Where Is It?

Kevinor

It would be nice to keep the Bolster argument out of this thread and keep it kinda more general.

I guess really I'd like to see some acknowledgement that PvP will be getting some attention soon; now that we hear plenty of things about how well the game is doing etc.

I'm secretly hoping that 2.2 will be a mega PvP patch.... and that this post will seem silly once they release more information about it.... but my challenge to BioWare is to release that information sooner rather than later so as to potentially keep people from leaving the game and maybe even entice those that left recently to come back.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard somewhere that bolster is getting fixed on Tuesday's update

But yes some new pvp content would be nice, why did they even stop the gree event? They haven't done anything with Ilum since then and it's just waiting to be used for more gree.

I heard somewhere that bolster is getting fixed on Tuesday's update

But yes some new pvp content would be nice, why did they even stop the gree event? They haven't done anything with Ilum since then and it's just waiting to be used for more gree.

The fact it ever went live in the state it was in kinda hints at how important PvP is to the developers. I guess I'm hoping it was just a release date they struggled to hit because they were working on other things that are coming down the line, too....

And I think the majority of PvPers accept that Open World PvP is something of a pipe dream right now; but Warzones and any other kind of structured PvP should really be added to, in my opinion.

Bioware has yet to realize that for many players, pvp is end game.

I think maybe they underestimate just how many people enjoy PvP; and they're not grasping the opportunity to keep a thriving PvP community playing the game... I really don't think it would take a lot of effort on their part.

I think possibly they also underestimate how much they get from PvP in pure revenue terms, too. I suspect since there's very little PvP-centric items on the Cartel Market that they don't have a good handle on how many people actually spend real money and exclusively PvP in this game. I know a lot of people who subscribe and buy a substantial amount of coins, and those people also almost exclusively PvP.

The current state of the game is so bad, its like playing a beta except youre paying to basically test and find out where you crash, bug out whatever.

Lets start off with the "stuck in spawn" bug, that one is hella annoying and now its even easier to trigger it if youre a Scoundrel/Operative due to Scamper/Exfiltrate

Im not going to talk about the Bolster bug, it was reported on PTS its still here in a smaller form

Charging / Getting pulled causes you on certain areas to clip out of the map, if you charge someone and midair you hit the air vent in Huttball? well youre stuck, you can somewhat move but you cannot attack anyone or charge but you can take damage.

Theres WAY more bugs in PvP but these 3 are the ones I think are major

Its obvious that BioWare too incompetent to spice the game up, if you look at the ranked side, when did "Pre Season" start? It was in 1.3, where are we now? Excactly.

No sign of cross server PvP at all, they would rather focus their dev team on social and RP stuff like "Guild Ships" I mean *** really?

Werent game servers down the first day off "Early access"? (Or atleast for some servers)

- Did you get anything to compensate that? No

Classes / Specs were overnerfed to the state where its rather "unviable" Look at Vanguards / Powertechs just because of a imba hybrid spec, they decided to shut down the Assualt / Pyro tree because of auto crits on HiB / RS, why couldnt they just change the talent?

Its not rocket science to see that BioWare are clueless and resourceless when it comes to maintaining a game and keeping its player pool.

I know its impossible to have a game where rainbows shine and everyone is hugging eachother, but ATLEAST listen to the feedback you got from the PTS and stop giving us a unfinished product.

./end rant

Edited by Masarko

There's already a system in place to separate casuals from hardcores: it's called ranked warzones, which, obviously has been left to rot since its initial implementation.

Ranked warzones require 8 individuals of a specific configuration to even compete, skills notwithstanding. As such don't separate a damn thing.

There are plenty of ranked caliber PvPers of various classes who can't take part of ranked because of a lack of proper team. Without a proper team, you lose to properly configured teams 90% of the time.

Has very little to do with individual skill level.

Sure, within that subset there's the cream of the crop, but calling 'ranked warzones' the only place to seperate casuals from hardcores isn't entirely fair. Individuals like myself have virtually zero control over their ability to play ranked.

Edited by islander

I think maybe they underestimate just how many people enjoy PvP; and they're not grasping the opportunity to keep a thriving PvP community playing the game... I really don't think it would take a lot of effort on their part.

The problem is that they're cheap. Really, really cheap. They laid off a bunch of devs on a buggy, unfinished game and they claim they're going to improve their release cycles and etc etc etc but as we all know, they have probably one developer working on PVP. Anyone who is a coder, understands the bolster bugs, would have caught it and fixed it before it went out. How exactly can you be a dev on this game and not know that relics don't give stat bonuses 1:1 with how legs and hands do? For you to write it that way tells me you've never played this game or just don't care. I like bolster, I just mean that looking at how it went down along with other things they've done in the past, shows me that they're either woefully understaffed or staffed with people who are incompetent or don't care. I'd like to think its the former and not the latter.

I've been working with software for 15 years and I started programming with writing games - I just don't believe that it can take a YEAR per warzone unless there's like one guy and a monkey and dice involved in producing it.

The problem is that they're cheap. Really, really cheap. They laid off a bunch of devs on a buggy, unfinished game and they claim they're going to improve their release cycles and etc etc etc but as we all know, they have probably one developer working on PVP. Anyone who is a coder, understands the bolster bugs, would have caught it and fixed it before it went out. How exactly can you be a dev on this game and not know that relics don't give stat bonuses 1:1 with how legs and hands do? For you to write it that way tells me you've never played this game or just don't care. I like bolster, I just mean that looking at how it went down along with other things they've done in the past, shows me that they're either woefully understaffed or staffed with people who are incompetent or don't care. I'd like to think its the former and not the latter.

I've been working with software for 15 years and I started programming with writing games - I just don't believe that it can take a YEAR per warzone unless there's like one guy and a monkey and dice involved in producing it.

I also work in Software Development; and I'm quietly hoping the reason Bolster was so unfinished was due to other project dates they were trying to hit for some of the other upcoming PvP features and content.

I mean they clearly have some resources working hard on things for the game... but the problem is it's all based around PvE and Cartel Market content from what I can see. There's literally zero effort visible in terms of PvP related content or even communication.... I mean there have been more posts from Eric on the Double Hood issue with Revan's robes than on anything PvP related, other than a couple of posts early on about the Bolster saga.

If it's a case that they just don't care about PvP and they expect to just release generic features and Cartel Market fluff then I would appreciate some kind of acknowledgement that that is indeed the case.

I'm still waiting for any kind of acknowledgement that we haven't been forgotten; and this post was kinda my last gasp attempt at bringing some attention to the issue and trying to get some kind of response.

I'm close to giving up.

I'd rather them focus on fixing pvp first and they've only taken steps backwards with bolster.

Theres a lot of work to be done between balancing teams, fixing bolster, handling the smash monkeys, and calming down the sniping frenzy.

At least they realized their mistake with stun bubble.

I'd rather them focus on fixing pvp first and they've only taken steps backwards with bolster.

Theres a lot of work to be done between balancing teams, fixing bolster, handling the smash monkeys, and calming down the sniping frenzy.

At least they realized their mistake with stun bubble.

You can never "fix" PvP. Bug fixing is something that should always be done, but in parallel with feature development. If all they've been doing the past two months is working on an incredibly buggy Bolster system and failing to roll out bug fixes with any kind of urgency then... I don't really know what to say.

And in terms of stun bubble, it's good they finally adjusted it... but the concerning thing for a lot of people is how damn long it took them to do it.

Anyway; in my mind this thread is more about the kind of content that isn't centered around class balance and gear balance and all that kind of stuff... I'm talking about featyures to spice up PvP, new Warzones and game types, cross-server queues, in-game tournaments, duelling areas on the fleet... the kind of QoL PvP updates that we sorely need, Season 1 of RWZs.... and whatever else they may have in mind.

If all they've been doing the past two months is working on an incredibly buggy Bolster system and failing to roll out bug fixes with any kind of urgency then... I don't really know what to say.

Probably lack of capable coders.

The new skills are actually combined older animations. For example the Operative roll is a combination of Take cover and the dust animation of Force Speed. No code changes involved. Hero engine has the capability to edit and combine the allready existing assets,objects characters etc without even bother with coding. Pathfinding, AI,triggers etc also can be handled the same way.

But Bolster is a different beast. You have to mess with scripting. And Hero engine uses Heroscript, its own language.

So you need someone with knowledge of Heroscript and of course with enough time in his hands to spot and kill the annoying bugs. The only "fix" we have seen after 2,0 launch is the removal of Expertise stat from gear. So just object editing.

My guess? Bad coder or sesional coder.

In both cases I would not wait for new features like Season 1 or cross server very soon.

If you work in Software development you probably know that development actually needs to mess with code.

So unless they have these features ready since launch (like I guess they had Makeb) the more you can hope for is a new warzone.

Edited by Fearine

The new skills are actually combined older animations. For example the Operative roll is a combination of Take cover and the dust animation of Force Speed. No code changes involved. Hero engine has the capability to edit and combine the allready existing assets,objects characters etc without even bother with coding. Pathfinding, AI,triggers etc also can be handled the same way.

But Bolster is a different beast. You have to mess with scripting. And Hero engine uses Heroscript, its own language.

So you need someone with knowledge of Heroscript and of course with enough time in his hands to spot and kill the annoying bugs. The only "fix" we have seen after 2,0 launch is the removal of Expertise stat from gear. So just object editing.

In both cases I would not wait for new features like Season 1 or cross server very soon.

If you work in Software development you probably know that development actually needs to mess with code.

So unless they have these features ready since launch (like I guess they had Makeb) the more you can hope for is a new warzone.

Sad but true.

You sir, get my internets for the most logical post ever on the pvp forums.

Good day, sir.

1. 12th April 2012 - Novare Coast Warzone
  2. 26th June 2012 - Ranked Warzones Pre-Season 1
  3. 11th December 2012 - Ancient Hypergates Warzone
  4. 9th April 2012 - Improved Bolster

So correct me if I'm wrong; but is the list I've given above an accurate reflection of the major PvP features/content introduced since release?

We now also have enough information about 2.1 to conclude there are no PvP features of any significance coming soon.

So I have a simple question: Where is the PvP content? What reason is there for PvP centric players to continue paying and playing?

Brother man, you nailed it. Your points are succinct. Your questions are perfectly reasonable. I too would like to know the answers.

As an aside, I think you were quite gracious in listing "Improved Bolster" as PvP content. If anything, the new Bolster mechanic was implemented for the sake of PvEers, not those that PvP. While I like the idea of the mechanic and would be happy to see an iteration of Bolster that is not broken, I don't consider it PvP content at all.

You excluded it from your list, but I did consider 1.7: The Gree Event to be PvP content though. And I think BW did a good job with the new Ilum. However, that was just a returning to us of something that was taken away, and we don't even have that available to us all the time now.

If you read the full OP you can see he excluded Ilum.

And Ilum wasnt a bigshot pvp update, it was a different kind of Black Hole

I know he missed Ilum, but if you recall, this Ilum revamp, which has been in "development" for over a year, was supposed to be our massive P V P update for 2013. They also said that the only other "update" we could expect for PvP in 2013 was "organic PvP" - meaning we cross paths doing our daily PvE missions. Ilum was their "solution" to open world PvP - the FFA zone was meant to prevent imbalances in factions. The PvE zone was meant to allow us some OW freedom. This is the best they could do after a year of "redesign"...don't expect something better in 2013.

Its astonishing that after all this time they still arent communicating content wise. Yea sure we get to know about the new cartel update on dulfy.net, even if theyre working on something, any information about it just pops up half a week before release.

wow = success because they tinkered with class balance often, and gave feedback. Thats it! Something to look forward to. A feeling that the devs give a crap, wich im sure they do but it doesnt look that way.

I dont know anything about the process of creating content for an mmo, im sure it takes time. But share your plans, assign some people to actually play the different classes in pvp (read; Powertech), then actually listen to THAT guy!

Forums are a whine-infested breeding ground of complaining. But shutting the community out is the death of an mmo.

Peace out

Thats same question as "Where is our pve patch?" that appeared on warhammer online forums.

large scale open rvr + small scale pvp scenarios = warhammer

pve + small scale pvp warzones = swtor

U cant expect they would make some pvp patch for heavy pve game or pve patch for heavy pvp game. well...unless u r pretty naive....

I think they should focus on making ranked warzones somehow interesting and as some1 in game mentioned - solo and grp warzone queues. once pvp is a bit solid they can decide if they want to focus on pve or pvp in upcoming patches.