Volt Rush is laughable

Gramm

Telekinetic Blitz (Sage) / Volt Rush (Sorc) should be completely ignored from a DPS perspective unless you have the Endless Offensive set and Elemental Convection tactical. The two have great synergy and were clearly designed for each other. Without them it is a complete waste, from a DPS perspective. Unfortunately, the Endless Offensive sets increased drop chance location is the Dxun OP specifically and is not sold on the tech frag vendor. The Elemental Convection tactical has an increased drop chance from flashpoints and is sold on the tech frag vendor, so that might be a little more accessible.

Endless Offensive:

4 piece - Telekinetic Blitz / Volt Rush deals 10% more damage

6 piece - Energize now stack up to 3 times. Force Speed immediately recharges one Volt Rush ability charge.

Elemental Convection:

Volt Rush triggers Lightning Storm when activated. Chain Lightning gives you Volt Flux, causing your next Volt Rush to arc to multiple targets for the next 10 seconds.

Edited by ceryxp

I was wondering why this ability feels off. Let's say we do have the appropriate set that makes the spell viable in rotation, at that point where does it fit in?

I found it worked best in my AOE rotation, but in my single target rotation I mainly used it to trigger an insta-cast TK Wave. For AOE, TK Wave / Chain Lit triggers an AOE TK Blitz / Volt Rush, which triggers an insta-cast TK Wave / Chain Lit, which triggers an AOE TK Blitz / Volt Rush. Then use Force Speed to reset the charges on Blitz / Rush, toss your TK Bursts / Lit Bolts to trigger an insta-cast TK Wave / Chain Lit and start over. To me it just felt more responsive and faster than using Wave / Chain with Quake / Storm since those are a channel. Wave / Chain --> Blitz / Rush flowed very quickly when I played with it on PTS. Of course, that could be very different now since they made a number of changes since I tested it.

Unfortunately, with the set not being on the vendor unless you run the Dxun OP you'll have to rely on RNG to get it from other sources. Not sure how viable it is to use just the tactical without the set since the set boosts Blitz / Rush dmg and gives you a way to reset it, but the tactical alone does give another way to get insta-cast TK Wave / Chain Lit.

the damage is less than lightning bolt even with max stacks for volt rush... so why not cast 3 lightning bolts

taking it off the global cooldown so we can cast it between spells or giving it more damage while keeping it on global cooldown.... it needs to do atleast or more than lightning bolt damage at 1 stack and more than lightning bolt damage at 2 stacks

Edited by adiiiitroll

• 4 weeks later...

I know the discussion started out being about Volt Rush but I'm curious if my theory about alternating Volt Rush with a Chain Lightning 3 times wouldn't be a dps increase.

Elemental Convention Tactical

Tooltip states:

Volt Rush triggers Lightning Storm (instant Chain Lightning) when activated. Chain Lightning gives you Volt Flux, causing your Volt Rush to arc to multiple targets for the next 10 seconds.

Idea being:

Volt Rush (7500 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg) > Volt Rush (9750 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg) > Volt Rush (12,000 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg).

That to me seems like a massive amount of dmg even on a single target over a period of 9 seconds. Volt Rush has no cast time. Volt Rush would trigger an instant cast of Chain Lightning. That leaves just the GCD to contend with timewise.

Now assuming the other tactical option.

Stormwatch Tactical

Tooltip States:

Lightning Flash applies Stormwatch to it’s targets. For the next 10 seconds, whenever the target takes damage from Affliction, Crushing Darkness, or Thundering Blast a lightning bolt is called down upon the target dealing 1800 energy damage.

With cast times for Crushing Darkness and Thunder Blast, you're going to get 3 ticks from the Stormwatch Tactical for Crushing Darkness (5400 dmg). You'll get 2 ticks from the Stormwatch Tactical for Affliction (3600 dmg) assuming you cast Affliction after Crushing Darkness. Lastly you get 1 tick from Stormwatch Tactical for your Thunderblast (1800 dmg). That concludes your 10 second window for Stormwatch Tactical before you have to cycle all over again. I just don't see the damage adding up.

My projected sequence:

Elemental Convention: est. 74,250 dmg

Volt Rush (7500 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg) > Volt Rush (9750 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg) > Volt Rush (12,000 dmg) > Chain Lightning (15,000 dmg).

My projected sequence:

Stormwatch: est. 54,900 dmg

Lightning Flash (15,000 dmg), Crushing Darkness (9000 dmg), Affliction (casted), Crushing Darkness Tick (4000 dmg), Stormwatch (1800 dmg), Thundering Blast (12,500 dmg), Crushing Darkness Tick (4000 dmg), Affliction Tick (1000 dmg), Stormwatch (1800 dmg), Crushing Darkness Tick (4000 dmg), Stormwatch (1800 dmg).

Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps someone better at theorycrafting than me can simulate this. I just find it hard to believe that Stormwatch can match those 6 instant casts you can perform with Elemental Convention even on a single target.

....and moments later

I purchased the Elemental Convention to test it. Seems you cannot alternate Volt Rush and Chain Lightning. Volt Rush procs the instant Chain Lightning but won't proc it again while Chain is on CD from Volt Rush. I guess I was being optimistic that Volt Rush would reset the CD. It does not. Volt Rush will however reset the CD if set by Thundering Blast. So, best scenario with this tactical is to perform....

Thundering Blast > (instant) Chain Lightning > Volt Rush > (instant) Chain Lightning ....then Chain Lightning goes on 5 secs CD.

Personally for me the Elemental Convention is good. My Sorc is an alt anyway. I mostly run FPs with him and every pull is multi-target.

Edited by BradSimm

Love it as a healer. Nothing is better than throwing some dps on a boss and actually getting a few heals at the exact same time. Not to mention the heals are not to shabby.

It´s ok when you run easy flashpoints with only range dds. Otherwise it´s a waste of resources.

I used it for some flashpoints but now I use another tactical. It´s not reliable.

• 4 weeks later...