Is mercenary (or Bounty hunter ) story worth doing? Or just boost to 60?

runar_smugler

I'm wondering this..cause I have played the story all the way with what used to be my main...noe level 55 gunslinger....and i dont realy wanna go through that long proccess again..it took me 2 mnts back at launch..

I did the BH story up to level 13 2 years ago i think and it was oki but not something i regrett not finishing..

What is your guys opinion about this?

My fear is that I will get tired of swtor before I am able to realy enjoy endgame with a mercenary if i have to go all the way from level 1 to 65 with him....

I have started a level 60 merc ...but seing how cool it is..i started to think about his story...

Is mercenary (or Bounty hunter ) story worth doing?

The first two chapters are slow, but once things take off, it is a really good story. I don't want to say spoilers, but there is a moment that shifts the focus from what you think is going to happen, to something else. Once that happens I felt it was one of the better Stories in the game. Of course the best 3 stories are Jedi Knight, Sith Warrior, and Imperial Agent.

Seriously everyone needs to play those three at least. Also Sith Inquisitor works so well with Fallen Empire I almost think it is a continuation of the Class Storyline.

It's a good story, interesting companions. I will enjoy killing the last one from Belsavis if I have this chance in KOTFE :)

The best way to enjoy recruiting new companions in KOTFE is to know all of them by playing all classes. Otherwise running around the galaxy doing quests to recruit the guys you were never attached to is meh...

I see both of your guys points, but I'm just afraid of the time it will take me.

I also did the imperial agent story unthil 40 something and yes it was oki-ish...a bit dark for my taste, but i guess dark is part of the empire side....BUT...maybe BH is less dark?..cause i dont consider the huts dark..they are just wierd;)...

Personally I did enjoy the story throughout the voice suited, I liked most of the companions (if not the reason they became companions ie gault) the playstyle for both powertech's and mercenary's were fun.

Everyone has their own reasons for enjoying story's and I can honestly say the only one I did not really like was the smuggler it felt like all flash but no substance (I kind of enjoyed it enough at the time but thinking back on it compared to the others it feels like meh!)

I somewhat agree on the smugler....its funny and cool in the begining, but it gets a bit weary after the 1000th time you say something cool and the flirting has no end..its just..slightly too much imo. The smugler is so high on himself/herself that its almost embarrasing;)

I somewhat agree on the smugler....its funny and cool in the begining, but it gets a bit weary after the 1000th time you say something cool and the flirting has no end..its just..slightly too much imo. The smugler is so high on himself/herself that its almost embarrasing;)

I know, half the time the conversations end with "you are about to see a real life hero", why would a smuggler want to be a hero, smugglers are in for themselves and are both vain and selfish and I think many of them would value their own lives over saving a handful of people.

My smugglers are always reluctant to be the hero as the more you become a hero of the republic I think the less likely the underworld would want to deal with you.

I know, half the time the conversations end with "you are about to see a real life hero", why would a smuggler want to be a hero, smugglers are in for themselves and are both vain and selfish and I think many of them would value their own lives over saving a handful of people.

My smugglers are always reluctant to be the hero as the more you become a hero of the republic I think the less likely the underworld would want to deal with you.

agree hehe...the smugler story is a wierd one. I feel much more connected to my BH...and i have only played the first chapter of the new expansion with him...he does not feel like a complete selfish womanizer and wannabe hehe. Yes..i guess he fights for money and probably he kill ppl for money too, but As i have boosted to 60 I have tried to always play him like an honorable soldier..that just happen to be on the empire side by chance...and that he actually only want to protect the innocent....sort of like a robin hood;)...

That's the thing it makes great sense for a bounty hunter, he know a contract is not without its risks but will always "honour" contracts.

For the position of the bounty hunter you can be a hero of the empire since bounty hunting is pretty much none existent within the republic, most of your work will be with the empire anyway and unlike the smuggler being a hero of the empire that can pull off the impossible actually cements your high bounty hunting standard to get higher profile and more rewarding jobs.

The Bounty hunter feels so disconnected to everything going on that I stopped playing mine. After the class story, it stops making sense, because the dialogue forces you to be pro empire, and gives no reason why your bounty hunter should give a damn.

The Jedi Knight and Sith warrior both have a close relationship with the emperor, and the Inqusitor rules the empire along side Marr, and you worked your *** off to get where you are, so it feels natural why you would care about what's going on. the smuggler is the samething as the Bounty Hunter. A killer for hire and a crime-lord/space pirate giving a damn is like saying a Hutt doesn't care about credits.

The Bounty hunter feels so disconnected to everything going on that I stopped playing mine. After the class story, it stops making sense, because the dialogue forces you to be pro empire, and gives no reason why your bounty hunter should give a damn.

The Jedi Knight and Sith warrior both have a close relationship with the emperor, and the Inqusitor rules the empire along side Marr, and you worked your *** off to get where you are, so it feels natural why you would care about what's going on. the smuggler is the samething as the Bounty Hunter. A killer for hire and a crime-lord/space pirate giving a damn is like saying a Hutt doesn't care about credits.

In the case of the smuggler, they can be played to start caring about the Republic. People seem to forget that they get the Privateer and loyal to the Republic option.

The Hunter however doesn't really get that option. Hunter's chapter 1 and 3 are good imo, with 2 lacking, but my real complaint with Hunter is it just doesn't work with all LS/DS choices. Yes, Hunter is an assassin. The story is about you taking every contract the story gives you and not all targets are guilty. You go into the business in the hopes in playing a game that is all about taking out your targets, most who's only thing they did wrong was upset the wrong people. Like a Moff who didn't do anything (known to us anyways) wrong, except win a war against the Mando's. Yup. You win a war, you must die!

Same with a Jedi Master who didn't do anything wrong. Your Hunter however treats it like they're innocent. "It's just my job." doesn't work well in a lot of Hunter's case.

The companions are a highlight of the BH though. Except for the last one, they're great. The last will never fit in my Hunter's crew, because the way he got on the ship and acted. At least one of them while never should've been on my crew either, made up for it with personality.

Like a Moff who didn't do anything (known to us anyways) wrong, except win a war against the Mando's. Yup. You win a war, you must die!

Most Moff's have done plenty to be stripped of the title 'Not Guilty'. Besides, if you play it right it's another hunter who kills him :D

Same with a Jedi Master who didn't do anything wrong.
It's war. Soldiers can get killed and important soldiers can get targeted for assassination.

Most Moff's have done plenty to be stripped of the title 'Not Guilty'. Besides, if you play it right it's another hunter who kills him :D

It's war. Soldiers can get killed and important soldiers can get targeted for assassination.

Good points here. ..we all play sort of like soldiers in a war. ..either against the other faction or against other threaths . We dont have a choice to play as pacifist if we want to play star wars.

Yes...we can play sort of evil. ...but that is marked by dark side choices.

Edited by runar_smugler

I found Jedi Knight to be a bit one-dimensional, at least when played lightsided. In every class mission it is one variation or another on "you're the chosen one destined to save us/them/the world". It is a bit more interesting when played darkside I'll admit, but not by a lot.

In terms of reflecting their archetypes...

Sith Warrior/Darth Vader

Sith Inquisitor/Darth Maul or Palpatine

Bounty Hunter/Boba Fett or Jango Fett

Imperial Agent/ -n/a-

Jedi Knight/Anakin Skywalker or Luke Skywalker

Jedi Consular/Obi-wan Kenobi

Trooper/ -n/a-

Smuggler/Han Solo

In terms of really capturing their corresponding film archetype I have to give high marks to Sith Warrior, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Consular, and Smuggler. Each class story really captures very well what I'd call the essence of the character and retooling a story you could easily place one of their film archetypes in and have it work nicely.

In terms of sheer awesomeness the Imperial Agent storyline gets really, really, really good towards the end. As conspiracies start getting unraveled and the Agent is fighting to learn the truth and perhaps find some freedom it can get very compelling.

The Trooper storyline was solid. I enjoyed it quite a bit and imagine I'll probably run through it again eventually.

The Jedi Knight story I doubt I'll ever revisit, it was difficult enough slogging through it all the way to the end of Ziost during the 12x XP.

Sith Inquisitor works ok for Assassins (i.e. Darth Maul) but less well for the mastermind/Palpatine archetype. Seemed to me you spend too much time walking from one obvious trap into another.

Edited by Katahn
Typo...

Maybe so but the story certinly does force you to ask some questions about what the character does. I honestly found myself kinda agreeing with your detractors in the BH storyline. some of the bounties your character collected where, from a legal POV, highly questionable.

I see both of your guys points, but I'm just afraid of the time it will take me.

I also did the imperial agent story unthil 40 something and yes it was oki-ish...a bit dark for my taste, but i guess dark is part of the empire side....BUT...maybe BH is less dark?..cause i dont consider the huts dark..they are just wierd;)...

In the least spoiler way possible, you see the ugly side of the Republic as a BH.

I was never a big fan of the bounty hunter story. The problem was that I never felt like a bounty hunter, and the story was confusing and boring. It had some fun moments, but they were very far between. Also, Crysta Markon was super annoying and constantly broke my immersion with that goofy accent.

I did enjoy Gault Rennow, though. I also liked the female bounty hunter voice. The male voice, however, was torture and traumatized my eardrums.

Edited by kifa

I was never a big fan of the bounty hunter story. The problem was that I never felt like a bounty hunter, and the story was confusing and boring. It had some fun moments, but they were very far between. Also, Crysta Markon was super annoying and constantly broke my immersion with that goofy accent.

I did enjoy Gault Rennow, though. I also liked the female bounty hunter voice. The male voice, however, was torture and traumatized my eardrums.

OMG! I watched visdeos with the male Hunter, it sounded terrrible! Especially looked off when people went with BT1.

What is your guys opinion about this?

I have started a level 60 merc ...but seing how cool it is..i started to think about his story...

I really like teh entire story, ALL OF IT.

SO yes, to answer you. Start from lvl 1 and run with it.