What are you currently reading?

Cyberwoman

I usually have several books going at once, but at the moment I am concentrating on The Voyage Out (1915) by my favorite author Virgina Woolf. I have decided to read her works in chronological order, so I can experience how her writing style evolves over time.

Apart form that, I have several Doctor Who tie-in books on the go, and a few of Christopher Isherwood's stories (Namely Mr Norris Changes Trains, The Berlin Stories and A Single Man)

Reading War and Peace but I am so really lazy that I'm barely through Book Two.

I took a break in the middle of Demons to read 1984, then forgot to back to it, did the same with Crime and Punishment...

Love me some classical Russian fiction, but it's all so long.

I have a long reading list of "If I had the money", as well, starting with Gail Simone.

Edited by Tatile

Nothing but fan fiction, seeing as how all the top best sellers today are the same. Boy/Girl falls in love with [insert mythical creature here] and four terrible books later, marries said creature and becomes one with their world.

Meeeeeh.

Dancing with Pocahontas in Fern Gully? A tale as old as time, but drier than most actual history.

Don't read as much fanfiction as I used to or should be, sadly.

Stephen King's Joyland and Robert M. Pirsig's Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I plan on finishing them by the end of August and then I'll start Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth.

Edited by TheNahash

Crossroads of twilight from the wheel of time epic its the tenth book from that series

What a epic

Also finishing up on the fate of the Jedi series think theres 1 more book to read

Edited by Ren_simp

Richard J. Evans - The Third Reich in Power

Second part (1933-1939) of a very well-regarded trilogy by one of the better historians of Nazi Germany right now. Evans is in a class with the likes of Ian Kershaw. I will admit that I'm not incredibly interested in the Nazi period or the Second World War - my interests lie in significantly earlier things - but Evans does a good job of aggregating the recent literature in an eminently readable fashion. That said, the readability does come at a price; Evans spent an awful lot of time on anecdotal history and on social/cultural analysis at the expense of talking in-depth about, say, the economy. Considering how provocative his conclusions on that economy were, one would assume he'd spend more time defending them. Oh well. Anyway, that's a minor nitpick. Good book, have learned a lot so far.

Wang Zheng - Women in the Chinese Enlightenment: Oral and Textual Histories

While I am interested in May Fourth China (the strict periodization would probably be 1919-1925 or so, but I prefer to use it as referring to Chinese society from 1919-1937, an acceptable alternative), and gendered history outside the narrow and sterile confines of "late twentieth century white America" is fun and exciting to me, I will confess that I'm reading this book more for research purposes than for anything else. So I've kinda been skipping around. I will say that the interviews, on the whole, were generally very interesting, but what really sold them for me was the author's excellent footnoting.

Atm I'm reading Timothy Zahn's Angelmass. Around 50 pages still left. Usual Zahn quality and another reason why he's my favourite author. I actually like the main characters quite a bit, especially Jereko Kosta is a nice change from Zahn's usual military-background male main characters.

And a living, sentient black hole. Seriously? That's so unbelievable, scary and disturbing at the same time.

Probably trying to finish R. A. Salvatore's Kharon's Claw after this. His new Forgotten Realms books are just...not that great. That one elf lady is competing with Ashoka Tano of the title "the fictive character I hate the most" and dropped my former favourite character from that spot. But hey, at least

Artemis Entreri is back. But even that just isn't the same when he doesn't have those iconic weapons he used to use.

Or maybe I should just read more Zahn after Angelmass. I have the original Cobra trilogy waiting in my bookcase...

• Dev Post
Your thread.

Not gonna lie, this made me laugh harder than it probably should.

As for the actual question, I started reading "The Name of the Wind" on my way to San Diego. I am probably about 2/3 through it and I am loving it. Really, really good fantasy series so far!

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

Excellent recommendation for anyone in this thread -- just started reading this last night.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Its about an MMO simulation game (think Matrix) who's creator dies, and leaves his fortune to the first person to meet a single condition:

Find the easter egg I've hidden in OASIS (the MMO simulation game).

The creator had an obsession with the 1980's, and describes his first experience with finding an easter egg in a video game, which happened to be Atari's Adventure, and the first easter egg ever found in a video game(though not the first created). Only 50 pages in, and would recommend it to everyone.

Edited by Kilora

Currently I'm reading the valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey, in particular the collegium foundation series, but I've been reading the exiles honor series as well, also re-reading the herald mage series.

Also been re-reading the dragon jouster series (also by Lackey), if you like a good fantasy book I would suggest this series.

currently reading Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves..

its so hard to read, that I wouldn't have bothered reading it at all if only it was not that expensive to begin with... X(

but I'm still waiting to be impressed since I am yet to reach halfway the book.

Excellent recommendation for anyone in this thread -- just started reading this last night.

"Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline

Its about an MMO simulation game (think Matrix) who's creator dies, and leaves his fortune to the first person to meet a single condition:

Find the easter egg I've hidden in OASIS (the MMO simulation game).

The creator had an obsession with the 1980's, and describes his first experience with finding an easter egg in a video game, which happened to be Atari's Adventure, and the first easter egg ever found in a video game(though not the first created). Only 50 pages in, and would recommend it to everyone.

I'm a big fan of the book as well, and I remembered fantasizing that SWTOR will have an unannounced mission that will be uncovered by those who tends to love exploration, and that there is an easter egg that would give us some legendary items and/or title.