Is anyone else BORED with flashpoints?

Im very bored with "dungeon crawling/raiding" in general i feel it is an old concept. i had such big hopes for the fourth pillar, your character story but your story is meaningless at endlevel to.

Same here. I don't care so much about personal story at end game, I would rather see an ongoing story between both factions. Ilum could have been that, but Ilum has an ending. You do the quest line on Ilum and then you do the two flashpoints related to the planet and voila, the story of Ilum is finished.

And Black Hole, the story of that area was finished the first day you set foot in the area. As an Imp, you kill Torvix every single day. That's a very bad way to tell a story, I would rather see a story with an ongoing conflict and then have the objective to kill Torvix further down the line where it makes sense. As in, the objective to kill Torvix might appear a month after the area has been introduced.

They've done daily quests badly in this game. There's no creativity to them. Daily areas in World of Warcraft were nice WPvP hubs as well, and while there were people that were crying about that, the WPvP audience was happy. And they have every damn right to pvp on a pvp server. :/

Edited by Majspuffen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhetorical question, of course you are (that is unless you've yet to hit level 50).

The real question is which would you prefer: MORE flashpoints, or seeing the developers tinker substantialy with the existing ones so that they become more dynamic, unpredeictable, and immersive experiences?

Yes and no!

I find myself getting bored of the fast runs where you skip 3/4 of the flashpoint content to speed up the run

I mean im legacy level 49 and have 4 almost 5 50s on my current server so there is only a couple flashpoints I havent done (Did Foundry today for first time and was blown away by it. Best Flashpoint story in game by far) and clearly dont need the xp. But Im there for the social experience now more then anything else and running past everything not saying a word just is kinda dull!

I find im missing the old social aspect of the original EQ, DAoC, FFXI down times more and more.

Modern games move at such a fast pace that the socialization no longer seems to be there and thus its much much much harder to make friends in a PUG setting.

I think the insistance of burning through content with nary a word between group mates plays a big part in content getting old and stale!

Ask your self

Why is something as brilliant as Esseles or Black Talon getting old after say 20 30 minute runs (or shorter depending on group) yet players could sit at the same giant spawn every day (4-8 hours a day) for 3 weeks and have positive and enjoyable experiences back in EQ?

From my veiwpoint the missing element is the socialization that happened at the giant spawn in EQ. in 10 minutes of downtime those groups spoke more to each other then your average PUG will if it ran 4 flashpoints back to back now a days!

And thus, with every single spec of attention on the flashpoint rather then the social element

you get bored of the same thing over and over because unlike the PUGs conversing and laughing at the Giant spawn. TOR Flashpoints really are the same thing repeated.

Its not the game thats boring you in this situation.

Least thats how it appears to me.

Yeah they can get a bit boring when you know every single step you will be taking during speed runs, when you are dpsing more than healing because everyone is too overgeared and just doing it for the BH comms, when you SB every single cinematic because it's always a speed run. Pretty much the thing I'm not bored with is gearing companions, maxing out the affection and following their story-line, and ofc raiding and doing other activities with the guild, it's always fun, no matter if we do EV SM for fresh 50s or EC/TFB, or just a simple fleet datacron run. So yeah, FPs are a bit boring, could use a bit spicing up. And I'm not saying they should re-design to not allow speed runs, because that would just frustrate people more. Instead I would appreciate some more social stuff, pazaak, swoop racing and stuff like that :)

Yeah they can get a bit boring when you know every single step you will be taking during speed runs, when you are dpsing more than healing because everyone is too overgeared and just doing it for the BH comms, when you SB every single cinematic because it's always a speed run. Pretty much the thing I'm not bored with is gearing companions, maxing out the affection and following their story-line, and ofc raiding and doing other activities with the guild, it's always fun, no matter if we do EV SM for fresh 50s or EC/TFB, or just a simple fleet datacron run. So yeah, FPs are a bit boring, could use a bit spicing up. And I'm not saying they should re-design to not allow speed runs, because that would just frustrate people more. Instead I would appreciate some more social stuff, pazaak, swoop racing and stuff like that :)

Yup, I been asking for Pazzaak since Oct 08 and still think its the BIGGEST missed oppertunity in game!

TOR should have pazzaak in every cantina of every world

Special quests for special cards

Very rare drops of special cards

tournaments

Its such a obvious and easy social activity that could add meaning to cantinas!

I mean your flagged for pvp against your will so you head to cantina to sit 5 minutes (dont egt me started on that nonsense).

Do you want to sit there venting you have to spend 5 minutes doing nothing because you buffed yourself and didnt realize PUG member flagged himself, and thus you.

Or do you want to pull out your deck and have a few games and before you know it 10 minute, 30 minutes is up.

Such a obvious time filler

I agree with those who say all FPs should be converted to HMs. There are several excellent, entertaining SM flashpoints that most of us hardly ever see, because we're in the level range for them so briefly. This would be the quickest and easiest way to add more variety at level 50. Personally, I'd absolutely love a HM Cademimu or Mandalorian Raiders.

re-tuning some of the starter and mid level fp's to level 50 fps would add craploads of content. I barely did any fp's leveling any of my 8 50's. At first it was due to being on a dead server so getting lowbie groups was difficult at best with only 6-10 people on any given planet, byt the time I re-rolled on a larger server basically only did esseles/bt then soloed to 50 with quests and pvp, again no low-midrange fps.

so things like cademimu athiss etc would actually be fun to do over again alos giving you more options with the random group dailies. More 50 content for very little developer resources. They dont have to create anything really new, just tune the mobs to 50 and add gear.

re-tuning some of the starter and mid level fp's to level 50 fps would add craploads of content. I barely did any fp's leveling any of my 8 50's. At first it was due to being on a dead server so getting lowbie groups was difficult at best with only 6-10 people on any given planet, byt the time I re-rolled on a larger server basically only did esseles/bt then soloed to 50 with quests and pvp, again no low-midrange fps.

so things like cademimu athiss etc would actually be fun to do over again alos giving you more options with the random group dailies. More 50 content for very little developer resources. They dont have to create anything really new, just tune the mobs to 50 and add gear.

Don't HM's do that?

I still haven't done all the flashpoints, or even close, so I'm not bored of them. Have a couple ideas, though.

I'd like to see some cross-faction possible flashpoints so we could have something to do with friends on the other side. It would also be great for rp for those who rp. I'd also like to see a few 2+ flashpoints that would be possible to run when a full group wasn't around. The problem with that would be that the whole point of flashpoints is interaction with actual people and those could be done with companions--not what they want. Maybe there's some way to ensure that they're done with another player, or give you some kind of bonus if you do.

I'd also like to see more complex flashpoints from a story point of view, ones that resembled a quest series in the main game. And while the story in fps is what makes it possible for me to stay engaged with them, I know that there are others who who skip story after the first time and flail if others don't, so perhaps there could be a fp where it was part of the plot to do them quickly, without convo except at the beginning and end. That wouldn't be for me, but some people would probably like it.

Something new and less the same old. I only do flashpoints once and after that I don't bother doing it again since I have already seen it. Maybe content you can do in the world.. and I am not talking about dailies here.

Oh and dynamic flashpoints? Yeah I'd like that.

Yes more dynamic stuff would be cool. My suggestion: dynamic open world fps that require you to achieve objectives all over the planet, something like the BH area daily, only much much more challenging and including real bosses. How cool would it be if you do an fp and one time you face this boss and another time someone else. Also dynamic environments would help to add that dynamic real life feeling. Experience the same fp at night, day, sunset, rain, snow and thunderstorm, each condition adding entirely different mechanics to the fights. Imagine for instance some op mob/boss that only spawns at night. Would be really interesting.

Thats why I do a lot of open world pvp, its still the most diversified thing to do. Never gets boring!

I agree with those who say all FPs should be converted to HMs. There are several excellent, entertaining SM flashpoints that most of us hardly ever see, because we're in the level range for them so briefly. This would be the quickest and easiest way to add more variety at level 50. Personally, I'd absolutely love a HM Cademimu or Mandalorian Raiders.

Also I would love to see some new Foundry hm. Come on BW, Revan is like THE superstar of the entire SW galaxy, you cant waste him on some faceroll fp.

Edited by Sithcreep

I would personally like to see Nightmare Mode FPs where two things take place:

• CROWD CONTROL makes a return. This forces groups to socialize to some extent. It also gives room for error, and a need for coordination.
  • "Trash skipping" dies I think trash skipping is absolutely ridiculous, and the reason why groups just BLAZE through FPs, and really trivializing the content.

I absolutely love trash pulls like the first pull in Red Reaper, the 5 droid pull in Athiss, the 4-boss fight in Mandalorian Raiders or HELL... heroic missions! I have often found my group dead or hanging on by a string at all of these - despite group experience. Oh hey look at that... I mentioned all the FPs that aren't HM yet too! So that was a great suggestion as well.

There is more satisfaction and less bore to me when there is social interaction, but more importantly, topped with a REAL level of difficulty.

TL/DR: Trash skipping, lack of crowd control dynamics, and no incentive to communicate leaves for a shallow experience.

Edited by justgladtobeme

Bioware, unfortunately, chose to make skipping trash a viable option in TOR. I was way over level on my main character, so I never did many runs of Athiss or Mandalorian Raiders. I got tired of looking at EKG strips earlier this morning, so I decided to pop on and give group finder a whirl with a low-level alt.

The group (without mentioning that they were going to do this) skipped most of the shyracks and several of the Temple Guardians in Athiss. It took more time to avoid the trash than it did to kill it.

I don't know why Bioware chose to do this, but I do find myself very bored with an FP when groups decide to skip most of the fighting.

The mistake all MMORPGS make is they make instances/dungeons etc. to linear. If they had randomized mobs, events and multiple paths you can take they would be a lot more fun for longer.

I remember one of the early previews of SWTOR saying that you could unlock different paths in flashpoints depending on what classes you have in the group. But that just isn't the case :(

Edited by NasherUK

well, in some of the lowlv FP you can choose unlock a shortcut, but so far i´ve only seen one instance with 2 different routes. BT takes you a different route depending on whether you let the captain live or kill him. Only difference is 1 boss, but still it´s a difference.

• 7 months later...

I haven't seen different /classes/ making a difference, but as another OC said, I've seen different class skills giving the group access to shortcuts which would technically be different paths to the same end.

Although, in the HM 55s, you usually don't want to take those shortcuts since it sometimes means not getting enough enemies to trigger the Bonus Boss. :/

I get bored if the run is too easy. If we one-shot everything and no one is ever even close to dying, it's a pretty boring run to me. Especially when the boss is pretty much "dps it till it's dead!"-thing (or "dps till it's dead and kill the adds!"), and many bosses are.

You necro an 8 month old thread for this gem of a reply?

The funny part is the since this old thread was posted there has been zero new flash points added, even with the expansion.

But you know why I am really bored? I am stuck playing the same 4 HM level 55 FPs over and over again. BW could have at least the curiosity of scaling some of the old FPs to level 55, like the two that do not already have HMs, so we have a grand total of 6. But apparently that's a lot of content.

The funny part is the since this old thread was posted there has been zero new flash points added, even with the expansion.

But you know why I am really bored? I am stuck playing the same 4 HM level 55 FPs over and over again. BW could have at least the curiosity of scaling some of the old FPs to level 55, like the two that do not already have HMs, so we have a grand total of 6. But apparently that's a lot of content.

One thing that recently revitalized the flashpoints for me, is I got a close friend to stat playing TOR for the first time.

I created yet another toon, and we're leveling together. Since I'm a bit overpowered with a +500 presence bonus, we're ignoring the side quests and most of the planetary quests, but focusing on Heroics and Flashpoints. Because every single of these are new to HIM, and he's excited about them, I myself have started to get excited about them all over again.

It's actually an interesting phenomenon. Now, I can't wait to get him to 50 and show him EV and KP, despite the fact that I've run them so many times they haven't been interesting to me in like forever.

I am at the stage I can't be assed with the flashpoints. Before I ran them because the operations kept things fresh but now because I can't run 50 ops at level 55 using group finder all I can do is run FPs or grind dailies. No idea why this is not getting fixed but think it's obvious now that it's not. Unsubbed.