Confused About the Emperor Storyline(s) (Plot Spoilers, Obviously)

Sinhammer

So the JK "kills" him, we magically release him at the end of SoR, he goes on a rampage and eats Ziost, etc.--how in all that time-frame was he also Emperor Valkorian? He's been the Emperor of Zakuul for a few centuries, right? Or am I wrong on that one?

Is he able to multi-possess (like on Ziost) across galactic distances? In other words--that was only part of him that we fought with all this time and another "part" was living the high life on Zakuul? Did he take trips?

So the JK "kills" him, we magically release him at the end of SoR, he goes on a rampage and eats Ziost, etc.--how in all that time-frame was he also Emperor Valkorian? He's been the Emperor of Zakuul for a few centuries, right? Or am I wrong on that one?

Is he able to multi-possess (like on Ziost) across galactic distances? In other words--that was only part of him that we fought with all this time and another "part" was living the high life on Zakuul? Did he take trips?

In a post some months ago, Charles tries to explain this away, but in my opinion, his explanation is weak and reads more like a bad fan thought out afterthought instead of "this is what we always had envisioned". He also says that in stories, not all gaps are filled or something along those lines.

Perhaps someone else will be so kind as to provide a link or quotation of what Charles said on the subject.

Again, in my opinion, the explanation of Vitiate also being Valkorian is weak, about as weak as the "official" Zelda timeline. Oh, yes! I just opened that can of worms :p

about as weak as the "official" Zelda timeline. Oh, yes! I just opened that can of worms :p

I'll just leave you with this. I said it in a different context, but it's applicable here...

It's a can of worms, with the added twist that in addition to containing worms, the can is made of worms.

And the worms are venomous.

And fire-breathing.

With claws.

And fangs.

And wings.

In short, they aren't worms. They are wyrms.

I'll just leave you with this. I said it in a different context, but it's applicable here...

It's a can of worms, with the added twist that in addition to containing worms, the can is made of worms.

And the worms are venomous.

And fire-breathing.

With claws.

And fangs.

And wings.

In short, they aren't worms. They are wyrms.

If these forums had a "like" button, I would hit that like button!

Well done! :D

For the original poster (OP) and other curious souls, please see this post from Charles Boyde where he addresses the whole Vitiate is Valkorian subject.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9347029#post9347029

In my opinion, Charles' explanation did manage to connect the dots and finally reveal the entirely of the life of Valkorion. Though while I do appreciate that post tremendously, I will admit that the overall chronology does feel a bit weak at points since a lot of the correlations were not confirmed in the actual game, and we needed this "behind the scenes" type of thing to fully understand everything. This was likely another result of the enormous shortening of the Valkorion/Zakuul expansion storyline, as there were naturally a lot of things they needed to include and some of the Valkorion details didn't make the cut.

Edited by Kataret

I read the entire post, and thanks for linking to it. I'm not entirely satisfied his explanation works, but it is what it is. It still feels like the chronology of his life is a bit wonky. I suppose I should just learn to go with the flow.

I don't think you should "just learn to go with the flow". I personally believe in calling a spade a spade, as the saying goes.

However, let me provide some perspective.

There is a lot to like about this game even story wise. Keeping up with the Valkorians....err I mean KOTFE and KOTET, the way I see it, were well intentioned but misguided and failed attempts at a new story. I find a lot of the story weak, but it does shine in some places. I don't hate the game because of the misteps of KOTFE and KOTET. I just accept that those were mistakes and play due to other parts of the game that are good. And, we are seemingly going away from everything Zakuul. I think before long (in the context of the story, not real life time), even the alliance will be gone or something like that.

I love the original stuff, I was okay with RotHC, and enjoyed SoR. KotFE/KotET for me just don't work story-wise. I freely admit I'm on my first toon working through the stuff, but I don't see Valkorian treating classes like BH, Trooper and Agent the same way as he does the JK, Warrior etc. I know those other classes accomplish big things in the game, but the idea that he has the same conversations with them about having watched them, they alone being worth his interest or whatever, just doesn't smack of reality to me. Or the conversations with Marr and Satele. The story fits with the JK or the whole "Wrath" thing, but I just don't buy it with ALL classes. For me the "one size fits all" approach in that regard is extremely weak.

Overall, I was happy with Charles' explanation, I think he did a nice job, but with one exception: the bit about the Emperor still being conscious as Valkroian (albeit weakened) even when he was trapped by Sel-Makor and when he was presumed dead between his fight with the Jedi Knight and his 'resurrection' on Yavin IV. What I really don't like about that retcon is that - in addition to really undermining the narrative of the JK and SW class stories and SoR - it is completely unnecessary.

Darth Marr makes a point of mentioning that Vitiate often fell into "long silences" where he was mysteriously absent from Sith affairs - because, it turns out, he was focused on being Valkorian. I don't think there was anything in KotFE that made it seem like the reverse couldn't also be true - that Valkorian would sometimes sequester himself from the affairs of the Eternal Empire, and even his family, for stretches of time when (unbeknownst to Zakuul) the Emperor shifted his consciousness to back to his Vitiate persona.

If such "silences" were also part of Valkorian's rule, even if they were significantly shorter and less frequent than with Vitiate, then the three years or so when Vitiate was "dead" wouldn't be an issue at all. Heck, they could have worked it into the narrative by mentioning that he ordered the attacks seen in the "Sacrifice" trailer seemingly out of nowhere immediately after returning from a longer-than-normal absence.

Edited by DarthDymond

I love the original stuff, I was okay with RotHC, and enjoyed SoR. KotFE/KotET for me just don't work story-wise. I freely admit I'm on my first toon working through the stuff, but I don't see Valkorian treating classes like BH, Trooper and Agent the same way as he does the JK, Warrior etc. I know those other classes accomplish big things in the game, but the idea that he has the same conversations with them about having watched them, they alone being worth his interest or whatever, just doesn't smack of reality to me. Or the conversations with Marr and Satele. The story fits with the JK or the whole "Wrath" thing, but I just don't buy it with ALL classes. For me the "one size fits all" approach in that regard is extremely weak.

I couldn't agree more. Although I could see the trooper ruling though. Some countries are run by military regimes, although that usually is not a good thing. My friend who plays a smuggler was laughing through the chapters at the thought that his guy would be a good ruler for the eternal alliance. It was especially odd with the Marr/Satele chapter as it just didn't make sense for non force users.

I find it interesting though that Valkorian gives us information on the future of our alliance. As if it cannot survive without him leading it. A few times he mentions in Chapter 9 of KOTET and

what I found intriguing was in the elevator on the way to the throne, if you have Lana and Theron with you (in other words you killed Senya and Arcann earlier), Valkorian flat out tells you that they will betray you to seize the throne for their respective factions. Additionally, he mentions in your final fight with him that your alliance will fall.

Now I originally thought Valkorian was just saying this because he wants to continue to manipulate and control my character's actions. He certainly wouldn't mind if she got rid of these two because of the influence they have and strength they bring to the alliance. However, with all that has happened since (iokath, Umbarra, Uprisings) that maybe there was more truth to his words than mere manipulative tactics.

Edited by Swingkittie

Darth Marr makes a point of mentioning that Vitiate often fell into "long silences" where he was mysteriously absent from Sith affairs - because, it turns out, he was focused on being Valkorian. I don't think there was anything in KotFE that made it seem like the reverse couldn't also be true - that Valkorian would sometimes sequester himself from the affairs of the Eternal Empire, and even his family, for stretches of time when (unbeknownst to Zakuul) the Emperor shifted his consciousness to back to his Vitiate persona.

I don't have a citeable quote, unfortunately, but go back and play the opening of the Lady of Sorrows chapter (VII?) as you arrive on Zakuul and listen to what Senya says as the two of you walk through the tunnels to meet T7.

Her words can be very much interpreted as implying something similar in the "Vitiate distracting Valkorian" direction.

I

Now I originally thought Valkorian was just saying this because he wants to continue to manipulate and control my character's actions. He certainly wouldn't mind if she got rid of these two because of the influence they have and strength they bring to the alliance. However, with all that has happened since (iokath, Umbarra, Uprisings) that maybe there was more truth to his words than mere manipulative tactics.

Valkorion has a long history of lying and telling half-truths to serve his purposes and undercut the player's confidence, though. Like when he tells the player that a companion will die, or that Arcann can't be defeated, if the player doesn't use his power.

Truthfully, in any situation where there was a choice between allying with the Empire or Republic, it's unlikely that Lana and Theron would have supported the other faction. They would do just what the did: tell the player to support their side. IMHO it's likely that Valkorion either knew something about the order, anticipated that both sides were mobilizing, or had already done something to put the entire Iokath/Umbara story arc in order, and was able to say, "Yep, they'll betray you for their factions" to seed some doubt in the player's mind.

Considering that the Empire and Republic both appear to be moving within hours of the Commander's victory - and Lana's comment that she senses dark forces already assembling against the Alliance - IMHO Valkorion or Vaylin did something to put "the order" in motion.

The emperor storyline has been retconned with 3.0.

It also doesn't make sense how the emperor can just control all the people on Ziost when the sith warrior explicitely states that the emperor can only have one voice.

But it's not a surprise, the sith warrior storyline has in general been ignored in the story since Forged Alliances.