Being "in combat" in group content is wacked imo

In groups, if one member is in combat, everyone is placed in combat, regardless if you are actually engaging the mob or even nearby. What is the purpose of this? if this has been discussed then what is the verdict? Are there plans to change this? It has a few stupid consequences as far as I am concerned.

Firstly:

Gathering is nearly impossible, unless the tank stops, which is not likely.

Secondly:

If you are lagging behind, even just a little bit, then you lose your SPRINT buff and take even longer to catch up. This is especially crappy for healers.

You can come up with a lot of lame arguments like:

ask the group to slow down so you can gather....

OR pay attention and do not get behind slacker!

But seriously...I do not see what the point of forcing the entire group into combat because on person gets aggro. Not to mention how annoying it must be if one guy wanders off to aggro the boss and then everyone gets jumped because of it.

Edited by KoranHorn

I believe it should rely on distance. If you're within say... 100 meters, you automatically become in combat. I see your points, and I'm sure there is SOME compromise. My biggest beef with this is when I need to go on an elevator (again, as a healer) to get to my group but they accidentally aggroed. I can't go up the elevator because I'm "in combat". Luckily, I can just stealth but still...

Nessercary feature really.

Otherwise, you could have people out of combat on tougher fights just sit to one side and ress.

I have never played an MMO that auto aggroed you like SWTOR. I have also never seen people sit on the sidelines to rez. Usually bosses have a larger aggro area, that includes anyone in the group nearby. Random mobs...usually you have to be within the mobs aggro range, or have contributed to the encounter (ie healing, buffing dpsing, cc, etc) in order to be thrown in combat. SWToR's aggro system for dungeons is truly broken. The issue with elevators is also incredibly problematic.

In groups, if one member is in combat, everyone is placed in combat, regardless if you are actually engaging the mob or even nearby. What is the purpose of this? if this has been discussed then what is the verdict? Are there plans to change this? It has a few stupid consequences as far as I am concerned.

Firstly:

Gathering is nearly impossible, unless the tank stops, which is not likely.

Secondly:

If you are lagging behind, even just a little bit, then you lose your SPRINT buff and take even longer to catch up. This is especially crappy for healers.

You can come up with a lot of lame arguments like:

ask the group to slow down so you can gather....

OR pay attention and do not get behind slacker!

But seriously...I do not see what the point of forcing the entire group into combat because on person gets aggro. Not to mention how annoying it must be if one guy wanders off to aggro the boss and then everyone gets jumped because of it.

so the reasons that you shouldnt be lagging behind are lame? im guessing your one of those players that stop mid combat to loot corpses too. also, you really havent played wow since early vanilla or rift, or eq2 etc?

Well, as an imperial operative this is VERY annoying. Sleep Dart requires I be stealth and out of combat to use (plus it has a range of 5m) which means if someone else aggros early I cannot use it. Also, if the CC gets broken early I cannot use my cloak overload to enter stealth and reCC (which has 3 minute cooldown).

Well, as an imperial operative this is VERY annoying. Sleep Dart requires I be stealth and out of combat to use (plus it has a range of 5m) which means if someone else aggros early I cannot use it. Also, if the CC gets broken early I cannot use my cloak overload to enter stealth and reCC (which has 3 minute cooldown).

so the reason group combat is bad is because players play poorly?

so the reason group combat is bad is because players play poorly?

Players who are annoyed tend to play poorly.

A game that has annoying mechanics tends to agitate the players.

When agitated most people don't enjoy their experience and just find it an annoyance.

Its a nice circle.

There is no excuse for poorly designed mechanics, a game's difficulty should be in its creativity not in lack of user friendly design and bugs.