The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Do whatever you want, I can say I never had any problem with healers or tanks in my group, not a single word, not a single leave. So I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. As I said I'm talking about mobs where I know it makes zero difference for the group. Mobs that are mostly dead before they can reach me.

If you have such a burning desire to be first into the fray, roll yourself a tank and have at it. Don't expect me to put up with it if you end up in a group I'm tankin for.

same here. I just ignore them so that I never have to group with them again. I know I should say something, but more often than not, dps like that means i have no time to say anything without contributing to a wipe. and sometimes they have gotten me too annoyed to say anything.
This is the danger, yeah. It's usually not worth my time as Tank / Heals to argue with people who annoy me, especially since the type of player that gets flippant about group "etiquette" also tends to be belligerent and impatient if you try to discuss it with them. So, I just finish the run compensating for them, then put them on Ignore.

Then they start a thread on the forums asking why their DPS queue takes forever. :p

Thought I'd share mine.

I was tanking on a guardian with two guildies (gunslinger dps and scoundrel healer) on a lvl 55 HM FP. We got paired with a sentinel dps. Started the first couple of pulls, noticed he wasn't attacking things I was tanking (cc'd or mez'd), though typically not a big deal. We were all kind of confused because he was just getting crushed. We wrote it off as our healer just wasn't paying attention due to him being on a phone call. A little latter, he pulls aggro on a weak mob which I missed on my aoe taunt, and he gets trashed. Now I'm concerned, because our healer is no longer on the phone.

So I look at his hp; he has a little less than 14k hp. I'm like "oh, he's wearing aweful gear". So I take a quick peak and see he's wearing mostly greens and only one relic (a lvl 19 one). "Meh, I've seen worse" I think. We get to the to the wookie boss (Cadimemu) and I notice he doesn't have any buffs on. He hadn't died at that point, he came close a few times when he was picking up the trash I didn't have aggro on, but hadn't died yet.

So we buff him and go onto the wookie boss. We some how manage to kill the boss (I died once and the sent died once) even though there were 7 or 8 groups of adds. We res him and then over voice I hear my healer say "haha, good thing you haven't looked at this guys gear yet Xiij" (in my guild I've got a reputation of being a 'gear nazi'). So I say, "What do you mean? I looked at it, he's wearing 55 greens, not the worst gear I've seen".

I was wrong, waaay wrong. After my healer tells me to take another look, I notice that despite the items are in fact 55 greens, they were not strength items. He had a large quantity of cunning and willpower items... This made me laugh because he had asked for the cunning drop the wookie dropped, we all assumed it was for Doc, probably not though.

I'm currently in an HM 50 FP with a Melee Sorc.

I'm not joking, this guy is running in and swinging his saber like a pro.

Addendum: He's also using force storm single target. Lol.

Edited by CyberTronX

I'm currently in an HM 50 FP with a Melee Sorc.

I'm not joking, this guy is running in and swinging his saber like a pro.

Addendum: He's also using force storm single target. Lol.

IF you are all lvl 55 or most of you, why not? I'd do that as well just for the fun of it. There is not more better chances for lvl 55 sorc to enjoy his lightsaber than lvl 50 FP.

IF you are all lvl 55 or most of you, why not? I'd do that as well just for the fun of it. There is not more better chances for lvl 55 sorc to enjoy his lightsaber than lvl 50 FP.

Swing at a training dummy all day. Just don't do it with me in an FP because I'm going to tell you you're wasting my time. It also figures this guy using nothing but his basic saber attack, and force storm gets the mount at the end of the run and needs on all the drops. It's hilariously fail.

Melee is the right way to play a Sorc bro :cool:

All these months I've been doing it wrong!

But seriously, when I'm a sorc dps, and another sorc dps is with me, and I can tell he's playing his spec/class extremely poorly, it's slightly irksome. It's like they're embarrassing your class by playing that badly.

Maybe he felt like there's no need for any tactics on trash. I wouldn't be so bold to do that in ops, but in FPs, when I know it will make zero difference, I'll pull before tank without thinking twice.

Your yardstick of "good group behavior" could use some adjustment.

Derping just for the lulz should be saved for runs with friends. If you're in a pug group, it's better to have a little more courtesy and professionalism.

Edited by Khevar

Derping just for the lulz should be saved for runs with friends. If you're in a pug group, it's better to have a little more courtesy and professionalism.

This. There is a certain amount of screwing around I will accept or even do myself in PuGs, trying to knock piles of mobs off ledges, set up some silly force pull + knockback type stuff. But then again I'm tanking, and even when I'm messing around, the net effect will speed up the run.

Derping around for the sake of derp or annoying other people however, is just impolite, as derp isn't usually a benefit to the group.

This sorc however, was clearly just not that good at the class. Probably thought they were doing a decent job, who knows. I accept these people, offer advice once, and if they don't take it to heart, ignore and move along.

So, I just finish the run compensating for them, then put them on Ignore.

Then they start a thread on the forums asking why their DPS queue takes forever. :p

Or they will queue as Healer...

And you don't want to see a healer jumping on mobs before the tank or even the assigned DPS. The tank struggling for life when trying to fix the mess. I endured this few time.

Or they will queue as Healer...

I have actually seen the opposite -- a healer (Commando) queued as DPS, who kept healing even when the whole group was within 5% of full health and in no danger whatsoever. I've also seen this where a person was apparently trying to dual-box (they didn't admit to it, but it seemed like it) as a tank and healer combo... needless to say it was pretty awful; after several wipes we finally made it to the end and the tank repeatedly ended up facing away from the boss while the "DPS" kept "accidentally" healing.

Lately though I have to say I'd prefer something like this over the impatient attitude I keep encountering in GF. I actually had a level 55 tank wipe the group in Kaon for no reason because of his impatience. Then he cussed about it and barked at people to hurry up when they were trapped in combat due to his boneheaded decisions. I totally understand the desire to push through stuff but sometimes people are idiots about it.

About weird people, the CC (crowd control) maniacs. They want to use the most CC available on any pack, even sometimes on trash. It might have saved some from a wipe, but it usually slow down the whole run. It become annoying when they CC the Strong in the middle of the pack and frown when you use an Area of Effect power to clean the pull breaking their lovely CC before due time.

About weird people, the CC (crowd control) maniacs. They want to use the most CC available on any pack, even sometimes on trash. It might have saved some from a wipe, but it usually slow down the whole run. It become annoying when they CC the Strong in the middle of the pack and frown when you use an Area of Effect power to clean the pull breaking their lovely CC before due time.

Well seeing that you can't use CC on bosses, i'd expect CC to be used on trash. And there are a few packs that it is worth throwing CC onto, e.g. in Mando Raiders those 3rd and 4th pulls pack a punch, and as a healer I appreciate the CC getting thrown out.

I know this isn't a group finder problem, but it's the story of a guy that we ended up being stuck with.

My Imp guild used to be the alt guild of a large Republic guild on the Harbinger. Then we picked up a lot of Imperial players who were leaving another Imperial guild, so now my Imp guild just has a few of the original Republic alts and a lot of strong Imperial players.

One of our republic alts recently got to level 51 as a sniper. Most of us are clearing S&V HM; we picked up the republic alt for EV HM to see how he plays. The whole run, we were noticing that we aren't clearing bosses as quickly as we should, despite most of us being way overgeared and overlevelled.

We see cunning Hazmat earpieces and boots drop, and we notice the Sniper greeds them. I also win the cunning ear with a greed roll. We inspect his gear; he has two str/surge/def implants and an aim/defense/acc ear. I tell him "Hey <name>, want this earpiece? It looks like an upgrade for you."

And he responds "No thanks, the one I'm wearing has more endurance."

We just move on and get to the Infernal Council. He picks up his guy right away, but he's the last one to finish, by a long shot. We all gather to watch him and notice that he's not got any procs or buffs from spec at all; he's just firing plain Snipes and Ambushes with 2.5 second casts. He managed to get to level 51 without knowing that it's possible to spec your skill tree.

We could talk to him and try to help him fix his playstyle, but I think the consensus is that no amount of help will ever make him a viable DPS in S&V HM or any top content.

vanguard dps that use full auto

l o l

Not gonna lie, before I looked up my rotation, every time I got a dps spot (queued both at low levels) I'd sit at range. That went on till about after hammer station, when I looked things up and realized that um no, I really should be in melee :D Least I figured it out on my own though :p

I guess I'd be the weird person some folks met in Group Finder earlier this week. Let me explain...

I started playing when the game went free-to-play last year, and my first character was a Jedi Sage (force wizard!). Over the next few months I threw some bucks at the game here and there until I finally figured out I'd actually save some money by becoming a subscriber, so I did. Eventually I got my Sage to level 50 and beat the First Son. (Yay! Inspirational speech!)

What now? Guess it's time to get into some late-game flashpoints. So I queue up as a healer. I join up with a group for Battle of Ilum and we're off. About a third of the way through the flashpoint, one of the DPSs asks me 'what are you healing with?' I didn't think I was doing a bad job, though there were a few fights where it was hard keeping up with everything that was going on -- I figured that was just par for the course.

Turns out that the healing pattern I'd been using since level 12: Rejuvenate/Deliverance/Deliverance, was, in a word, sub-optimal.

"Try using Healing Trance after Rejuvenate, see if that helps," said the DPS. I did, and after the next fight, she commented, "That was much better, thanks."

Not only did I feel a lot smarter after that, but I got the urge to roll a new Sage, both so that I'd have someone to pass my inheritance gear on to, and so I could do lots more flashpoints armed with my new healing knowledge. Don't be afraid to offer to teach someone, even if they seem like they shouldn't still be a newbie!

Edited by Pauper_Ill

Vanguards that think they're RDPS...
I actually see a lot of Operatives / Scoundrels at lower levels who stay in Cover from 30m away and shoot ranged attacks the entire fight.

I guess they don't notice the pattern of their Skill trees, or class abilities, and just think the whole Agent / Smuggler class is a ranged DPS and one of them gets Stealth for giggles. :confused:

We could talk to him and try to help him fix his playstyle, but I think the consensus is that no amount of help will ever make him a viable DPS in S&V HM or any top content.
You would be surprised how far most players can grow once they're given instruction and pointed to guides. Sometimes it takes time — change is overwhelming for people, especially when they have a lot to fix — but I've seen some amazing turn-arounds in my time with MMOs. :)

Hell, I probably don't even want to think about the way I played the first time I leveled a character in WoW. ;)

I guess I'd be the weird person some folks met in Group Finder earlier this week. Let me explain...
I wouldn't say so. You understood how your class worked, how specs worked, how to do the role you queued for, and how to use your tools. You just weren't reading your Skill points very carefully. And you actually talked and listened when given advice.

Overall you sound fine compared to most of the madness being discussed here, just inexperienced — like we all were at first. ;)

Edited by SW_display_name

Honestly, I usually don't do any of those, maybe like once in 10 FPs or so. I just wanted to point out that it's no big deal (at least to me). lvl 50 FPs are like carving a cake for lvl 55 group anyway. They would probably do it faster using their basic attacks than lvl 50 group taking the whole thing seriously.

When I was leveling an Imp alt, I kept being que'd with a sorc who:

1) Que'd as healer but refused to heal. If someone asked for heals he did not answer. Thankfully my friend que'd with me, and she could field respec into heals.

2) Was clearly spec'd in DPS tree. Did not answer when someone told him not to que as healer if he wanted to DPS.

3) Ran ahead of tank and aggro'd multiple groups. Wouldn't even offheal himself and died a lot. LOL

It was both annoying and funny at the same time seeing this guy go kamikaze and die over and over. We kept forgetting to put him on ignore, so that's why we ran into him so many times.

If someone is qued in a role and do not perform it I kick them right away. You can't play a 55 FP without a tank and a healer.

Edited by Ottoattack

Looks like he/she may have been so unlucky to only meet people like you during levels 1-50 hence why he reached 51 without knowing some basics. While I had RPG experience when first starting to play TOR and tried to read all tooltips as they were popping up in the game, I sure as hell learned a lot as well from experienced players who offered kind and helpful tips and answered my noob questions or helped with some tutorial parts I simply missed. Now for some people, it may be the very first RPG game they're playing, doesn't mean they won't be good in future. You weren't exactly "getting it all" during your first RPG experience either.