The Best Duo

Atiris

Hello all. I've been playing SWTOR since beta and then early access, but took a long time off once 1.6 came out. I'm returning and I have the possibility of bringing a friend with me. I have always played this game solo but it looks like I may be leveling with my friend. I was wondering what classes go well together in a leveling and PvP environment. I'll give you guys a bit of background first:

Before I had quit, I had a level 50 Jedi Shadow and a 46 Sith Sorcerer. I played the Shadow well, especially when Kinetic Combat DPS was prime in PvP, but then the mechanics changed and Infiltration became the top DPS spec to be. I also played the Sith Sorcerer really well with several years of experience playing a "Mage" class when I use to play a Warlock in WoW. I enjoyed the mechanics from both of these classes and learned a lot about my playstyle.

1. I do not like playing an all out tank. I like to see big numbers, kill opponents quickly and effectively, but also have utility to help peel and support my teammates when they are having issues. This is what I liked about Kinetic Combat. The DPS was sustainable and although it never matched the burst or high end damage of Sentinels or Infiltration spec, I still managed to do a good amount of DPS while also being able to apply Guard and taunts.

2. Through my years playing WoW, I thrive as a DPS class and I feel that I am fairly well at controlling games. In WoW, I often played my Warrior along side my brother's Paladin for some destructive BG's and as expected, the results were devastating. I could dive back into that role and have my friend roll a healer, but aside from Guardians and Juggernauts, I'm not sure what class can have the utility to support a healer as DPS.

3. My primary class in WoW was a Warlock and I felt like I get a lot of that thrill from playing a Sorcerer. I would say that out of all the classes i've played, I understand and play the Sorcerer the best. I've excelled as a healer, posting numbers well beyond a million in pre-55 matches (don't see those numbers often, not even from operatives or scoundrels). And I feel like I can play the two DPS classes effectively and accurately. I would not mind rerolling the class to play with my friend (despite the fact that I've nearly finished the inquisitor and consular's storylines already) but what class should my friend roll to go well with a sorcerer?

I'm not looking for answers like "You can roll anything man!" though that is obviously the best response. I'm looking for someone to help point us in the right direction, especially since my friend has no experience playing SWTOR so he will be learning everything for the first time. Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Atiris

Hello all. I've been playing SWTOR since beta and then early access, but took a long time off once 1.6 came out. I'm returning and I have the possibility of bringing a friend with me. I have always played this game solo but it looks like I may be leveling with my friend. I was wondering what classes go well together in a leveling and PvP environment. I'll give you guys a bit of background first:

Before I had quit, I had a level 50 Jedi Shadow and a 46 Sith Sorcerer. I played the Shadow well, especially when Kinetic Combat DPS was prime in PvP, but then the mechanics changed and Infiltration became the top DPS spec to be. I also played the Sith Sorcerer really well with several years of experience playing a "Mage" class when I use to play a Warlock in WoW. I enjoyed the mechanics from both of these classes and learned a lot about my playstyle.

1. I do not like playing an all out tank. I like to see big numbers, kill opponents quickly and effectively, but also have utility to help peel and support my teammates when they are having issues. This is what I liked about Kinetic Combat. The DPS was sustainable and although it never matched the burst or high end damage of Sentinels or Infiltration spec, I still managed to do a good amount of DPS while also being able to apply Guard and taunts.

2. Through my years playing WoW, I thrive as a DPS class and I feel that I am fairly well at controlling games. In WoW, I often played my Warrior along side my brother's Paladin for some destructive BG's and as expected, the results were devastating. I could dive back into that role and have my friend roll a healer, but aside from Guardians and Juggernauts, I'm not sure what class can have the utility to support a healer as DPS.

3. My primary class in WoW was a Warlock and I felt like I get a lot of that thrill from playing a Sorcerer. I would say that out of all the classes i've played, I understand and play the Sorcerer the best. I've excelled as a healer, posting numbers well beyond a million in pre-55 matches (don't see those numbers often, not even from operatives or scoundrels). And I feel like I can play the two DPS classes effectively and accurately. I would not mind rerolling the class to play with my friend (despite the fact that I've nearly finished the inquisitor and consular's storylines already) but what class should my friend roll to go well with a sorcerer?

I'm not looking for answers like "You can roll anything man!" though that is obviously the best response. I'm looking for someone to help point us in the right direction, especially since my friend has no experience playing SWTOR so he will be learning everything for the first time. Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Atiris

Of course any class will do with sorc. but if you must have something that has a huge impact on you both taking heroic 4's together...

I would say have your friend go mercenary. That way you both heal.. your first comp is tank his is heals...

And you are both able to have 2 long Crowd Controls to take down 2 mans and 4 mans with ease. Also you both have decent AOE dmg able to blow through crowds of mobs faster than say a sorc / op. You are also both Ranged

You may say why not Operative they can do that to... because first off they are melee dmg orientated which is not a compliment to the sorc... and the sorc cannot stealth and smuggle aoe stealth takes a while to get so just not worth bothering. Besides being both ranged and aoe specced merc/sorc and time their aoe abilities together to constantly auto kill most things.

My first thought off your first paragraph was playing a Shadow & Scoundrel as it's really fun to have two stealthies with one that can tank and one that can heal. My friend and I have leveled this duo a couple times and love it in both questing and PVP.

I don't know if you want to play another Shadow though after reading on (it's not really clear). If your favorite WOW class is the DPS Warrior, I would probably suggest a Sentinel with your friend playing anything that heals (Commando is my personal favorite).

If you want to play a Consular again, then have your friend roll a Guardian or Vanguard (again, I prefer Vanguard having leveled both to 49+).

Your question is very vague (you love casters, but lean toward melee; you like to off tank, but excel at heals). It makes it extremely difficult not to say "You can roll anything, man!"

You can roll anything, man! I'm currently leveling my Vanguard after a 8 month hiatus and am soloing level 52 elite/champion mobs with the healer companion on Makeeb without much effort. This game is really balanced for playing whatever you want, however you want. The only time it truly matters if for PVE content (Ops/Flashpoints) as you'll benefit from shorter queues by having a tank and/or healer.

(suggestions all in Republic for consistency, feel free to swap for the appropriate mirror classes)

Edited by TheSidehatch

You hate to hear this, but it's more important he's enjoying his class than him complimenting yours. That being said, it never hurts. When I roll an alt to help friends level I usually try to take a character that's strong at the things his is weak at;

If we'd mainly PvE:

Is he a mDPS or Tank? I make sure I'm at range and with the possibility to respec heal to allow fast Flashpoint queue's.

Is he a rDPS or Healer? I make sure I take a class with the possibility to spec to tank to allow fast Flashpoint queue's.

Bonus points for having 1 60 second CC for heroics/Flashpoints in our duo and more bonus points for being the same non-advanced class so we're always on the same page class-questwise (assuming you split up and do them alone to speed up the progress. On planets not a big problem, filler quest between planets, oh my days. Downside is how-ever you'll also need the same gear (though it hasn't given me issues so far.)

The range difference I really enjoy since it gives me more ways of keeping eachother safe. Sorcerer/Mercanary in the form of off-heals (or full on healing) and Sniper in ways of taking threat, making the opponent walk 25-30m, 6 seconds damage free, yay! Obviously for mDPS/Tank and him/her as Ranged/Healer the other way around. In any case I highly recommend that either of you is able to respec heal or tank to make queues bareable (2x DPS queues are the only thing worse than a solo DPS queue.) PS: Respec is free (for Subs) and there's the Legacy perk for 200k to do it where-ever. ^^ Make sure you don't make a healer/tank combination whilst questing together, it will go so slow.

Examples: Assassin/Sorcerer (you'd be amazed how much you can skip with Mind Trap)

Powertech/Mercanary

For PvP mainly I'd focus on being able to fulfill different roles. For example if you queue as 2 healers, there's a big chance your team will end up with 3 or 4 healers or something like that. Same if you're both Tank, since optimally they'd only make 25% of the team each. DPS have this problem less since they make 50% of the teams, but mixing it up is highly recommend since DPS seems the most popular. Other aspects could be that one of you has a capable class for defending (though most of it comes from calling the incs early, so in case of emergency any class can do it.

My personal favourite is a capable DPS, any class can do that but best I've seen so far is a Maurauder (might be the player though) combined with a capable healer. Another one of my favourites is the Powertech Tank/DPS Hybrid with a healer, you'll be an unbreakable team. Or anything with taunts and a healer.

Lastly, if it's his first MMO make sure you can help him with any questions he has. Though due to your MMO-experience I doubt he needs to play a class you know in order for you to give him tips, but I'd still like to point it out.