Wireless Internet problems

Nerdsmasher

I play through a Verizon Wireless USB Modem (Living in the sticks sucks).

Anyway, on 12/20 I was able to log on play with no problems throughout the day. Now, 12/21, after about an hour of playtime my internet signal drops to nothing, causing horrendous lag. This hasn't happened in any other game, and only happens while playing SW:ToR. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or if it's a common problem with people playing over wireless connections.

Haven't heard of this one yet, generally a game won't necessarily cause a poor connection. It could indeed be bottle necking traffic somewhere and cause your network card to say "Whoa, hold up, you're trying to do way to much for me to process at once, I'm out of here..."

Run SWTOR without any other applications running that use the internet, (close any browsers, messengers etc). Run it as an Administrator as well, just for kicks and giggles. Do all the basic troubleshooting as well, ensure you have the latest drivers for your wireless card from the OEM (Manufacturer), run a spyware/virus scan.

Unfortunately I get the same problem though my ISP is in order and all, only in SWTOR I get latency up to 200k at times. Kind of strange really. And it´s the best kind when I then get the disconnected from server message and need to wait another 2h before reentering the server to continue playing. I know it´s only the first day after release but this is rather strange.

I am having the same problem at my home wireless network. Unusual extreem lag spikes, yet when I trace the ping, there is no packet loss of data.

Funniest thing is, when my connection gets red and all action stops, as I switch to desktop, wait a while and switch back to the game, connection is normal, but the second I start playing it gets back to the red numbers.

It happens often when I'm on wireless network, but when I go to my friend and plug in the cable, all is fine. I have opened ports on my wireless router as it is said in the technical support, yet that does not help.

Could be, that SW:TOR is very demanding connection wise and some wireless networks can not handle that transfer.

I am seriously thinking of running the cable to my room now.

I appreciate the responses.

Yea, everything is up to date, and I can get about an hour or two of playtime before the signal just drops for no apparent reason. I'll go from 90-120ms latency to upwards of 2000.

This statement makes me wonder if you are hitting a usage cap...

• 4 months later...

I know its months on but I've got the same problem and I don't think I'll be getting much love from BioWear. Did anyone happen to sort this out?

Also, I'm currently 2m short of the longest cable I can find to connect to my router. I'd need to knock out a wall to get where I need to by cable... :(

For me, I sometime just get lag spikes. Doesn't matter if I'm playing wired or wireless. Most days are fine, but every so often. . . . If I'm playing wireless I'll often lose connection to the server during these spikes, where if I'm wired in then I'll usually just have 5 seconds of lag or so.

My internet and router are perfectly fine. I can be watching streaming tv over wireless (love my Roku box!) and have no hitches in it at all while my connection to TOR is flapping. I was wired in this morning and getting the lag spikes every 5 minutes or so and no other internet was being used at all. Seems to happen to me about 2x every 3 weeks, so it's not often, but it's often enough that I've seen the pattern.

FWIW, the problem with lag spikes for me that I mentioned from yesterday morning persisted through last night and then this morning as well. Still on wired connection, no other internet usage going on in the house. I was using Mumble to talk to guildies and there was no interruption or lag on it. At one point (11:38 PM Mountain time -- I looked at the clock to make sure we hadn't all hit some unannounced downtime or something) all 3 of us got booted from the server and the game hung returning to server select so we had to Alt-f4 the game and restart it (I was on Taris, they were both running the Black hole dailies, so it wasn't a zone issue -- this was Juyo server), but again... Mumble never hitched, so I know my internet connection and NIC were just fine. Edited by MAgson