What is the studio plans for adjusting Bolster in 5.10??

Andryah

Expertise had just one purpose: scale down raid gear to PVP power level, and it failed badly at that. The disadvantage of someone in endgame PVE gear was so big, that even a new max level char in leveling gear had a huge advantage over them, and "hardcore" PVPers usually just pointed out the expertise rating and /spit on the PVEer before leaving the group.

Also, it wasn't just 2 sets of gear, it was 2 sets per role, so if you wanted the flexibility to switch between dps and tank/heal for pvp and pve, you had to maintain and juggle around 4 sets of gear.

And remembering to switch them out before entering battle because there was no cargo bay inside a warzone was a pain in the arse. My inventory is max size, and I still run out of room carrying around crafting supplies (I send my companions out frequently to do things), stims, medpacs, warzone stuff, various drops, etc. The last thing I need is yet another entire set of gear to grind and clog up my bags.

I also don't want to grind gear TWICE. Once per set is more than enough, thank you.

I was thrilled when Expertise got removed. Besides the gear juggling which I despised, Expertise gear put me at a disadvantage against the roflstompers. I do a fair amount of Vet Ops and MM FPs. I know and play my preferred role pretty well. When the Expertise system was in place, I didn't play PvP often enough to have decent PvP gear, and that put me at a huge disadvantage vs top-geared players. Enough that I got stomped not because I'm good at spiking down healers and thus hated on the field, but because my Expertise was low enough that I was easy to kill and thus good for the other team's kill count. It became a vicious cycle--get killed a lot so I couldn't get the commendations needed to advance my gear. That quickly made PvP very unfun.

Being able to use my PvE gear in PvP made PvP a lot more accessible to me as a casual PvPer. I don't want to be at a huge advantage over PvPers based on gear. I enjoy the challenge of beating someone (and even losing) based on skill and team communication, not gear.

Expertise also meant I couldn't transfer gear from Pub to Imp mirror toons and back, although I suppose that could be fixed by making PvP gear also legacy bound.

If the problem is getting gear in PvP as fast as in PvE, then change the drop rate of unassembleds and tokens from PvP activities to bring parity to the system so that players can gear up with roughly the same amount of time put into the different activities. Finishing the weekly, for instance, could drop more unassembleds/tokens/command xp than it does now to adjust for the current disparity.

The biggest issue I'd see speeding up the gearing time in PvP is win-trading guilds throwing a lot more matches so that half their guild could win and thus gear more quickly and/or the cheaters cheating more--and that is a substantial problem that is not being taken care of well enough. That might have to be addressed with some penalties for using exploits or those stealthing and hiding out in corners an entire match, like taking away commendations or putting <minimum> point players on a cooldown before they can enter another PvP match (just throwing these out for ideas, but you get the picture--win-trading/cheating should be heavily penalized since reporting win-traders and cheaters isn't doing jack to solve the problem right now).

Or scale up the rewards based in part on total points of BOTH teams--the winning team still wins more, but teams get more when every player on both sides play hard vs. 8 players on one side just standing around while the other side kills them repeatedly. I can't remember if this is already being done, and if it is, incentivize it more. Rewarding positive behavior can work as well as penalizing the bad.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but because my Expertise was low enough that I was easy to kill and thus good for the other team's kill count. It became a vicious cycle--get killed a lot so I couldn't get the commendations needed to advance my gear. That quickly made PvP very unfun.

I remember something similar.

PvP players always go after the weakest, and leave the strongest alone.

"Domination".

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

I also don't want to grind gear TWICE. Once per set is more than enough, thank you.

And I don't want to be forced to pve to be viable in pvp. This argument goes both ways. I don't care how casual you are, its time ya'll accept the fact that pvp is a different format and requires a different gear grind. The current system has 100% KILLED lowbie pvp and max level pvp is BARELY alive. The minute pvp gear was removed pvpers left in droves.

We don't care about players like you who pvps once in a blue moon. We care about us, who pvp every day. Boo hoo, you have to swap gear around. I did it too with the small amount of PvE I did. Hardly a big deal.

Edited by Raansu