SSD Does NOTHING to improve Loading Times for SWTOR

SiEDeN

I purchased an SSD specifically for this game in hopes to improve load times for zone transitions. I ran speed tests for zones on both my HDD and SSD, unfortunately the loading times were nearly identical. I guess the file structure of SWTOR just doesn't seem to benefit from SSD's at all, at least from my experience.

Can anyone else confirm this or perhaps are getting load times down some from SSD's?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purchased an SSD specifically for this game in hopes to improve load times for zone transitions. I ran speed tests for zones on both my HDD and SSD, unfortunately the loading times were nearly identical. I guess the file structure of SWTOR just doesn't seem to benefit from SSD's at all, at least from my experience.

Can anyone else confirm this or perhaps are getting load times down some from SSD's?

The engine is horribly coded. I have an i7 at 4.1 ghz, SLI 580 gtx, and an SSD, but I still get 3-4 minute load times.

Most of the delay in loading zones is retrieving dynamic data from the server, not loading static data from disk. No SSD in the world is going to get rid of that delay.

So, first you made an assumption (TOR should load faster with an SSD) then blamed TOR's "file structure" because it didn't? What is the point of this thread again?

I...buh...wha?

Do you even know the difference between magnetic disk drives and SSDs?

I have a 240GB PCI SSD. Not only the amazing read/write of SSD, but the transfer speed of the PCI-E slot versus the limited transfer speed of SATA.

My load times average 20-25 seconds. I've only played on this rig, so I have no comparison, but that seems very fast.

Edited by SWNefai

I have mine installed on a ssd. Wife has her on a regular hd and my game loads 2 to 3 times faster than hers in every load screen.

I can see a perfect comparison she sits right by me and we can walk through to an area at exact same time so i have a good view of it.

Her computer is a little more powerful than mine even minus a ssd.

Hard drive has nothing to do with the loading time, but rather the amount of people on the planet/location you are loading into, because on the Imp side, the load times are crazy, but when I re-rolled a Rep the other day, when I finally got to go to the Fleet, the load time was like 1/3rd the time, and that goes with the theory of having a 66/33 Imp/Rep ratio.

Er. What dynamic data? And what proof can you offer of its existence?

Uhhh, only the server knows what players are in the zone you are zoning into, where they are located and what they are wearing, what companion they have out, etc....

I also have it installed on an SSD. It might be faster than a regular HD (i wouldnt know), but it still takes a bit of time.. thats probably because of Bioware's servers though, and not your machine. There is usually a 20 second wait for me, then the wheel starts spinning, loading bar fills, etc...

This tells me that in all likelihood, its the server that takes time to answer, and takes time to "feed the local client" the info it needs.

Played over my blackberry last night. Talk about long load times on the same computer. Back to high speed tomorrow, thankfully.

I think it pulls a lot from the server even though the whole game is on your drive already so not sure what it has to pull at that time but faster connections will help for sure.

Though I think after a while you hit a wall so after a certain speed (2mb connection just as an example) the load times do not change or they cannot push that info to you faster.

CPU will play a part as well but again you hit that magic wall at a fairly low clock speed which most people are above.

It's most likely the server handing off your character to another server. I notice load times change drastically depending on what time of day it is. If you look it's probably slower at peak hours. That's why the bar zips across and seems hang for a few seconds towards the end. Still, it's usually under 20 seconds max most of the time. I only really get annoyed when forced to shuttle from the planet to orbital to ship.