Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

I don't know why everyone is hating on Bioware for this. They're trying to get people to enjoy the game for as long as they want and if they enjoy it and want more they'll subscribe. I believe that Bioware has done a great thing here by opening up the game to the public. They can try the game and see if they like it. I for one have tried DCUO, STO and LOTRO because they all have f2p and i'm still playing all three. SWTOR can only benefit from this so if you whiney subs can't accept that, go post your **** somewhere else. Bioware are trying to help and you're spitting in their faces.

I agree.

I think they should sell *most* everything in the FTP shop. Vanity items, level up tokens, new speeders, all except highest pve/pvp gear. They need the money to float this game. For all the yelling, screaming louder isn't going to help. Our subs are not floating ToR...at least not well enough for EA and Lucas to be happy. So it's either this or shut the game down. I want the game to grow not shrink and close. (Like CoH/CoV) sniff

Just vanity item shop ala WoW won't help, mark my words.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said in the past FTP, players who choose this option will not pay for anything in game. They are adamant that once you buy a game thats it, and they will not put a penny into the game. There are too many other games and free MMOs out there for them to want to pay to continue paying for a game. Subs at the moment might not be floating the game but at one point they had enough to do just that, due to incompitance with so many issues going unfixed its become a joke. Only tonight after the latest patch there are bug after bug. They just dont know how to run an MMO.

With the 2 bio founders leaving its clear the games on its last legs and the FTP option is its final gamble.

I don't know why everyone is hating on Bioware for this. They're trying to get people to enjoy the game for as long as they want and if they enjoy it and want more they'll subscribe. I believe that Bioware has done a great thing here by opening up the game to the public. They can try the game and see if they like it. I for one have tried DCUO, STO and LOTRO because they all have f2p and i'm still playing all three. SWTOR can only benefit from this so if you whiney subs can't accept that, go post your **** somewhere else. Bioware are trying to help and you're spitting in their faces.

I agree with that you're saying, but still, this is a discussion thread and so people are posting different opinions. Bioware's getting feedback, and just because people disagree with others it doesn't mean they should go somewhere else, or if they disagree with Bioware. I'm not a huge fan of F2P and I'm a bit iffy about it, but I'm gonna still play SWTOR.

There is no Bioware, only Zuul.

they seem to be going the way LOTRO is with the F2P option, which is not a bad thing if you take a step back and look at it all around. while subbed you get x amount of TP a month to use in the turbine store on exclusive mounts, cosmetic gear,pets, crafting tools and recipies as well as some LI improvements and even expansions. Though it seems to lean more to pay to win...in my view it helps those who work for a living catch up faster with the fast pace gear/raid releases. take it however you see it though, i stay subbed to that game to save points to buy expansions and mounts as they come out, ill probly end up dropping that sub to sub this one if its done right in swtor.

I have said in the past FTP, players who choose this option will not pay for anything in game. They are adamant that once you buy a game thats it, and they will not put a penny into the game. There are too many other games and free MMOs out there for them to want to pay to continue paying for a game. Subs at the moment might not be floating the game but at one point they had enough to do just that, due to incompitance with so many issues going unfixed its become a joke. Only tonight after the latest patch there are bug after bug. They just dont know how to run an MMO.

With the 2 bio founders leaving its clear the games on its last legs and the FTP option is its final gamble.

Apparently you dunno anything you're talking about when it comes to this game. FTP was always in the plans. Just because this is a game you do not enjoy, doesn't mean others do, if the game were going under, there'd be more signs of it than just two people leaving. They sold Bioware to EA, they got their money, they're moving on, they're starting a new chapter in their lives, doesn't mean a dang thing for ToR, or Bioware. Another doomsday prophet. Go play whatever flavor of the month MMO you enjoy, leave the rest of us alone to enjoy ours, or, if you enjoy the game, make productive posts. Report those bugs, try to help us get those bugs fixed. Just whining about it never solves anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have an idea that could help wit some of the server issues along with a few other issues that have arose due to the free to play option being instated.

1. I think that there should be a specific server/ servers for free to play player.

2. There should be an option for the paying players to join these servers. If they so choose.

3. The fact that some free to play players actually want to play the game and not mess around and antagonize

the paying players they should be given more cartel coins for being players.

4. I have been playing a while and when I hop onto my home server and find people RPing things they really shouldn't over general chat. It kinda makes me want to stop playing a bit. So my suggestion is have more mods in game.

5. Give the Paying players something, yes we got cartel coins but to be honest there are many different things that could be added for us. We have been playing for a while and have achieved a lot in game. We have fought for the right of each side. Jedi, Sith, Light or dark side. We have been playing and we deserve to have a little something more so to speak. Im not saying we need more, but I have suggested a lot of things that would be cool to see happen.

I did mean to turn this into a rant but at the same time it kinda needs to be. I know that some people agree with me and others don't I have no issues with that. Its all opinion, but when friends of mine are being booted from the server so people like me can play I really find that it is an issue. People want to play and I don't have any issues with that. I just think that everyone should get a fair chance.

• 5 months later...

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.

Quote by Jeff Hickman

Why is this no longer the case? Has there been a change in direction?

I would really like Jeff to answer this question as he obviously lied or there is some misunderstanding within the Development team on their remit with the Cartel Market

Starting this Fall, there will be two ways to enjoy the game. First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge.

Quote by Jeff Hickman

I would really like Jeff to answer this question as he obviously lied or there is some misunderstanding within the Development team on their remit with the Cartel Market

well they said MANY things before and didnt happen so dont really believe what they say lol, in another word Did you really believe that?

Quote by Jeff Hickman

Dude?? You bumped a thread that hasn't been posted to in over 5 months to ask about something that is being discussed in multiple threads??

And yes, subscribers have free access to all content and all new content..

You think next time you can just use a current thread instead of needlessly bumping an old one?? :rolleyes:

Quote by Jeff Hickman

Great find. Enjoy game updates and features and no additional charge? Haha... What's up with the Kiosk, then? Major feature of 2.1? And dyes, too.

Great find. Enjoy game updates and features and no additional charge? Haha... What's up with the Kiosk, then? Major feature of 2.1? And dyes, too.

So by your logic everything in the game should just be free.. No need for subscribers to even have credits or a monthly grant of complementary coins.. Really?? No need for an in game economy??

Get a grip people.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

Eh EA controls everything now. They just want to kill the game and move on to something else. If they really cared they would have brought out an expansion that meant something and didn't nerf the crap out of tanks.

Except Makeb. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Makeb was an expansion.. Just like Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria..

All of which every single sub in WOW has to pay for to play.. Do you have an issue with subscribers paying for expansions?? I mean it isn't a new concept.. What is it about paying for expansions do you not understand??

Subs paid $10 for the SWTOR expansion.. I paid much more for the WOW expansions..

And if you are going to roll your eyes at someone.. At least have the common sense to make sure you are correct in your statement or views.. Because in this case.. It is pretty common for subscribers to be charged for expansions.. Like Makeb.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

Makeb was an expansion.. Just like Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria..

All of which every single sub in WOW has to pay for to play.. Do you have an issue with subscribers paying for expansions?? I mean it isn't a new concept.. What is it about paying for expansions do you not understand??

Subs paid $10 for the SWTOR expansion.. I paid much more for the WOW expansions..

And if you are going to roll your eyes at someone.. At least have the common sense to make sure you are correct in your statement or views.. Because in this case.. It is pretty common for subscribers to be charged for expansions.. Like Makeb.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Need to look at your own posts. I was just quoting what you said and said exactly this:

Subs don't have FREE access to ALL new content, such as expansions. Your statement is false :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Avatarless

Key thing here is that an Expansion while in essence is a game update its called and sold as an expansion not game update

A game update is basically anything new they add at the max level so your looking at the denova patch the section x patch and the upcomming 2.1 update

While they are giving subs free cartel coins we cant say diddly squat about not getting something out of the cartel market for free, yes you may have to save up a couple months for some things but if you want something NOW!!!! then your gonna have to dig into your pocket which is YOUR choice

Im on the fence about paying for an expansion in a F2P game but i would buy a hutt cartel mini expansion for that price when ever one drops as compared to none f2p games it was a quality product and worth the money it cost me

As for my sub i want to raid bleeding edge content with my guild and get all the gear that i work hard for hell yes its worth my bucks, if your a loner or scrub who wants to raid crappy story modes and never progress into anything challanging shut up whining buy your unlocks and go prefered then we dont have to listen to that horse crap comming out of that hole of yours

Need to look at your own posts. I was just quoting what you said and said exactly this:

Subs don't have FREE access to ALL new content, such as expansions. Your statement is false :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wrong.. Expansions are different.. That is your error.. My statement is 100% correct.. There is a reason the word expansions is not there.. You adding it to suit your own needs and views is your own mistake not mine..

Did we pay for TFB when it was added?? What about Section X?? That is content.. Makeb was an expansion.. That is different.. You are just grasping at straws.. :rolleyes:

Wrong.. Expansions are different.. That is your error.. My statement is 100% correct.. There is a reason the word expansions is not there.. You adding it to suit your own needs and views is your own mistake not mine..

Did we pay for TFB when it was added?? What about Section X?? That is content.. Makeb was an expansion.. That is different.. You are just grasping at straws.. :rolleyes:

So your saying expansions aren't content.. which makes no sense. So who is grabbing straws now? :rolleyes::eek::p