Did Bioware *really* just force crafters into the CXP grind?

stoopicus

EDIT: It turns out the mats are not BOP/BOL and so can be sold on the GTN, so this is not as bad as it first seemed. Original post follows.

Wow. So the new mats cost command tokens to buy.

On one hand, it's nice to have something to do with the tokens.

On the other hand, at six tokens per mat (with 5-10+ mats required per piece of gear), this is going to add up fast.

I think I see why you did this. It motivates people to play alts now (as command tokens will come faster on lower command rank characters.) And it also motivates people to buy the 0-299 boost, which is otherwise pretty useless since it requires you to have someone at 300 to buy it anyway.

Previously, once you acquired a schematic with your main, you could make things and sell them or use them completely outside of Galactic Command, on your crafting alts. Not so much, now.

Having more drains for the tokens is good, sure. Still, ouch.

Edited by stoopicus

Oh come on. Nobody is being forced to do anything.

You get CXP just by playing. You can turn it into a grind all you want. You can turn anything into a grind. If the hardcore crafters want to be hardcore then they'll do whatever it is they need to do and if it isn't through CXP then it will be running around clicking nodes for 6 hours a day.

Just like the hardcore raiders will grind the same operations over and over.

Why people want to "finish" the game in one day every time there's an update I'll never understand. What's there to do then? Just chill and play and if it take you 6-9 months to get most of your Legacy to 300 or whatever the cap is then so what? At least you have something to shoot for but if you just grind mindlessly for a few days just to get to 300 then what do you do? Come to the forums and rage that there's nothing to do.

Edited by PetFish

Well for a long time, end game crafting required mats only available in ops. You can get CXP from ops, but also from a ton of other things. So this is far more versatile. And unless the mats are bind on pickup, there's always the GTN.

Besides, the worst part of the CXP grind is the RNG aspect, where you can have a bad week and open, say, 50 boxes without any gear upgrades. But because these mats are linked to the Command Tokens, which are guaranteed in each box, at least earning them will be consistent.

Besides, the worst part of the CXP grind is the RNG aspect, where you can have a bad week and open, say, 50 boxes without any gear upgrades. But because these mats are linked to the Command Tokens, which are guaranteed in each box, at least earning them will be consistent.

This is true - and a token drain isn't necessarily a bad thing. And it will motivate alt play.

Still, I think a lot of people were looking forward to the craftable 246 as a way to free themselves from the GC grind, and this is kind of a kick right to the feels there.

On the other hand, at six tokens per mat (with 5-10+ mats required per piece of gear), this is going to add up fast.

You do know that you can simply purchase the mats from other players on the GTN.. right?

As per usual for SWTOR.. there will be a primary currency (which is effort based to accumulate) sourcing to get the mats.... but then players can resell (and do) because crafters will pay, and players with surplus Command Tokens have a way to convert them into credits (which most veterans have large piles of, and crafters certainly do) if they like.

Edited by Andryah

Still, I think a lot of people were looking forward to the craftable 246 as a way to free themselves from the GC grind, and this is kind of a kick right to the feels there.

AND.. that actually works. There are in fact crafters already peddling 246s on the GTNs. So... players with more credits then they know what to do with and not a crafter.... has a smooth path. Crafters have a smooth path as well. And guilds.. working together... have it made with this new approach to crafting 246s. Our guild is already working the new crafting to fill in any gaps members have in their gear set. As a guild, we skipped the GC grind from day one. As we continue to play and the studio continues to improve GC.... we of course accumulate a lot of what we want/need as a guild for high end gearing..... but crafting from day one in 5.0 offered a non-grind approach to any group of players that organized and worked together (guild or just a circle of friends).

It only sucks if you are trying to go it alone.... but frankly.. crafting top end gear has never been a good "go it alone" approach.

I think I see why you did this. It motivates people to play alts now (as command tokens will come faster on lower command rank characters.) And it also motivates people to buy the 0-299 boost, which is otherwise pretty useless since it requires you to have someone at 300 to buy it anyway.

Previously, once you acquired a schematic with your main, you could make things and sell them or use them completely outside of Galactic Command, on your crafting alts. Not so much, now.

Having more drains for the tokens is good, sure. Still, ouch.

You have it all wrong they could have put that mat into Master Mode content only imagine the outcry it's a great way to get rid of the silly tokens that I have no use for to be able to get some return. But bioware are not forcing anyone to do anything it's a select few that are crafting T4 items that have already done the hard yards and would have a ton of the tokens so it's nothing and makes no dent in the crafting process.

Stoopicus is correct.

They did just force crafters into the CXP Grind.

Yes, gaining CXP is a grind - its a royal pain in the &^% and it is nowhere near the "roughly 1 rank an hour" promised by the former Lead Producer. In fact even at Command Rank 60 it is more like 1 rank for 4 or 5 hours play.

All The Best

You do know that you can simply purchase the mats from other players on the GTN.. right?

Actually that I didn't know, thank you for the info. I had searched for them on the GTN immediately after I got them and saw none, but stupidly did not try and sell them, and assumed they were BOP/BOL. They run about 2m each at the moment.

AND.. that actually works. There are in fact crafters already peddling 246s on the GTNs.

Yeah, I've already made a modest ~20m or so. Slow start but I had *just* blown all my tokens on CXP boosts last week. bad timing, lol.

It only sucks if you are trying to go it alone.... but frankly.. crafting top end gear has never been a good "go it alone" approach.

I beg to differ, it's always been a great way for solos to make money too.

Edited by stoopicus

into the grind? god i'm getting tired of this rhetoric. I wish you played more of the game than push your disingenuous **** posting.

I'm going to speculate that I play more of the game than you do, since I do basically everything except raid. As for the rest of your nonsense, well, just lol.

Edited by stoopicus

You have it all wrong they could have put that mat into Master Mode content only imagine the outcry it's a great way to get rid of the silly tokens that I have no use for to be able to get some return. But bioware are not forcing anyone to do anything it's a select few that are crafting T4 items that have already done the hard yards and would have a ton of the tokens so it's nothing and makes no dent in the crafting process.

Drains on the tokens are definitely good but if you don't think this is a way to get crafters to grind CXP, I think you're being naive.

Yes, gaining CXP is a grind - its a royal pain in the &^% and it is nowhere near the "roughly 1 rank an hour" promised by the former Lead Producer. In fact even at Command Rank 60 it is more like 1 rank for 4 or 5 hours play.

All The Best

This is utter nonsense. Run ONE tactical flashpoint and you get atleast 1 cxp level. even at rank 300. Takes 15 min or so depending on FP and group. Run a 100% boost and do master mode hammer station, takes 10 min with mediocre players and you get 10k cxp.

I get crates flooding in without even trying anymore. I just play the game and the crates roll in. Unless your idea of participating in the cxp grind is to strictly run planet heroics, their is no reason to say it takes 4 or 5 hours to get a rank.

This is utter nonsense. Run ONE tactical flashpoint and you get atleast 1 cxp level. even at rank 300. Takes 15 min or so depending on FP and group. Run a 100% boost and do master mode hammer station, takes 10 min with mediocre players and you get 10k cxp.

I get crates flooding in without even trying anymore. I just play the game and the crates roll in. Unless your idea of participating in the cxp grind is to strictly run planet heroics, their is no reason to say it takes 4 or 5 hours to get a rank.

Yeah, even post nerf, one MM chapter 1 will get you close to a crate, and it takes less than 15 minutes with a maxed out Marr.

It's just not *fun*, it's grindy.

One GSF match will do it too. One regs match will get you close, 2/3 or so anyway. This is all boosted of course.

Edited by stoopicus

I get my tokens from doing what I do each day so i'm not really grinding anything but that's me :)

Well these days I'm geared on my main and DGAS about gearing my alts, so I am too. But before I got my main geared I definitely was deep in the grind.

Yeah, even post nerf, one MM chapter 1 will get you close to a crate, and it takes less than 15 minutes with a maxed out Marr.

It's just not *fun*, it's grindy.

Oh yea, I agree, it's not fun unless you get something good out of your crate, then it's like "oh that was fun" lol. Is maxxed out Marr really powerful or something? I'm still under the impression that mostly all comps are equal (cept for treek I hear she sucks).

Edited by DenariusJay

Oh yea, I agree, it's not fun unless you get something good out of your crate, then it's like "oh that was fun" lol. Is maxxed out Marr really powerful or something? I'm still under the impression that mostly all comps are equal (cept for treek I hear she sucks).

He is normal as far as I know, but he is the only choice for ch1 as the rest are story restricted.

Oh come on. Nobody is being forced to do anything.

You get CXP just by playing. You can turn it into a grind all you want. You can turn anything into a grind. If the hardcore crafters want to be hardcore then they'll do whatever it is they need to do and if it isn't through CXP then it will be running around clicking nodes for 6 hours a day.

Just like the hardcore raiders will grind the same operations over and over.

Why people want to "finish" the game in one day every time there's an update I'll never understand. What's there to do then? Just chill and play and if it take you 6-9 months to get most of your Legacy to 300 or whatever the cap is then so what? At least you have something to shoot for but if you just grind mindlessly for a few days just to get to 300 then what do you do? Come to the forums and rage that there's nothing to do.

This. Sorry, but while I do understand, to a point, how frustrating it can be to grind, getting CXP is easy. You just do whatever the heck you want and you get it. It's not really all that much a grind if you're doing what you want and earn it anyway.

Ben irving said nothing about doing specific content. He said that you'd get one level roughly every hour of play. And unless I am doing MM FPs with my guild I have never seen that kind of CXP return, ever.

All The Best

And unless I am doing MM FPs with my guild I have never seen that kind of CXP return, ever.

All The Best

Do you run SM Ops? I ran a EV SM yesterday, only took about 25min or so with the boost, weekly and consuming all the packs that dropped I got like 4 or 5 crates at rank 300.

What server you on, I guess I could see your point more clearly if you were on a dead server since FP/PVP pops are non existent, and forming OP groups could take all night. Otherwise just doing dailies in GF and PvP and Ops in 1 night should net you quite abit of crate drops with a boost going.