Free-to-Play Preview #1

CourtneyWoods

REGARDING CHARACTER CREATION/SELECTION

A number of post have already touched on this and I too would like to know more about this.

Preamble:

I currently have a friend who is on the free trial and slowly trying out the game. He has created a Sith "Sith Warrior" and is currently at level 9 (took him over 3 weeks to get here, he has very little free time :)). He is enjoying the character and the game immensely and is planning on choosing the Juggernaut advanced class when the time comes.

Question:

When the game goes free to play, will he still be able to play this character or will it now be locked (in essence forcing him to start over again with a Human/Cyborg/Zabrak)?

In other words: is the restriction mentioned in the preview *only* on character creation or is it *also* in effect for currently created characters?

(NOTE: I plan on staying a subscriber as long as I'm playing SWTOR. But I do play enough to justify that. My friend on the other hand, really is unable to justify subscribing to something he is able to play for maybe an hour a week. I think that Free2Play is a great model for him and others like him. I really don't get why so many people are talking of dropping their subscription when F2P comes as if it is a mandatory change. F2P is "another" option to play and *NOT* the only way.)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get why so many people are talking of dropping their subscription when F2P comes as if it is a mandatory change. F2P is "another" option to play and *NOT* the only way.)

Here is my case: I'm a student so there are times (months) when it'll be hard for me to find enough time to play in order to justify the subscription BUT I may have some spare time so I'd like to play SW:TOR (like your friend does). Fortunately, there are also times when I have more free time (like when I only have to study for my exams) and I can spend more time with TOR. In this case, I won't have any problem to pay a subscription 'cause I wouldn't feel like wasting my money!

Edited by RickyBOL

regarding character creation/selection

question:

When the game goes free to play, will he still be able to play this character or will it now be locked (in essence forcing him to start over again with a human/cyborg/zabrak)?

In other words: Is the restriction mentioned in the preview *only* on character creation or is it *also* in effect for currently created characters?

^ This, is exactly what I believe should be added in, or at least be addressed so some of us can play worry-free.

Hey I have a couple more suggestions about things that should definately be restricted at free to play,

Loading Screens---------------Limited Access

Croud Control in Stunball-------------------Limited Access

Dancers Outfitts---------------More Limited Accesss

General Chat----------------Limited Access

Hood Toggling----------------Limited Access(or any access

I will start by saying that I pay my subscription fee every month and will continue to do so until I un-install this game from my computer and quit playing. I used to be all worried about the impact of free to play on this game, now I am more insulted at the amount of time wasted implementing it, when they could have been doing something productive. With this new list of free to play restrictions I suspect this will go over about as successfully as the free trial to lvl 15 did.

I am a subscriber, and will continue to be one. My question to any Dev is this: Will my cartel coins that I am showing now be PER CHARACTER, or PER ACCOUNT. I have 1500 coins now, so will each character have 1500, or will i have to split them up? If it is per character, will new characters I create get 1500 coins, or will they start at zero? If they start at zero, I would be better served to create characters now so when FTP launches they are sitting on a stack of coins.

Devs, please respond to this, as it has a major impact on new characters for those of us that are subscirbers.

For those worried about their existing characters when they go FTP, this was on the FTP FAQ:

"What happens to my existing characters if I become a Free-to-Play member?

We will not be deleting any characters from player accounts. Any characters already existing on your account at the time of the Free-to-Play launch will still be available to you afterwards. The choice of which of your characters are active under the Free-to-Play system is entirely up to you, and you can choose from any of your existing characters with no restriction other than the number of active character slots available. "

I am a subscriber, and will continue to be one. My question to any Dev is this: Will my cartel coins that I am showing now be PER CHARACTER, or PER ACCOUNT. I have 1500 coins now, so will each character have 1500, or will i have to split them up? If it is per character, will new characters I create get 1500 coins, or will they start at zero? If they start at zero, I would be better served to create characters now so when FTP launches they are sitting on a stack of coins.

Devs, please respond to this, as it has a major impact on new characters for those of us that are subscirbers.

I am 99.9999999% certain that is per account, like other MMOs. They're not going to give people with 20 characters 100 dollars worth of cartel coins while giving people with 1 character 5 dollars worth (or whatever 1500 CC is worth).

Edited by HarleysRule

Ouch, so with 8 char slots your 150 cartel coins a month for subbing will give each toon about 20? They should bind cartel purchases to your legacy then so all your characters get whatever you buy. Or hopefully all the cartel stuff is just fluff and has no influence on stats/game play.

Ouch, so with 8 char slots your 150 cartel coins a month for subbing will give each toon about 20? They should bind cartel purchases to your legacy then so all your characters get whatever you buy. Or hopefully all the cartel stuff is just fluff and has no influence on stats/game play.

It won't be just fluff items , there is going to be gear to help you level from 1-50 ( no end game gear though ). Also armor skins , which are only available in the cash shop. Anyways with news of this video surely we are close to getting it all implemented now.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Btw I have something in my mind that haunts me: i'm a subscriber now so I can access lot of things (btw I really think I'm going to create that new pureblood sith warrior I had in mind in very short time) like (quite) all the species, in-game credits payed inventory expansions, 3 crew skills and other things.

What will happen to what I already have IF i choose not to be a subscriber anymore? My main has 3 crew skills at 400 but f2p players can only have 1 crew skill, so my question is: what happen to the other 2 if I become a f2p player? The same question applies to everything else I have NOW as a subscriber and I'm using NOW.

I'd like to know more about it 'cause it'll be REALLY disappointing to lose everything (I mean DELETED) 'cause I choosed to become a F2P. I could understand a lock on features F2P players are not supposed to have but I won't like it because I've already payed something. I mean, as a former subscriber I think I should have access to everything I could have until the end of my subscription.

Let's say that someday every character can have 4 crew skills. When I was a subscriber the game only allowed 3 cw so 3 are the cw I should have. Now I'm a F2P player and Bioware decides that cw can be 4 BUT only for subscribers. So it's ok that I should buy the 4th skill on the cartel market OR subscribe again and gain that new feature "free" even when my new subscription will end. I hope it's clear what I mean and I'd like to have answers about this topic :D

They've already said that characters with invalid races for F2P or extra toons will not be deleted. I would assume same is true with crewskills, 2 woudl be grayed out and unsuable (of have an icon that say "subscribe today" or links to pack to buy the option. They won't delete anything you loose access too, infact they will probably make sure you can still see it hoping to lure you into paying for it.

I only have 2 issues. First, the species. They are all equal in terms of stats, so why limit them? Seems pretty pointless. Also, the warzones. I myself am an on/off PVP gamer, and am dissapointed in the idea of a limit that is so small. Really, 3 a week? I, personally don't see a point to the limit in general. I wouldn't have minded the cap increase and new planet, because the core is still there, but to eliminate or reduce so many things common to the game is quite confusing.

REGARDING CHARACTER CREATION/SELECTION

(NOTE: I plan on staying a subscriber as long as I'm playing SWTOR. But I do play enough to justify that. My friend on the other hand, really is unable to justify subscribing to something he is able to play for maybe an hour a week. I think that Free2Play is a great model for him and others like him. I really don't get why so many people are talking of dropping their subscription when F2P comes as if it is a mandatory change. F2P is "another" option to play and *NOT* the only way.)

So the game should be entirely free for anyone who is busy? This is a business. The truth is once they stop making "enough" (being worth the expenditure of resources) money the servers get unplugged. So if your friend cares that much about not paying he/she should just reroll now and save the heartache. Otherwise he/she can shell out the extra couple of bucks to use a different race for said character.

Either way I need your frerind paying into this game so I can continue to play.

Looks good. But as a paying subscriber, why are you giving the F2p people only 3 Warzones per week???????? This shouldn't even be on the table, either unlimited or a high number, I want these people to increase the number of Warzones running on the servers especially in off peek, 3 Warzones is nothing, it's just nothing, what if they get in a Warzone that has 1 minute left. End of story that number most rise or the whole of the Internet will lash out on swtor again.

You just have to increase that number. If you want to give the a taste.

And imagine if they were all Huttball on any given week, lol.

Btw I have something in my mind that haunts me: i'm a subscriber now so I can access lot of things (btw I really think I'm going to create that new pureblood sith warrior I had in mind in very short time) like (quite) all the species, in-game credits payed inventory expansions, 3 crew skills and other things.

What will happen to what I already have IF i choose not to be a subscriber anymore? My main has 3 crew skills at 400 but f2p players can only have 1 crew skill, so my question is: what happen to the other 2 if I become a f2p player? The same question applies to everything else I have NOW as a subscriber and I'm using NOW.

I'd like to know more about it 'cause it'll be REALLY disappointing to lose everything (I mean DELETED) 'cause I choosed to become a F2P. I could understand a lock on features F2P players are not supposed to have but I won't like it because I've already payed something. I mean, as a former subscriber I think I should have access to everything I could have until the end of my subscription.

Let's say that someday every character can have 4 crew skills. When I was a subscriber the game only allowed 3 cw so 3 are the cw I should have. Now I'm a F2P player and Bioware decides that cw can be 4 BUT only for subscribers. So it's ok that I should buy the 4th skill on the cartel market OR subscribe again and gain that new feature "free" even when my new subscription will end. I hope it's clear what I mean and I'd like to have answers about this topic :D

I play another game that went f2p and I'm guessing it'll be something similar. If you have 12 characters and go f2p then, when you first log in, you have to choose the 3 you want. You also have to choose the one skill you want and lose the rest (well, not quite lose, they just remain unavailable until you go back to being a paid sub).

Nothing was deleted. It just became unavailable.

You may even be able to purchase a character slot unlock and either roll a new character or unlock one of the others you have.

The other game also had a new 'coin' added in the exact same structure cartel coins have. The other game became a store fest with a million (exaggerated) vanity items added.

That game goes the way of the dodo at the end of november this year, lol

And to those that might ask that if they go f2p why should they lose any of the content they have 'paid' for. Here's what I keep getting told (by friends). You didn't pay for that content, you paid to play that content, not own it. Stop paying and why should you be able to play the content?

Edited by macabdul

I tend to trust only what I see and read. You can't blame someone for doing something you SUPPOSED he shouldn't do :)

So why bother asking? Do you really think people like you and me could in any way answer your question?

I have experience of going f2p. Nothing was deleted, it was just unavailable until I subbed again.

I was able to purchase the expansions and other content with the 'currency' they added and can even purchase that currency for rl money and can't see why this game would be in any way different.

They want your money, they are a business. Where is the business in deleting forever anything you have?

First of all, I just resubbed, but I was here when the game launched. Most of my characters are Purebloods. If I decide to switch to F2P I understand that my characters will not be erased. However, since mine are already purebloods, will I still be able to play them?

Serious question What can f2p players expect when starting out on the dying Apac servers

Will they be met with a small population of extremely angry players

Please fix these servers so the Apac f2p players have something worth logging into each day

And not the experience us paying customers have received for months

Players are rerolling off these servers due to a lack of action on biowares part compounding the issue

In their current state these server will hardly promote any good for this game

Edited by denpic

Not a fan of the "packs" at all. If people are going to spend coins that they purchased with real money or coins they earned from subscribing (which also costs real money), then they should be able to get an exact item. I think it is a HORRIBLE idea to have these "packs" where certain items are not available for direct purchase and instead are only available as a possible random result from a pack. Based on developer comments elsewhere, that's what was said too....that certain items would only be available through packs. So if I want a particular item, I might have to buy 10 packs just to get it because of random luck as to what's in the pack? If I have to RE an item 20 times in the game before I hit on a schematic, fine....even though that's annoying enough as it is. But if I'm paying real money and have to purchase packs over and over to finally get the item I want, then that's just plain stupid. Then I end up paying for a bunch of stuff I never wanted in the first place. That's going to just lead to really bad experiences by your customers.

Also, by this video it appears there will be lightsaber crystals for sale. I really hope some of these colors like purple, white, etc. are available for purchase. While you're at it, how about adding some new colors into the store that aren't even in the game right now? Even KOTOR 2 had colors such as silver, viridian and bronze.