I am a pilot, I NEED A JOYSTICK

DarthKurt

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop asking for joysticks and gamepads, people, it's not going to happen. Simple fact of the matter is that the system GSF uses for controls will never be compatible with anything other than a mouse.

I prefer mouse and keyboard as well, although I figured I would pull up a

I hate to break to you, dude

but playing wiht a Joystick is total crap

this aint the 80s and this isnt a flying sim

I find it very relaxing the devs managed to reduce the amount

of Information and control Inputs you normaly have to deal with

in space flight simulations like STAR.SHATTER or STAR.Conflict

You can get used to it in 3 to 5 matches and you can start having fun

the amount of buttonpressing is already high but its just enough to make you

feel you really did something for your kills without draining the concentration to much

since over 10 years now devs try to make flight games that can be played well

and intuitive with mouse and Keyboard

there are not many space.flight games ou there ...

so I have no Problem seeing this swtor mini game

as one of the best space.combat games available the the last few years

I hate breaking it to you dude as well, but I happen to enjoy playing with a joystick while playing a flight sim or in this case a space sim. The controls are sluggish and unnatural when using a mouse to turn your ship and target enemies. And this has nothing to do with "80s" or anything of the sort. If you ever played a flight sim without a joystick then played with one, you'll see the difference of night and day. Playing GS with a mouse, keyboard is as bad as playing Mortal Kombat with a Pong controller.

BW, BRING JOYSTICK SUPPORT PERIOD!!!

Edited by LordZore

opinions ...

but how would you Play this game with a stick?

you would not only have to use it to steer but also to aim

with the mouse you can make ultra slow, precise movments

as well as fast and general movments at the same time

my Point is, using a Joystick means you lose reaction time,

the game has to be designed with this in mind, this game is not

the maps are not big enough, the Speed controls are not precise enough

to make using a stick meaningfull ... and the game was intentanally designed

this way to make it fast pace and accessable

People who like planes, space ships and stuff but dont like simulations

are the ones that dont get much visual fun from such games, because

you cant see your ship, you barely see your enemys, you Need to

hard work with the controls to get an Encounters that often only last

a few seconds and will result in your death

all this is not present in galactic.starfighter and its an achievment

I am all for this if it would be possible, but not in this MMO ^^

http://cdn2.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Steel-Battalion-controller.jpg

I just have to weigh in here. As an air combat enthusiast and fan of ACTUAL flight sims like IL-2, Falcon 4.0, the MS Flight Simulator games and others, I really would never really want to use my flight stick for arcade sims like GSF or Freespace. I simply fail to see why one would need the fine control of a joystick when one doesn't have any wind or gravity or stall profile to contend with. In arcade sims, all you're really doing is pointing a cursor, not controlling an aircraft, and for me the mouse will always be superior to a joystick for that function. It's just faster and more precise.

Now I realize personal comfort applies here, because I guess many people who grew up on XvT and other classic space sims are more used to the joystick. But, just to give my view on things, I have tried playing games like Battlefield or Planetside with both a mouse and a joystick and I've always felt that, as long as you didn't have any 'realistic' flight characteristics to deal with, it's much easier getting your crosshair on target with a mouse.

opinions ...

but how would you Play this game with a stick?

you would not only have to use it to steer but also to aim

with the mouse you can make ultra slow, precise movments

as well as fast and general movments at the same time

my Point is, using a Joystick means you lose reaction time,

the game has to be designed with this in mind, this game is not

the maps are not big enough, the Speed controls are not precise enough

to make using a stick meaningfull ... and the game was intentanally designed

this way to make it fast pace and accessable

People who like planes, space ships and stuff but dont like simulations

are the ones that dont get much visual fun from such games, because

you cant see your ship, you barely see your enemys, you Need to

hard work with the controls to get an Encounters that often only last

a few seconds and will result in your death

all this is not present in galactic.starfighter and its an achievment

I am all for this if it would be possible, but not in this MMO ^^

http://cdn2.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Steel-Battalion-controller.jpg

Mice are not made for 3d movement, they have 2 axis. This game has 3d movement, yaw, pitch and roll. I cant put it into any more simpler terms that that. If you cant understand it then this is probably not a conversation for you.

Mice are not made for 3d movement, they have 2 axis. This game has 3d movement, yaw, pitch and roll. I cant put it into any more simpler terms that that. If you cant understand it then this is probably not a conversation for you.

A joystick only controls pitch and roll. Also 2 axis.

this is nonesense, dude

how do you control yaw with the stick?

you dont ... do this directly unless you are in a helicopter

and as you may notice, this game goes even further by putting pitch on the mouse but roll

on the Keyboard

see, totally not your discusion

The GSF is basically a first person shooter game with a star ship skin on it. I find it very hard to believe someone can achieve the same level of accuracy with a joystick as they would with a mouse. I've seen "great" players on Xbox playing shooting games with a game pad but their reaction speed and aiming is way below that of a PC player with a mouse.

this is nonesense, dude

At least on my old joystick you could just twist it left/right for yaw, move it physically left/right for roll, and up/down for pitch. In theory using that stick I could do with one hand what I currently require two hands to do. I'd take being able to use one hand to fly and the other for adjusting speed/power/abilities than the current system which seems far less efficient.

This all assumes they do a good job adding joystick support but still the point is with a good stick the controls could be much more simple than they currently are.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

Not everyone has a twisty stick, and you still forgot your throttle either ways. Your original argument is moot no matter what considering real aircraft require two hands AND feet to control. The joystick is not inherently more suited to 3d movement than the mouse is.

Not everyone has a twisty stick, and you still forgot your throttle either ways. Your original argument is moot no matter what considering real aircraft require two hands AND feet to control. The joystick is not inherently more suited to 3d movement than the mouse is.

I was assuming that my second hand would worry about throttle (along with power adjustments and abilities) while my hand using the stick flew the starfighter and shot. And ok if we want to get real technical everyone should go buy rudder peddles but I think the point of this discussion is the merits of sticks over mice (or visa versa depending on your view) not uber realism.

Yes I know not everyone will have a twisty stick, my point was that there are sticks out there that can perform more functions using a single hand than would be possible with just a mouse. I would assume that if a player didn't have a twisty stick they'd make a judgement call as to which control setup they liked more. I see no reason though that if someone does own a twisty stick they shouldn't be able to use it.

this is nonesense, dude

you dont ... do this directly unless you are in a helicopter

and as you may notice, this game goes even further by putting pitch on the mouse but roll

on the Keyboard

see, totally not your discusion

Yaw on a stick is controlled by the twist. and planes have yaw too, usually controlled by pedals. Like I said, if you don't know what youre talking about why are you here arguing.

The GSF is basically a first person shooter game with a star ship skin on it. I find it very hard to believe someone can achieve the same level of accuracy with a joystick as they would with a mouse. I've seen "great" players on Xbox playing shooting games with a game pad but their reaction speed and aiming is way below that of a PC player with a mouse.

Yes a mouse is more accurate for shooting, but if you gave these ships real yaw pitch and roll it wouldn't be shooter, it would be a fight game. Which is what people asked for.

And ok if we want to get real technical everyone should go buy rudder peddles but I think the point of this discussion is the merits of sticks over mice (or visa versa depending on your view) not uber realism.

Sorry, my mistake. I mistook you for the poster that said that mice weren't suited for 3D movement, which was what I was referring to when I meant 'your original point'.

Yes a mouse is more accurate for shooting, but if you gave these ships real yaw pitch and roll it wouldn't be shooter, it would be a fight game. Which is what people asked for.

So what exactly is your point? That the controls are bad or that the game is bad? Because I think you just said it yourself, that as the game is right now, the mouse is perfectly fine.

I suppose they can do what they want, but unless they take out mouse controls, joystick users will be at a disadvantage.

Ok, I will settle this argument right now.

What we need is a nerf-herding gamepad, my dudes.

Check me out, I've played lots of sorta fake flight sims in my day and I love 'em and the best, most natural way to play -- to me -- was with a gamepad. I will reference all of you back to Air Pirates aka crimson skies, which is basically GSF without cooldowns on your flying moves and more hot pirate girls, which is what this game should be. This game was made for a pad, it's got 4 buttons, two triggers and you need both thumbs to move. (And you'd use the shoulder buttons to switch power scheme.)

I dunno about pitch or **** but I do know they should probably replace joysticks on real planes with an xbox controller. I'd handle one then.

I really would like to see both gamepad and joystick support for this. If you are fine with a mouse then stick with it. I don't think anyone is saying it should be joystick ONLY.

Of course, as is usually the case, the mouse will provide an advantage to those that are skilled with it, but honestly it wouldn't take too much to calibrate the joystick to approximate it close enough.