Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Gonna have to disagree with most of this, no offense. I really think Quinn could go both ways, hardly learned anything about him and every time my SW flirted, he just seemed uncomfortable with it. Now you could say that it was his position and protocol but I think he could be easily re-written to include an SGRA . Though I could just be reading too much into it, hehe.

Vette, I'm not sure about, but I don't think she could be completely written off as straight only, Again, just my opinion. Really hoping Mako would be made available if they ever decide to, dunno what it is, but she just so loveable, hehe.

That's about all I know of the romances so far. Most companions share so little about themselves, I really think any of them could be added as SGRA. Or BW could always add totally new companions, but it would always feel rushed to me, like the companions you get after chapter 2. Would love to see them all expanded, but I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

^.^

Playing a SW now, and all I could see think was Vette is OGR, just by the storyline scenes (female SW btw). Same with Ashara.

Ashara hates females as it is. Though I'm sure that's someone saying "Oh, she's playing hard to get." Or that "Doesnt matter, she's the only female romance option for Inquisitor, so she has to be made bi" :p

Jaesa could totally be SGR.

Quinn and the non-romancable Talon give that feeling as well. Not so much that Quinn would be any different than he is now with a female SW, but he doesn't give off any possibilities not to be.

Torian hasn't given any signs either way, but I could imagine (with the characterization given) he could possibly lean that way.

Andronikus hasn't given any sign of it, and in fact, seems to come off pretty OGR, but maybe that "Kill them all attitude" is really saying "Gaaaah...I'm dening my true self" *nod nod*

Pierce doesn't seem it at all either, buuut, from what I hear he's just a one night stand anyways, so who knows. While I haven't gotten to far with Pierce yet, he hasn't given me any real sign to say no to the idea that he's SGR. Not like Vette who has totally come off that way.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's the overly optimistic possibility that an expansion could introduce whole new companions who are meant to be good fits for SGR.

Where ? As far as I know, they confirmed that SGR on the expansion are going to be some flirts with random npcs. Not companions.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned Bowdar as an option? That's folicle-ism!

They have. Bowdar's been brought up a few times by trolls as an attempt of equating homosexuality to *******ity.

Well, what kind of signs are you looking for? IMO they really tell us so little about themselves that I think it would be fairly easy to bring in more romance content, SGR and OGR, to any companion and it wouldn't change them at all. Again, just my opinion.

^.^

Well, what kind of signs are you looking for? IMO they really tell us so little about themselves that I think it would be fairly easy to bring in more romance content, SGR and OGR, to any companion and it wouldn't change them at all. Again, just my opinion.

^.^

I agree. I think most people start from the stereotypes and then guesstimate how far from what they "see" in companions to conclude that they "are/are not" the type. Meh.

As far as I know, they confirmed that SGR on the expansion are going to be ---- ------ with ------ npcs. Not companions.

Fixed that for you.

Nothing has been said about the romance content on Makeb only being "some flirts", or that the NPCs have been chosen at random. We could very well get a few characters integral to the Rise of the Hutt Cartel storyline that will be available for romance.

Fixed that for you.

Nothing has been said about the romance content on Makeb only being "some flirts", or that the NPCs have been chosen at random. We could very well get a few characters integral to the Rise of the Hutt Cartel storyline that will be available for romance.

Yeah, I doubt it would be some random hanging out in the cantina. That would just seem cheap and rushed. I would imagine that some character in the story will say something nice and we'll have the opportunity to flirt back. Of course, I could be wrong since it hasn't happened yet... but that's how plenty of other "romances" worked.

With no Class distinctions, though, it'll still have to be rather generic. I doubt they'll stand up to the likes of Jaxo, but we'll see.

Well, there have been some rumours that the story quest will still feel a bit directed for certain classes (which probably means you'll get a nod for being Cipher Nine or something), so there could be some lines like "Show me your II seduction techniques."

C'mon Cipher, seduce me.

Champion of the Great Hunt? Are you the champion of anything else?

Emporer's Wrath? Are you the Emporer's anything else?

...I'm terrible at this.

Playing a SW now, and all I could see think was Vette is OGR, just by the storyline scenes (female SW btw). Same with Ashara.

Ashara hates females as it is. Though I'm sure that's someone saying "Oh, she's playing hard to get." Or that "Doesnt matter, she's the only female romance option for Inquisitor, so she has to be made bi" :p

Jaesa could totally be SGR.

<zandilar snip!>

It is good that people have opinions on how characters might swing based on their behaviour in the game, but it might also be good if those same people remembered that you can't always tell a person's sexuality from a limited view of their behaviour. Because lets face it - we only see how the companions act when they're with our characters, and that doesn't comprise all of their time. Nor can we, as players, truly get into their heads - we are not their creators, we do not know what their creators intended unless they tell us.

I also find that a lot of people with strong opinions on who is or who is not gay, also seem to be blinded to the possibility of a character being bisexual. We like to put things into simple categories, but the fact of the matter is sexuality is a spectrum, and a person can sit anywhere along that spectrum between straight and gay. So it is short sighted to be so absolute about these characters.

A person's sexuality is not branded on their foreheads for the whole world to see, and sometimes people can surprise you. This can and does go double for fictional characters who are subject to the whims of their writers. (I'd tell you a story about a character I was writing as straight, who suddenly turned out to be bisexual with almost no input from me (it just felt right to write her that way), but that has little relevance to this forum.)

Also, SithKoriandr, there was a reason I quoted you rather than others - can you expand on why you think Ashara hates females? I've not played a SI high enough to get her as a companion, and I want to know the story behind it. (I am not saying you're wrong about her, I'm just curious.)

It is good that people have opinions on how characters might swing based on their behaviour in the game, but it might also be good if those same people remembered that you can't always tell a person's sexuality from a limited view of their behaviour. Because lets face it - we only see how the companions act when they're with our characters, and that doesn't comprise all of their time. Nor can we, as players, truly get into their heads - we are not their creators, we do not know what their creators intended unless they tell us.

I also find that a lot of people with strong opinions on who is or who is not gay, also seem to be blinded to the possibility of a character being bisexual. We like to put things into simple categories, but the fact of the matter is sexuality is a spectrum, and a person can sit anywhere along that spectrum between straight and gay. So it is short sighted to be so absolute about these characters.

A person's sexuality is not branded on their foreheads for the whole world to see, and sometimes people can surprise you. This can and does go double for fictional characters who are subject to the whims of their writers. (I'd tell you a story about a character I was writing as straight, who suddenly turned out to be bisexual with almost no input from me (it just felt right to write her that way), but that has little relevance to this forum.)

Also, SithKoriandr, there was a reason I quoted you rather than others - can you expand on why you think Ashara hates females? I've not played a SI high enough to get her as a companion, and I want to know the story behind it. (I am not saying you're wrong about her, I'm just curious.)

I base Vette from the negative affections in the dialogue. I dont recall it word for word. Where as Jaesa is just all "I WANT TO FEEL EVERYTHING"

Ashara, besides giving you low affection for any gift, is just pissy to female SIs :p I have no idea how she plays with male SIs, but from what Im told she becomes quite attached and quickly and easily. She just comes off as hating you as a female SI and thats with going lightside.

Mako, I have no idea. I really dont. And she's one I hope for. There were a couple of scenes where I was all "Maybe!" but that could have easily been hopefulness on my part for my BH :p And I'm at least willing to admit what I see is a good chance it's just what I want to see and not "OMG IT'S THERE BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE I WANT IT" :p

My thoughts on Torian is more that, there just wasn't much there to sway me on the idea that he wasnt, why I said I could see him as SGR.

Of course, back to Ashara, that's all from what I've seen of her now. They could put in a SGR flirt later on, and if your female SI uses it, all of a sudden you have a totally different Ashara. That said, they never seem to change that much personality wise on your characters gender, sooo...

Re: Ashara, it's probably b/c she doesn't give a lot of gift affection for females.

Which means nothing. I mean, you could say Kira is bisexual b/c she likes courting gifts (which we know means nothing).

Theres so much more to it. Her chatting with the female SI comes off so...bad...like deep down she really doesnt care for you.

Sith Inquisitor: I didn't find romancing Ashara worth the time and effort, and based what has been posted here (and on other threads), Andros isn't much better. That said, I know that Khem Val gets mentioned a lot for SGR (and the other male companion just likes digging for treasure IMO), so, I think he would be a good choice.

Bounty Hunter: Mako comes off as my little sister. The relationship just seems weird, and I feel she's forced onto you because who else would you romance for OGR? That said, Gault would be prefect (if handled correctly). Beyond that, I can't really say (I dig Blizz & Gault; rest are marginal so I can't say who). Unless Mako was really meant to be SGR (and became OGR when it was taken out before launch; or however that went down).

I can't comment on the JC, JK, or SW. I haven't played past Act 2 yet. The ones I left out (Smuggler, Trooper, IA) I didn't really care for the companions a whole lot, so, I can't really comment.

I still think (as much as realistically possible), stereotypes should be avoided. That's the issue I have with the Trooper (far too many stereotypes used in regards that civilians have of the military, and as one who is serving, it rubs me the wrong way a lot).

Ashara, besides giving you low affection for any gift, is just pissy to female SIs :p I have no idea how she plays with male SIs, but from what Im told she becomes quite attached and quickly and easily. She just comes off as hating you as a female SI and thats with going lightside.

From where I got to, on my 43 male SI, 'pissy' was the best word. Got about 3 or 4 flirt options in, clicked something snarky just to see her response, and it ended the conversation before I had to time to Escape. Apparently, that convo also had the 'make or break' flirt, since none turned up after.

Watched the rest on YouTube, don't think I missed much. She suddenly does a 180 with her opinion of you, but still has some whiny "I'm a Jedi" lines. Even to LS Inqs, I'm told, so there's no pleasing some people.

Yeah, for Ashara, basically you have to keep dumping Republic Memorabilia gifts on her up to a certain point when she'll suddenly be more receptive to you. It's true of both males and females, though obviously females can't start a romance with her.

SI gift requirements are strange, they vary the most with gender and change depending on how much affection you have with them. Then there's Andronikos who seems to love almost everything.

Edited by chuixupu

Andros likes Military Gear & Underworld Goods. However, he prefers weapon the most.

For those asking about Ashara, here's the wiki I use in terms of what to give my companions (I found it helps to look up who gives what).

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor

If you would rather not look up the other 7 classes and see the rest of the companions in SW:TOR, let me state that overwhelming (as a female Sith Inquisitor), Ashara is the hardest companion to get to max affection. Period. No other companion even comes close (either female or male). I also feel, there should be a(n) achievement for that (a title and/or exclusive character skins for every companion you have; and it be account wide). But that's just me. I like to award players/people who do something insanely time consuming.

Edit: I mean no disrespect for using female or male. My military jargon comes out from time to time, and I mean no offense to anyone.

Edited by jason_ralph

SI gift requirements are strange, they vary the most with gender and change depending on how much affection you have with them. Then there's Andronikos who seems to love almost everything.

I do like that Khem's fond of Cultural gifts, though; in my headcanon, he goes to his room and plays with them - making sound effects and everything.

I do like that Khem's fond of Cultural gifts, though; in my headcanon, he goes to his room and plays with them - making sound effects and everything.

lol, now I am never going to get that out of my head. Thanks!

^.^

Thought- I've heard a rumor going around that since SGR have been confirmed for the Expansion, rather then updating old companions (Which is the overwhelming popular idea) they will simply add SGR NPCs on Makeb.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thought- I've heard a rumor going around that since SGR have been confirmed for the Expansion, rather then updating old companions (Which is the overwhelming popular idea) they will simply add SGR NPCs on Makeb.

Yes. But to what level, I believe no one knows yet.

Andros likes Military Gear & Underworld Goods. However, he prefers weapon the most.

I got a the "preferred" max affection from giving military gear, underworld goods, weapons, and luxury. None of them gave less points than the other.

From looking at one guide, it seems he gives more favorable responses towards female characters.

lol....Khem is surprising endearing for a scary looking monster.

They have announced that SGR with non-companion NPCs will be in Makeb. It will definitely not be with current companions. But as others said, nobody knows any details beyond that.

Edited by chuixupu