Padawans' on Tython would somehow be offensive :confused: