Swelling Shadows Worth it?

Berronaxftw

yeh i havent specd swelling shadows at all no matter what various specs i try cos i think its worthless.. the effect has a 4.5 seccond cooldown and is allready 50% chance on hit/damage so wouldnt it be procin every 3 sec by those numbers? i seen alot of guides and stuff telling you to spec it but im not sure..any1 think its worth it?

i personally put points into it. i always thought a little extra help with tanking would help me out but that's just me, plus little more healing helps whenever i can get that with overcharge saber it can turn the tide in a 1v1 fight imo

i personally put points into it. i always thought a little extra help with tanking would help me out but that's just me, plus little more healing helps whenever i can get that with overcharge saber it can turn the tide in a 1v1 fight imo

ye but if its 50% proc chance u should get 1 every 1-4 hits (DR Included) and if its on a 4.5 sec cooldown then in a way its useless..suppose only way it would be worth taking it is if it reduced the cooldown by 7.5/15%

Just because the proc can only happen every 4.5 seconds doesn't mean the game remembers that you should be due up for one. If you didn't proc a Dark Charge 4.5s after your last heal, that's some amount of healing lost that you'll never get back.

You proc a heal, and 4.5 seconds later you use a Thrash. There's a 25% chance it won't proc dark charge. With +15% chance to proc, the chance it won't proc is 12.25%. There's also a 6.25% chance you won't get a proc 2 Thrashes later, versus ~1% with the talent. This is also more significant if you use single hit attacks more often (Maul/Shock/etc).

Now is this really that important? I have no idea. But it does have an effect.

Speccing into Swelling Shadows also boosts your average DPS, though very slightly. People often forget that when your heal procs, you also deal some small internal damage to your target as an extra bonus.

In the Darkness tree, you're gonna find some moments in the lower tiers where its either crappy talent #1 or crappy talent #2. Personally, I'd vote Swelling Shadows as being more helpful in the long run than some of the other options you get. Of course, the stuff that's obviously better gets picked up first. But you'll eventually have to dump some points somewhere into something else that's kinda meh, in order to get to the next tiers.

To answer the question you were implying, no it's not gonna kill you to not have Swelling Shadows if you think it won't help you. It's just that some players find it marginally better than the other dump talents that you'll have.