Problem with re-installing SWTOR

JamesOfEsbjerg

Hello guys and girls

So i've had a problem with re-installing the game for at least 6 months now and i've tried almost everything, its beginning to nag me a bit. I know my old PC has a few problems, but it shouldnt affect the game. At least that i know of.

A message pops up everytime with:

"Certificate authentication failed, please re-install to correct the problem." And nothing happens when i try this.

Edited by JamesOfEsbjerg

Hello guys and girls

So i've had a problem with re-installing the game for at least 6 months now and i've tried almost everything, its beginning to nag me a bit. I know my old PC has a few problems, but it shouldnt affect the game. At least that i know of.

A message pops up with:

"Certificate authentication failed, please re-install to correct the problem." What should i do?

If memory serves, the main problem this PC has is that it's still on Windows XP. There was a blip a while back where one or more of BW/EA's certificates expired (that's normal) and the "root" certificate behind the new ones isn't in Windows XP, and *won't*ever*ever*ever* be in Windows XP because XP's way far beyond its "sell-by" and "use until" dates. That means that the current certificate can't be validated, so the download fails.

There was a workaround available, but even that workaround expired months ago, so...

If the machine is capable of doing so, upgrade to a more recent version of Windows, either 7 or 10. If not, perhaps it's time for a new machine. (For what it's worth, I recently finally laid my old machine (bought in 2011) to rest in favour of a new one, although for different reasons.)

Of course, I may be wrong about your machine, but there was definitely a glitch with expired certificates, and it was clear that Windows XP is no longer useful as a platform for "modern" stuff.

(Obligatory reference: The Electronic Arts System Requirements page for SWTOR.)