Weekly server maintenance EU times?

Crenshaw

US companies do maintenance during the lowest server pop time of their primary player base which is the US. Asian MMOs do theirs during their times. It's not a new concept. It's once a week. Get over it.

Except Blizzard which happens to be by far more successful than Bioware/EA.

In fact they have more EU customers at this moment.

Also a small company like Trion can provide it.

A companies service is as good as the customer demands it to be.

Clearly your comment shows you prefer poor customer service.

That and you think demanding better service and voicing your opinion should not be done.

Let's just say , you're contribution is zero you can stop posting now.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll ask you again..why would the EU have more playing in the early hours AM than the US.You keep saying they have no facts of server population times for the EU.Why then have they decided that the US least populated time is in the AM and the EU is during the day?What have they based this on?again i will point out that we are asking for 2 SEPERATE down times.I can go to my city at 3PM and it is crowded,i go there at 3AM and it is a ghost town i wonder why...most people are in bed sleeping maybe?

They can't have based it on much because the first Tuesday this game launched was the beginning of head start. We already know that there was a controlled amount let in on this particular day, so this cannot be counted as a solid day on which to base any research.

The following Tuesday was the 20th and a normal day, though many schools and universities were finished for Christmas which means higher numbers might have been playing than usual.

The Tuesday after was the 27th, a public holiday in much of the EU and a time when many people wished to play but couldn't because the servers were down all day.

So did BioWare take the figures on 20th December as the basis for their claim that it was one of the least populated times? One day? A single day of research on which to base their entire case of when to schedule weekly maintenance?

The more I think about it, the more the whole thing just stinks that they chose a time that was best for them and the US players and didn't think to consider the EU at all.

Edited by Mandrax

US companies do maintenance during the lowest server pop time of their primary player base which is the US. Asian MMOs do theirs during their times. It's not a new concept. It's once a week. Get over it.

Why spend money on a customer service center and have servers in Ierland then?(EU) please show me where the figures to show that the US has the bigger players base. US population and you can include Canada is a lot,lot less than the EU,stop assuming that the US has a bigger player base there are no OFFICAL fugures to support it.Read and understand we want seperate times from the US we are not trying to interfere with your maintainance times.

The real question is why do Americans care if we get a separated maintenance.

Why would you even bother trying to argue about that.

I take separated servers/forums/maintenance any day over this garbage here.

I don't think some of the people in this thread realise that what the Europeans want doesn't affect the Americans at all, zip, nada, not in the slightest...

Except Blizzard which happens to be by far more successful than Bioware/EA.

In fact they have more EU customers at this moment.

Also a small company like Trion can provide it.

A companies service is as good as the customer demands it to be.

Clearly your comment shows you prefer poor customer service.

That and you think demanding better service and voicing your opinion should not be done.

Let's just say , you're contribution is zero you can stop posting now.

It's not only those two companies, even Turbine who have all their servers situated in the US perform maintenance at a reasonable hour (5am-11am GMT).

Conversations are splitting up a bit so I'll try to get to them in one post when I can. But, the posts get long, sorry. :(

You do understand that we are asking for seperate down time? AM for the US, AM for EU the day makes no difference at all to the MAJORITY of EU players if it's 3AM.

Yes. I do. Another person wasn't very specific and made it sound like they wanted a different day in the same time slot was all.

Would you accept that if it was you in that position? Do you think it's fair that a large chunk of the day is lost due to maintenance whereas another part of the world has it done whilst they are sleeping?

This does affect me, my play time during a work day is typically from midnight till 11am. So, it does affect me. If it didn't then I wouldn't be in here discussing any of it. I'm a bit on your side with moving the time-slot because I would have another place to play while the US servers would be getting an update. But, it depends on what that would cost.

I'll ask you again..why would the EU have more playing in the early hours AM than the US.You keep saying they have no facts of server population times for the EU.Why then have they decided that the US least populated time is in the AM and the EU is during the day?What have they based this on?again i will point out that we are asking for 2 SEPERATE down times.I can go to my city at 3PM and it is crowded,i go there at 3AM and it is a ghost town i wonder why...most people are in bed sleeping maybe?

I'm not saying BW/EA don't have any facts. I'm saying we don't. We don't know what they base it on. I know you want separate times which might or might not be what you think is off-peak hours but without facts from the source we don't know what they are. Lets ask for those facts first, and then tear EA/BW a new arse if they don't match up.

Regarding other MMO's having EU servers and different time slots for updates. In a way I agree that it is possible and not incredibly difficult to do. But, again. Until the facts come in about how many people it affects I just can't support switching it.

I am one of the minority that don't get to play during the downtime and I am not comfortable with taking away the play time of 10 others just so that I could play.

TL;DR: BTW: Happy new year and cheers! Time for a beer!

They have the same facts for both EU and US so,how did they decide that the US has less players in the AM than EU? i fail to understand why you yanks are so against seperate down times for the EU and US,it will not affect you at all if you are happy with your down time will it?

I saw it before, it made me laugh.

But that said it's pretty arrogant and the response on the EU maintenance thread was close to this.

Yes it is pretty arrogant. I assume you're starting to see the same pattern I'm seeing.

I'm not saying BW/EA don't have any facts. I'm saying we don't. We don't know what they base it on. I know you want separate times which might or might not be what you think is off-peak hours but without facts from the source we don't know what they are. Lets ask for those facts first, and then tear EA/BW a new arse if they don't match up.

You keep going on about when these facts come out, listen, they are NEVER going to come out if BioWare want to keep the window as it is. They aren't going to release facts that prove that they are performing maintenance at a time when many people want to play, it would make them look stupid and EU players would kick up even more of a fuss. Besides, we are never going to know if those 'facts' are actually facts or just doctored figures to bolster their right to perform maintenance at a time they want to.

As I've posted on two separate occasions, you only have to look at other MMOs and their schedules, all the ones I can think of perform EU maintenance through the night EU time. Are all of those MMOs wrong and BioWare right? Or is it more likely to be that the all those other MMOs are right and BioWare are wrong?

Edited by Mandrax

Yes it is pretty arrogant. I assume you're starting to see the same pattern I'm seeing.

For quite a while yes, hate to admit it but Blizzards idea to separate along with their EU customer treatment is way above anything EA/BW has to offer.

Guess it shows who is the better company.

That said we all know how it paid off for EA when they did it with Warhammer and the EU community.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

For quite a while yes, hate to admit it but Blizzards idea to separate along with their EU customer treatment is way above anything EA/BW has to offer.

Guess it shows who is the better company.

That said we all know how it paid off for EA when they did it with Warhammer and the EU community.

Just amazes me BioWare manages to get so many things wrong when a perfect launch was what they were going for... Considering the budget of the game, I honestly don't understand how these basic things could've gone wrong. I am rapidly losing my fanboyism :D

Gentlemen and all you others...

the solution is simple...

While keeping the website together will give access to devs etc is a good idea.

it is also a good idea to separate the server maintanence so that america (meaning all of the servers on that side of the world) gets maintained night time their time and european or middle east gets maintained during night time for us.

That requires 2 teams of server mantanence crews and I think that with the money we shell into BW they can easely afford to do this.

That will keep everyone happy...no?

so BW, make it so

Gentlemen and all you others...

the solution is simple...

While keeping the website together will give access to devs etc is a good idea.

it is also a good idea to separate the server maintanence so that america (meaning all of the servers on that side of the world) gets maintained night time their time and european or middle east gets maintained during night time for us.

That requires 2 teams of server mantanence crews and I think that with the money we shell into BW they can easely afford to do this.

That will keep everyone happy...no?

so BW, make it so

Totally agree

And the worst is that we're paying for a Beta. This game at the present is far from a release product, in every aspect, the content and service.

Edited by CovenantOfDeath

Totally agree

And the worst is that we're paying for a Beta. This game at the present is far from a release product, in every aspect, the content and service.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but it's clear that quite a few things could've been given a lot more thought. Including a decision on BioWare's public attitude towards its paying customers, a little respect wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I understand the theory of all servers being patched together but as usual theory fails. Look at the last over-run... straight into prime time in the EU.

Europe needs it's own patching schedule 2am is good for the US and 2am would be good for EU too...... just our 2am and not theirs :D

BW need to look at the number of EU customers it has and stop ignoring us. :D

Well at least they noticed the size of the thread since they had to recreate it.

Maybe that means they'll actually read it and realize how many pissed customers they have in Europe right now!

Edited by Doctorfun

Well at least they noticed the size of the thread since they had to recreate it.

Maybe that means they'll actually read it and realize how many pissed customers they have in Europe right now!

I wouldn't hold my breath. Only way to even have them think about changing their minds is bad publicity. Shareholders don't read the forum, decision makers at EA don't read the forums and let's face it, we aren't worth much to them. We are just the "vocal minority".

I suggest we start alerting the media, sites like eurogamer.net and possibly RPS. A 1000 posts thread and a lot of unhappy customer should at least warrant a small news post.

We win nothing by discussing all the off-topic stuff that's been creeping up in here.

Shareholders don't read the forum,
Actually they do well some will. Part of investing in a company is seeing how well its customers are taking to the companies products and/or services. If they see angry customers and seeing them leaving the game and EA profits going down EA gets less people investing them.

decision makers at EA don't read the forums
I am willing to bet some do but more than often its barely a handful and at most they scan the front page and maybe look at a couple of threads.

and let's face it, we aren't worth much to them.
Worth more than you think. Saying that the US market/player base IS bigger than that of the EU market, which means they are going to cater to the US players more than the EU ones (basic follow the money logic). This does not mean voting with your wallet won't apply here. Because I wager if enough EU players stop subbing EA will take note, but as far as server maintenance goes I doubt it will change. Having two different time slots crates more work for the IT guys than you may think.

We are just the "vocal minority".
Well you are and so far most people on the forum.