$10-$15 for armor sets/crystals? Really?

PoliteAssasin

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Survival of the fittest,

You say that as if the guilty was all "ours", but nature itself has it's own ways to get rid of the "weak"

Being born into privilege and opportunity isn't exactly a Darwinian struggle against ones own genetic traits. Your comment makes it seem like over half of the first world wouldn't die in a heartbeat if asked to fend for themselves, which is a total farce.

This was exactly the sort of thing that I was worried about when SWTOR decided to go F2P. Subscribers shouldn't have to pay extra atop their subscription to have access to any in-game content. Now, it would be one thing if all these items were available in-game (at a reasonable chance of acquiring them) for in-game credits for Subscribers, and they could optionally pay Cartel Coins for things to give them access to them swifter (ie currency/experience "boosters", or "licenses" that make some items available below their normal requirements in game, such as an item that cuts the price of mounts and driving licenses in half etc...), but I find it repugnant if someone paying $15 a month is told they have to buy a 320 Cartel Coin "lottery ticket" to have a CHANCE to get the Sith Meditation Throne; and that is the only way to get in in game. Its preposterous that the "neat stuff" should be denied to those who are already paying the full subscription fee per month unless they pony up more cash.

At absolute minimum, I think we as the community need to insist that

1. ALL items, cosmetic and otherwise, should be available through a reasonably accessible in-game method for subscribers.

2. The "Stipend" needs to be much higher to encourage both F2P users to subscribe, and subscribers to play and enjoy their included bonus Cartel coins by spending them on "boosters" for various things.

SWTOR ended up with the "TORTanic" and necessitated its switch-over to F2P because of cutting corners, lack of content added at a reasonably swift manner and more. Huge numbers of players played at the start and found that it just didn't hold up to other MMOs and not enough was being done to improve and make the game a better value. The answer to getting renewed interest in the F2P model is not to put all the "cool stuff" and updates that many of us paid our $15 expecting to see on the way, behind an additional paywall for those who are willing to actually subscribe!

I'm so bloody tired of the greed. The model that allowed MMORPGS to rise to prominence in the West (including WoW's meteoric rise to millions of new subscribers, all before they started offering pets/mounts that were not charity-donations) was the "All you can play subscription model". You pay your monthly fee, you get complete access to the in-game experience. Cosmetic items were accessed through in-game means; you didn't need to pull out your wallet again. You paid, you played as you wished. If that meant you raided the biggest bosses, fine. If that meant you wanted to find every posh set of clothing in the game, fine. There was no bias, no tax on players that wanted to enjoy cosmetic items etc... Now, we're seeing developers who want it both ways. The playerbase needs to show this isn't acceptable, but sadly thus far they keep opening their wallets again and again. You should not put up with being nickled and dimed...or rather "5-dollared" again and again atop your subscription fee for ANY kind of in-game content! Until people stop and vehemently reject this paradigm, I don't see many changes coming. I hope it is early enough in the process that for SWTOR at least, these elements can be tweaked and "reconsidered".

This. I agree with you and Jumajin too.

I agree that some things in the store are just priced too high. The armor sets for 1200cc's are good example. They really should be priced around 600 or so. At that price point I probably would have picked up a couple of them by now. At 1200 a set? No way.

I hope going forward when they add more to the market that they price the new sets more reasonably.

Sadly this is on par with most other mmos. I am sure Bioware researched prices and as far as I can tell everything is competitive meaning everything will always be over priced for virtual crap.

Availability of items in game will never occur as well as this is also on par with most other cash shop models. Also this game would have went f2p anyway just as nearly all other recent themepark games have, will or launched with. To say Swtor went f2p because of failed expectations isn't entirely correct. It is the most popular payment model out there and subs only is the exception.

Everyone screams for f2p to come just as quickly as everyone whines about how it is set up. Swtor is set up mostly as a f2p trial anyway. Limiting free loaders is very important for a company and to preserve the economy for committed and contributing players and to ensure EA Bioware actually makes money. Gold farmer spam is also a side affect but I wouldn't blame the players for this by demanding f2p (a horrible payment model) as you don't need it if a game can maintain it's player base. Swtor could not do to a finite content vs system driven player created content.

Edited by Tamanous

Most sets can be found on the GTN. So, you could also save up your credits.

That is correct, That's how I bought all my stuff but the current CC:Credit ratio is around 100 to 150k-500k. That makes it rather difficult for lion's bunch of the players to get a single armor set if an individual piece is up for 500k on gtn.

This is the price of vanity in a game. I'm vain and I have disposable income.

This might make some sense if they had put anything in the cash shop that wasn't just the 20th palette swap on the same tired old five or eight armor skins we've been stuck with since launch. They did literally zero design work on this stuff, and couldn't even bother to make the colors match on some of the sets (which STILL isn't fixed even though they've patched twice). And they can't even bother to make full sets out of these, but expect people to pay $10 -15 and not even get matching belt and bracers with them.

The gear is uniformly crap so far, and isn't worth anything, let alone what they're charging. The level 35 +41 crystals are ok, but still overpriced.

That said, the prices are reasonable on stuff like the account wide unlocks for cargo bay and inventory,and the instant quick travel is nice to have when you don't feel like waiting for the CD or running home through a three-level dungeon. It's also nice to have the option to pay $$$ for big ticket legacy unlocks like the GTN terminal, or to perk out a new toon with CC instead of dumping millions of credits on it. Other than the gear, they have done a fair job with other stuff that was outrageously priced in credits, but is pretty reasonable in CC terms.

The only thing I'm upset about, is that there's not 300+ orange sets of armor for sale...

What he said. Bioware if you're listening, please just put:

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/68348/2243216-1162679526anakin_skywalker.jpg

and

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PyNeQAb55UY/TqgTnsvX3DI/AAAAAAAAAlE/ZQPLhUixfHM/s1600/LukeSkywalker2.jpg

Please note the second is just a black tunic and pants for goodness sakes. BIOWARE, please just SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY darnit!! :jawa_mad:

It's also a simple calculation.

If at 1200 coins you sell say, 1000 armour sets, then you get people to spend 120k points

If then you lower the price to 600 and you then sell 1500 of them, people spend 90k points. That's 50% more sales but 25% less profit. So why would they want to do that to themselves, especially since the prices are on par with other games.

I haven't bought any because I don't like any of them, but once they bring out better ones I probably would. And yes I have a sub.

Why? Because it's worth it to me then. But BW would have to sell at least double to warrant a price cut like people suggested and I doubt that will happen.

But if this enemy is going to look like a swamp thing (Inquisitor gear...) it will honestly make me not feel like playing Star Wars.

Okay, but it still doesn't effect how the game is played. Whether or not it causes you to play is a separate issue.

It's also a simple calculation.

If at 1200 coins you sell say, 1000 armour sets, then you get people to spend 120k points

If then you lower the price to 600 and you then sell 1500 of them, people spend 90k points. That's 50% more sales but 25% less profit. So why would they want to do that to themselves, especially since the prices are on par with other games.

I haven't bought any because I don't like any of them, but once they bring out better ones I probably would. And yes I have a sub.

Why? Because it's worth it to me then. But BW would have to sell at least double to warrant a price cut like people suggested and I doubt that will happen.

Or they could sell for 750 CC and get people to buy 1500 sets and up with 112.5K points. I'm a new player and I'm nearing level 31 so the Investigator looks way better than what I have and it has better stats too but I wouldn't drop 1200 for a set that I would probably use for ~10 levels. I'm sure I'm not the only player who feels that way. I don't mind buying coins (in fact, I bought 2400 yesterday) but to me the price has to be right. The Investigator complete set isn't being sold on my server but the 3 pieces that are there are going for 180k, 250k and 540k. I don't have a million credits to buy it (and neither do most new players at my level) so that's out of the question.

I don't think you'd be encouraging people to buy stuff if you're pricing it that high. Sure they lose initial profits on sets but if sell a set for 750 instead of 1200 that would leave the player 450 coins that they could use for other things. This player would most likely be more satisfied that he/she got more than one thing from his/her coins. It sort of gives the impression they're getting more bang for their bucks and they'd probably be willing to buy coins again.

Same goes for everything else in the cartel market. If you want more people to buy you have to price more reasonably.

Edited by Atrimentus

Or they could sell for 750 CC and get people to buy 1500 sets and up with 112.5K points. I'm a new player and I'm nearing level 31 so the Investigator looks way better than what I have and it has better stats too but I wouldn't drop 1200 for a set that I would probably use for ~10 levels. I'm sure I'm not the only player who feels that way. I don't mind buying coins (in fact, I bought 2400 yesterday) but to me the price has to be right. The Investigator complete set isn't being sold on my server but the 3 pieces that are there are going for 180k, 250k and 540k. I don't have a million credits to buy it (and neither do most new players at my level) so that's out of the question.

I don't think you'd be encouraging people to buy stuff if you're pricing it that high. Sure they lose initial profits on sets but if sell a set for 750 instead of 1200 that would leave the player 450 coins that they could use for other things. This player would most likely be more satisfied that he/she got more than one thing from his/her coins. It sort of gives the impression they're getting more bang for their bucks and they'd probably be willing to buy coins again.

Same goes for everything else in the cartel market. If you want more people to buy you have to price more reasonably.

The sets in the CC are modable. So if you use it only for 10 levels, that's on you. You can continue to use the set, and replace the mods.

When you go to the movies and spend $15 you get two hours of enjoyment. What substantial item did you get from your 2 hours at the movies? If you spend $15 on an armor or item that you're going to use in game for more than two hours, you're actually getting more enjoyment out of your game spent $15 than you did out of your movie spent $15.

That is most definetly not true. Nobody can tell me what I get more enjoyment out of except for me. Think about it. How could anyone know my exact "satisfaction" I receive from consuming anything? This concept is basic in demand side economics. It applies here. I am the only one to is capable of determining if my $120 in cartel coins give me more utilitythat $120 on a new jacket or gadget. In your example you clearly value the armor purchase better, which is great for you. The problem arises when you assume everyone else shares your value of the coins or even the movie.

I am forced to agree that the gear sets are pricey. The crystal is aswell, especially if it end up becoming obsolete when a higher tier of stats comes around. They need to remove the stats from crystals or they are useless.

Scale them. That would be appropriate. No uber stat advantage on lower levels anymore :)

Point: Items can be sold on GTN for obscene prices in Credits

does it matter how much it costs on STORE when the majority of people will pick up the same stuff on GTN. There are people using the cartel store right now as a way to transfer real money into in game currencey. Its now super easy to have millions of credits just by spending a couple hundred on cartel store and selling the stuff on GTN.

I personally think its silly .... but its the way its been set up for a reason. I am sure as newer stuff comes out the older stuff will be reduced in cost or go on sale regularly. Also i am sure items from cartel packs will be added to single purchase set as soon as they have new rare and interesting pets and mounts and gear sets roated in OR alternatively lower prices of current cartel packs and add NEW cartel packs and current prices with new items in them.

Future is clouded by the darkside .... hard to see it is.

Scale them. That would be appropriate. No uber stat advantage on lower levels anymore :)

They already addressed the UBER STAT ADVANTAGE issue.... cause its not an uber advantage. its a moderate amount of hps at lvl 10 but by lvl 30 its completely balanced out again and dps increases from power crystals is moderate cause you dont have a ton of power at low levels anyway so your dps increase is marginal in the pre 40 bracket and is balanced in the end game bracket.

They did it intentionally to allow people to die less in the first 20 levels.

TBH.... if they made it that you did too much damage at low levels ... all it would do is make leveling faster. The majority of people would roll more alts if it didnt take so long to raise an alt AND raid/FP/daily the current 50s.

Some mounts in EQ2 go for 25$ and many armor sets go for 8-15$ dollar range,i see nothing wrong with the prices in the Cartel Market.

If this game had housing like they do in EQ2 they could sell tons of house related items.

Yeah the store opens up the question of housing potential. I dont think they have the ability to do open world housing like SWG did but i think customizing your own ship at lvl 50 rather then using the LOANER ship you get at 15 would be quite an interesting thing. Collect parts in a large quest line (like HK quest) to get your base ship ... then they could sell cosmetic features for your ship, allow people to customize the exterior and interior of there ship and still have all the required features like holoterminal and what not needed for quests.

Could make some of it legacy bound or legacy required to appease people who have been looking for the answer to the most important question "Why the hell did i grind to legacy 50 since there are no real benifits after 20?"

There are tons of benefits, especially now that you can unlock items with cartel cons--basically for free, with a little patience, if you're a subscriber. Look in Legacy/character perks and Legacy/other. I love my ship gtn and mailbox, my field repair droid and the ability to respec anywhere, for example.

The stuff in the cartel shop is fairly inexpensive, especially when you compare the cost to actually working for the items in game, either by game play or by crafting..

Edited by errant_knight

The prices for items on the cartel market is just way too high. Do you really expect people to pay ten to fifteen dollars for an armor set or color crystals? These prices need to be somewhat reduced. The cartel conversion from cash to cc is fine, but lower the price of actual armor sets and crystals a bit.

Its not too high, if you want too high look at Funcom's The Secret World, 20 dollars for an outfit that is character bound only.