Profanity filter and violations...

Drysdale

Why am I hearing of people getting warnings/bans for casually swearing when there is a profanity filter? What is the point of a profanity filter if they're banning/warning people for swearing?

Why are people's name and guild names getting changed for copyright violations when I see numerous copyright violations running around the station at any given time?

The arbitrary and ambiguity of some of BW's rules and actions are frustrating to say the least. Is anyone else having problems with their customer support? Any suggestions for how to better deal with and get answers from them? The only responses me and my friends get are cookie-cutter "Protocol droid" responses.

I got a warning once on the forums for writing F, then some stars and so on.....

Because then i was trying to avoid the profanity filters here....

Not what I was trying to be honest, but i can't blame them for thinking that.....

Why am I hearing of people getting warnings/bans for casually swearing when there is a profanity filter? What is the point of a profanity filter if they're banning/warning people for swearing?

Why are people's name and guild names getting changed for copyright violations when I see numerous copyright violations running around the station at any given time?

The arbitrary and ambiguity of some of BW's rules and actions are frustrating to say the least. Is anyone else having problems with their customer support? Any suggestions for how to better deal with and get answers from them? The only responses me and my friends get are cookie-cutter "Protocol droid" responses.

you agree not to swear when you play, plain and simple.

as for the names, they get changed/removed when they get reported to, or seen by, a gm. if you feel they should be reported, do it, and those responsible will take care of it.

Having a filter to prevent other people from seeing it (if they chose to leave the filter on) does not allow you to violate the rules. The profanity filter weeds out normal words as well as the naughty ones.

Ever read the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service? Just because there is a filter does not give you the freedom to use vulgar language. http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

To keep the Service a compliant, fun, fair and safe gaming environment for everyone, you may not engage in any of the following behavior:

Disrupt the flow of chat with vulgar language, abusiveness, hitting the return key repeatedly or inputting large images so the screen goes by too fast to read, use of excessive shouting [all caps] in an attempt to disturb other users, “spamming” or flooding [posting repetitive text].

Naming Policy

You may not use any names that violate the General Rules. This includes the use of names that are hateful, defamatory, racist, ethnically offensive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, or any other language that is offensive in nature.

In the end, this is Bioware's game and their forums. If they don't want you to use offensive language (with or without the filter), then you either abide by their rules or you leave.

Ever read the Code of Conduct and Terms of Service? Just because there is a filter does not give you the freedom to use vulgar language. http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

In the end, this is Bioware's game and their forums. If they don't want you to use offensive language (with or without the filter), then you either abide by their rules or you leave.

I agree the other day I let my son play my guy for a bit and some guy was on a rant dropping F-Bombs and such ever 2 words and I have the filter on but my boy knew what was being said, I agree if they do like this guy then yeah warn/ban his butt but if its one word here or there then I would think its a waste, we all slip here and there....

customer service cant be everywhere at once..it is our duty as players to report those we find breaking the rules....so that way customer service knows where to send the airstrikes

join the bioware defense corps,and keep this game safe for everyone

Having a filter to prevent other people from seeing it (if they chose to leave the filter on) does not allow you to violate the rules. The profanity filter weeds out normal words as well as the naughty ones.

this is really the answer. i've heard the OP's argument before though. if they dont like to see cussing, they can keep the filter on. But that's NEVER how the game operates. You're breaking the rules by swearing and that's it

Hi there, everyone.

While we do utilize a profanity filter, attempting to bypass or otherwise manipulate it is a violation of the rules and will typically result in action (with varying levels of severity based on the context of the situation) being taken against the player/account.

Players with names that violate the Terms of Service or Rules of Conduct are asked to change those names. The reason a player may see one offensive/copyrighted name changed but not the other is likely because one name has been reported (using the In-Game Customer Service Portal) and the other hasn't. If you see a name and think it is offensive or is otherwise a violation of the rules, please feel free to report it and we will action it accordingly.

That said, we typically do not allow discussion of these topics in the public areas of the forum. With that in mind, we'll be closing this thread. However, we do value and appreciate the community's feedback on these topics, and encourage you to share them appropriately by emailing communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thanks everyone.