My one beef with legacy

darkjedibn

Here is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about legacy. In the legacy tree you can make an alt a child. So let say i have a Jedi knight main and i decided to role another Jedi knight alt (crazy example i know but shows my point). So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did? It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.

Here is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about legacy. In the legacy tree you can make an alt a child. So let say i have a Jedi knight main and i decided to role another Jedi knight alt (crazy example i know but shows my point). So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did? It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.

totally agree here. Figured making them siblings makes alot more sense

So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did?

That's really only slightly more of a problem then the fact that every Jedi Knight goes though the same story. Yes it's a bit weird, but that's just the nature of MMO's.

Yeah, from an RP standpoint it's bit rough if you're trying to make a dynasty of Jedi or something... you have a knight, a consular, maybe someone is taken by the Empire and is Sith, and maybe one forsakes their talents and is a Smuggler, but it wouldn't be much of a Jedi legacy with only two Jedis and the rest just force-sensitives. Someone wanting to RP a Mandalorian legacy would have it even harder.

But from a practical standpoint, it seems kind of crazy for your alt to replay the same story you did on your main when you have 7 other stories to choose from - plus playing a SW would give you the same class as the JK but the fun of a new story if you were insistent on wanting the same playstyle.

Game definitely fosters a legacy consisting of a couple characters related by blood, the rest their allies/nemeses, rather than a literal family tree.

It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.

You forgot to mention that if child is same gender he also has your romance option as his own romance option. Family traditions, I suppose....

I already wrote same thing about "children" in legacy. It has nothing to do with RP. RPing "kids" without a single timeline difference? Running both kids and parents same daylies?...

Marry same companions?...

They really missed those points when they wrote about Skywalker legacy, huh? I mean that both Solo and his kids had to take down same planetary bosses and do same missions?...

I already wrote same thing about "children" in legacy. It has nothing to do with RP. RPing "kids" without a single timeline difference? Running both kids and parents same daylies?...

Marry same companions?...

They really missed those points when they wrote about Skywalker legacy, huh? I mean that both Solo and his kids had to take down same planetary bosses and do same missions?...

Well, short of making this a single-player game, or them releasing an expac and you deciding to play the the child in the continued story and retire the old parent, you kind of have to suspend disbelief.

Of course the timeline stuff can work if you figure your main is in their 40s and their child in their 20s.

As for kids having the same stories (and same companions/romances) as their folks, Bioware's just kind of forcing your hand into not having children follow in their parents' footsteps!

"Daddy!"

"What's up son?"

"I just killed INSERT MAIN ANTAGONIST HERE"

"Good job! I only managed to kill him when I was several years older than you! I am so proud!"

"..."

I think it just makes for funnier situations. :D

Well since the sith warrior talks about being from a high uP family I made him and my Jedi knight my assassins son. It fits. My assassin married my consular

gotta be one wild marriage unless they are both the same alignment, but even then

Meh, the way i see it...or how my lore will go:

My current three chars (SW BH and Trooper) are all siblings

my next char (smuggler prolly) will be the SW and Vettes Kid (i married vette)

The next char will be their force using child idk what class

the point is, the whole kid thing works better if you dont make the same class you kid or even sibling. its meant more for class diversity. just my opinion

I think you hardcore RP folks are going to have to engage in a little suspension of disbelief here...

Considering their "kid" will be engaging in the same story in the exact same time period as the parents, I'd say you are correct. Unless you RP your characters as in their 40s-50s, then it could work out.

there's no point to making a family tree is there? except for the story or lore. this is a legit question, not me being douchey. Is there any real benefit to making a JK and a JC marry and have a son that ends up being a trooper? bc even if they're not family, you still get the buff of a lvl 50 character in that class right?

there's no point to making a family tree is there? except for the story or lore. this is a legit question, not me being douchey. Is there any real benefit to making a JK and a JC marry and have a son that ends up being a trooper? bc even if they're not family, you still get the buff of a lvl 50 character in that class right?

It is just availble for RP reasons and has no in game mechanical impact.

my next char (smuggler prolly) will be the SW and Vettes Kid (i married vette)

Uhm...Won't do, sorry. First - Vette can't be added to your legacy. And aslo (minor spoiler for smuggler companion story)

Vette was a friend of smugs companion Risha when she was a kid, they are about same age, I belive, and so does smuggler. So...Vette's very unlikely to have an adult child that would make friends (or even more for male ones) with her childhood long-lost friendship.

It is just availble for RP reasons and has no in game mechanical impact.

The thing is...that it has no RP impacts also. Those who RP - RP without that colored table perfectly well, and they don't have to wear same legacy names cross they chars etc. You can't even show this tree to the rest of players. And even if you could - it does not change anything. You either RP or not. I hardly can imagine person who sais "oh, now I've got a color scheme with lines and pictures. At last I can start my own fic!".

You could say the same about every other player getting to kill the same exact bad guys with THEIR Jedi Guardians. If you look at it from lore-perspective it doesn't make any sense that all PC's are heroes, even among other exceptional people of their class.

This has nothing to do with Legacy.

Ummm i don't know any RPer that RPs the story line anyways. And if you're that mad about your "kid" having the same story line, what about ever one of the same class having it and having the same wife as you ? LoL Edited by Iwih

honestly? like most MMORPG's unless you're playing with friends whom all have different classes than you, you'll need to divorce your character from their "official" storyline anyway- in multiplayer rp, you have to account for multiple heroes often doing many of the same things, since you're divorcing it from that anyway, rpers should have no trouble with the necessary suspension of disbelief- when you roleplay, your character isn't THE hero, they're A hero.

I remember from World of Warcraft, my Paladin had almost nothing to do with the Sylvanus ICC instances- or the main raid that i did. Storywise, he was part of a heavy branch assault going after the nearby cathedral of darkness, prior to that he didn't level throughout Azeroth, he spent 1-60 as a part of the Argent plague lands fighting after having been stranded outside of Silvermoon.

All of the above takes only the lightest inspiration from his actual experiences, and the same goes for the stories crafted around the characters of my friends. I retooled things to fit into a multiplayer role playing perspective.

My personal story?

My Sith Assassin and Jedi Sage are going to be brother and sister (lightside / darkside respectively- so much duality, having been split up at a young age- the families daughter ending up with the jedi order- and her brother the force sensitive slave), My Operative will probably be a cousin if i can arrange it properly- her family having assimilated into the Empire.

I haven't really figured out sons and daughters yet- and I'd be more likely to make adopted ones anyway.

Here's what I don't see as such a big deal, you say that you don't like the idea of two of the same class being related and one having done the stuff already that the younger one is going through, no says that you have to make two of the same class how you go about building your family tree is completely up to you and really it doesn't make a WHOLE lot of sense unless you made a guardian and want to go back and try playing a sentinenl, but then again you don't really have to add them to the family tree either. Anyways, all this means little to me since I only play one character and that "in practice" is who I am in the game.

None of it makes sense.

All the stories are taking place at around the same time so none of them can be your children. There are references in each class/faction story to other class/faction stories. For in the Republic Nar Shadaa bonus series it mentions stuff an empire character would have done in their faction quests. Like the attack on SIS headquarters on that world.

And how a human has a biological child that is twi'lek or zabrak is absurd. Legacy is one the dumbest things they've thought up. Very ill conceived imo.

Edited by Dayshadow