Is slicing intentionally " skewed" by bioware towards Investigation?

tortcat

On the types of return gathering missions that I get, I seem to be averaging far more investigation then all of the other missions types combined. And far fewer slicing and underworld trading gathering missions then any other ype also.

Now I know that this is not an accurate representation but I kept track of the past 100 slicing missions ( these were only the rich missions in the 48 range for this) where I garnered an actual mission in return and this is what I got:

Investigation 46 missions

Treasure Hunting 18 Missions

Diplomacy 17 missions

Scavanging 11 missions

Underworld trading 5 missions

Slicing 3 missions

All companions are maxed etc. Again this is more anecdotal but to me these does seem skewed and it mroe or less goes alogn with what Ive been seeing...I think the chanes for missions recoveries is skewed on the backend by bioware or so it seems...maybe it's just me. it just really looks likes underworld and slicing have a far lower percentage chance of popping but again this could just eb me.

Anyone else seeing similar results?

U know I didn't even realize until I looked but out of 100 returns...not a single bio mission came back. Which IS very very odd. Normally I had been getting the odd bio etc and just the ever numerous Investigations. Hmmm I know RNG is involved and anything can happan but I was not looking out for those and that is very striking also as this was done exclusively on the rich missions in the 48 range and I know I have gotten bio ones...just not inthe past 100 that returned a mission.

I am going to have to play with this some more and try and see if similar breakdowns happan on missions other then the rich 48 ones.

Very interesting. I am only doing the moderate missions. I wonder if the different tiers are skewed toward different types of missions. I don't have much playtime until next week, but once I am able to play again, I'm definitely going to do some testing and see what happens when running the different difficulties.

On further reflection, there's another possible variable: companions.

There might be a higher chance to get particular types of missions based on the companion you send out. I'm going to start tracking mission difficulty, mission title, and companion sent.

For Rich grade 5s then yes, far more Investigation missions drop than any other type and I'd anticdotaly put the order in something like - Investigation, UWT, Treasure Hunting, Diplomacy, Slicing, Archeology, Bioanalysis.

This seems too obvious to be an ignored bug.

For lower grade missions then I get a more even spread.

i'll throw my 2 cents in, from what i've noticed(i dont keep track) the Moderate mission seem to bring you back more crits, and rare schematics. As example on my slicer i run the mission 'Extinguish The Sun" a Moderate mission and 50% of the time mako returns with Advanced Neural Augmenters, or i can run the rich or bountiful missions for a week straight and be lucky if i get 2 back all week. I was ************ about it one day and a Guildie that has made 500+ million on the GTN pointed it out to me. He says "Try the mission "Extinguish the Sun" it works really well for me" so i did and the first 3/4 times mako came back with 2 augmenters twice and 3 the third time, also came back with augment patterns as well.

i'll throw my 2 cents in, from what i've noticed(i dont keep track) the Moderate mission seem to bring you back more crits, and rare schematics. As example on my slicer i run the mission 'Extinguish The Sun" a Moderate mission and 50% of the time mako returns with Advanced Neural Augmenters, or i can run the rich or bountiful missions for a week straight and be lucky if i get 2 back all week. I was ************ about it one day and a Guildie that has made 500+ million on the GTN pointed it out to me. He says "Try the mission "Extinguish the Sun" it works really well for me" so i did and the first 3/4 times mako came back with 2 augmenters twice and 3 the third time, also came back with augment patterns as well.

Yeah, I never run anything but moderate missions for just this reason. I've found it's not been worthwhile to run anything but moderate missions since The Great Slicing Nerf ages ago. Every few patches I try running higher tiered ones, and the result is always the same - it's just not worth it.

Slicing is probably skewed, but over the last two weeks I've come back with Dip missions out the wazoo and very few Inv. I've also seen a nice amount of UT missions with a sprinkle of TH and Bio and almost no Scav and Arch.

RNG is rng and that is about it.

There is another "casual" measure of any bias: the number of mission discoveries available on the GTN.

In my experience, it's usually flooded with Investigation, with maybe Bioanalysis and Diplomacy next. UWT rare, TH even more so, Slicing non-existent. I know someone could make the argument of UWT/TH being more in demand, but that proves my point in part. The lack of them on the GTN can be both a measure of them being rare drops and how quickly they get purchased ... which makes them doubly rare on the GTN and drives the price up on them relative to Investigation. The "demand" counterargument is particularly viable for UWT, since 3 crafting skills require it, but TH? As one of the rarest mission discoveries in my experience on the GTN and given that only 1 crafting skill requires it, things would seem to fall more heavily on the "rare drop" side of the issue than the "lots of people need them" side.

The situation with skill 340 Investigation missions is just a joke. My Armstech character probably has 6 full stacks of Dallorian Alloy and 3 of Ultrachrome and another 30 or so skill 340 mission discoveries in my cargo hold. Who wants to buy level 49-50 weapons when you're going to get better ones for free in your Recruit Gear? When it comes to any "need" to purchase skill 340 Investigation missions, it ranks right up there with the Custom [insert weapon type] Schematics, the Elegant Weapons Schematics, and the Augment 22 Schematics ... Vendor Trash.