The REAL strategy behind swtor

Pazuzuh

BW, please confess: you want us to quit. So you could say "oh dear, it didnt work, let's move on to a new game"

But the company wont let the game shut down while there ir X subs. And this is the real strategy. Think about it:

-- crates that we didint ask for

-- nerfs we didnt ask for

-- new currency we didnt ask for

-- worst daily planet ever (iokath)

-- bad operation ( 2 lame bosses)

-- bad pvp map (odesen)

-- solo, more solo, solo, more solo content

All this in only 1 year.

STOP PISSING PPL OFF. AND BRING OUR GREAT GAME BACK FFS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BW, please confess: you want us to quit. So you could say "oh dear, it didnt work, let's move on to a new game"

But the company wont let the game shut down while there ir X subs. And this is the real strategy. Think about it:

-- bad pvp map (odesen)

All this in only 1 year.

My favorite is the 2 boss OP even though I don't really raid, I think it is just a classic. Devs in other games are loling.

My favorite is the 2 boss OP even though I don't really raid, I think it is just a classic. Devs in other games are loling.

How short staffed/ under funded/bad do you need to be to only be able to put out TWO bosses in a year? TWO!!! What the hell...

-- bad pvp map (odesen)

All this in only 1 year.

Either that or EA/BW just has too much pride to admit when they've failed.

I see it similar to a movie director or artist who makes a movie or work of art that is critically panned and then says something like "you people wouldn't know good cinema/art if it bit you in the butt. I'm just too far ahead of my time with my creative ideas to be appreciated."

I have to call this out.

"worst daily planet ever (iokath)" <------ TRUTH!! I was expecting it to be on the same level as Black Hole or Czerka, but no.

"bad operation ( 2 lame bosses)" I haven't even attempted the 2 new bosses. Are they really that bad?

In closing, I fear SWTOR's tombstone will read "Best Expansion to Date!" and be next to SWG's (Star Wars Galaxy) tombstone that reads "NGE. What were we thinking?"

Agreed with you, but where is the golden days of this game with full operation content? only 2? Mechanics that pugs dont follow? Odessen objectives that ppl dont do it? Ah ok, I have 12564 hours of solo content to do. Cool.

PS: I love progression groups, but the game is dying, and when I finally find a group to do an Op, pugs cant complete it and rage quit. So frustrating .

And the game is not helping to make a great game again. Im no angry, Im just sad, really sad.

"bad operation ( 2 lame bosses)" I haven't even attempted the 2 new bosses. Are they really that bad?

Thats what Im saying, you still didnt do it. Why?? Cuz nobody is doing. Its simply not fun. not attracting.

BUT NO, its not bad. But we had great and full operations in the past. An now I feel like "take this 2 and shut up, player". Second boss has some complicated mechanics that pugs enrage quit. Being hard is not a problem at all, but when a game is dying and nobody is doing anything, when you find some, you just wanna HAVE SOME FUN. And the game is not helping.

Edited by Pazuzuh

I've not been here long enough to truly understand what is going on, but from my understanding, this game had a massive budget at the beginning. what, dare I ask, happened to it? Are voice actors that expensive?

Not as expensive as Blur trailers with poor marketing

Thats what Im saying, you still didnt do it. Why?? Cuz nobody is doing. Its simply not fun. not attracting.

BUT NO, its not bad. But we had great and full operations in the past. An now I feel like "take this 2 and shut up, player". Second boss has some complicated mechanics that pugs enrage quit. Being hard is not a problem at all, but when a game is dying and nobody is doing anything, when you find some, you just wanna HAVE SOME FUN. And the game is not helping.

I see your point. I know it was a rhetorical question, but the answer to your question (why I haven't I done the 2 new op bosses) is this.

Since Iokath was pretty bad (not sugar coating anything here), I decided to assume the op bosses would be of the same quality until proven otherwise. That's why I haven't done it. Also, don't you need like a bazillion iokath shards to even access the area? (you don't have to answer that; i doubt I'd try to do it anyway).

Edited by SolarSaenz

It does seem that even if there was one guy on the ops team he would be able to come up with more boss fights than 2.

Now in fairness I should say I have no interest in either ops boss, as my guild has left the game some time before 5.0 launched as there were no new ops. I'm very happy with the ESO way of things were I log in to a massive beautiful MMO and thanks to the combat and aesthetics and true play anyway you want, I can just do stuff I like in a massive world. Maybe some crafting, maybe a daily quest etc etc I don't like feeling that I have to be on every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for a raid. So I'm not the target audience for ops, but I don't believe either of these bosses has changed the very fabric of reality or redefined raiding.

So how can it take so long to put in new ops in 8 hour work day you should be able to come up with a fight that involves some DPS, some movements, something for the tank to do and damage that is inline with the target hps. Failing that, there aint a great deal that is new given the tools available, just rip off an eternal championship fight or one of the many boss fights in any other MMO. Maybe the ops are something new and never seen before, but really if 2 op bosses is you work load for 6 months thats got to be a nice job where you can phone it in most days.

I'm gosure my to post this again because I think it's fairly accurate what's going on around here.

"As the game more clearly enters a holding pattern, something which is clearly not healthy but doesn’t put it in danger of actually dying, the attempts to get you into the shop get more and more brazen. Which just makes the community double down on their jaded, weary anger. They’re angry at each other and they’re angry at Turbine (BW/EA in this case), all overlain with a constant nostalgia for the good days, the old days, when the level cap was 50, group content existed, and there was no cash shop."

The article that quote came from talks about games and maintenance mode. We're seeing a lot of it here.

The OP is on to something as well.

....So how can it take so long to put in new ops in 8 hour work day ....

I (and others) have suspected for a while that perhaps SWTOR developers just work on SWTOR part time, as a side project while other games (perhaps Anthem or Battlefront 2) are their main, priority projects.

Unless someone here works for BW studio Austin, none of us will never know for certain one way or the other.

It's all just one big conspiracy.

I think a BW dev took a dump on my porch. He wanted to prevent me from getting to work and so I would get fired, so the company's stock would go down, so he could buy it up and then re-sell it at a higher price.

These guys are so devious.

Your logic is flawed. He\she did this to get you fired so you have no money so you can't pay for sub so the game dies.

-- bad pvp map (odesen)

All this in only 1 year.

It's not about what BW wants. it's what about EA wants. And EA wants to milk the game for all it's worth while spending as little as possible on the game's support. Dont need to go looking for conspiracy when all can be explained by greed\desire to make money.

Edited by Gelious

Always those whinings about "all beeing too easy"......

This is a game not work....it's allright if you can chill at play....if you like to be stressed to the maximum just work longer in real life.....

Edited by Holanos

The article that quote came from talks about games and maintenance mode. We're seeing a lot of it here.
Can you link it?

I think it would be a great idea for the playerbase to collectively decide on what SWTOR official maintenance mode will look like. It's going to take them 2-3 years to prep it, and the alternative is that EA one day decides to cut funding and leave everything where it is at that time.

For example, they would do well to offer the full catalogue of cartel market items for direct sale, with few or no exceptions.

Can you link it?

I think it would be a great idea for the playerbase to collectively decide on what SWTOR official maintenance mode will look like. It's going to take them 2-3 years to prep it, and the alternative is that EA one day decides to cut funding and leave everything where it is at that time.

For example, they would do well to offer the full catalogue of cartel market items for direct sale, with few or no exceptions.

Article was easy to find using google.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/lord-of-the-rings-online-and-maintenance-mode.html

Note it is about LOTRO, and LOTRO is seeing - content wise at least - a bot of a renaissance; all it took was the game moving from a bad studio (Turbine) to a Studio with a passion for the game (SSG).

All The Best

How short staffed/ under funded/bad do you need to be to only be able to put out TWO bosses in a year? TWO!!! What the hell...

That is why I think it might be over.

It will end a churn mill, where new Star Wars fans regularly come online, sub for a while, put some money in the market and quit.

There are probably a good enough supply of new Star Wars fans to make that work until the whole idea of PC gaming drys up.

Six years in? Nah.

LOTRO is older than that and just moved studio.

The irony is that SSG are the same guys who were employed by Turbine to "develop" new content for the game, but since becoming independent of Turbine SSG have shown they have a very different idea as to what qualifies as content.

Mordor is a damn fine expac for LOTRO; only Mines Of Moria eclipses it really, but MoM was as good an expac as any MMORPG has ever seen IMO.

All The Best