My first ever rage quit

Been there as well, that's why I never use the gf for kp. The headache and frustration aren't worth the bh comms.

Thanks for reminding me why I don't tank for non-guildies. I offer my kudos to the OP for his gentlemanly behavior and to all the posts to this thread I salute you sirs. I ran so much group finder that I got burned out from the same antics. Voice over group is so useful and should be part of this game. I can tank dumb but I can't fix stupid. I am all for helping newplayers out. But I am burned, and I decided to talk with my guildmaster and told him I am burned from raiding. That I have no interest in it anymore, so I retired as a guild main tank. Yeah, I am burned for tanking for guildmembers. That might be considered a new one. Before the replys come, I will put a disclaimer. I really like the people in my guild its just I have tanked too much for them. Been through all content too much to help the newest 50's get their feet wet.

It isn't rage quiting- I guess I would call it passive quiting.

DPS is skill, Healing is art and Tanking is strategy.

Know the pull before hand.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, first I would like to commend the OP for the patience displayed for the PuG groups as most people nowadays are all "Me me me, now now now" and basically giving new player zero chance to learn. With that said, however, here is a few tips which you can be a successful PuG leader without doing anything fancy. Now, before I do, the disclaimer I am going to say is: This may not work on all occasion as there are "exceptions" who are just creatures of pure spite/ignorance/stubborn/apathetic to be convinced to succeed. Also, these tips works best when loot rules are Master Looter and the setting is an Operation.

1. Before the group even start pulling the first trash pack, make this one single point clear: "IF YOU WANT LOOT, THEN DON'T DO STUPID STUFF". Then outline what you consider as "stupid stuff" so everyone is clear. This will generally discourage "Gung-ho" DPS trying to pad their non-existing meters. Or tanks/heals trying to show off their ego by biting off more than they can handle.

2. When explaining fights, treat your audience like idiots. I mean it. Explain the mechanic in the most simplistic way possible. Keep your sentences short, clear and concise. Don't EVER type out the entire fight in one single wall of text. Chances are people will just risk winging it than try to read through it. After done explaining, ask if the new people understood what you said and FORCE them to answer you ("If you don't answer in any way, I won't pull/we won't start). Reason behind this is, people have very short attention span online. This applies to all ages, all ethnicity and genders. If you can't explain the needed mechanic in 1-2 min, chances are your audience will space you out. Also not everyone has English as their dominant language.

3. Tying into #2 from above. With each boss ALWAYS ask your group if everyone understands the fight. Remind your group that it is OKAY to NOT know the fight, and that speaking up will not get them kicked. Most of the people try to "blend" in and pretend that they know what they are doing because they had experienced situation where they spoke up and it affected them negatively. Generally, when I say I won't kick people just because they don't know the fight, I usually get 4-5 people say they don't immediately after. You can further reinforce #3 with elements from #1 saying "If I catch you screwing up on the most obvious mechanic and you didn't say you were new; you don't get loot"

4. Always verbally reward your group to keep your group's morale high. Humans are animals and animals like to be rewarded. If your group performs brilliantly, let them know that, a group with high morale are more likely to focus more and perform better. If they are not, tell them that too. I prefer to point out mistakes as bluntly as possible and not sugarcoat stuff. That way your group at least know you mean business and in charge and that you are not going to willingly lead them to wipe fest.

5. (Bonus) Know tips and tricks of other classes that are not apparent in "everyday" use, particularly new players who are just entering mass group play situations. For examples, some Commandos do not know they have a in-combat rez, interrupt ability (Distracting round) or a CC (Concussive Round) or Guardians who do know they can leap to FRIENDLY targets via Guardian Leap, Shadow/Scoundrels can do in-combat stealth+normal rez, Sages can pull friendly targets to their position via Rescue, Sentinels not knowing about Rebuke/Pacify/Guarded by the Force/ Inspiration/Transcendence/Valorous Call or Gunslingers not knowing about Flourish Shots and Scrambling Field (Raid wide 10m 30% dmg reduction "bubble").

By following these 5 points above, I had led countless seemingly hopeless PuGs to success and had gotten numerous "Hey good raid leading, that was my first time clearing [insert Operation here]" or similar whispers. This has been always been my personal motto "If you can't carry the team to success by yourself, then you are simply not good enough". ;)

To the OP;

Unfortunately, it's Years of those things happening to me on lots of different MMO's that slowly, and surely moulded me into an Elitist.

I now am a Nazi with Pug groups. If I ever need to do a Pug, I make sure I lead it, so I can say who we do and don't take on board.

I feel that players that refuse to listen and be aware of themselves when they DECIDE to do GROUP operations, they don't deserve other people's time.

Unfortunately, I've found that having very little patience with these kind of players, may be unfriendly or unpolite, but It sure saves a MASSIVE ammount of time.

Edited by Alohen

Just had a Run like this in KP, the problem was not the tank but a OP healer and his guildmate MDPS. The MDPS knew what he was doing, and was nice enough to explain to the new people we even had a first time tank (but he was geared).

The problem we had was the OP healer would pull, would stand in colored circles. It got so bad I started pulling him out of the circles on my sorc (he was spending all his time healing himself instead of moveing out of the stuff and healing the tank.

The thing that caused me to quit was on the Droid myself and the mdps were working the puzzle we told everyone to stay off the belt as we would burn left than middle than back to left. The OP healer kept standing under the middle burn spot. I pulled him out twice (lucky my CD was nearly the same as out timing). After the third wipe because of this as we all come back he yells at me for pulling him. I whisper his guild mate asking if the guy was serious are just stupid? the reply was stupid, I walked. Guess the whole group quit because the OP healer was complaining on general chat in fleet telling everyone he was going to report me for harresment because I was pulling him during a SM OP. Needless to say he is on my ignore list on all toons.

What is up with PUGs this week? Ive rage quit multiple times today across 4 level 50 characters trying to finish the HM daily.

Had a PUG with 2 15k health healers(one of the DPS commandos was in healing stance the entire time). I was only ever healed when my health dropped below 30%(I was the tank and held aggro on everything). Almost died to the pack in front of the first cutscene door in Kaon. Rage quit.

Had a PUG with 3 people between 12-14k health. ....how the hell do people still have under 15k health with free recruit/tionese? Rage quit.

Accepted an already-in-progress Ilum with another DPS. I knew the first pack would start to aggro if the FP takes too long, so I stayed at the transporter and mentioned this to the group. But nope, the clueless DPS that arrived with me aggroed them and got me killed. Rage quit.

Ended up in a fresh Battlefield for Ilum. I told them right at the start to hug the rails and follow me(I went slow). Two didn't listen and died from the exaust zone. Had to kill the first pack because they took too long. Still feeling patient, I kept going. Instead of following me, the clueless tank kept following the rails ALL THE WAY TO THE END. He jumped off, then ran through 3 packs to get to where I was standing. Rage quit.

Next up, Taral V. A DPS dropped out right at the start. I stopped before the first non-skippable pack because I know that pack respawns fast and our 4th member wouldn't be able to get passed it alone. Our healer and DPS kept going without me. Not only did they get past the first non-skippable pack, but ended up aggroing the mini-boss just up ahead. Our new 4th member arrived just in time to watch the other derps die. Still feeling patient, I pressed on. After the first boss, our derpy DPS and healer managed to aggro 3 skippable packs... at the same damn time. Somehow we lived and I pressed on. We went around the building that held the 2nd boss, but our derpy DPS was at it again. Rage quit.

I hate the holidays.

Edited by ruminate

What is up with PUGs this week? Ive rage quit multiple times today across 4 level 50 characters trying to finish the HM daily.

Had a PUG with 2 15k health healers(one of the DPS commandos was in healing stance the entire time). I was only ever healed when my health dropped below 30%(I was the tank and held aggro on everything). Almost died to the pack in front of the first cutscene door in Kaon. Rage quit.

Had a PUG with 3 people between 12-14k health. ....how the hell do people still have under 15k health with free recruit/tionese? Rage quit.

Accepted an already-in-progress Ilum with another DPS. I knew the first pack would start to aggro if the FP takes too long, so I stayed at the transporter and mentioned this to the group. But nope, the clueless DPS that arrived with me aggroed them and got me killed. Rage quit.

Ended up in a fresh Battlefield for Ilum. I told them right at the start to hug the rails and follow me(I went slow). Two didn't listen and died from the exaust zone. Had to kill the first pack because they took too long. Still feeling patient, I kept going. Instead of following me, the clueless tank kept following the rails ALL THE WAY TO THE END. He jumped off, then ran through 3 packs to get to where I was standing. Rage quit.

Next up, Taral V. A DPS dropped out right at the start. I stopped before the first non-skippable pack because I know that pack respawns fast and our 4th member wouldn't be able to get passed it alone. Our healer and DPS kept going without me. Not only did they get past the first non-skippable pack, but ended up aggroing the mini-boss just up ahead. Our new 4th member arrived just in time to watch the other derps die. Still feeling patient, I pressed on. After the first boss, our derpy DPS and healer managed to aggro 3 skippable packs... at the same damn time. Somehow we lived and I pressed on. We went around the building that held the 2nd boss, but our derpy DPS was at it again. Rage quit.

I hate the holidays.

Had three bad HM FP this morning one with the tank and the healer drunk, and gave up and went into a WZ to get smashed (as that seems like a lot more fun than a bad HM FP). The next few days I suggest just spending time with the family don't try to run anything.

I have only rage quit when a few things happen. Mostly if someone has less than 15k hp (Tionese& Recruit is going to add up to 16k at least!) or if I check the tank and they are in dps gear/spec (Also, being a Shadow Tank, when I do Rep side on my healer/dps ... I can tell FOR SURE if they aren't spec'ed XD). These people in 13k-14k hp just want to be carried through stuff (I wouldn't do it to people, why should I let them do it to me?). The only reason I don't quit when they have the mix is because I believe that if they are at least TRYING somewhat then I have no problem.

It would also have to depend on the HM FP as well ... did a BT HM on my Jugg DPS (18k hp) with a healer at 18K, DPS Sorc at 16K and the Jugg Tank at 19K ... NO wipes ... NO deaths ... Good run, no hassle. (Strange how it works out huh?)

I hate the holidays.

Ahaha :D Skip less and actually kill the easy thrash so you end up suffering less unnecassry deaths! Less skipping, less wiping :D

Battle of Ilum. I'm healer. Tank and one DPS are massively overgeared and skipping by hugging the walls and stunning everything. No big deal, except they are pushing way out ahead. I'm not the greatest skipper and slow when I manage.

Just past the ice cave the two are far ahead. I pull. Other DPS comes back and helps, but I let myself die saving him. Can't be found to rez. Respawn and I'm back behind all of the stunned stuff. Will they come back? Nope. The are pushing ahead.

I rage quit on myself :rolleyes:.

I don't mind skipping in a reasonable manner. I hate this crap of skipping where even a tiny misstep results in pulling.