Need help with PVP setup

Scorponok

I'm new to Vanguard but I have a level 50 Commando and Merc that are both Assault/Arsenal. I'm looking for a build that gives a good balance between damage and survivability. The old Ironfist setup seemed great till I read they nerfed it, although I'm not sure why it's no longer viable since I'm not very high level yet. I really don't care about putting up the most damage in WZ's but I do want to put up respectable numbers. Can anyone suggest a build for me to look into or maybe have a look at this build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GoGbbRMoZMsrro0cZb.2 and explain if it wouldn't work? I really like the idea of "Charge" but if I have to I can do without it.

Thanks in advance

If you just want respectable numbers, just run around spamming a healer.

If you want to win wz's, learn your class and play with difft builds, find what works best for you, not for someone else.

When making my VG, I knew I had to choose one of three paths: high dps, low survivability....med dps, med survivability, low dps, high survivability....

I simply chose a path and learned a play style with what I had. I've seen people put up great numbers in full recruit. What was interesting were the number of people with better gear doing much less.

I appreciate that, and I am trying out different builds. I don't care about the numbers my main focus is helping my team win. The reason I asked is because I'm still new and I was hoping some of the guys that have played VG for awhile might help me avoid some pitfalls. Maybe explain which talents they've seen work well together, which ones I could bypass, etc....

I chose assault and I built around HIB (as opposed to ss). I also use AP now but for a while I sacrificed it for the aim buffer until my aim was high enough. I chose my gear aim > power > crit > surge.

Keep in mind that as assault you will do most of your dmg in 10m or less. This puts you right in the middle of everything and so for the most part, survivability might be an issue with you. My favorite thing to do is make friends with a healer. Get a pocket healer on your side, then go kill all of their healers. Happy hunting.

That's probably what I will wind up with. My guild has a few really good healers and I like being in the thick of the fight. The only thing I worry about is my endurance. I try to keep my healers alive and if I go Assault would I be killing myself using the Ion cylinder to keep guard up. Mainly could I still kill/cc in a Assault setup without using Plasma cylinder?

Very true. I do have one last question for anyone that can answer it. Which would be better for pvp Hold The Line or Storm? I can see where both would be useful, especially in Huttball, but I'm thinking Storm with the interrupt and stun.

If you are leveling the vanguard, just go assault and enjoy.

No need to worry about builds or utility.

Keep your gear up to date and just get in there and destroy.

For huttball, practice making the good grapple shots.

If you know what you are doing, you'll find yourself running over everyone, which in turn will help your team win.

Edited by Flying-Brian

I play Assault on my lvl 50 Commando so I'm pretty used to the spec although I know I will have to get in closer range as a Vanguard. I tried a few builds last night in pvp and I noticed when I went straight damage my survivability went to hell. Is there any way to change this? I have the top gear for my level, but is there maybe a nice hybrid balance that I'm overlooking?

Very true. I do have one last question for anyone that can answer it. Which would be better for pvp Hold The Line or Storm? I can see where both would be useful, especially in Huttball, but I'm thinking Storm with the interrupt and stun.

I think this is situational. Also depends on what you want to do. In Huttball for example Hold the Line is more for offense, and Storm can be used for either. That being said something I've been experimenting with, which I'm not sure if I like it yet is getting Battering Ram, along with Static Shield. Last night I was able to post the highest damage numbers i've ever seen as a tank but I believe that's because they were wearing recruit. I'm not too sure.