Over-Priced GTN Items

RPetrelli

comment from a porevious post:

"On topic though. I've resubbed for a few short months now, and without trying to make credits I have about 10 mil. If there was an item I wanted and it was 50 mil I could play with credits in mind and gain that amount in short order. "

This is like spitting in all of our faces as it is a clearly obvious and total lie.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" And if you think there aren't plenty of players who can spend 40 mil on an item, you don't know much about working the GTN or the in-game economy. "

The only way to acquire that many creds in a timely matter (months) is to purchase them from third party sites.

" And if you think there aren't plenty of players who can spend 40 mil on an item, you don't know much about working the GTN or the in-game economy. "

The only way to acquire that many creds in a timely matter (months) is to purchase them from third party sites.

Lying, the perfect defense against reason.

I always list items if I am currently the only seller of the item.

2 days ago i bought a item that there were only 3 of talk some friendss into buying the others I relisted mine for3.5 mil even though they generally only sell anywhere from 75k to 200k started spamming gen chat to sell the item obviously no takers however the next day I logged in there were 12 of the same items listed cheapest being 560k i say in gen chat looking to sell item I received a whisper saying "sold" and just like that I made 350% profit.

lol No, it's a matter of playing the market. Either by getting items people really need on your own, or buying/reselling items already on the GTN. It isn't that hard to make credits in this game, if you're willing to go through the trouble and headache that may come with it. ;)

Edited by Drox

comment from a porevious post:

"On topic though. I've resubbed for a few short months now, and without trying to make credits I have about 10 mil. If there was an item I wanted and it was 50 mil I could play with credits in mind and gain that amount in short order. "

This is like spitting in all of our faces as it is a clearly obvious and total lie.

How is that a lie? I did a total of five dailies last night, while throwing snowballs and drinking a bottle of wine, and made nearly half a million. Had I concentrated on just doing dailies I probably would have made over a million last night just doing dailies. It really isn't hard to do, even I can do it. A drunken old lady, are you saying you aren't better at a video game than a drunken old lady?

Yeah of course is over the top ;) i was just saying :D

I can also buy most of the thing, i have near to 60% of the whole collection and never spend a CC.

This is not the point, I think people have to sell better on the GTN

Lol my humour sensor obviously malfunctioned there. :D

Edited by horrorfaneightys

People do not have an equally fair chance to acquire the items in question.

Yep, that's true. Some people are Premium subs and can accrue more than 350K credits. Some people don't have to work and have the time to play 100 hours a week grinding out credits through dailies. Some people work and use their money to buy oodles of Cartel Packs and either win the RNG lottery. Or they convert them into in game credits by selling stuff on the GTN. Some people are able to identify an untapped market and save up enough credits over time to acquire the high price items.

But, here's the secret: the system is not designed to be "fair" by your definitions of it.

Games are engineered around the understanding of human psychology, and what gamers want (and need) to continue playing are brass rings to strive for, or what a friend of mine dubbed "the Nintendo effect". Get the credits together to buy the new sword with better stats. Find out there's another sword with even better stats, work to acquire that. Wash, rinse, repeat.

They also want to be a special snowflake. They want to have the thing no one else has, or very few people have. What makes the Gree Red Sphere speeder so desirable? Revan's Mask? Their rarity.

When everyone can get whatever they want easily, no one is special. Everyone is the same. The game is vanilla. It's boring. People quit. And that's the last thing Bioware wants.

So some things are rare, and some people get them and others don't, and they sell things for exorbitant quantities of money--and get it. In a true free market economy, which this is, the only rule is supply vs. demand. "Fair" doesn't factor into the equation at all.

You don't have to agree with it. If you don't like it, then quit, simple as that. But continuing to QQ about it won't change a darn thing.

I'm sorry but this whole post is absurd

I have read all of the posts here and I disagree with soem things. I don't want to dictate anyone's actions and I AGREE with anyone being able to sell for whatever price they want. I do NOT agree with: People do not have an equally fair chance to acquire the items in question.

But... they do.

You can farm dailies, craft and play the market and you can make 15mil. You don't want to spend that much time in the game? Excellent! I agree, it would be unhealthy. Then say goodbye to the expensive item you want. I don't understand why that's a problem.

The only way to get the items at this time in game would be to waste an absurdly large amount of real world money to even have an equally fair chance at the item.

No, they don't actually have to.

You don't want to spend that absurdly large amount of real world money? Don't.

You can make the credits by paying the price of your subscription and nothing else above and beyond that, by actually playing the game and its market. It will take you A LONG time but you'll make them.

The item should be available to be acquired in game some how or to be able to be purchased somehow in the game, but simply should not be only acquireable by having to pay someone (another player) an amount of money they do not deserve.

No it shouldn't. Players who've been here longer already have it and most of them also have the credits to buy it. And, I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but people who've been doing something longer than you have should be rewarded by having access to things you don't. You can't seriously expect to start playing an MMO and have easy access to everything someone who's been in it for 2 years has, right?

Just make the items more readily available. I am putting the hate-bomb comments out of my mind here and focusing on the real problem at hand.

Again, there is no "real" problem. You see it as a problem because you want to buy something that's rare for a price that's convenient for you. For you, it's a problem but generally speaking, it's not because that's not how things work.

Revan's gear is a vanity set.

You don't NEED it. There are no super-powerful mods in it that would make it easier for you to play the game.

You like the way it looks and you WANT it.

There's a big difference there.

none of those items are in any way, shape or form required to play the game.

they are fluff.

and as such, you are neither obligated to buy them, nor is seller obligated to price them in a way that you can afford.

think of it as.... Tiffany jewelry. is it ridiculously expensive? yes it is. is it worth it? that's debatable. should the company lower the prices so that more people could buy it? that is entirely up to them, but they certainly shouldn't be forced into it.

you are NOT entitled to everything you want, especially when the item you want is pure luxury to begin with.

and the most ironic thing is... unlike real life, people in SWTOR ,well subscribers anyways DO have a fair chance to acquire nearly any item they want. it may take some longer than the others, but you don't have to spend a single cartel coin on it. even if all you do is dailies (which is guaranteed income) - you can eventually make up enough. right now its easier then ever. the only items you cannot acquire are the founder items and anniversary items fro mthe aniversary that you weren't a part of. and IMO? that's absolutely fair.

Edited by Jeweledleah

I remember seeing recently a thread about undercutting the prices on GTN, go figure.

In other news, the items you want will return to Cartel Market one day. Just wait for the occasion to have a chance winning them out of hundreds of packs.

Edited by ELRunninW

Let's dissect this, objectively, a bit since you did take the high road and shrug off all the nonsense and take time to restate your opinion politely:

I don't want to dictate anyone's actions and I AGREE with anyone being able to sell for whatever price they want.

Maybe, but... that is exactly what you are doing effectively. You don't like player pricing on extremely rare items (the items you itemized ARE extremely rare, and in fact were always very rare even when the packs containing them were in open sale.

I do NOT agree with: People do not have an equally fair chance to acquire the items in question.

This statement is incongruent with MMOs in general. Why? How? Every MMO that uses loot itemization as part of it's core play mechanics ALWAYS has items in game (regardless of how they are dropped into the game servers economy) that are very rare, very coveted, and people willing to go to extreme lengths to acquire.

I understand the theme of your statement (which is accessibility to all), but it ignores one of the fundamentals of MMOs.. players love to covet and brag and display really hard to acquire items. Not all players, but many in fact do as part of their game play.

The only way to get the items at this time in game would be to waste an absurdly large amount of real world money to even have an equally fair chance at the item.

The extremely rare items you have picked as your talking points... were once, while still expensive, much easier to acquire through the GTN. Human nature, supply (limited) and demand (over the top on some items on the part of players) all play a factor here. IF the items in question were common, available to many for low effort (be time, or credits or cartel coins, or whatever) then they would by definition not be craved and desired in a manner that drives up prices between players. And you know what.. players would complain that everyone has everything and it's all too easy to acquire. So, inside MMOs, devs have to find a balance point somewhere.... some good things being easier to acquire, some extremely hard, and some so ugly/undesireable you cannot give them away.

I am putting the hate-bomb comments out of my mind here and focusing on the real problem at hand.

So... let's ask for a bit more clarity..... what exactly IS the real problem at hand? Is it rarity of supply? Is it rarity coupled with extreme cravings on the part of players? Is it the method in which they are acquired.... (ie: random very rare drops from old cartel packs? I is it a desire for a more socialized "welfare epic" style loot model?

The fact is... in the context of the GTN....nothing sells if it is priced beyond a persons (any person on the server, you only need one daddy_war_bucks looking for the item to sell it) willingness to pay. Hence.. the item may never sell if priced out of the demand curve of the players. However, if these items do indeed sell at the prices you are objecting to.. then by definition.. they are not over priced, just priced at extreme premiums that are within the supply/demand mechanics of a particular server.

There are many extremely wealthy veteran players in this game (it is two years old now and making multiple millions of credits per day in game is not that difficult) who might think over a 30 million dollar price tag for a bet or boots or something... but having done so.. if they want it.. they may indeed buy it.

Clearly, items being listed for 1 Billion credits and such is just players in game trolling you with absurd pricing. But hey.. that may well be one of their mini-games.. and the game mechanics permit it. Someday they will get tired of it and sell the item off for market prices.

AND.. let's close with the sub-topic of "market prices". Market prices is one of my mini-games personally as I make most of my in game wealth playing the spreads in the market. In order to do so, I have to understand the actual market pricing (ie: pricing that reflects actual buyer perception of value) as I buy under priced items and resell them at market rate = 10% as my personal business model. Now, extremely rare items are hard to market price accurately as they are priced more on emotion and passion then practicality. Needless to say, I don't play the GTN in the extremely rare end of the listings (unless I find one up for silly low prices as I am perusing the market, and this has in fact happened on occasion for me).

Let's TL;DR this now: buyer demand meets seller pricing. When the two are congruent within some player driven tolerance range.. sales take place...... regardless where the item dropped, or how it dropped in game. There is nothing to fix here. The GTN in this MMO works extremely well in a player economy driven supply/demand model.

Edited by Andryah

ummm ok.. what about me talking about "free market" makes me a 'dumb nut".

feel free to point out anything that I said that was wrong or untrue. Also feel free to state how it would be "better" to do it some other way.

also think that was a rather blatant personal attack for no reason. I simply stated a fact and was jumped on as a "dumb nut" I am neither dumb..nor a nut thank you very much.

LOL, because the game doesn't have a free market at all.

The only game that comes close to having a free market is EVE Online. Is this EVE Online, no. Get a clue.

I remember seeing recently a thread about undercutting the prices on GTN, go figure.

Heh.. yeah... undercutting is how I make most of my profits from my personal income generating mini-game on the GTN. I love it when a new pack releases. People gobble them up in the hopes of getting some craved item.. and unload a lot of the other stuff at super silly low prices. I made ~ 4million just buying/holding/reselling Relnex Robes over the last several months. I bought them all for under 10K credits (many for less then 5K) and have resold them all at between 50-90K credits. I had so many of these in storage at one point it made even me shriek.

I have two alts with fully unlocked cargos that do nothing but buy low priced items and hold them for later resale. When I resell.. I resell at a hefty profit (courtesy of the low ball early pricing) but I also always undercut the market by at least 10%...even if my competition at the moment is listing a very limited supply at absurd premiums to what I know to be the recent market prices. And I almost always win in this mini-game because I have a knack for knowing what will be desired later on and is underpriced in the present.

Edited by Andryah

Heh.. yeah... undercutting is how I make most of my profits from my personal income generating mini-game on the GTN. I love it when a new pack releases. People gobble them up in the hopes of getting some craved item.. and unload a lot of the other stuff at super silly low prices. I made ~ 4million just buying/holding/reselling Relnex Robes over the last several months. I bought them all for under 10K credits (many for less then 5K) and have resold them all at between 50-90K credits. I had so many of these in storage at one point it made even me shriek.

I have two alts with fully unlocked cargos that do nothing but buy low priced items and hold them for later resale. When I resell.. I resell at a hefty profit (courtesy of the low ball early pricing) but I also always undercut the market by at least 10%...even if my competition at the moment is listing a very limited supply at absurd premiums to what I know to be the recent market prices. And I almost always win in this mini-game because I have a knack for knowing what will be desired later on and is underpriced in the present.

I got the entire sensuous outfit for under 500k, sold one of the chest pieces last night for 850k, still have one more to sell. Already made 350k profit from just that one purchase, plus I now have the outfit unlocked for all my characters. Thanks GTN :)

The only game that comes close to having a free market is EVE Online. Is this EVE Online, no. Get a clue.

free market noun

: an economic market or system in which prices are based on competition among private businesses and not controlled by a government

I missed the part where BioWare started setting prices for us. Those bastards.

Embrace thy own advice IMO.

A market, any market, is in fact "free" in nature if there are no stipulations placed on sell vs buy pricing. Free markets are fluid in nature.. following supply demand dynamics. By the very definition, MMOs with trading between players without price constraints or price fixing IS a free market (in the context of the insides of that MMO, on a particular server).

It would however be correct to say that most of the SWTOR server free market effects are loot driven, rather then raw materials and craft driven like EVE. In EVE the markets are much more complex then in SWTOR... because of the entire supply chain of materials----builders--- sellers ---- buyers integral to the game. Crafting in SWTOR is not as full blown and integral to the economy as it is in EVE. That does not however mean that crafting is not working the free market inside SWTOR GTNs and trade channels though. 31 series mods ------> very much crafters working a free market that is fluid to supply and demand. There is a lot of demand, and the supply side materials are generally expensive.. so prices on current top tier crafted mods do run at the top end of the market. Older mods by contrast, now sell at fractions of what they used to... because of a change in the supply-demand dynamics in the player base.

Edited by Andryah

Wow! Another thread complaining about prices. Let's see, so far as I've been keeping track of this is two about prices being too high and one about prices being too low.

I'm really curious and have a question for the people complaining about prices getting too high.

Please do answer ... How many credits do you make, say per planet? Me, I'm strictly a gatherer, selling materials to the crafters. Around 20, if I put the effort in, I typically cake anywhere between 300,000 to 400,000 per planet, per alt. Sometimes a little more ( I love Belsavis )

Also, I'm one of those KRAZZY Larry super discount price slashing sellers who prefer a quick turn-around. And I care not one whit if someone buys my stuff to sell for a higher price, I made my sale at my price and that makes me happy.

And there are a lot of things that I find too expensive to justify spending the price .. I got upgrades to get! :D For instance, I'd LOVE a throne. I don't care which, but it's just too much. I don't cry about it though, I just grimace a little, spare a quick nasty thought for the seller and his or hers parentage, and move on.

But back to my question ... To those who really complain about price and want some sort of limit put in place ... how much do you make doing whatever it is you do?

Edited by Trintric
grammar

I do lot of times the same thing, not with two character, just with one, but I buy at lower price when pack come out and then sell it back at higher price. There are sometimes thing that will never grow in price (such not rare pet and some gear) but if you have a good eye you can make good money, even more than questing.... actually is one of the most risky and profitable thing

Revan's Belt on sale for 40 million.

Ridiculous price? I agree.

In my mind, due to the rarity , maybe I would actually find a buyer for 10 million.

So I put in on the GTN for 40 million, and leave it there, with no intention of selling it.

You and others come by, see it on the GTN, see the price at 40 million.

"That's crazy."

"No way I'm paying 40 million"

"Bananas, it's not worth 40 million!!!"

The items expires in a couple days, I collect it from my mail, place it on the GTN for the "bargain" price of 25 million.

It sells in less than 30 minutes.

Here endeth the lesson.

Edited by jonpwil

Revan's Belt on sale for 40 million.

Ridiculous price? I agree.

In my mind, due to the rarity , maybe I would actually find a buyer for 10 million.

So I put in on the GTN for 40 million, and leave it there, with no intention of selling it.

You and others come by, see it on the GTN, see the price at 40 million.

"That's crazy."

"No way I'm paying 40 million"

"Bananas, it's not worth 40 million!!!"

The items expires in a couple days, I collect it from my mail, place it on the GTN for the "bargain" price of 25 million.

It sells in less that 30 minutes.

Here endeth the lesson.

/thumbs-up

jonpwil clearly knows how to tease out the market price for an extremely rare item on the GTN. :D

Edited by Andryah

Supply meet demand. I think you two will be the bestest of friends.

Hmmm.... it's very doubtful that the demand is actually as high as the price suggests. That happens sometimes in MMOs. Someone gets a funny idea to put a very rare item, that possibly even isn't for sale right now, on the market for an insanely high price, lacking a reference. No one buys the item, but other people who wish to sell the item as well jump on the train and put it in for similar prices. The consequence is that the market is deadlocked for that until the price drop into a region where it meets the actual demand.

I had a similar situation in Champions Online once for an item I wanted. The difference is that you have to pay 5% of the price you charge as offer fee which is not refunded, so it's a bit more painful. In that case it would have been two million down the drain.

That rarely happens in EVE Online where the market has a detailed history and there is only a single one market for the entire game, which causes the throughput to be considerably higher than the individual server & faction markets. The downside of it - there are more people who are indeed filthy rich and items which are indeed rare go for really high prices.

Edited by Rabenschwinge