Can't see the SOA drill

As a tank, I notice that in the final stage fight with SOA, I find it nearly impossbile to see the drill. I think it's a camera bug or something, because if I die, I notice that I can see the thing fine when viewing the battle from a distance, but when I'm up pulling aggro on SOA, I can't see the thing at all!!!

Of course, this is very aggravating to me because other people in the group are sitting there saying, "Why aren't you pulling SOA to the drill?" ...and I have to say, I can't see the thing. I don't see it when it first comes off the wall, or when it's hovering.

I've tried all sorts of camera angles, have max zoom set to 100%, zoomed all the way out, nothing seems to help...

Is this a bug?

Edited by XLJedi

As a tank, I notice that in the final stage fight with SOA, I find it nearly impossbile to see the drill. I think it's a camera bug or something, because if I die, I notice that I can see the thing fine when viewing the battle from a distance, but when I'm up pulling aggro on SOA, I can't see the thing at all!!!

Of course, this is very aggravating to me because other people in the group are sitting there saying, "Why aren't you pulling SOA to the drill?" ...and I have to say, I can't see the thing. I don't see it when it first comes off the wall, or when it's hovering.

I've tried all sorts of camera angles, have max zoom set to 100%, zoomed all the way out, nothing seems to help...

Is this a bug?

ive never heard of this.

also... drill?

Pyramids, pylons, big stone thingies. I suppose every guild has a different name for them - I imagine these guys call it a drill because of the spinning motion.

Our tanks have had some issues seeing the things as well, because of camera angle issues. As such we occasionally have players who yell out where it's going to drop, when it starts to lift etc. I don't believe we've had an occasion when the tank has been unable to see the pyramids for reasons other than those listed above, but it might that you have are experiencing a graphical bug (invisible fire, anyone?).

Not sure if he means:

He can't see them because they don't show up on his screen. If this is the case, it's a bug I've never heard of before.

He can't see them because he can't turn his camera to look at them correctly. If this is the case, I would suggest making sure your camera zoom option is at 100%, zooming all the way out, and then point your camera view straight at the ground in a "bird's eye" kind of way, which makes it easy to tell when you are under the pylon. Prior to doing this, using the left click to spin your camera around until you see the pylon come out of the wall should help on any issue you're having.

Hope that clears anything up for him.

Not sure if he means:

He can't see them because they don't show up on his screen. If this is the case, it's a bug I've never heard of before.

He can't see them because he can't turn his camera to look at them correctly. If this is the case, I would suggest making sure your camera zoom option is at 100%, zooming all the way out, and then point your camera view straight at the ground in a "bird's eye" kind of way, which makes it easy to tell when you are under the pylon. Prior to doing this, using the left click to spin your camera around until you see the pylon come out of the wall should help on any issue you're having.

Hope that clears anything up for him.

I mean literally "can't see it" as in graphics glitch... it's just not there. I mentioned that I've tried all sorts of camera angles and I'm at 100% zoom already. I don't see it AT ALL. I don't see it come off the wall, I don't see it move into position, I don't see it hovering... nothing. However, if I die and I'm on the outskirts of the arena area, I can see it perfectly. It only seems to happen when I'm pulling aggro on SOA.

I have a hard time getting the positioning right even with 100% zoom out. I wish they threw a shadow or something :/ But yeah, I find it super helpful if people yell out "Pillar's up!" so I know to start frantically spinning around trying to find the darn thing.

I have a hard time getting the positioning right even with 100% zoom out. I wish they threw a shadow or something :/ But yeah, I find it super helpful if people yell out "Pillar's up!" so I know to start frantically spinning around trying to find the darn thing.

To me this is the hardest part of the whole fight... It is strictly on the tank to do this.

Even zooming out it is a huge pain in the butt. I agree it should throw a shadow on the ground or something.

I mean literally "can't see it" as in graphics glitch... it's just not there. I mentioned that I've tried all sorts of camera angles and I'm at 100% zoom already. I don't see it AT ALL. I don't see it come off the wall, I don't see it move into position, I don't see it hovering... nothing. However, if I die and I'm on the outskirts of the arena area, I can see it perfectly. It only seems to happen when I'm pulling aggro on SOA.

Put a bug report in for this. It could be something in your graphics settings, I know I've not been able to see certain things in cutscenes if bloom wasn't enabled, maybe something similar is going on here. But for certain, put a bug report in on it so they know.

I'll put in the bug report...

Seems like the easy way to fix it would be with one of those handy-dandy target reticles tracking along on the ground beneath the thing!

I even tried changing my graphic settings from "High" to "Low" and nothing... I hate being defeated by the graphics card boss!

Edited by XLJedi

I'll put in the bug report...

Seems like the easy way to fix it would be with one of those handy-dandy target reticles tracking along on the ground beneath the thing!

I even tried changing my graphic settings from "High" to "Low" and nothing... I hate being defeated by the graphics card boss!

It can certainly be annoying. Just be glad that as time goes on, you'll have to run EV less and less, that's something we can all be thankful for! :D

If you cannot see the rock than ask to someone of your party that can see it to move there than mark him and intercede on him.

Not looking for a workaround... that's exactly what I do now. Wanted to see some confirmation that it IS a bug, I'm not the only one, and to bring it to light so the issue gets addressed.

The whole design of the Obelisks is kind of crappy for the tank. Even at max camera distance it's really difficult to see where it is, the way the camera follows you as you move tends to put the viewable area lower then the obelisk floats at. I try to run toward and under it with my camera facing down and then estimate where I need to be, its usually works. Part of this is for some reason Soa is 4 stories tall when most Rakata were the size of humans. It should cast a shadow or something to make it easier to place him.

If you don't see it at all its probably a bug related to your card, might check to make sure drivers are up to date, and if they are place a bug report ticket.

Is this a bug?

Your tank needs to fight SOA with his camera low looking up, and every few seconds swing it around the room to see if the Pillar is up in the air.... It's a bit tough if your new to the instance, but once your get used to looking for the pillar it's rather easy....

BTW, it used to be you had to have SOA exactly under the pillar for it to knock out the shield... Bioware has made it easier by giving the pillar a bigger damage radius to knock off SOA shield... I usually pull SOA just past the pillar so I don't take any damage when it falls

Edited by Monoth