No space PvE in the forseeable future

The_Grand_Nagus

Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow.

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

I asked him about the possibility that the current, that Galactic Starfighter was designed with PvE in mind. He said no, it was not. That is far far far far far down on the wall of crazy, is PvE Starfighter. He said the biggest problems would be with scripting and 3D AI; things that they dont have in the game they would basically have to write fresh. The good thing about PvE is the good scripting. Getting the ability in at the right time makes it interesting and fun, but not unfair. You know, getting those enrage timers right. Getting like a DOT thrown out at the right time. Stuff that has to be done really well for PvE to work right. And for them to do that in space would be a lot of work. So problems with scripting and AI would be reasons that we wont be seeing PvE Galactic starfighter. So thats upsetting, I'm not happy about that, I wish that we could, but its understandable. And hopefully they make a good system with the Galactic Starfighter.

Here is a reply later in this thread from the podcaster:

As the podcaster in question I am confident in saying it will be years before we even have a remote chance of space PvE. Feel free to speculate as you will but they had a sizeable team working primarily on GS for a long period of time. They want to use those resources on other things for the time being.

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.

***edit***

Now with coverage at massively.com:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/10/20/dont-expect-swtor-space-pve-any-time-soon/

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it has been confirmed that the Galactic Starfighter expansion will be PvP only, many people have speculated that this is simply a foundation to build on and that PvE content will follow.

However, a TOR podcaster recently attended the New York community cantina event and had a chance to talk with the devs on the subject. You can listen to the comments starting at 42:05, but here is a direct quote:

So while they may change their minds and decide to build on the PvP-only foundation one day, that is not their current plan, and it definitely wont be any time in the foreseeable future.

But in you other thread you also said this is not anywhere near a credible source...then you edited your post.

Just how much of a **** stirrer do you want to be?

Driz

Yah, its a bummer :( but not really a surprise as the engine they have would probably blow up if they tried to do PvE in space. Someday, someone will make it happen it just might not be Swtor. In the meantime I'll keep playing, being silly and swinging around a light saber :)

I expect PvE'er to be patient regarding this. Anyone with a brain would know that it will eventually go PvE, as PvE players encompass the majority of the population.

I will say this, PvP in this game has gotten the shaft in a major way since the very beginning with nearly every content update leaning to PvE. We finally got Arenas and it is a step in the right direction but more love is needed.

With the release of PvP space combat, I think this will put PvP where it needs to be for now. Considering the fact that nearly every content update is PvE, not getting space combat out of the gate shouldn't be a big deal.

I expect PvE'er to be patient regarding this. Anyone with a brain would know that it will eventually go PvE, as PvE players encompass the majority of the population.

Like I said in the OP, that may happen eventually. But based on what they said, it wont be any time in the foreseeable future. So realistically speaking, people might as well forget about space PvE.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

Well, wow. This is like a big middle finger to the PvErs. I PvP and will certainly play GS, but it pisses me off to no end if they're not building on the foundation. Wow Bioware, please come out and tell us this is not true....

If you take this as a big middle finger, then you have got some problems.

1) If they say that it's too much work to pull off in the near future, then it is what it is. What do you suggest if they can't pull it off? Just don't release the PvP version so the PvE'ers will be happy?

2) You have endless amount of PvE content to play. Deal with it, you will get space PvE eventually.

I don't mind this. I think space PvP is something the game needed for a while and it'll be fun regardless if you like to PvE or not due to the fact it has nothing to do with your classes abilities.

Exactly. Without class abilites, there is zero difference between shooting down a PvP player versus shooting down a PvE starfighter. Aim, shoot, win.

Its all good :D

No I didn't. You can't accidentally qoute another person. Click the qoute button on the person you wanna qoute, it quotes them and you post.

Something is either wrong with your computer or you are having a dummy moment, bro.

Edited by ObiJuanShenobi

But in you other thread you also said this is not anywhere near a credible source...then you edited your post.

Driz

I'm not the only one who noticed that then.

Regardless, I would take PvP space combat as we are hearing of it, especially if they continuously develop it to bigger and bigger systems, i know as a fact they themselves said that Guild Capital Ships were being developed along side the SSSP and that would have me way more excited than generic repeatable PvE missions i'll be done and over with in a week.

Edited by LadyKulvax

No I didn't. You can't accidentally qoute another person. Click the qoute button on the person you wanna qoute, it quotes them and you post.

Something is either wrong with your computer or you are having a dummy moment, bro.

Sorry, I think you are confused about something. Its ok though, things happen :o

I will not take it to heart until I hear the actual audio from the event. Until that is possible I will assume that some licence was taken by the person reporting the information. It does not, after all, sound like a direct quote, but more of an overall report.

That does not mean they are wrong or are trying to mislead...it only means the accuracy might be questionable.

That said, I already assumed it would be quite a ways down the road, and only if the feature proved popular. I personally do not think they fell short on not offering a PVE alternative...I think they fell short by not offering "on foot" fighting like in BF2. That would made the feature much more appealing to most folks IMO.

BF2 was one of the most popular games in the SW franchise after all, and the PVP feature, with space combat combined with capital ship fighting on foot (taking out points in the ship, manning turrets, fighting each other to defend key points) was sighted often as the reason why it was so popular.

I also think this should have been a persistent 24 hour open space battlefield, not a 12vs12 like they have indicated.

Regardless, I would take PvP space combat as we are hearing of it, especially if they continuously develop it to bigger and bigger systems, i know as a fact they themselves said that Guild Capital Ships were being developed along side the SSSP and that would have me way more excited than generic repeatable PvE missions i'll be done and over with in a week.

Guild capital ships will never happen in the PvP only system. In fact, in the same podcast they talked about why the numbers were 12 vs 12 and said it was because that was all the hero engine could handle(24 total). So there is no way they can do anything large enough that it would involve guild capital ships and PvP at the same time.

Driz

Lol! He sure did edit it. Wow... so, first it wasn't a credible source because it was a conversation during happy hour with the devs and now it is the truth from the Cantina Tour in NY. Hmm... what gives Nagus? Is a source only credible when you decide it is? Shall we take a poll on that?

Guild capital ships will never happen in the PvP only system. In fact, in the same podcast they talked about why the numbers were 12 vs 12 and said it was because that was all the hero engine could handle(24 total). So there is no way they can do anything large enough that it would involve guild capital ships and PvP at the same time.

Well, in BF2 capital ships were not controlled by players....they were fixed (figuratively speaking) points in space that fought with one another, shot at fighters, etc....and you could land in the bays, change fighters, move out on foot in the ship, man turrets, defend key points (or attack them), etc.

You would transition from fighter to on foot seamlessly inside the hangar.

Lol! He sure did edit it. Wow... so, first it wasn't a credible source because it was a conversation during happy hour with the devs and now it is the truth from the Cantina Tour in NY. Hmm... what gives Nagus? Is a source only credible when you decide it is? Shall we take a poll on that?

Sorry, you must be confusing something someone else said. Link?