Dual blade lightsaber VS Dual lightsabers

Slowpokeking

There are more famous Jedi/Sith use dual blade lightsaber than dual lightsabers. Even some masters of dual lightsabers like Kun, Malgus and Maul didn't choose it as their first choice. However I think dual lightsabers are usually better than dual blade lightsaber in 1V1 condition since dual blade lightsaber greatly limited the movement and posture. Edited by Slowpokeking

Double-Bladed light sabers are far more defensive than Dual Wielding light sabers because the movements are tighter and given the length on both ends it's harder to get around. Dual wielding is incredibly offensive, and DWing attacks are wider, and often weaker because you've only got the weight and strength of one weapon/ arm. You can execute more attacks, but you leave yourself open and if you don't finish the fight quickly you're at risk of wearing yourself out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Double-bladed_lightsaber

The primary purpose of the double-bladed lightsaber was to allow for a faster rate of attack, unleashing a rapid assault with only a minimum of movement, "more slaughter per swing" as some put it. Saberstaffs were also excellent defensive weapons, as the doubled length of the weapon provided more surface area for deflecting and parrying.

Double-blades diminish movement, but not at the expense of speed. It is also a very offensive weapon.

Edited by Warren-Stride

Double-Bladed light sabers are far more defensive than Dual Wielding light sabers because the movements are tighter and given the length on both ends it's harder to get around. Dual wielding is incredibly offensive, and DWing attacks are wider, and often weaker because you've only got the weight and strength of one weapon/ arm. You can execute more attacks, but you leave yourself open and if you don't finish the fight quickly you're at risk of wearing yourself out.

I don't think lightsaber require to much strength because it can easily cut through almost everything, agility can help the user to get less head on situation.

In 1 on 1 lightsaber duel it's going to greatly limit the movement.

The range of motion is limited, but the movements are tighter, faster and more controlled. If you've ever seen, or practiced with a Bo Staff you'd have an idea of what I talk about.

I don't think lightsaber require to much strength because it can easily cut through almost everything, agility can help the user to get less head on situation.

And all the agility in the world isn't going to help you if your opponent has twice the defensive real-estate as you.

Double-bladed light sabers aren't able to get the same range of motion as Single Bladed sabers, but neither are Dual Sabers. With two sabers you have to be mindful of two separate weapons at all times, this means you have to make wider, more aggressive attacks to one, make sure you've got enough clearance so that you don't cause yourself harm and two, try and overwhelm your opponent before you wear yourself out.

You put too much stock in Dual Wielding, but there's a reason why the only popularized DWers are reminiscent of Roman Gladiators, combatants that are usually only placed in 1v1 melees.

The range of motion is limited, but the movements are tighter, faster and more controlled. If you've ever seen, or practiced with a Bo Staff you'd have an idea of what I talk about.

It's different than Bo staff, because its other blade is too long and easy to hurt yourself if you don't move with it. You also can't put your hand on most of the weapon. We don't see such weapon in real life because it's not very useful.

The vast majority of bo staff techniques are done with the hands on the center two feet of the staff. Just watch the Maul vs Jinn vs Kenobi fight in the Phantom Menace. Maul had the upper hand pretty much the entire fight up until he pissed off Kenobi, and even then he was winning until he decided to "play with his food" and not finish off Kenobi outright when he was just barely hanging on for his life.

Double bladed sabers give more control than dual wielding and control is everything in combat.

A Dual Blade Lightsaber can be used as a single blade which gives an advantage over two single blades in a DW stance. The tighter the movements the more positional mobility you can gain drawing out your opponent or forcing them to focus attacks into smaller groups. And smaller attack groups with DW are exceedingly difficult when you have to move defensively.

A Dual Blade Lightsaber can be used as a single blade which gives an advantage over two single blades in a DW stance. The tighter the movements the more positional mobility you can gain drawing out your opponent or forcing them to focus attacks into smaller groups. And smaller attack groups with DW are exceedingly difficult when you have to move defensively.

We are talking light sabers here........flick switch and now I have only one saber.

Always wonder why they never turned them on and off to position better.

We are talking light sabers here........flick switch and now I have only one saber.

Always wonder why they never turned them on and off to position better.

Maul vs Jinn on Tatooine before he escapes to the ambassadors ship and just before the beginning of the fight with Obiwan and Jinn on Naboo. Its actually shown that the lightsaber operates on a multiple switch capacity.

But to answer the question it would have more to do with continuity then anything else.

And then you have Asajj Ventress using a DW stance as a dual blade against Obiwan in the TCW movie. And a few episodes as well if I remember right.

Edited by wrmrstacrdwower

The thing is with a double bladed lightsaber you have a physiological advantage because of the second blade because most people watch it and the primary blade. but in the words of Dark lord Kas'im weapons master of the sith acadamy in the times of darth Bane "The secret to a double sided lightsaber is that where ever the first blade is the other blade is on the exact opposite side. So if you know were one blade is you know were the other blade is"

:hope_06:

The thing is with a double bladed lightsaber you have a physiological advantage because of the second blade because most people watch it and the primary blade. but in the words of Dark lord Kas'im weapons master of the sith acadamy in the times of darth Bane "The secret to a double sided lightsaber is that where ever the first blade is the other blade is on the exact opposite side. So if you know were one blade is you know were the other blade is"

Good point. I think I'd give the edge to the dual weilders because they're less predictable.

Good point. I think I'd give the edge to the dual weilders because they're less predictable.

I feel the edge would go to the Double Bladed saber because of the control and tight defense. It's difficult to be unpredictable without leaving openings. Openings a tight defense could exploit.

After many duels with lightsaber props, I can confidently say that the double-bladed lightsaber offers no tangible advantage over a single saber, and could be very disadvantageous against dual lightsabers.

It must always be held close to the body to prevent cutting one's self, only one end can be effectively utilized for attack and defense at any given moment, and to flow into using the second blade it frees up the opponent's own saber for use.

What you end up with is a single lightsaber that must be held close at all times.

Any benefits would come from an opponent who doesn't understand this.

After many duels with lightsaber props, I can confidently say that the double-bladed lightsaber offers no tangible advantage over a single saber, and could be very disadvantageous against dual lightsabers.

It must always be held close to the body to prevent cutting one's self, only one end can be effectively utilized for attack and defense at any given moment, and to flow into using the second blade it frees up the opponent's own saber for use.

What you end up with is a single lightsaber that must be held close at all times.

Right. I remember wacking kids to the death with those toys. SO MUCH FUN!!

For a untrained person, a single saber is easily the best. But you have to remember that all Jedi/Sith would spend a lot of time in training.

So, with the proper training, double-bladed lightsabers aren't so disadvantagous.

I've been waiting for this. I think Kas'im also said the advantage of the dual wielder is you can attack from two angles at once where as with a saber staff wielder still only attacks from one angle.

It probably depends on multiple factors, a double bladed saber still gives you the ability to use the full strength of both hands in a swing, two sabers does not.

Two sabers gives you two lines of attack but also lessens your defense from styles like Djem So, so they all have their good points and bad points.

As someone who is well in to both sports/competitive and classical swordsmanship I'm perfectly willing to say using only a single lightsaber is far superior to dual wielding. There is very rarely a good reason to dual wield two blades of the same length. When compared to the double sided staff though, that's a difficult question to answer. Personally, i'd probably never use either 'styles'. Single bladed saber with a custom grip (to be more practical) would be the best way to go.

Both double bladed and dual wielding are impractical and, honestly, very likely to get you killed against a trained martial swordsman. That said, the way they use lightsabers since the prequels come out is unrealistic and crazy enough that I guess it doesn't even really matter, lightsaber techniques are mostly rule-of-cool at this point. I always chop it up as useful because of a Jedis ability to see a second in the the future, because otherwise they are all more stage performers than anything else.

Edited by LegendaryBlade

As someone who is well in to both sports/competitive and classical swordsmanship I'm perfectly willing to say using only a single lightsaber is far superior to dual wielding. There is very rarely a good reason to dual wield two blades of the same length. When compared to the double sided staff though, that's a difficult question to answer. Personally, i'd probably never use either 'styles'. Single bladed saber with a custom grip (to be more practical) would be the best way to go.

Both double bladed and dual wielding are impractical and, honestly, very likely to get you killed against a trained martial swordsman. That said, the way they use lightsabers since the prequels come out is unrealistic and crazy enough that I guess it doesn't even really matter, lightsaber techniques are mostly rule-of-cool at this point. I always chop it up as useful because of a Jedis ability to see a second in the the future, because otherwise they are all more stage performers than anything else.

Right. I've got little experience with swing stuff around (aside from wacking kids with lightsabers when I was little) but I agree with what you've said. But you've got to remember several things:

1. Lightsaber blades don't weigh ANYTHING. So that's gonna make a difference

2. Anyone that does use dual or double-weild in Star Wars would have practiced with it a LOT

3. Star Wars isn't the real world. It's fake. With that in mind, it is canon that double or dual weilders can match with a single saber duelist in Star Wars.

I think double-bladed light sabers got so popular because all of us kiddos though Darth Maul looked so cool. Fact is double-bladed restricts movement versatility but would also have more weight because of the larger hilt.

Overall:

Double-Bladed= great defense OR better for quick assassinations because of the power behind them

dual lightsabers= more versatility and quicker strikes which is why they are good for classes that are already strong.