Future 3D Space Combat

Rohanshot

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some players who want it. But I also know many, many players who are not interested in space combat at all and just played the first missions. And "to do it right" needs lot of capacities. I'm quite sure multiplayer battles were planned in the beginning, but didn't work well. (Space station attack for example, where you start with 3 player ships on your side.)

@Utio: You have to pay the "space team" too.

I'm one of the players who has played only the first space mission and don't care for space in TOR BECAUSE it is not Open flight space. If it were open flight multiplayer space then I would get excited for it. I imagine many others would as well.

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

There is tons of star wars games that dont have space combat... Besides SWTOR is a sucessor of the KOTORS role playing games, obviously it reflects on this, since the kotors didnt had space combat. Well they had a mini game, naturaly swtor was meant to have a mini game as well, but people complained about an MMORPG not having a fully space combat, so they might be adding this, but it was never in the plans inicialy.

Having 3D space means nothing if they're going to keep the straight rail game they have now. What they need to do is wipe out the current space system and put something similar to what SWG had. Free space roaming, pvp battles and missions where the enemy ships actually shoot back and you can engage in dog-fights.

Anyone who enjoyed SWG's space content & pvp would agree that SWTOR could make this future expansion possible. A few years ago a friend of mine talked me into trying out the space mining and combat in SWG and I hated it at first, but once I built my own custom ship and did some pvp and missions, I was "hooked". I spent weeks mining asteroids and getting the schematics rewarded to build my BH a Black Sun Vigo Gunship after reaching Ace Pilot rank, it was amazing and even more fun with friends controlling the multi gun turrets while I flew it with a engineer and co-pilot. A lot of people complained of control issues, but a pc game controller solved that once you got use to it. :csw_falcon:

Could this mean 3D space combat is in the future for SWTOR?

Remember how much they hyped the legacy system updates back when they were actually in developing legacy? Now nothing but silence reagrding future space combat. When they have something worth talking about, they hype it up. When they have nothing but a few scribblings on a wall of crazy, they clam up. Look at what they are doing now.

Edited by shepardcomander

Having 3D space means nothing if they're going to keep the straight rail game they have now. What they need to do is wipe out the current space system and put something similar to what SWG had. Free space roaming, pvp battles and missions where the enemy ships actually shoot back and you can engage in dog-fights.

100 times YES!

/signed

Personally, I like the space combat as it is. It is a mini game. They only thing I would change is make all the space missions level with the mods added to ship, that way when you have level 5 mods, not every mission is grey.

So what if it is on rails, there is alot of cool rail games. I don't think the space missions were EVER advertised as anything other then what it is. An god, don't make any changes that resemble ANYTHING of SWG, cause that game really did well..../sarcasm off.

Anyone who enjoyed SWG's space content & pvp would agree that SWTOR could make this future expansion possible. A few years ago a friend of mine talked me into trying out the space mining and combat in SWG and I hated it at first, but once I built my own custom ship and did some pvp and missions, I was "hooked". I spent weeks mining asteroids and getting the schematics rewarded to build my BH a Black Sun Vigo Gunship after reaching Ace Pilot rank, it was amazing and even more fun with friends controlling the multi gun turrets while I flew it with a engineer and co-pilot. A lot of people complained of control issues, but a pc game controller solved that once you got use to it. :csw_falcon:

I was hooked on space too. The fact pilot was a seperate prof was nice too, and i hope they do that here. I don't want to just be an ace, i want to work at it. I aced about 30 times over about 8 characters, had every ship going, i even had multiple gunships lol. Taking guildmates up into space was so much fun, even if it was just for partying on a yacht. The more i'm typing, the more i remember and miss it. I really hope they can do something similar here.

Personally, I like the space combat as it is. It is a mini game. They only thing I would change is make all the space missions level with the mods added to ship, that way when you have level 5 mods, not every mission is grey.

So what if it is on rails, there is alot of cool rail games. I don't think the space missions were EVER advertised as anything other then what it is. An god, don't make any changes that resemble ANYTHING of SWG, cause that game really did well..../sarcasm off.

I'd like them to keep the rail game for people like you that like it. no one loses then. As for swg, did you play space? It was amazingly well implemented, and alot of fun.

I dont know if you ever played galaxies,but they had a whole expansion based on space flight called jump to lightspeed that didnt come out till well after launch....I voted for bioware to do this and im glad they are eventually going to implement it.The space game as it is now,is horrible!

Completely agree.. I hate the current iteration of space in this game. I want to break out my X52 flight gear and kick Imperial booty all over the galaxy. I just hope they add in a huge amount of fighters that can be upgraded. I just hope we don't get locked into one type of fighter craft.

I'd like them to keep the rail game for people like you that like it. no one loses then. As for swg, did you play space? It was amazingly well implemented, and alot of fun.

Not only would I like to keep the fail rails in place for those who claim to like them, I'd like the metrics data made available so everyone can clearly see which form of space combat is superior and by how big of a margin :D

Actually SWG DID do space combat well. The trouble is the people commenting that SWG was a big failure is usually from the players that gave it 5 mins or think it's what they should say having read it on the internet.

3D space combat is one of the biggest improvements BW could make to this game. I hate the on-rails mini game so much that I don't even bother with it anymore. The restrictions it places on combat with no freedom of movement makes it too tedious and frustrating to play. A game with the Star Wars name deserves a better space experience than the one currently offered and an expansion similar to JTL would be a perfect fit.

Edited by Cordelia

I don't think its a good idea.

1.) It takes lots of resources which could be used in better ways

2.) 3D space combat is a complete different game. I don't see the benefit for TOR

3.) Only a small number of players will be interested in such a feature. 3D space combat is much too difficult for most of the players.

I have to disagree with you. This is some of the best new I have head come out of the bioware camp in a long time. Why? Space combat belongs in star wars plain and simple, it was apart of every movie and was a Hugh hit for SWG.

Edited by pogmahone

I was hoping that I could play a rousing game of Mahjong Tiles from within SWTOR, but this futuristic 3D space thing may have potential. Seriously though, I would like to see the mess on the ground cleaned up first before they start wreaking havoc in space.

I saw this on Google news and its got me REALLY interested!

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1333873/swtor_lead_dev_most_excited_by_incoming_space_features.html

For anyone who hasn't read it, basically SWTOR's "Lead Designer has told NowGamer that "the next iteration of space is the single thing" he's most excited about across all of SWTOR's incoming new features."

The article also mentions how 3D space combat came out on top on the poll Bioware gave a few weeks back out of a list of features we want in the future.

Could this mean 3D space combat is in the future for SWTOR?

I am very excited by this. I really hope that TOR can live up to the promises and allow Pilot to be a valid class/subclass.

The point is: you have limited resources. You can create 10 new flashpoints or 3D space combat. Not both.

So 10 new flashpoints that will attract exactly nobody new to the game who is not already playing it and the current user base will blow through in a day or 3D space combat which will attract a completely new demographic of players.

Which is the better use of the limited resources again?

I would love to see this. If this game had star trek onlines 3d space combat / travel system and combined it with this games ground content the result would be an amazing game.

The going in your ship and watching it on a viewer to travel kinda made this game feel small. They should let you free roam the systems, combat etc, random encounters. I mean the only limit would be their imagination.

For those who dont want to, you can always just fast travel.

They should have had full space game in at launch. Playing catch up now is something they wouldn't have to have done. How on earth they could have made a star wars game without space is something I'll never get my head around.

And it's funny how they've been so quiet about it, but now it's come out top in the polls, suddenly they're soooo excited.

because if they added everything at launch what you would add latter? SWG didn't get space combat till after what almost 2 years when Jump to Lightspeed came out?

They have been saying they have something big for Space Combat since launch so it's not like they have been quiet about it you just haven't been listening.