Why can classes still need roll on non class gear?

I just spent almost three hours (the dps and heals weren't spectacular) in a flash point, only to reach the end and have a Sage "accidentally" need roll on Smuggler/Agent Unassembled Tionese gear and win.

I understand there needing to be a roll function in the event that an item for a class not in the group drops, but why can classes still select "need" on items not for their class, especially items they can't even use??

Because of rolling being a free for all and the lack of an in party trading system of bop items to remedy items accidentally winding up in the wrong hands, stuff like this is really annoying.

I'm really hoping this will change soon.

Edited by Dylancholy

i have no idea why he rolled on tionese, unless you mean columni. if it was columni its becaue ia/smuggler helms and gloves are the easiest way to get bis mods.

also, to answer your question, because it isnt "your" loot. you can play ring around the rosie all day long with the ethics involved but the player is making just as much "use" out of it as you are, and put in the same amount of "effort" to get it. on top of that, because bioware says they can.

Oh, there are uses for other classes gear. Rip out mods, give to companions, or even just sell to a merchant. Just because it isn't a use YOU think is appropriate, doesn't mean the other player doesn't have the same right to it.

Unassembled Tionese stuff isn't gear.

Turning in a token and scrapping for mods doesn't make much sense either, because the mods are for the class. It can kind of work with the enhancement slot, but the one designated for your actual class is better.

edit: the tokens also can't be vendored.

Edited by Dylancholy

Where's the link to that? I haven't read any such thing, but the way around it is start a group and make yourself master looter. Then you can delegate loot to your hearts content.

It was in the recent Q&A. The one from last week.

They said they're going to put something between need and greed that's for scrapping mods and companion gear.

Because he CAN use it, either the mods or for a companion. Other classes put in just as much effort to get the drops, and have a shot at the loot.

Now, it wasn't polite of him, and someone doing this too me would end up on my 'do not group with' list. Maybe you should start a list like that aswell.

My god, you got ninja'd, get over it.

Also it was only Tionese.

Almost any purple 49-craft is better than this...

It's still a waste of a time investment. He can't use the gear either.

My complaint is that there are basic measures to prevent this kind of thing from happening that have been in other MMORPG's for years.

Because he CAN use it, either the mods

i mentioned this

Turning in a token and scrapping for mods doesn't make much sense either, because the mods are for the class. It can kind of work with the enhancement slot, but the one designated for your actual class is better.

I am, you're not reading mine. YOU don't decide what is usable and an appropriate use of an item. If I redeem it for an item and sell it I STILL GOT USE OF IT.

Just because it isn't what YOU would have done doesn't mean it wasn't a good use for him. He is a bit richer then he was previously.

You're clearly not reading my posts.

no, your posts are being read, they are merely incorrect. you dont have to be of that class to turn in the token, and he can equip the item to a companion without issue. perhaps he wanted the enhancement. honestly no matter the "reason" why, he is still just as entitled to it as you are. you both put forth the same amount of effort, and you both had the same chance on the roll.

I am, you're not reading mine. YOU don't decide what is usable and an appropriate use of an item. If I redeem it for an item and sell it I STILL GOT USE OF IT.

Just because it isn't what YOU would have done doesn't mean it wasn't a good use for him. He is a bit richer then he was previously.

I don't understand your argument.

Bioware have said a class need goes above a companion need or a vendoring need or scrapping for mods (which doesn't make sense unless used for companions).

So it's not that defensible.

Wow some of you people are just jerks... hope you're not in guilds cause that **** wouldn't fly.

Why?

In our guild we are TALKING to each other and if someone needs it and it's for his class he gets it.

If he doesn't need it or if it's not for any of us(class-specific) we either all use Greed or - if for example we're gearing a new 50 - one gets it to rip out the enhancements.

I don't understand your argument.

Bioware have said a class need goes above a companion need or a vendoring need or scrapping for mods (which doesn't make sense unless used for companions).

So it's not that defensible.

Again link or it wasn't ever said.

Also on a side note I am in a guild and am smart enough to know the expectations of the group I run with so things like this don't happen.

Again link or it wasn't ever said.

Also on a side note I am in a guild and am smart enough to know the expectations of the group I run with so things like this don't happen.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/dev-tracker-summary-february-13th-2012-%E2%80%93-february-20th-2012

I believe the first paragraph is what he's referring too.

The paragraph is evidence that Class-specific rolls have priority over Companion rolling, but Companion rolling has priority over Greed. Imo, that's how it should be, *IF* people use their companions. I.E, actually do their PvE dailies.

BiS slot hunters may well fit into the middle slot, too.

Edited by Dertzer

Ah, well there are a few key words like probably

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for

The OP should also have read in the next paragraph where it says

I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed.