KOTFEET was at the very least FRESH, worried Onslaught story will be a boring rehash

Pietrastor

Imp vs Rep again, Malgus again, same characters as in already-year-old Ossus. I'm worried the story will be a boring rehash of what we've already seen in TOR. 90% of the extensive vanilla game's story concerned Imp vs Rep. Malgus already had his rise-and-conquer arc on Ilum. Even Tau & Anri are old news at this point. Apart from Tau's Padawan, you couldn't guess the 6.0 loading screen is from new expansion instead of Ossus.

Say what you want about KOTFEET story & setting (whether good or bad) but it WAS objectively mostly fresh piece of story addition to TOR. It introduced a major shakeup to the state of the galaxy, power balance, cast of characters etc. It added brand new large faction, multiple planets, myths, cultures and all. It was a layered story with multiple concurrent plot threads (Zakuul-Emperor, Iokath-Scorpio) that both intertwined and separated at various points. It had mysteries & suspense that slowly got uncovered.

Can't see anything yet that would suggest 6.0 will be anything else than a very uninspired, straight-forward and unintriguing Imp (led by Malgus) versus Rep story we've seen in the game and other SW products countless times.

Edited by Pietrastor

Imp vs Rep again, Malgus again, same characters as in already-year-old Ossus. I'm worried the story will be a boring rehash of what we've already seen in TOR. 90% of the extensive vanilla game's story concerned Imp vs Rep. Malgus already had his rise-and-conquer arc on Ilum. Even Tau & Anri are old news at this point. Apart from Tau's Padawan, you couldn't guess the 6.0 loading screen is from new expansion instead of Ossus.

Say what you want about KOTFEET story & setting (whether good or bad) but it WAS objectively mostly fresh piece of story addition to TOR. It introduced a major shakeup to the state of the galaxy, power balance, cast of characters etc. It added brand new large faction, multiple planets, myths, cultures and all. It was a layered story with multiple concurrent plot threads (Zakuul-Emperor, Iokath-Scorpio) that both intertwined and separated at various points. It had mysteries & suspense that slowly got uncovered.

Can't see anything yet that would suggest 6.0 will be anything else than a very uninspired, straight-forward and unintriguing Imp (led by Malgus) versus Rep story we've seen in the game and other SW products countless times.

While I agree with you about not expecting much fresh storytelling from Onslaught, I have to disagree with you about FE/ET being any better. In the larger realm of storytelling, every aspect of FE/ET was tired. Most of the interesting aspects you mentioned, new planets, characters, cultures and plot threads were severely underdeveloped and disappointing.

Meh, I'll wait until we actually see the story before making any judgments.

It has always been BW's way to be quite mum on the story of upcoming expansions (for obvious reasons). Think of Ossus like Forged Alliances, it introduced the characters and SOR told the story. The gap between he 2 is just much longer this time.

I think one of the biggest problems for both the writers and our MC moving into Onslaught is the amount of power we have amassed at this point, even with the consequences of the Traitor Arc. Our character has gone through countless trials, and has defeated the Emperor himself, along with his children. If the story can introduce struggles beyond the physical challenges they have thrown at us up until this point, then I think they can manage to create a genuinely compelling, maybe even complex conflict for the Commander.

Also, and everyone already knows this, but companions are a large problem as well. It sounds like there will be a larger emphasis placed on relationships with our companions in Onslaught, but we shall see.

I always have felt that this game has shined because of its story and the characters within, how they grapple with issues both internal and external. One of my favorite parts has been tackling the question of light vs dark, as it's a big theme in Star Wars, of course. I hope with the reintroduction of Republic vs Empire, the writers provide a new take on this action. So, not a rehash in the sense that it hits all the same beats in a very dull manner, rather we see thematic similarities, but new viewpoints, matured just like our characters have.

KOTET / KOTFE story was very good and I enjoyed them a lot....

What came after that was trully spacebar worthy stories that culminated with Ossus..... I spacebarred through all of that yawn fest.

Totally boring and uninspired story. I have a feeling Onslaught won't be any different. ;) We will see.

Objectively, FE was a disaster and ET was an attempt to recover from that, and you'll note more objectively it took your character all of 2 in game years to destroy everything the EE was, to depose the royal family and then lose it all to some one dimensional villain who was seeking to destroy everything you built up. What was the point in it in the end? Zakuul that is.

After almost 8 years as a "power" and "seat of government", how it all collapsed so quickly leading to a message from Consul Axion stating that Zakuul is retreating from everything, including their sovereign colony worlds while they go off to fight in civil wars of their own. They arrived as fast as they left and added nothing to the galaxy at large. Objectively, when will Zakuul return to at the very least influence galactic events in a different way once more?

You can't be objective to a new storyline that we know not much about and recklessly speculate that it will be a rehash; it would imply Malgus will turn on Acina/Vowrawn, you and secure the empire for himself so he can bring in alien alliances again, leading to a civil war where Malgus is slain in combat again, and curiously he is found and revived again by another sith lord. If it is nothing like that then it is not a rehash.

Edited by Celise

I agree that kotfe+kotet was a fresh take on the story, however it laked in replayability (mainly because of the lack of class/personalized story) and, quite frankly, made very litle sense for non-force users. I've run them about 4 full times, very slowly, because i quickly get bored of all the trash cleaning, in small areas, almost like going corridor-slighty large area-corridor-tidbit of story-corridor and loop it. I don't have this issue with Vanila, i still create characters from the beggining to run the stories including most planet stories, and usually park them at kotfe start.

Unfortunately if i want my characters to remain true to themselves i have to run the thing with my empire characters, and a couple republic, because i usually tend to the lighter runs and the way BW "arranged" to skip it is republic=good/empire=evil.

I know that BW currently doesn't have the budget/personnel/time to do a full replayable grand story but i hope for some class favor (1 or 2 quests per planet/area) to increase replayability. And let's not forget that you'll probably be able to change sides, so i hope there's something fresh there, because going from empire to republic, and vice-versa, and just do the new story just like you were always from that side, is going to be quite a disapointment.

I have no interest in new story. I want good story based on traditional Star Wars content. Malgus was good story and appears to be heading that way again.

Malgus *in*JUS* suffers greatly from being yet another person who doesn't die when you kill them, which is a long standing and severely lame trope from comic books.

What we need is a story that bridges the gap between now and the prequels.

There will almost certainly be a small 5 minute cutscene that will tell the tale of Malgus' return, who the Sith lord was who brought him back (speculation points to Acina), it should also tell a little bit on the background of the Empire and Republic in the meanwhile.

i'd also expect certain NPC's to give some background on events wiithin both Empire and Republic during events you weren't aware of through the onslaught storyline. Aside from Meeting the Empress on DK in ET, there is no other known interaction from anyone else while back in the known worlds within any of the main storylines through FE, ET and traitor storylines, and so interaction is very limited to events to Iokath and Copero for example.

While I loved KOTFE/KOTET, with KOTET being my favorite expansions story-wise, I'm kind of looking forward to Onslaught. Why? Well because the Galactic War has been a background noise in the story for years now, you hear about it but you might even fight in it for 5 minutes but then the story de-rails into fighting yet another third faction. Before Ossus.

The last time we had content truly dedicated to war had been KDY. Forged Alliances de-railed into fighting the Revanites; KOTFE and KOTET had us fighting the Eternal Empire and War for Iokath de-railed into fighting the Order of Zildrog. So everytime we get time dedicated to the war again... we go fight yet another third-faction, I was pleasantly surprised with Ossus not de-railing us into yet another third-faction appearing out of nowhere and us having to fight it. Give me enough time on the war, and to learn what has happened in it.

The last time we had content truly dedicated to war had been KDY. Forged Alliances de-railed into fighting the Revanites; KOTFE and KOTET had us fighting the Eternal Empire and War for Iokath de-railed into fighting the Order of Zildrog. So everytime we get time dedicated to the war again... we go fight yet another third-faction, I was pleasantly surprised with Ossus not de-railing us into yet another third-faction appearing out of nowhere and us having to fight it. Give me enough time on the war, and to learn what has happened in it.

FYI just for clarity: Your character represent a third faction, the alliance is still another faction regardless if it is allied to the republic or the empire. so when your boots set foot on that dusty surface of Ossus? you represent that third faction, a third faction i might add that is in fighting with one of the factions for control of Ossus. :p

During your time in SoR and KDY, you were apart of one of the two big factions and the alliance didn't exist.

Umm, what did you expect - cowboys vs indians, Alliance vs Horde? :D

Problem is the story is delivered at such a glacier's pace. Ossus was a few hours then nothing until 6.0. Now we'll knock this out and wait for a looooong time. Episodic treatment(new content) vs Season bingeing(old content). I hope they have a larger plan installed because little drips don't cut it. Seems like they're winging it. Guess we'll see, eh?

While I loved KOTFE/KOTET, with KOTET being my favorite expansions story-wise, I'm kind of looking forward to Onslaught. Why? Well because the Galactic War has been a background noise in the story for years now, you hear about it but you might even fight in it for 5 minutes but then the story de-rails into fighting yet another third faction. Before Ossus.

I agree with all of this. I mostly enjoyed Kotfe and Kotet, but it's nice to finally have a dedicated Republic vs Empire story again, our characters kept getting distracted from it.

I enjoyed KOTFE/KOTET and I'm also looking forward to a return to the Imp/Pub conflict. The only thing I'm concerned about is if our character will continue to be treated like a lackey, or will we actually have some agency. I hope the alliance actually supports our character's missions this time around also.

FYI just for clarity: Your character represent a third faction, the alliance is still another faction regardless if it is allied to the republic or the empire. so when your boots set foot on that dusty surface of Ossus? you represent that third faction, a third faction i might add that is in fighting with one of the factions for control of Ossus. :p

Yes, but I'm not fighting another third faction. I AM THE THIRD FACTION:rak_03:

Problem is the story is delivered at such a glacier's pace. Ossus was a few hours then nothing until 6.0. Now we'll knock this out and wait for a looooong time. Episodic treatment(new content) vs Season bingeing(old content). I hope they have a larger plan installed because little drips don't cut it. Seems like they're winging it. Guess we'll see, eh?

This. The story in this game is dead. Even though it really isn't dead, it comes out so slow and few and far between that by the time it really does continue I have no idea what the hell is going on. This game is nothing more than a dailies grind or warzone grind, flashpoint grind etc. There's just no point anymore.