this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

lord-durpp

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a story that will save the Extended Universe!

The premise:

So, 30 years after Episode 6, the sun of Nabo is about to go supernova and the Jedi Council promises to save the planet. They dispatch Grand Master Skywalker in a scientific vessel to inject red matter into the centre of the Sun but he is too late. A Gungan mining vessel piloted by Jar-Jar Binks witnesses the entire thing. Swearing revenge on Skywalker, Jar-Jar Binks follows the science vessel into a black hole that transports them both back in time to 20 years prior to Episode 1. Jar-Jar Binks, with complete knowledge of events to come and a technologically superior space ship, hatches an evil plan to destroy the Jedi Order and Republic, one planet at a time.

I envision quite a moving scene where Jar Jar bursts in on Darth Sidious and kills him with his "lightnunchucks". He then proclaims himself a Dark Lord of the Sith.

This is gold.

- Arcada

I have a story that will save the Extended Universe!

The premise:

So, 30 years after Episode 6, the sun of Nabo is about to go supernova and the Jedi Council promises to save the planet. They dispatch Grand Master Skywalker in a scientific vessel to inject red matter into the centre of the Sun but he is too late. A Gungan mining vessel piloted by Jar-Jar Binks witnesses the entire thing. Swearing revenge on Skywalker, Jar-Jar Binks follows the science vessel into a black hole that transports them both back in time to 20 years prior to Episode 1. Jar-Jar Binks, with complete knowledge of events to come and a technologically superior space ship, hatches an evil plan to destroy the Jedi Order and Republic, one planet at a time.

I envision quite a moving scene where Jar Jar bursts in on Darth Sidious and kills him with his "lightnunchucks". He then proclaims himself a Dark Lord of the Sith.

This is gold.

- Arcada

hmmmm. that sounds familiar! lol That's Star Trek isn't it?

hey now the EU fanboys who like the EU more then the movies care... but yeah seeing as they are less then 1% of the total star wars fanbase it doesn't matter.

Of course even then they will just complain on forums and then still see the movies and buy all the books anyway. Just like they did with the prequels.

Exactly, for these guys to complain - they have to see the films first. The common movie-goer only sees a film at the cinema once, and maybe buy it on DVD. This is what Disney is expecting, so they won't be phased. These guys literally can't go wrong, even if its absolute rubbish, it will still make billions. In short, these guys aren't to worried about the EU.

EDIT: And hey, guess what fanboys! George Lucas is the only one who can save your precious post-ROTJ EU! You know, that guy your always hating on and who doesn't like you! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. :D

Edited by Beniboybling

There are quite a lot more Expanded Universe fans than you think, bud.

I'm afraid there aren't.

I'll give you my post to this reply, someone arguing a similar point to you (although on a ridiculously blown up scale)

Or let's say Disney throws it out and makes it's own EU like some claim they already have. So now you may as well burn all those books, [thousands of pages of written lore] since they would never happen. Wookieepedia, yep may as well burn the servers it's on as all of it's non-movie information (90% of it) is irrelevant now. And now people are mad at the death of the EU and that will cut into Di$ney'$ profit$ when nobody buys those books that are still in print.

See what i'm getting at?

My (rather aggravated) reply.

I have no idea, you seem to be implying that the post-ROTJ era makes up the largest majority of the Star Wars universe which is quite far-fetched and simply untrue. Or are you saying that 13,000,000,000 years of events in the Star Wars universe makes up 10% of Star Wars? Whereas 138 years represents 90%? Whatsmore, the new trilogy would probably only cover 4 years, max. So wiping out the entirety of post-ROTJ is impossible. Finally, less than 1% of Star Wars fans and general moviegoers love or like this era, so seeing it damaged would not affect them or annoy them in the slightest And about 0.8% of those can be placated through Disney erasing the rubbish stuff (e.g. Yuzavuza whatever and Palpatine getting cloned) and taking elements of EU such as Thrawn and Mara Jade and implementing them into the film. Hence only 0.2% (probably very vocal) star wars fans will be annoyed by this move and less than 10% of the post-ROTJ era will be affected.

And this was my reply to someone who dared question my facts :D

Ok, so I probably fabricated that figure a bit. However its not completely untrue. I remember someone posted some how much money the franchise makes out of anything - managed to find it

As you can see book sales (which I believe includes comics, basically represents the EU) make up only 7% of revenue. While movie sales (including DVD's) makes up 30%. Seeing as the post-ROTJ EU only makes up a tiny fraction of that 7% we can assume that around 1% or less, probably less, love or like them.

So in a nut shell: no one cares :p

EDIT:

is that why the Expanded universe books only sell in the 100,000s? There aren't as many EU fans as you think bud.

also as we have seen with the Prequels the EU fans will rage for a day then keep buying the books.

Hell there are more people who watch the Clone Wars series then have ever read a EU book.

This^^

Edited by Beniboybling

There are quite a lot more Expanded Universe fans than you think, bud.

is that why the Expanded universe books only sell in the 100,000s? There aren't as many EU fans as you think bud.

also as we have seen with the Prequels the EU fans will rage for a day then keep buying the books.

Hell there are more people who watch the Clone Wars series then have ever read a EU book.

I just want them to retcon everything except the 6 movies. There should be no reason that Disney doesn't go their own direction with movies, comics, t.v. shows or anything else. Im sorry but im old and anything star wars past RoTJ has sucked. Jedi Knight 2 was playable but seriously we need a retcon on anything past EP.6

That is so selfish of you!

Plenty of fans are DIE HARD fans of the corrent EU and i would be furious and I mean FURIOUS! If disney start making all the EU uncanon, I mean hell even the game we are playing now is part of the EU, and it has small parts of a ton of other stories in it. The star wars univers is a united entity and not just the movies! Hell I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy more than some of the movies, and the same goes for Legacy of the Force.

Edited by Inzuher

That is so selfish of you!

Plenty of fans are DIE HARD fans of the corrent EU and i would be furious and I mean FURIOUS! If disney start making all the EU uncanon, I mean hell even the game we are playing now is part of the EU, and it has small parts of a ton of other stories in it. The star wars univers is a united entity and not just the movies! Hell I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy more than some of the movies, and the same goes for Legacy of the Force.

it's really not as many as you think. Like less then 1% of them are diehard EU fans and we all know after the Prequels they were still huge fans.

They could, but I'm almost certain they won't. My guess the entire EU and every character in it is about to become non-canon.

More likely there are just two diverging branches from the tree that is the two trilogies. One is the EU. Another is the "movie universe".

it's really not as many as you think. Like less then 1% of them are diehard EU fans and we all know after the Prequels they were still huge fans.

I would really like to see where those numbers come from because so far I have no reason to believe them. If the EU didn't sell they wouldn't produce stuff to it.

eitherway, my main concern is that since a lot of the events and characters is tied together in the EU. Change one wrong thing and you might effect several storylines. for instance lets say they make the Vong wars uncanon. Well alright they were rather boring anyways. however that would effect the character development of Jacen Solo meaning no Darth Caedus = the 8 Legacy of the Force books are uncanon, ups!

The same thing would happen if they should decide to kill some key character, lets for instance say they kill of Mara Jade before she originally die at the hands of Jacen. Well, first of all Ben Skywalker might not be burn, secondly Jacen would have to sacrifice someone else to become Darth Caedus = story is uncanon.

Then if that happened the Fate of the Jedi novels would also be uncanon since they are affected by the effects in Legacy of the Force etc.

As I said one stupide move might destroy a great many storyline and THEREFORE Disney need to be careful.

However, if they manage to do that there might come much good out of them buying Lucasfilms.

I would really like to see where those numbers come from because so far I have no reason to believe them. If the EU didn't sell they wouldn't produce stuff to it.

Looks like I'm going to have to repeat myself here.

Ok, so I probably fabricated that figure a bit. However its not completely untrue. I remember someone posted some how much money the franchise makes out of anything - managed to find it

As you can see book sales (which I believe includes comics, basically represents the EU) make up only 7% of revenue. While movie sales (including DVD's) makes up 30%. Seeing as the post-ROTJ EU only makes up a tiny fraction of that 7% we can assume that around 1% or less, probably less, love or like them.

Also, please read my above post for a counter argument. The gist of the argument is, (you guessed it lol): no one cares

Edited by Beniboybling

eitherway, my main concern is that since a lot of the events and characters is tied together in the EU. Change one wrong thing and you might effect several storylines. for instance lets say they make the Vong wars uncanon. Well alright they were rather boring anyways. however that would effect the character development of Jacen Solo meaning no Darth Caedus = the 8 Legacy of the Force books are uncanon, ups!

The same thing would happen if they should decide to kill some key character, lets for instance say they kill of Mara Jade before she originally die at the hands of Jacen. Well, first of all Ben Skywalker might not be burn, secondly Jacen would have to sacrifice someone else to become Darth Caedus = story is uncanon.

Then if that happened the Fate of the Jedi novels would also be uncanon since they are affected by the effects in Legacy of the Force etc.

As I said one stupide move might destroy a great many storyline and THEREFORE Disney need to be careful.

However, if they manage to do that there might come much good out of them buying Lucasfilms.

Dude, you agree with him and he wants to start an argument with you. Now you know what I had to put up with until I put him on Ignore.

Seriously, the post-RotJ ExU Novels, comics, and games make LucasArts about 20 - 50 mill per year. Post-RotJ accounts for around 5 - 20 mill. They wouldn't jeopardize that kind of revenue by declaring all of it N-Canon. There is a reason why declaring EVERYTHING in an entire storyline that takes place over several novels or comics as N-Canon is a last resort. When such a thing occurs, all prints of those novels and comics that aren't already in circulation are pulled from shelves in a recall. Leland Chee takes everything about the retcon into account before he makes that decision, and tries to find ways to declare some elements S-Canon before anything gets pulled. Novels and Comics supplemented the income of George and his family. Now they'll supplement Disney's bottom line. The recalls MIGHT have laxed since I saw it last, but as of 2009, that was how the procedure went. I watched my local comic book shop owner pull dozens of issues off the wall and box them up to send back to the warehouse, thanks to an email they got from Dark Horse, which LL had sent to them. When I asked him about it, he said they'd been recalled because it wasn't in Star Wars anymore. That was before I learned more about Canon and how seriously LucasArts takes it. At the time, I didn't think much of it because it didn't affect the Knights of the Old Republic series I was collecting.

Edited by Captain_Zone

Dude, you agree with him and he wants to start an argument with you. Now you know what I had to put up with until I put him on Ignore.

Seriously, the post-RotJ ExU Novels, comics, and games make LucasArts about 20 - 50 mill per year. Post-RotJ accounts for around 5 - 20 mill. They wouldn't jeopardize that kind of revenue by declaring all of it N-Canon. There is a reason why declaring EVERYTHING in an entire storyline that takes place over several novels or comics as N-Canon is a last resort. When such a thing occurs, all prints of those novels and comics that aren't already in circulation are pulled from shelves in a recall. Leland Chee takes everything about the retcon into account before he makes that decision, and tries to find ways to declare some elements S-Canon before anything gets pulled. Novels and Comics supplemented the income of George and his family. Now they'll supplement Disney's bottom line. The recalls MIGHT have laxed since I saw it last, but as of 2009, that was how the procedure went. I watched my local comic book shop owner pull dozens of issues off the wall and box them up to send back to the warehouse, thanks to an email they got from Dark Horse, which LL had sent to them. When I asked him about it, he said they'd been recalled because it wasn't in Star Wars anymore. That was before I learned more about Canon and how seriously LucasArts takes it. At the time, I didn't think much of it because it didn't affect the Knights of the Old Republic series I was collecting.

For the record, that stat he used was mine. So I prefer if you address my arguments rather than overlook them. Admittedly I didn't post the link to my source (it didn't copy across) so here it is

As you can see, you are correct. It does make around 20-50 million a year. But in comparison to the rest of the revenue, it is minuscule. Only 7%. And as I have already said, post-ROTJ is a fraction of that, and as a I have already said the effect the films would have (as I have already said, 4 years max) would be a fraction of that. So all in all, Disney have very little to lose (probably less than 1% of there revenue) and with have no qualms about labelling stuff non-canon. So, for the third (possible fourth, and hopefully final) time: no one cares

EDIT: lets prove JarJarloves wrong, who seems to think you don't listen.

Edited by Beniboybling

I personally haven't really read any SW Books. I'm more aware of the Extended Universe than having "experienced it".

With the exception of some of the LucasArts games...

- Arcada

And you represent a large majority of the Star Wars fanbase. I haven't much either, only a little OT, but no post-ROTJ. And I consider myself a bit of a star wars fanatic. :D

100k copies for a book that is pretty good espeically when you consider how cheap they are to make. There is a reason why who is it Del Ray is the publisher of all the star wars books. Because they sell a consisten amount (around 100k copies per book) and they use it to give new writers or good sci fi writers that want to widen their audience a way to do that.

Here are some actual break downs of the book sales

http://clubjade.net/?p=12874

In Adult Hardcovers:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Sean Williams, 103,232

Star Wars: The Clone Wars by Karen Traviss, 101,146

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Invincible, Troy Denning, 101,034

And in New Children’s paperback:

Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Tracey West, 190,700

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Battle at Teth, Kirsten Mayer, 186,282

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The New Padawan, Eric Stevens, 152,661

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Intergalactic Adventure: Activity Book, no author listed, 119,621

Star Wars Fandex, Christopher Cerasi, 103,191

See the consistently sell in the 100k range. Of course it's not anywhere near as much as toys, movies or games but it's a respectable amount.

For the record, that stat he used was mine. So I prefer if you address my arguments rather than overlook them. Admittedly I didn't post the link to my source (it didn't copy across) so here it is

As you can see, you are correct. It does make around 20-50 million a year. But in comparison to the rest of the revenue, it is minuscule. Only 7%. And as I have already said, post-ROTJ is a fraction of that, and as a I have already said the effect the films would have (as I have already said, 4 years max) would be a fraction of that. So all in all, Disney have very little to lose (probably less than 1% of there revenue) and with have no qualms about labelling stuff non-canon. So, for the third (possible fourth, and hopefully final) time: no one cares

EDIT: lets prove JarJarloves wrong, who seems to think you don't listen.

Ok, so you're saying that they're going to throw that money away. As to your "no one cares" argument, that 20 - 50 mill proves otherwise. People do care. If you write them off, then that's your choice. Just don't presume that LucasArts and Disney will do the same. All I proposed was a way to keep all the fans satisfied, if not happy. You and Jarjar were the ones who decided to make a huge deal out of it and show your contempt for the minority of the fans. Would 3 full universes be THAT much of an affront to you? Sheesh. Like I said before, we'll just have to wait and see how Leland Chee fits the new stuff in with the old, or if he decides to do something different. I put forth an idea. My point was that if they used your idea, it would piss off fans, even if in the minority, and they would lose millions in revenue. I get that you don't care for post-RotJ. That doesn't mean "no one does".

If this had happened back in the Eisner days, I would say that you would most probably be 100% correct. These, however, are not the Eisner days. lol

Look... I'm a diehard EU fan, but dude, there was a lot more than the YuZhonVong story that shaped Jacen into Darth Caedus. In fact MOST of whatever minor development that came out of the New Jedi Order stories were superfluous at best. They could completely cut out the entire New Jedi Order arc, make minor changes to the timeline, and still have Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi play out EXACTLY as it does. Clone Wars wasn't above stretching and retconning the wars from 3 years to 6, and editing several events like the Defense of Kamino and Mon Calamari. Why should this be different?

Note also, what has been released to the press was a VERY brief description of George's notes, which set Luke in his 40s training the new generation of Jedi with its own story. So that DOES decapitate the Vong storyline altogether. So keep your thong on for 5 seconds and think: NEW JEDI ORDER SUCKS. CHANGING IT DOES NOTHING TO THE EU.

And before anyone goes off on the "EU SUCKS" bandwagon, the Thrawn Trilogy and Duology sequel, the Dark Empire Trilogy, the Jedi Academy Trilogy, the Jedi Knight Trilogy video games, all set in post-ROTJ, are critically acclaimed and are all equally AWESOME. It goes downhill in the New Jedi Order, which makes Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi suffer like Episode 3 had to suffer with the stigma of Episode 1 and 2 when it as a standalone was a good movie.

And once more: DISNEY MIGHT OWN STAR WARS BUT IT IS NOT IN THE DRIVER'S SEAT! That still belongs to Lucasfilm in the same way Marvel drives their own ship. And nearly everyone at Lucasfilm loves the EU and always has to remind George of it and make a compromise.

So out of it: No NJO (yay), tons of EU characters like the Solo children, Mara Jade Skywalker, Kyle Katarn, and possibly Ben Skywalker (who knows). So on BOTH sides, give it a rest. The EU is going to permeate the movies whether you like it or not, but I think the filmmakers will have already thought of where to drop the retcon bomb in the place where it would futz the timeline the least.

So let's wait and see, ok?

Ok, so you're saying that they're going to throw that money away. As to your "no one cares" argument, that 20 - 50 mill proves otherwise. People do care. If you write them off, then that's your choice. Just don't presume that LucasArts and Disney will do the same. All I proposed was a way to keep all the fans satisfied, if not happy. You and Jarjar were the ones who decided to make a huge deal out of it and show your contempt for the minority of the fans. Would 3 full universes be THAT much of an affront to you? Sheesh. Like I said before, we'll just have to wait and see how Leland Chee fits the new stuff in with the old, or if he decides to do something different. I put forth an idea. My point was that if they used your idea, it would piss off fans, even if in the minority, and they would lose millions in revenue. I get that you don't care for post-RotJ. That doesn't mean "no one does".

If this had happened back in the Eisner days, I would say that you would most probably be 100% correct. These, however, are not the Eisner days. lol

Your right, it is a lot of money, even if it is a small percentage it is a lot of money. And disney does want to keep all its fans happy. But I think its easily work aroundably because they are such a small amount. They can easily placate them as as long as they avoid making the important stuff non-canon (e.g. Timothy Zahn) they can make it work. It is by no means an easy task though.

Your right, it is a lot of money, even if it is a small percentage it is a lot of money. And disney does want to keep all its fans happy. But I think its easily work aroundably because they are such a small amount. They can easily placate them as as long as they avoid making the important stuff non-canon (e.g. Timothy Zahn) they can make it work. It is by no means an easy task though.

except we know for a fact those fans will STILL buy new books and storys made in the POST ROTJ EU. We know this for a fact. Just like when the Prequels came out those same fans raged but STILL ended up buying all the merchendise. It never hurt the sales at all.

We also see this with comics as well. Do you know how many times the DC and Marvel universes has been reset? Every time there is some initial rebelion and then people accept it and buy them at the same rate. Some times they buy more some times they buy less but it always seems to even out in the end.

I think they'll pick and choose what parts of EU remain canon, certainly throw in a few small references here and there to fill in some backstory. It wouldn't have to be anything of Alderaan-shattering importance to the plot - for example, Timothy Zahn named Coruscant. Most likely, a lot of things will just be left up in the air. Easier to just never mention the Yuuzhan Vong than to randomly work in a line about gosh what a good thing we blew those guys all up before they got to be a big problem, right?

Or maybe I'm just hoping Disney will go with retcons of omission rather than straight up DC Comics New 52 superdickery. Last thing I need is to find out my bounty hunter's entire species never existed...

except we know for a fact those fans will STILL buy new books and storys made in the POST ROTJ EU. We know this for a fact. Just like when the Prequels came out those same fans raged but STILL ended up buying all the merchendise. It never hurt the sales at all.

We also see this with comics as well. Do you know how many times the DC and Marvel universes has been reset? Every time there is some initial rebelion and then people accept it and buy them at the same rate. Some times they buy more some times they buy less but it always seems to even out in the end.

Yes but as Captain_Zone pointed out, and I didn't realise this, if stuff is labeled N-Canon it would be taken of the shelves and those sales would be lost regardless of the demand

Just want to address some of the points you made here that I didn't before because it was rushed. FIrstly I have no contempt for the minority EU fans at all, and my blatant 'no one cares' point was made because people weren't taking the time to read the full argument so I put in a simpler form. Of course its a hyperbole, and not true, its just a summary of what I was saying. That these EU fans are the minority, I have no contempt for them, I simply realise Disney has little care for them, they wan't to appease the main fan base, not dance around the EU.

As for you alternative, I have to say I don't like it at all, I really don't. Alternative universes would simply render the star wars story null and void, because in a sense its not the true story, just a version I like. I see it as a slippery slope, once Disney does it, who else will follow? The canon system will become more and more obsolete, the amount of alternate universes will escalate, and if they don't, the current ones will grow, until their are entirely different versions of the star wars story, when their should only be one. Alternate universes should be what they are now, I bit of fun. This would lead to a Marvel-scale predicament, with rubbish about alternate universes inside alternate universes. In an extreme way, it would be the death of the Star Wars I fell in love with, I'm willing to sacrifice some EU to maintain what we already have.

Disney, and George Lucas, would probably (I'm not saying they would) agree with me here. I know Lucas had little respect for post-ROTJ, such as the Mara Jade and Palpatine arcs, and I understand why - they were messing with the characters he had created and envisaged, and messing with his story. To them the movies take precedence, and if the EU gets in the way, it should step aside.

The solution? Of course sending a bulldozer through the EU isn't the solution. Disney realise that despite these fans being a small minority, they can be very loud, they don't want bad press, and they want to make as much revenue as possible. I highly doubt however they will put much thought into keeping the post-ROTJ universe in tact, simply because its so small and rather messy. The safest bet would be to bypass the good stuff, of course what is good is a matter of opinion. I get the feeling that the Thrawn Trilogy is loved by all post-ROTJ fans, and the best of the bunch. Someone on another thread also pointed out that the Kyle Katarn arc, that encompasses comics and games will also be affected, and they are also much loved. But the NJO order, is disliked by many, and from what I can gather is farfetched in places and a little messy. I wouldn't put in past disney if they wiped this area clean, and I wouldn't disagree with them. The only solution I see is if they carve out a section of the NJO era for their film, render that N-Canon and the N-Canon the other material it will effect. And fans will just have to deal with that.

But this still doesn't solve the problem of revenue does it? Comics will be pulled off the shelves never to be seen again, and bad press will be stirred up by angry fans. But this can be solved. For won't the films open up an entirely new playground for EU writers to dive into? An opportunity to start again, to makes things better? Won't the market be flooded not only with new EU to replace the old, but new toys, games, novels etcera etcera - the income will be massive, and will totally make up for their losses and more.

As you can see this move will solve a lot of problems. But will it placate the fans? I don't know. I get the feeling you are one of these fans, whether you like NJO or not I can't say. But what would you think, and anyone else who reads post-NJO about new EU, replacing the old? And perhaps even the death (and rebirth) of the NJO era?

Yes but as Captain_Zone pointed out, and I didn't realise this, if stuff is labeled N-Canon it would be taken of the shelves and those sales would be lost regardless of the demand

Just want to address some of the points you made here that I didn't before because it was rushed. FIrstly I have no contempt for the minority EU fans at all, and my blatant 'no one cares' point was made because people weren't taking the time to read the full argument so I put in a simpler form. Of course its a hyperbole, and not true, its just a summary of what I was saying. That these EU fans are the minority, I have no contempt for them, I simply realise Disney has little care for them, they wan't to appease the main fan base, not dance around the EU.

As for you alternative, I have to say I don't like it at all, I really don't. Alternative universes would simply render the star wars story null and void, because in a sense its not the true story, just a version I like. I see it as a slippery slope, once Disney does it, who else will follow? The canon system will become more and more obsolete, the amount of alternate universes will escalate, and if they don't, the current ones will grow, until their are entirely different versions of the star wars story, when their should only be one. Alternate universes should be what they are now, I bit of fun. This would lead to a Marvel-scale predicament, with rubbish about alternate universes inside alternate universes. In an extreme way, it would be the death of the Star Wars I fell in love with, I'm willing to sacrifice some EU to maintain what we already have.

Disney, and George Lucas, would probably (I'm not saying they would) agree with me here. I know Lucas had little respect for post-ROTJ, such as the Mara Jade and Palpatine arcs, and I understand why - they were messing with the characters he had created and envisaged, and messing with his story. To them the movies take precedence, and if the EU gets in the way, it should step aside.

The solution? Of course sending a bulldozer through the EU isn't the solution. Disney realise that despite these fans being a small minority, they can be very loud, they don't want bad press, and they want to make as much revenue as possible. I highly doubt however they will put much thought into keeping the post-ROTJ universe in tact, simply because its so small and rather messy. The safest bet would be to bypass the good stuff, of course what is good is a matter of opinion. I get the feeling that the Thrawn Trilogy is loved by all post-ROTJ fans, and the best of the bunch. Someone on another thread also pointed out that the Kyle Katarn arc, that encompasses comics and games will also be affected, and they are also much loved. But the NJO order, is disliked by many, and from what I can gather is farfetched in places and a little messy. I wouldn't put in past disney if they wiped this area clean, and I wouldn't disagree with them. The only solution I see is if they carve out a section of the NJO era for their film, render that N-Canon and the N-Canon the other material it will effect. And fans will just have to deal with that.

But this still doesn't solve the problem of revenue does it? Comics will be pulled off the shelves never to be seen again, and bad press will be stirred up by angry fans. But this can be solved. For won't the films open up an entirely new playground for EU writers to dive into? An opportunity to start again, to makes things better? Won't the market be flooded not only with new EU to replace the old, but new toys, games, novels etcera etcera - the income will be massive, and will totally make up for their losses and more.

As you can see this move will solve a lot of problems. But will it placate the fans? I don't know. I get the feeling you are one of these fans, whether you like NJO or not I can't say. But what would you think, and anyone else who reads post-NJO about new EU, replacing the old? And perhaps even the death (and rebirth) of the NJO era?

I agree that the later ExU sucks big hairy donkey... you know. However, most of the Expanded Universe fans love the early post-RotJ series of novels and comics. I also proposed the idea you have up there to leave the good stuff intact as an alternate to the three universes idea. To expand on what I would like to see them keep: The main story of the Thrawn Trilogy, Bounty Hunter Wars, X-Wing (ALL of the X-Wing series), Truce at Bakura, Dark Empire (I, II, and Empire's End), and a few other good stories. The later stuff is what most people dislike, and the whole "Starwars Ball Z" feel of the "Ultimate Power Luke", etc. can get blasted for all I care.... along with all of the crap from Karen Traviss. She's a good military fiction author, but she sucks horribly at Star Wars.

The bottom line is that it's up to Disney and Leland Chee, unless Disney gets rid of him. I have a feeling they'll keep him around, though. He spent quite a few years tapdancing through the George Lucas minefield and managed to keep everything pretty much intact. It's just a matter of "wait and see" as to what happens to the post-RotJ ExU, right now.

No matter what happens, look on the bright side. IF they go with the three universes, at least it's not as bad as in comic books. 52 universes in DC. Hundreds of universes in Marvel now, since they adopted DC's "multiverse" idea.

I agree that the later ExU sucks big hairy donkey... you know. However, most of the Expanded Universe fans love the early post-RotJ series of novels and comics... The later stuff is what most people dislike, and the whole "Starwars Ball Z" feel of the "Ultimate Power Luke", etc. can get blasted for all I care.... along with all of the crap from Karen Traviss. She's a good military fiction author, but she sucks horribly at Star Wars.
Seems you verified what I suspected NJO sucks :p So i think the solution is clear - say the NJO era didn't exist, that would give Disney and Lucasfilm the perfect playground to work with. And their actions would not affect the previous good stuff that you mentioned alone. And seeing as support for the NJO era is minimal, they can get away with pretending it doesn't exist and carving out their own chunk of space to work in. Not sure about the whole timeline thing, but this may lead to the death of the whole Darth Caedus/Lumiya arc - I don't know.

No matter what happens, look on the bright side. IF they go with the three universes, at least it's not as bad as in comic books. 52 universes in DC. Hundreds of universes in Marvel now, since they adopted DC's "multiverse" idea.
Slippery slope, 3 will become 52+ before you can say Yuuzhan Vong...

At a push i could except an alternate NJO era - but labeled as non-canon (like starwars infinities) Thus in a canon-sense that era could be erased and the films accompanied by fresh EU can take its place.

Edited by Beniboybling

Seems you verified what I suspected NJO sucks :p So i think the solution is clear - say the NJO era didn't exist, that would give Disney and Lucasfilm the perfect playground to work with. And their actions would not affect the previous good stuff that you mentioned alone. And seeing as support for the NJO era is minimal, they can get away with pretending it doesn't exist and carving out their own chunk of space to work in. Not sure about the whole timeline thing, but this may lead to the death of the whole Darth Caedus/Lumiya arc - I don't know.

Slippery slope, 3 will become 52+ before you can say Yuuzhan Vong...

At a push i could except an alternate NJO era - but labeled as non-canon (like starwars infinities) Thus in a canon-sense that era could be erased and the films accompanied by fresh EU can take its place.

I could live with the NJO and everything after being voided. No problem here. The only problem would still be a revenue crunch, but a much smaller revenue crunch that Disney would probably be willing to eat.

As far as the slippery slope, DC actually managed to drag themselves back from literally thousands of universes before Crisis on Infinite Earths. Then they had just one universe for quite a few years, which had its continuity rebooted a couple times. Now they have "The 52", each with its own continuity and cast of characters. They've made great strides in keeping everything manageable. Star Wars has always been leery of going down that road, and they've managed to keep the "two universes" they already have overlapping as much as possible. I would never suggest infinite realities like in comics or Star Trek. But one branching universe wouldn't kill the franchise. Remember that Leland Chee is a master of keeping everything packaged fairly neatly.