The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

renegadeimp

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just affirmation and feedback:

Aero is a ''must off'' the way the aero buffer works is awefull and even in fullscreen mode is a nice drain on the framebuffer.

''windowed mode'' is also one to avoid.

Gamerazer, kinda is this guide .. it is a app to disable specific services and apps on start of specific games. you can in advanced mode replicate this guide. works nice! i found it easier however to make a windows-7 profile called swtor where most everything "profile-specific" is turned off already.

Yep. That piece of software is amazing.

I created this guide as there are a few other little tweaks that eek out some more performance on lower end systems.

ty for this guide.. i found the performance>apperance trick myself..now to try these other goodies...

maybe..just maybe..i will be able to render people exiting stealth faster than after 10 seconds. :(

ty for this guide.. i found the performance>apperance trick myself..now to try these other goodies...

maybe..just maybe..i will be able to render people exiting stealth faster than after 10 seconds. :(

Make sure you create a system restore point before performing the guide. That way you can easily restore the system to how it was before you started tweaking.

if you are confident in your PC abilities, you can completely disable sys restore and get some performance that way too.

• 1 month later...

Gave this a shot and it definitely sped things up on start-up. I already had Aero disabled and had the system set up for performance, but there were a few more tricks in there I hadn't tried.

On boot up, however, my start-up bar had a message along the lines of "Unable to connect network drives". I'm not on a network, so that confused me a bit. I assume this is normal?

Gave this a shot and it definitely sped things up on start-up. I already had Aero disabled and had the system set up for performance, but there were a few more tricks in there I hadn't tried.

On boot up, however, my start-up bar had a message along the lines of "Unable to connect network drives". I'm not on a network, so that confused me a bit. I assume this is normal?

Youve probably just disabled a network option. Backtrack what you changed until you hit the right one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I did all of the suggestions in Post #1 and #2, and it helps quite a bit, but one thing that has popped up is that whenever I am scrolling down a webpage with a bunch of text, there is what I would describe as sort of a "ripple" or "screen tearing" effect that is super annoying. Anyone know which setting I should restore to fix this?

I did all of the suggestions in Post #1 and #2, and it helps quite a bit, but one thing that has popped up is that whenever I am scrolling down a webpage with a bunch of text, there is what I would describe as sort of a "ripple" or "screen tearing" effect that is super annoying. Anyone know which setting I should restore to fix this?

Thats vsync. Enable it in your video driver settings

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I have to admit, I am running SWTOR on the worlds oldest Dell Compaq 8510w with windows 7 and 2GB of ram. It played but was fairly laggy and to be honest i wanted to cry on planets like Balmora and Alderann which seem to destroy it. After your easy steps, I have to admit I have noted about 30-40% increase from FPS to load times. Its a wonderful thing and I absolutely will start recommending this thread to all the like minded old geezers out there trying to use their ancient laptops for SWTOR! Thank You!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Can you assist; I followed the guide and its great for the game as I play on a laptop.

However I now need to be able to see thumbnail images of pictures I have in folders to make a job i'm doing easier, however I can't figure out which alteration I did that stopped me from seeing thumbnail images in folders to reverse it :(

Can anyone with better knowledge please give me directions on how to re-activate my thumbnail images?

Thanks in advance..

Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press ENTER

Go to the following branch:

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Explorer

First few settings listed should be about folder thumbnails, see if that's all you need

Click Start, type gpedit.msc and press ENTER

Go to the following branch:

User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Windows Explorer

First few settings listed should be about folder thumbnails, see if that's all you need

Typed the gpedit.msc in the search box having clicked start and then pressed enter and nothing happened :confused:

• 7 months later...