Disappointed With The Romance Options

HungryMurloc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Scourge much better than selfish Doc also. Scourge's talks about how he doesn't really feel anymore and about his faint memories of his last lover are more compelling than Doc whining about not being famous.

This would be a perfect opening for Scourge to rediscover his feelings ,with the female Jedi Knight. And the comments about him training the children would fit in nicely also. A Jedi knight falling for a Sith Lord, could be a fun story.

believe it or not, some of us actually buy video games for gameplay and a star wars story experience

not for a waifu/husbando simulator

If I imagined myself as my character I am roleplaying, I would never romance Dorne or Grell. I don't want that kind of personality in a relationship.

I don't have a single romance playthrough on my characters, and I really enjoyed the platonic, friendship and sometimes rivalry, it allows them to stay in character more and remain consistent with my own character's personality. Not everything is about bad fanfic romance, go read a novel if you want that

believe it or not, some of us actually buy video games for gameplay and a star wars story experience

If I imagined myself as my character I am roleplaying, I would never romance Dorne or Grell. I don't want that kind of personality in a relationship.

I don't have a single romance playthrough on my characters, and I really enjoyed the platonic, friendship and sometimes rivalry, it allows them to stay in character more and remain consistent with my own character's personality. Not everything is about bad fanfic romance, go read a novel if you want that

I've never heard many complaints about Mako. And I don't think many players play TOR strictly because of the romance. For the few who play strictly for the romance storyline, I can't imagine them staying around long. It's a nice fun little side thing, but nothing more than that.

That's fine if you don't like it but some people do. Saying that they should just go read a novel instead is like telling the PvP people to **** off and go play Halo. It's not the same thing.

Like many of you I am disappointed as well. While I like most of the companions, and romance (Andronikos, Vector, Torian, Aric) options, I think more could have been done. For example, the female Sith Warrior, who gets a romance (Quinn who I HATE) and a hint at a romance (Pierce). I think, not just for SW, there should have been two options for romance.

Additionally, being a Scourge fangirl I would have LOVED for my Jedi Knight to romance him. He fit her SO much better than Doc. Who she only saw as someone to scratch that itch.

Edited by Amadahy

Returning player here and definitely have my gripes with the romances. As my signature points out why can't my consular romance Zenith? He is much more dynamic then Iresso who you get far to late in the story line to care for.

I am enjoying Aric Jorgan more then I thought I would, it took a lot of work to get him even in flirt mode but it hasn't been too bad. Doc was okay for me as well specially coming off of playing a consular who has the worst romance options in the game to me :(

Quinn is shaping up to me to be another Aric type im going to have to work harder for him think its because I am playing an alien? I dunno I like my twi'lek sith though.

And Corso what the hell man?

he punched my shoulder when we finally hit the pinnacle of the romance

..seriously it was like something from freaking kindergarten (put the text in spoilers just in case someone hasn't gotten that far with the goofy country boy yet). And seriously flirt options still suck heck id even take female on female flirt options at this point because the male ones are boring. Even that Alderaan noble for my smuggler *yawn* Though I will say I did enjoy making Aric jealous with that SIS agent wish I could have taken that a little further :D

Quinn is shaping up to me to be another Aric type im going to have to work harder for him think its because I am playing an alien? I dunno I like my twi'lek sith though.

Quinn is very professional, you're his superior and he's on your ship to server you (in a professional maner xD). Although he seems to look down on aliens, I don't think it would matter with the SW since you outrank him as a Sith, and the ability to play as 'unintended' races was added after the convos, so it should be the same as for a Human, Pure blood, Cyborg or Zabrak.

Depending on what you say to him, you can get a better idea of whether or not he really finds you flirting with him a nuisance :p

But for that you'd need to have your finger on the ESC button ready to repeat the convo with different options :D I'm finding that with Quinn, it's really worthwhile to explore all the dialog options, class story and companion dialog

[Edit]

The first character I played was a Consular, and I wasn't that into Tharan or Iresso, not that we can go far with Tharan anyway, it would have to be the weirdest way to break up ever! xD I remember thinking, 'Uh... what just happened?' As for Iresso, there isn't a lot to it, very rushed... I'm also a fan of Zenith, too bad he wont get the option to romance him down the track. Hopefully they'll add some more 'in depth' relationships with the new companions :)

As for Vette on my Male SW, I liked how everytime you flirted with her it seemed to go over her head (appart from the affection gains), and then when you reach Act 2 she asks you about something you said previously, and why you chose her. It's really sweet and shows how much depth there is to her romance and character.

Edited by Ithilwen

That's good to know about Quinn I really like the way he is though the professional types are always stuffy at first then more fun later (at least it seems that way with Jorgan to he was such a hard case now hes requesting others go on leave so we can have alone time lol).

I am really not impressed with my smugglers romance though if they put same sex stuff in I may go with Spar over Corso shes way tougher looking and acting and doesn't shove you around like a child lol.

The Vette romance sounds like fun I still don't understand the Iresso thing honestly by the time I got him it was like meh another person on my consulars ship that I had no want for. Future companions will probably be just as rushed for that class to it seems to me they want you to prefer to stay alone at least that was the only option I felt choosing since Zenith is not an option. Tharan gave me the willies from the beginning I had a feeling he was all freaky for his hologram so I mostly ignored flirt options with him. And Doc maybe over sexed and had far more ex girlfriends then I liked but coming from my sage's story line it was a breath of fresh air :)

And Doc maybe over sexed and had far more ex girlfriends then I liked but coming from my sage's story line it was a breath of fresh air :)

One thing that really does improve the romances, in my experience, is playing their weaknesses off against each other in different playthroughs to enjoy the resulting changes of pace. Quite by accident I went like so:

Corso: AUGH AUGH THE PATRIARCHY HAS LATCHED ONTO MY FACE AND I CAN'T GET RID OF IT, SOMEBODY GET ME A CROWBAR PLEASE

followed by

Kaliyo: Do whatever the hell you want, and feel free to be antagonistic, she'll give as good as she gets; easy come, easy go; wildly mixed signals

followed by

Quinn: No signals; patience is the name of the game, and yes, he'll be agonizing over rules and proper roles the whole time

followed by

Andronikos: Direct, unvarnished, informal, doesn't even care you're Sith

followed by

Elara: Shy, reserved, intensely aware of the rules, yet both sweet and, once she starts opening up, charmingly self-assured

Any one by itself might have gotten obnoxious (except Kaliyo, that crazy witch, I never get tired of her), but in sequence they were really amusing.

Edited by bright_ephemera

I think they could have done more with the romances and hopefully they will in the future. My first romance was femConsular with Iresso and it was a little boring and happened much too late in the game. I'm enjoying my bromance between Corso and my Smuggler guy right now, but alas, it's platonic. It's better written than an "official" romance, mind you.

It's kind of hard not to compare romances with other Bioware titles like Mass Effect and Dragon Age and feel kind of disappointed about it. First there's only OGR and the existing romances then just kind of stop. There's no evolution whatsoever.

I realize creating an MMO brings restrictions and there are so many chars to deal with. But now that F2P is implemented, I wish they'd really get some more story content going which would also include romances.

And a little more depth /variety/drama would be in order.

Edited by Lent_San

• 1 month later...
I wish there was more romance options for females. In the beginning, the female consular could romance either theran, zenith, or iresso. However, for Theran it was more like a one-night stand because of his jealous holographic girlfriend or whatever she is to him. Then for some reason, they decided that Iresso should be the only one that the female consular should romance with. I don't understand why that if you play a female you could only romance one person and it may not even be the person you want to romance, but if you play a guy you have different women to choose from.

I wish there was more romance options for females. In the beginning, the female consular could romance either theran, zenith, or iresso. However, for Theran it was more like a one-night stand because of his jealous holographic girlfriend or whatever she is to him. Then for some reason, they decided that Iresso should be the only one that the female consular should romance with. I don't understand why that if you play a female you could only romance one person and it may not even be the person you want to romance, but if you play a guy you have different women to choose from.

It's not like MaleConsulars have multiple options. They get one option, and it's the last companion they get.

It probably all depended on the writer(s) of the class story line. I know I would have liked the option for Talos on my Inquisitor.

I'm enjoying Quinn on my Warrior. :) Sadly, it seems best to keep him on the ship to romance, and run with Jaesa or Vette for my cutscenes, as Quinn seems to hate all my choices in storyline cutscenes. :p

As for Corso, I really wish SGR for companions would happen, so I can choose a different companion. Lent can have Corso, gaaaaah, love his combat lines, but other than that he can stay just a friend.

Male Empire best has got to be Dark Jaesa, if you can remember the 90's the character of Malorie Knox might seem familiar which for a Dark 4 or Dark 5 rated SW is quite expected.It goes down hill from here, even Kaliyo complains when you sell out Watcher to Jadus... come on is this the same Rattataki? :eek:

Haven't fully developed Vette on the Light SW but, a hint is that it does help to go LS if you're building conversation affection while she does build some from dark choices they are too few and far between. That said LS Jaesa is horribly demure and I can approve of no romancing there... For the 'Pubs tops goes to Akaavi, she has personality and not the grating kind. With Risha I couldn't get past two major things, the biggest being that she seemed entirely useless for the first act and second was her additude -Curse you for not letting me ditch her on Taris BW! :mad: Dorne!:mad: Imperial disappointment I would sum up in Mako though to add some realism the IA Opt-out on Voss should be avaible to all classes and genders.

[:Spoiler:] Female IA can opt to marry a Voss to gain entry to the Dark Heart. Which if your romancable compainion hasn't gotten remotely serious by Voss or proven less than ideal this would be a great fix, in the style of a Vette phobia "Have I ever mentioned I have a fear of commitment...not limited to mental wards. [:End Spoiler:]

In the spirit of comparing Bioware past to present the KOTOR 1 & to a lesser extent 2 were far more believable, Revan's humour response of Bastilla giving a compliment was priceless. Contrast with present, I have to go Exar Kun to make Consular anything other than dull, Nadia also seems to come too late even in 'guest' status making it seem incredibly rushed - just a thought there.

What can be learned here? Romance is gradual, Rushing the subject or completely oblivious reactions are extremities prone to failure. Humour is great, with Vette the laughs have kept it from falling flat.

Edited by Antisthienes

My female Rattataki Sentinel flirted a little with Doc when she first met him, but then he made a disparaging comment about T7, so, welcome to the friendzone, Doc!

She had to shoot him down hard a little while later, and he didn't take it terribly well. I felt kind of bad for him, but it was his own fault for insulting my character's steadfast friend like that.

I think the main reason for the lack of alien romances for females is, women in general just aren't as interested in sleeping with aliens as men are. Your average woman is more likely to find the idea silly or icky than enticing.

It's partly because a man can sow his seed and move on, while a woman is stuck with the results of said sowing. And it's partly because men are more visually oriented than women; if it looks good, and is physically compatible, a man is interested.

Gamer women think a little differently from ordinary women in that respect; their greater interest in sci-fi and fantasy is more likely to manifest in an interest in some inhuman lovin'. They're more likely to view non-humans as... close enough. I think BioWare sort of overlooked that, but I also think they were trying to tap into the interests of normal, non-gamer men and women. Normal, non-gamer men would still like to sleep with an alien. Normal, non-gamer women would not.

The situation would be different if we interacted with humanoid aliens in real life; then, women would find them just as interesting as men do. Basically, gamer women just have an easier time imagining themselves in such a world, and reacting accordingly.

When you have a license with mass-market appeal like Star Wars, you're hoping to draw in those people who like the Star Wars movies but haven't tried gaming yet, in addition to experienced gamers who are drawn in because it's a new Star Wars MMO (or even just a new MMO in general). So, they stuck with the traditional views of men and women on xenophilia.

Edited by nateslice

For me, I think the worst part of the romances are the fact that Jaesa is the only companion that can actively be swayed to either the dark or light side based on your actions. She's the only remnant of KOTOR 2's system of having your companions physical appearance and their demeanor changing because of the decisions YOU make. That, for me is a bad design option.

For me Doc was one of the most fun romances that I have done. Just because it didn't turn out the way I expected it to.

I was so certain that this would be the convo in which he admitted having feelings for my JK, the move forward to some romantic smootching. Nope, instead my JK got stuck on the ship with his old flame while he saved a hut on Hutta. Brilliant. He is a flirt, but I always got the feeling that it was because he assumed that my JK would never be interested in a deeper relationship, all that "no commitment"-stuff the Jedi keep saying. The moment when you actually told him that you wanted a serious commitment he turned off auto-fun-flirt and actually started thinking about the future with a Jedi. The wedding-scene was really sweet as well.

I played my JK after romancing both Anders and Fenris with my FemHawkes in DA2, after those two very angsty guys it was wonderful just to have such a fun romance to play through. It didn't turn out the way I thought it would, and it was really very very sweet in the end. It is also fun to see how different people feel about the companions. I love Doc to bits, and nothing would make me happier than to kick Lord Scourge of the ship, I don't find him appealing at all. Quinn was very nice, but a little on the boring side for me. Might just be me who had a slump in SWTOR at the time. The Quinncident also took a little imagination to sort out.

Different people like different things, as usual :p

I actually got really bummed when I first learned the options for female and light side were gimped.

So far, I've only run through two stories: Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular. I'm working on my smuggler but Corso just seems.... creepy? Someone else mentioned restraining order and I defiantly got that vibe from him too. Doc is ugly as all sin, so I hope there's some sort of redeeming quality for him.

Quinn's got this bedroom voice going on which made it a bit awkward for my male Sith Warrior whenever his battle cry RGN chose "Didn't lose you"...

As a female gamer, some of these choices are really flat out disturbing... does Bioware not have any female employees to help screen this stuff?

Since there's only a few flirt options, would it really have been so bad to get romance options for every single companion so we can actually have a choice?

Level 20-something and someone remarked that Zenith and my Twi Consular character looked like a really cute couple. Now that's the only thing swimming around in my head.

I'm really disappointed that my options for my dark side Consular is "nice guy" Irreso or the narcissistic, pacifist creep with a holo gf. Neither of which would turn out well in a real relationship... Can I not have Zenith for my dark side Twi girl? He seems to love all the choices I make, so why not?

I'm also casting my vote for the Khem Val boink suggestion.

Edited by -Firestar-

Of the two characters I've played through to 50, one seemed to have a natural progression for a romance with a companion who didn't seem phased by all the potential chaos and complications, and one had only the option that felt like they'd be sleeping with their younger sibling.

The latter, despite not being played as a homosexual character, would have been a more natural fit with one of the NPCs of the same gender, who seemed more of an equal and had been there from the beginning as a partner instead of a student/employee/protege.

(I'm being a bit vague to see who can recognize the class/companion in question in each instance.)

Of the two characters I've played through to 50, one seemed to have a natural progression for a romance with a companion who didn't seem phased by all the potential chaos and complications, and one had only the option that felt like they'd be sleeping with their younger sibling.

The latter, despite not being played as a homosexual character, would have been a more natural fit with one of the NPCs of the same gender, who seemed more of an equal and had been there from the beginning as a partner instead of a student/employee/protege.

(I'm being a bit vague to see who can recognize the class/companion in question in each instance.)

The latter sounds like Bounty Hunter. The former can be a few of them I think.