10 reasons why Marauder is the weakest class in PvP

Highsis

I have FOUR marauder characters across 3 servers.

the main lv 50 geared, dark side.

an alt lv 40 for light side play

another alt lv 40 with diff gender

yet another alt 20 with different server type to play with friends.

So I believe I've played enough games with marauder. I am usually not a complaining type, but more I play mara more I realize how UP they are in PvP.

Let me jump straight to the topic of why marauder is a joke in PvP. It easily becomes the worst PvP class especially with carnage tree. (it is good with PvE, though.)

1. Worst medal earning in PvP.

75k damage

25 kills

10 kills

solo kills

killing blow

It's pretty much all the basic medals you can get in many games before 50. (well sure you can get 25k damage medal but as annahilator you don't have damage burst, as rage you don't get that much damage until later in tech tree, so doesn't carnage until you get gore. There are exceptions but I often check scoreboard to see most mara don't get medal until they get to high lvl.)

A jugg can best marauder in the medal number in 3 min. 3 medals defending, 10 kills and killing blow.

The very first time I played scoundrel I had 52 kills 3 deaths on voidstar as lvl 10 and I've never had that many kills as marauder before. When I first played Juggernaut I had 8 medals which I seldom achieved as mara.

2. Low DPS...

When I was playing marauder I thought mara had the highest dps compared to other classes, but apparently that's not even true.

Your lack of CC breaking skills constantly disrupts your moves, kites you, ending in even lesser dps than most ranged classes, hence low kill/death ratio. Maybe mara has the highest damage potential if you are hitting a rag doll standing still, but we all know that's not the case.

The pure dps used to have damage bonus over hybrids, but now that's been removed and hybrids sometimes do even more damage, while healing themselves, CCing, and using push/ pull abilities.

In Alderaan PvP stealthed scoundrels sometimes do 4k+ dmg, which will never happen with mara. Your best dmg output before 50 will be barely past 2.5k.

3. NO CC

what more do I need to say?

4. No push/ pull abilities

This makes marauder a joke in huttball. A ranged hits you from above. If they are in cover, you have to just run away. If not, you charge up there to be pushed back immediately, slowed down effect as a bonus. If you persist, you MIGHT hit the attacker one or two times before they take 10k+ of your health.

5. Not enough CC breaking ability

unleash = once in every 2 min

carnage has one free movement ability(camouflage) but it's late skill and takes 2 points to just acquire that skill, which makes it obsolete.

This is the ridiculous number of free movement skills for a class that has neither CC or force push/pull.

You will be constantly kited, CCed, pushed, pulled, slowed, and you can't even break free.

This makes makes marauder extremely weak in any circumstances other than 1 on 1. Even on 1 on 1, you will still get kited.

6. Not enough ability to hold/root the enemy

carnage can hold enemy for 3 sec at best.

for rage/annihilator? sigh.

7. Squish.

melee class with no tanking ability. enough said.

only safe for 5 sec with undying rage...

8. No versatility

a pure melee DPS class that can't deal enough damage...

9. Good at 1v1, otherwise always BAD.

2v2, 2v1, 3v3, 4v4, you name it.

And even if you best your opponent in 1v1, your opponent can just root you/ CC you/push you/ slow you/ cloak himself and runaway. You can do non of those if you are trying to get away. (*4 sec* camouflage?)

10. Worst combination..

Kited + fragile

fragile + melee dps

fragile + no healing ability

fragile + no cc

fragile + no push/pull

fragile + no hiding/cover ability

fragile + no tricks, pure damage abilities only

not enough medals + late to gear up

pure dps + only slightly higher overall dps compared to other classes.

Try to check scoreboard after each PvP. You will notice juggs often top the board while it's marauders placed at the bottom. What's funny is their overal damage aren't that different either. Marauder will often claim the top damage amount, but it's not even much while mara is inferior in every other score criteria.

I wasn't going to write this post until 10 mit ago when a guy complained how weak scoundrel is in PvP on gen chat of the fleet, yelling Marauder IMBA! I laughed hard, and wrote this off right away.

I urge you to play marauder as your next alt. This class is overwhelmingly... weak in PvP. For ex, as scoundrel, you can hide in cover and spam blast ability ONLY and do nothing else to best marauder in kill/death ratio. On Illum you are often the first target even before healers because you are so fragile, and die in 3,4 sec with focus fire.

I hold much affection to anything first, hence I love marauder since I chose it as my first character. But more alt I make more I see how bad marauders are at PvP.

We are PROUD kill count donators and a class cannon that is hyped-up to have a high dps but often we just end up shattering even before loading cannon balls. YAY us.

I'm not even going to ask BW to fix this. I just want people to realize it's juggs that occupies top scoreboard in PvP and maras are often at the rock bottom. I hope people stop yelling mara IMBA simply because they see sith warriors scoring high in PvP and think all sith warriors are IMBA. Juggs maybe good, but mara is definitely the weakest class in PvP.

ps. marauder + carnage is a even bigger joke. Anna + mara is already bad, and carnage is much, much worse.

Edited by Highsis

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL MARAUDER IS THE WEAKEST PVP CLASS?

You have 4 marauders and you STILL haven't learned how to play it correctly?

They DOMINATE PvP in small scale situations and they are extremely strong in group v. group situations as well.

The thing about Mauraders and Sentinels is... they wreck faces... but only if you're skilled at the class. It's been stated before that these Advanced Classes are the hardest to learn and master.

You say you have 4 Maurader characters and have played them to death, but playing a class for a long time does NOT MEAN you're any good at it.

Verdict: You suck at Maurader but don't want to admit it so you come here to complain about the class.

Maybe you should try another class aswell and compare....without defence cooldowns the class is weak but if you have your cooldowns up you should do well in 1v1. Its always better to play at least 2-3 classes to see the difference and not just only one but maybe you have done this already. In mass pvp the marauder sucks, so carefull and dont jump always in a group of players. Marauder is not an I win button, you have to really work for your skills and the class is very dependant on cd´s. Edited by BobaFurz

"Try to check scoreboard after each PvP. You will notice juggs often top the board while it's marauders placed at the bottom. What's funny is their overal damage aren't that different either. Marauder will often claim the top damage amount, but it's not even much while mara is inferior in every other score criteria."

I top DPS every single game, usually beating 2nd place by 50-100k. Not sure what you mean by "inferior in every other score criteria" though. We're a DPS class, not a tank or healer. We're not going to top every single thing (even though I've gotten top heals plenty of times as a sentinel, not that my healing means much over all to the team). Yeah, we can only get 8 or 9 medals tops when we do extremely well where my vanguard could get 10 or 11, but so what? Medals are not the end all to how effective we are in PvP, since every class has its own strengths. I can't complete with my sentinel's healer/caster killing ability on my vanguard or even on my merc.

Don't want to sound like the ******* that says "L2P", but it really looks like you don't know how to play marauder at all from reading your list. I don't understand why you keep rolling them. Better yet, I don't understand why after having so much experience with them that you still do so poorly.

Have you even tried annhilation?

Yes this class takes some skill to master no doubt about that. We cant charge into a guy then press 1 button and win the duel. thank god that we dont are an 1 ability spam class..

We have a lot of stuff to use in every situation, i tend to use pretty much everything a marauder got ( depending on who i fight).

In a 1on1 situation we have the tools to take on pretty much every other class, nothing new here. We are a dps class period.. Dunno why ppl are complaining about dying fast, we are not juggs.. With the right skill and cd ofc you can seem to take dmg like a tank, atleast for some seconds. Combingin force camo, undying rage, CoP, SW, relics and all the other stuff you can rly turn a fight.

About the cc.. we HAVE 2 of them, specing carnage will give you 2 more if specced right.

Not the best cc in game i agree on that, imo this game has too much cc involved allready.

cc in swtor is to damn noob friendly, too much spamming of cc's.

When i started playing this class at launch it seemd gimped, i died fast and other ppl were doing more dmg then me. Buuuuut when you play a class like this you have to put in a little extra, so by learning other classes abilities/cd/cc, getting some fancy new gear, learning how to get a nice flow on your abilities/cd's you will totaly wreck wz.

Im earning medals and topping the dps meter pretty much everytime.

Even if i do sick dmg and know how to counter most classes i can't excpect to stand a shine if i get jumped by 3 guys when im all alone. Like i said we are a dps class with some utility's. But our utility's has some limits, we cant always win a fight.

So to sum this up, happy with the class, we dont need more cc, we have the utility's, learn how to use them before making a post abput us beeing underpowered ;)

Guess Im just useless in pvp.. Sure I can take down most healers in a few seconds, but thats not worthwhile. We are probably one of the highest single target dps classes, but that doesnt matter either.. All that matters is getting lots of medals.. Medals = Skill and usefullness in pvp

Such a weak class we are /sarcasm off

I and I know others do not feel we are weak by far... But thank you for stating your opinion, But the fact is we aren't the weakest. Sorry.

Never had the feeling OP had with my marauder. Then again I was never carnage either. Both annihilation and rage are really good in PvP in my humble opinion (I think rage doesn't get the love it deserves at times). Annihilation feels more powerful but feels hard to play and master at times (more in PvE then in PvP). Rage is imo easier to play, harder to CC but doesn't perform as well damage wise (this is just my oppinion ofcourse). Maybe try a different spec and see how your char performs then, not all playstyles fit all the trees, obviously.

I really like my Mara he is fun to play, looks pretty cool and has 2 lightsabers. That being said Maras are the weakest PvP class in the game before 41ish and strugles alot before 50.

At 50 there are times when I feel like a killing machine and times I feel like free medals for the opisition. I often think that many on this form that constantly state how awesome Maras are tend to be sitting in full battlemasters gear rolling fresh 50s in premade groups.

I have not played all the classes yet but frm my understanding pretty much all classes do the same damage over time. This means that a Jug will do the same damage as a Mara which will do the same damage a Sorc over a timeperiod to a single target. IT seems that BW made the classes different in how the damage is delivered and utility. I also find it intersting that BW made 2 roles that are DPS only, Maras and snipers, where all others can fill different functions such as Jugg can be a tank or DPS depending on how the class is spec'd. This makes it seem like other classes can do so much more such as the Jug, you cant tell if you are geting to be going all out DPS to try chip at the tanks HPs or about to eat a 5k AE. You never have this issue with Maras, you know they will do damage at melee and take tons of damage, so very predictable.

All the people that keep saying l2p, well its a steep curve and a hard road. You have to be Johnny on the spot with your skills or your dead. Its not a forgivnig class on any level and I do think just about any other class is much easer and more forgiving.

I think the OP has valid points and I can see how it is fustrating. Will it change? Well Ill bet there are changes to every class in the first year of the game, sooner or latter some of our issues will be addressed. It may be better, it might not ever get better. In the end if you like the class play it and have fun, if you dont like to PvP with the class play something else.

To the peeps that enjoy repeating l2p all day long, go equip some cent pvp armor, pug a WZ, fight people that have 2-5k more HPs and take a vid of that. If its a skill issue none of yall would have issues owning peeps in less gear. After all Im sure most of yall have your compainions are geared out in Cent/Champ anyhow. Im sure yall have the spare com's sitting around.

Edited by Aarlis

Annihilation is such a strong spec that it's not even fair in a 1v1 situation. You're going to win. Period.

Who cares if they heal? You can interrupt so often that they get one instant ability every 6 seconds. Even against DPS it wrecks everything (tracer missile/grav round are pathetic against a 6 second CD interrupt that stops you from using that ability for 4 seconds.

Instant abilities can only be used ONCE every 6 seconds if specced in the Annihilation spec.

This is godly.

Carnage is a pile of dung, and as fun as it is, this cannot be denied.

Berserk gives you 18% of your max health back as Annihilation (and 6% to everyone in your party). It's also up about once every 20-30 seconds...

And people dare say that Carnage is viable.

Sure, Rage has some things going for it... as in it has some burst with some minor survivability. It still isn't worth using over Annihilation if your enemies have anywhere near a quarter of a brain. A good player can shut down Rage with a simple knockback right as you begin the Smash animation. You can anticipate all you want, but Juggs tend to screw you hard in this tree: they leap>push as you get ready to smash. They can be behind you where you can't see them, and still screw your combo over. Lag is a big problem when playing this tree as well, as it often causes your Smashes to appear to hit, when they really don't.

If you want "lots of medals" and the ability to move people around why don't you roll Powertech instead?

Free protection medals from just spamming taunt at people attacking your team and cashing in on the 30% damage reduction if the idiots are too busy attacking to notice you.

And in huttball you can drag people into environmental hazards and watch them burn for lots of fun.

I might even roll a vanguard just to see how many medals *I* can get by being incredibly cheap and abusing game mechanics.

Marauders in PvP are made for one thing: Melting face.

To this end you pick Annihilation spec, this gives you access to one, and empowers your other DOT to do ridiculous and hilarious things to people's facial structure.

Next, if you're not masochistic or just really really sure of yourself, you don't attack gunslingers or commandos, these guys have nifty-keen AOE knockback abilities that you don't want to get hit by, and can CC you out of your defensive CDs to boot.

Then you just hit your targets face with Battering assault, trigger either your deadly saber buff if you feel sure that they won't insta-stun you or root, or your cheap, two rage DOT with talented slow if you think they will, and the rest of the combo basically flows from that, if they hit you away and/or start channeling something, show them the error of their ways with force leap for a gap closer with built in root and interrupt.

After applying both DOTs you can just hang them like a pinãta and watch their face drip to the floor, melted.

Edited by Morticoccus
New data became available

Sure, Rage has some things going for it... as in it has some burst with some minor survivability. It still isn't worth using over Annihilation if your enemies have anywhere near a quarter of a brain. A good player can shut down Rage with a simple knockback right as you begin the Smash animation. You can anticipate all you want, but Juggs tend to screw you hard in this tree: they leap>push as you get ready to smash. They can be behind you where you can't see them, and still screw your combo over. Lag is a big problem when playing this tree as well, as it often causes your Smashes to appear to hit, when they really don't.

I agree, and while annihilation is superior in almost every aspect, rage still has two things that OP might find interesting (Imo) -- it's less gear dependant (it also seem to scale worse with better gear too) so it still performs some goodish burst even with not as good gear, and it's much easier to play. I am not advertising rage though, annihilation is bread and butter for PvP, I was trying to say that even the weaker of the trees still performs "good enough" in PvP, and even rage marauders aren't "weakest in PvP".

Edited by BesterX

Not sure if trolling or serious.

If anything marauders need some nerfs.

One of the (if not THE) highest single DPS classes ingame, with an offensive charge, rage-based mechanic (no worries of running out of resource), 99% reduction CD (sure it's 50% of your current HP but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out when to use it), bleed heals, vanish.

In regards to number 4, you are great. You are the only class who can go through fire (Force Camo and Unending Rage, amirite?).

The 6 second mezz is technically CC. It's not an in combat stun, because it is in fact CC, used for CONTROLLING CROWDS to only need to kill 1 person at a time.

Your fury thingy allows you to run faster, deal more damage (And heal yourself if you're annihilation), and do moar damage and healing to the party.

Marauds have great utility, man.

I really like my Mara he is fun to play, looks pretty cool and has 2 lightsabers. That being said Maras are the weakest PvP class in the game before 41ish and strugles alot before 50.

At 50 there are times when I feel like a killing machine and times I feel like free medals for the opisition. I often think that many on this form that constantly state how awesome Maras are tend to be sitting in full battlemasters gear rolling fresh 50s in premade groups.

I have not played all the classes yet but frm my understanding pretty much all classes do the same damage over time. This means that a Jug will do the same damage as a Mara which will do the same damage a Sorc over a timeperiod to a single target. IT seems that BW made the classes different in how the damage is delivered and utility. I also find it intersting that BW made 2 roles that are DPS only, Maras and snipers, where all others can fill different functions such as Jugg can be a tank or DPS depending on how the class is spec'd. This makes it seem like other classes can do so much more such as the Jug, you cant tell if you are geting to be going all out DPS to try chip at the tanks HPs or about to eat a 5k AE. You never have this issue with Maras, you know they will do damage at melee and take tons of damage, so very predictable.

All the people that keep saying l2p, well its a steep curve and a hard road. You have to be Johnny on the spot with your skills or your dead. Its not a forgivnig class on any level and I do think just about any other class is much easer and more forgiving.

I think the OP has valid points and I can see how it is fustrating. Will it change? Well Ill bet there are changes to every class in the first year of the game, sooner or latter some of our issues will be addressed. It may be better, it might not ever get better. In the end if you like the class play it and have fun, if you dont like to PvP with the class play something else.

To the peeps that enjoy repeating l2p all day long, go equip some cent pvp armor, pug a WZ, fight people that have 2-5k more HPs and take a vid of that. If its a skill issue none of yall would have issues owning peeps in less gear. After all Im sure most of yall have your compainions are geared out in Cent/Champ anyhow. Im sure yall have the spare com's sitting around.

Ok, I will make the video :)

Ok, I will make the video :)

1. You forgot 300k, 75k healing (with Annihilation) and any Defender medals attainable. Its rare that I'm below 7 medals.

2. Its also rare that I'm not first or second. And if I'm not, I got beat by a class spamming AOE or by another Marauder.

3. I've stated this in other threads: we're a Warrior class. We've basically traded CC for defensive skills. (Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain, Undying Rage, etc) This aside, we do have a 6 second AE CC skill that you've conveniently forgotten about. Not to mention our slow skill that is on the global CD.

4. While this can suck in Huttball, we have a pretty awesome gap closer that can be brought down to a lower CD timer through the Annihilation tree. (Or if you spec Rage, you can get a second 10m gap closer on a similar CD timer)

5. Again, while this can suck, I hardly find it game breaking. Unleash has a lousy timer, but pretty much EVERY class only has one CC breaker. They're just as likely to suffer the woes of chain CC's as we are. So this is an irrelevant point.

6. Carnage has some decent roots. (Ravage and the light saber throw thing) But we don't really need anyone to be completely rooted. We have no skills aside from Ravage (which isn't really used for it's full duration in PVP unless you're Carnage) and Force Choke (which CC's them anyway) that require us to stand still. Slow them and we're fine. Again, another irrelevant point.

7. I don't find myself squishy at all. We have a 20% damage reduction, a 50% damage reduction, and a 99% damage reduction. Not to mention Force Camo which can also be a 100% damage reduction or root/slow breaker. (Depending on how you're specc'ed) I can win 1v2's more often than not.

8. Our damage is fine. You're doing it wrong.

9. We're the Kings of 1v1, yes. But we bring a lot of great buffs to a group setting. (And obfuscate, which makes life a lot easier on tanks and healers)

10. Again, we're far from fragile. You're simply regurgitating what you've already been QQing about in this point. Irrelevant yet again.

If you can't figure this class out after you've made four of the damned things, you're definitely doing something wrong. This isn't the class for you. Rather than tell you to L2P, I instead point you to the following link:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/bounty-hunter

This is probably a little more your speed.

^This^

3. NO CC

what more do I need to say?

There are several CC abilities for Marauder. Force Choke, Force Crush, Force Charge, among many others that slow, immobilize, and stun.

I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Edited by ultimatesjk

LOL @ Marauder crying...

Try playing a IA: Operative as dps.

IA: Operative (dps) is a dead class.

There is not one single reason to take a dps IA: Operative in a PvE or PvP group that the Marauder can't fill as a much better class.

Or as a healer that another class do better.

IA: Operative is far below the bottom of all the other classes.